Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McGregor brawl in Dublin Pub (allegedly).

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Why do people get so wound up and offended by him? It doesn't make any sense.

If people weren’t so wound up by scumbags AH would have a fraction of the traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

MysticMonk wrote: »
    Money is not peace of mind. Money's not happiness. money is, at its essence, that measure of man's choices.

Would these "sports people" friends of yours be competing on the international stage,at the highest level n the most popular sport in televised history?

My guess is no....playing hurling at the weekends and working in Mace during the week is hardly in the same league.

Bitter people will be bitter.

Has McGregor ever competed in a World Cup Final or Superbowl?? :confused::confused::confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

He had the time and energy to train. He was on the dole while he did a lot his training. It's not like he was holding down a highly pressurised job and training outside of his work. Not exactly juggling was he.

Just hope he gives back a lot to society. He should remember that it was the ordinary tax payer who allowed him to have free time in the past.

Tell me more about these dozens of elite sportsmen you know...are they working a night job in a foundry to put themselves through whatever training they are so engaged in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

He had the time and energy to train. He was on the dole while he did a lot his training. It's not like he was holding down a highly pressurised job and training outside of his work. Not exactly juggling was he.

Just hope he gives back a lot to society. He should remember that it was the ordinary tax payer who allowed him to have free time in the past.

Do you expect the same off every person in the country who ever signed on Rose? That's a silly statement to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Would these "sports people" friends of yours be competing on the international stage,at the highest level n the most popular sport in televised history?

Ah hold on, are you calling MMA the most popular sport in televised history?

I'm as big a fan of MMA as anybody but that's a load of toot.

If you're specifically referring to the McGregor vs Mayweather fight I'd say that's still a load of toot. The world cup final is the most viewed sporting event I believe.

• Advertisement

Has McGregor ever competed in a World Cup Final or Superbowl?? :confused::confused::confused:

The MMA equivalent,yes.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Ah hold on, are you calling MMA the most popular sport in televised history?

I'm as big a fan of MMA as anybody but that's a load of toot.

If you're specifically referring to the McGregor vs Mayweather fight I'd say that's still a load of toot. The world cup final is the most viewed sporting event I believe.

Ah now..semantics semantics.

PPV numbers for MMA are enormous. People can watch the crappy world cup from their homes or from the pub.

I get your point but then you get mine too?

ironically "Coach Kavanagh" said the reason that he'd never fight in Ireland now is because he'd have to pay too much tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Tell me more about these dozens of elite sportsmen you know...are they working a night job in a foundry to put themselves through whatever training they are so engaged in?

I know plenty of GAA players who play county who don't get paid to train but none of them are on the dole either. They might get the cost of petrol to travel to and from training and free sports gear but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

If the media hadn't shown up to that courthouse this morning, he wouldn't have been as brash. It's all a show for him and these puppets are doing exactly what he wants.

Perhaps if he'd bothered his hole showing up for the first two hearings, the media wouldn't have been quite so interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Money is not peace of mind. Money's not happiness. money is, at its essence, that measure of man's choices.

My guess is no....playing hurling at the weekends and working in Mace during the week is hardly in the same league.

Bitter people will be bitter.

Ah get a grip. Typical condescending Mcg fanboy post. I know girls under 14 that spend 14 hours a week on the water rowing. Any half decent swimmer trains 20 a week. A triathlete would easily do 25 and a full time job.

The O'Donovan's were on 35-40 a week for Rio, pure graft, all weathers, for nada.

Nothing bitter about my post. I just don't equate money with sporting success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The MMA equivalent,yes.

So he hasn't competed anywhere near "the most popular sport in televised history"

Glad that's sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

glasso wrote: »
    ironically "Coach Kavanagh" said the reason that he'd never fight in Ireland now is because he'd have to pay too much tax.

I just hope he gives back what he took out. Even if he's not paying tax, maybe develop youth centres in his area or something that will benefit people that are in poverty, like he was once upon a time. Even if he pulled one person out of a life of poverty.

I taught in the area he comes from and I know how socially deprived some parts of Dublin 12 are. Be great to see him do more good is all I'm saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

To be fair he's very generous in his local area by all accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I don't really care about any of this but I had to laugh at the footage of him rocking up to court in that car with the music blaring, leaving it there with the door open, and then speeding off after been given a fine for speeding.
    I don't know why but it made me laugh.

Ah get a grip. Typical condescending Mcg fanboy post. I know girls under 14 that spend 14 hours a week on the water rowing.

Not during the winter they don't.

I'm a rower myself and we're the only east coast club that trains throughout the year.

Imagine if mcgregor and other high-end athletes stopped training between October and May..they wouldn't get very far would they.

Anyway rowing is a terrible example as it's not a sport that attracts millions of viewers no matter how big the Regata is and for our christmas row this year we struggled to find anything even approaching sponsorship,despite it being for charity.

How long was he in court for anyway?..he didn't gas and tap out did he?

How long was he in court for anyway?..he didn't gas and tap out did he?

No idea what gas and tap out means. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Couldn't wear a pants to court? Or a shirt?

seachto7 wrote: »
    Couldn't wear a pants to court? Or a shirt?

In Dublin pants means underwear so I don't think the judge would be impressed at that. ;)

He wasn't planning on turning up in court, the judge insisted he did so he drove them from wherever he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

To be fair he's very generous in his local area by all accounts

Keeping the local lads in business no doubt :pac:

pilly wrote: »

mma forum lingo..picked it up winding up McGregor fans..all the cool kids are using it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

In Dublin pants means underwear so I don't think the judge would be impressed at that. ;)

He wasn't planning on turning up in court, the judge insisted he did so he drove them from wherever he was.

Pants is underwear in the UK, you west brit

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

He trained a bit and got seriously lucky. Millions drank the Kool aid and he 'earned' massive amounts of money.

'look at all his money, he is loaded, he has so much money, money, but his money'

Money is not a measure of success or hard work. Or indeed talent. I know dozens of sports people who nobody has heard of outside of a tiny circle, who have worked longer, harder and for years more than this chump. For nothing.

He got lucky.
    But if you are talented and successful money nearly always follows. Especially in work terms anyway. Th people you are talking about obviously arent super talented or successful or people outside this tiny circle you speak of would have heard him. To say McGregor got lucky is some joke. He hasnt risen to the top based of a few lucky kicks and punches!

No No, means the same in Dublin.

Only culchies say pants.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Gas means to run out of energy.
    Tap Out is how you concede in an MMA fight, normally due to submission.

It relates to a fight where McGregor gassed (ran out of energy), tried a different strategy, evaded a few different submissions in quick succession until his opponent locked in a choke hold that forced McGregor to tap out (concede the contest).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I know plenty of GAA players who play county who don't get paid to train but none of them are on the dole either. They might get the cost of petrol to travel to and from training and free sports gear but that's about it.

None of them are on the dole because companies fall over themselves to employ inter county GAA players. I love getting CV's of GAA players because I know I'll place them without any hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Conor would understand considering his English heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

He looked every inch the spa leaving court pulling up his hoodie over his face thinking he was Martin Cahill
    a gesture repeated by the tit with him as they drove away.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Bob Harris wrote: »
    He looked every inch the spa leaving court pulling up his hoodie over his face thinking he was Martin Cahill
    a gesture repeated by the tit with him as they drove away.

I think it's safe to say he was taking the piss when he was doing that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement