Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightline/Parcel Motel Thread Part 2 (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I wouldn't bank on that. When we get it officially from revenue I'll believe it. Its like yet another extension to the extension to the extension.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

whiterebel wrote: »
    Yes, you will. Unless it is a company who collects Irish VAT such as Amazon
    I would think that as long as it has arrived in Northern Ireland by the 31st, then it's home and dry. But it's impossible to be completely certain!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

macplaxton wrote: »
    I sent two parcels last week (Tue 8th)

Destination Glasgow - loaded into locker 09:27, collected 15:57 - no further scans. Phoned just now and parcel is stuck in export backlog, supposedly being worked around/fixed. Estimated delivery late in the week or maybe next week. 5 working days and counting.

Update: Apparently arrived yesterday (so 6 days altogether) with the recipient. It seems that in sending it to the UK, whatever Nightlife/UPS system it goes into going off the island hasn't yet tied together the tracking details of both legs of the journey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Dub81

anyone know what parcel motel are doing i rang them but she just said keep an eye on the website?

DPD parcel wizard virtual address is gone i usedthem all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

Update: Apparently arrived yesterday (so 6 days altogether) with the recipient. It seems that in sending it to the UK, whatever Nightlife/UPS system it goes into going off the island hasn't yet tied together the tracking details of both legs of the journey.

One of my packages has (finally) a UPS tracking number associated with it (as of 8.30pm tonight). Looks like deliveries to the UK are starting to move again.....maybe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

If there is a no deal brexit will parcel motel be subject to taxes for people in the Republic who order stuff from the UK ?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭kalych

Big Gerry wrote: »
    If there is a no deal brexit will parcel motel be subject to taxes for people in the Republic who order stuff from the UK ?

That's the expectation. Can't see it being anything else apart from PM closing down the NI depot entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Parcel Motel seems to be leaving it to the last minute to announce their plan. Parcel Wizard already shut and Addresspal have already communicated changes from 1st January. If PM was closing down completely surely they would have told customers by now of a cut of date for deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

This was on another thread.
    https://www.moneyguideireland.com/irish-customs-duty-on-uk-online-purchases.html
    If a Brexit Deal is Agreed

It is almost certain that any agreed EU/UK trade deal will mean no Irish customs Duty on any goods bought online in the UK and delivered to a person in Ireland. This is not guaranteed – but it is very likely.

We all hope that a deal will be agreed before long.
    Irsh Customs Duty Amounts in the Event of No Deal Brexit

Should the UK and EU fail to agree on a deal, all goods traded between the UK and the EU from January 1st 2021 will default to being traded on “WTO terms”.

Under World Trade Organisation (WTO) Terms – the tariffs charged by the EU on goods from the UK will be the same as those charged to all the other countries that the EU does not have a free-trade agreement (FTA) with . This is often referred to as trading ‘on WTO terms’.

These “Third Country” tariffs/duties are already in place between the EU and several other countries (the USA for example). So we can check what the rates of Irish customs duty will be on specific products from Jan 2021.

There is more on the page

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭5star02707

it's getting busier now. usually i have my parcel in the locker within 24 hours reaching the depot
    now it takes 2 to 3 days before they put in the locker

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

One of my packages has (finally) a UPS tracking number associated with it (as of 8.30pm tonight). Looks like deliveries to the UK are starting to move again.....maybe!

It'd be interesting to see if the physical parcel arrives way ahead of the tracking or not. (Last check just there still doesn't have any further tracking events)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gally79

dan786 wrote: »
    Parcel Motel seems to be leaving it to the last minute to announce their plan. Parcel Wizard already shut and Addresspal have already communicated changes from 1st January. If PM was closing down completely surely they would have told customers by now of a cut of date for deliveries.

I assume it will all depend on the agreement concerning goods entering Northern Ireland from mainland UK. There shouldn't be any customs checks between North and the South of Ireland. But that will all depend on the ongoing trade deal talks between UK and the EU.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Dub81

5star02707 wrote: »
    it's getting busier now. usually i have my parcel in the locker within 24 hours reaching the depot
    now it takes 2 to 3 days before they put in the locker

5 days now and still waiting, DPD parcel wizard were so much faster and cheaper

Dub81 wrote: »
    5 days now and still waiting, DPD parcel wizard were so much faster and cheaper

same, my parcels arrived on Thursday at the Dublin depot but have still not been stored.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

Gally79 wrote: »
    same, my parcels arrived on Thursday at the Dublin depot but have still not been stored.

I'm having a worse issue here.

O5Qvckd.png

Arrived on the 8th, hasn't been stored in a locker yet and now it's marked as delivered. I'm already onto their support to try and find out where my parcel is.

3wayswitch wrote: »

O5Qvckd.png

Arrived on the 8th, hasn't been stored in a locker yet and now it's marked as delivered. I'm already onto their support to try and find out where my parcel is.

Ring them - 1890 321 890

O5Qvckd.png

Be warned, if you item does turn up again, you will be charged for another stay! Cheeky gits have done this to me before!

It'd be interesting to see if the physical parcel arrives way ahead of the tracking or not. (Last check just there still doesn't have any further tracking events)

I received a message today from one recipient to say thanks for the item. It arrived this morning but the tracking information on the PM website still shows it as outbound (??).

Tracking an item has turned in to a game of Pot luck now I guess !

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

kalych wrote: »
    That's the expectation. Can't see it being anything else apart from PM closing down the NI depot entirely.

If parcel motel closes down "Republicans" may set up an alternative service to parcel motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Dublinandy3

I assume it will all depend on the agreement concerning goods entering Northern Ireland from mainland UK. There shouldn't be any customs checks between North and the South of Ireland. But that will all depend on the ongoing trade deal talks between UK and the EU.

I have a parcel2go account in both the uk and Ireland. My UK account got an email saying that any goods to NI are subject to a customs charge once Brexit kicks in.

This means if it's being sent to the parcel motel depot then you will get hit with charges I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

I have a parcel2go account in both the uk and Ireland. My UK account got an email saying that any goods to NI are subject to a customs charge once Brexit kicks in.

This means if it's being sent to the parcel motel depot then you will get hit with charges I'd imagine.

I'd think that Northern Ireland would be considered as destination for all goods coming from Uk Mainlaind , therfore no charges would apply.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I'd think that Northern Ireland would be considered as destination for all goods coming from Uk Mainlaind , therfore no charges would apply.
    There will be a customs barrier of some sort between GB and NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭kalych

Not a chance. The Revenue weren't born yesterday. The first companies they've probably spoken to about not soliciting tariff avoidance are courier companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Dublinandy3

I'm only telling you what it says, not my opinion. Here is the email word for word (please remember this is aimed at a UK customer):

As you are probably aware the UK has now left the EU. So, what does this mean for your parcel deliveries to Northern Ireland?

There will be some changes but we’ve made it as easy as possible to help you comply with the added information needed when sending a parcel.

You will need to be aware of the following changes:

Tariff Codes – Such as Harmonised System (HS) or Commodity Codes will be required to help custom officials identify goods when going over the border. Within the Parcel2Go order process you will now need to complete an additional straightforward step.
    Customs Clearance – Rules surrounding customs clearance will change, meaning goods passing from the UK to Northern Ireland will be treated as exports. Specific documentation will need to be provided to clear customs borders which will be provided by Parcel2Go.

For more information about these changes, check out the link below.

https://www.parcel2go.com/brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

I had something signed for and delivered to Newtownabbey lunch time last Thursday. Arrived at the Dublin Depot on Monday, and was put in a locker last night. So about a week from delivery up North to locker in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Commissar

I had something signed for and delivered to Newtownabbey lunch time last Thursday. Arrived at the Dublin Depot on Monday, and was put in a locker last night. So about a week from delivery up North to locker in Dublin

Though in your case, Dave, did Parcel Motel (if it is PM) track the package from it's arrival or were you waiting until it arrived to the locker before the website informed you about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

Commissar wrote: »
    Though in your case, Dave, did Parcel Motel (if it is PM) track the package from it's arrival or were you waiting until it arrived to the locker before the website informed you about it?

Yeah it is PM. I got the email on Monday say it has arrived in the Dublin Depot, and then the text/email last night with the pin. The tracking history on the website says the same.

14/12/2020, 12:54 Parcel Motel In Transit
    17/12/2020, 00:08 Parcel Motel Stored

I was keeping an eye on the Royal Mail site as well with that tracking number so knew when it was in Belfast, but the first that PM told me anything was when it hit Dublin.

It was actually the third time someone was trying to send an order to me from mainland UK. The first was posted on the 19th of October, I got on to him after two weeks and he says that Royal Mail say it is in it's destination country as of the 22st of October. Gave it another two weeks to to see if it needed time to work through the system but no joy so he made up another one, and posted it off on the 12th of November. Got back on to him on the 4th of December, told him that I had something from Wimbledon posted on this date arrive on this date, something from outside Glasgow posted on this and arrived on this etc and asked can he confirm the addresses were as I entered or resembled something along the lines of xxxx, and that it was going as International and not Domestic. Told him that I'd no reason to suspect anything dodgy from him, that he has his website, social media, and a fairly decent sales on his etsy site and that the only thing I could offer was that as he would know, what I was ordering you would only ever need one of. You would never need two or three so he refunded and I ordered again with PM as the address. Still have no idea what Royal Mail or An Post have done with the first two though. :o

Ring them - 1890 321 890

Just an update on this.

So it appears my parcel was put in a Nightline van instead of a Parcelmotel van. The Nightline driver then delivered my parcel to the Circle K garage itself instead of putting into a Parcel Motel locker at the same location.

Thankfully the garage kept my parcel behind their counter so I was able to get it from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

Just an update on this.

So it appears my parcel was put in a Nightline van instead of a Parcelmotel van. The Nightline driver then delivered my parcel to the Circle K garage itself instead of putting into a Parcel Motel locker at the same location.

Thankfully the garage kept my parcel behind their counter so I was able to get it from them.

Jesus that is staggering incompetence.

• Advertisement

Jesus that is staggering incompetence.

I wouldn't have minded so much, but no one reached out to me to let me know that my parcel has been behind the counter of the petrol station for the past two days. Had I not called them, god knows what would have happened to it.

Advertisement