Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonskeagh Mosque - Homeless

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Not true.

Well it happened my father...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

CPTM wrote: »
    Remember yur man in the tent though in the park beside Clonskeagh last year. He was there for about 8 months, including the winter..

There were 10 tents that I visited in Clonskeagh last year. They were there until the council shifted them on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

MysticMonk wrote: »
    Not true.

Well it happened my father...

Im working in hostels and day services for years , absolutely no way you can barred indefinitely from hostels for alcohol or drug use.
    He may have been excluded temporarily or they may have been violence or a behaviour issue.
    It's really difficult to barred for any amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

January wrote: »
    Those damn Mus... oh wait.

Don't see the Catholic churches doing this, do we?

God you must have been wetting yourself with the opportunity to have a pop at the catholic church and at the same time tell us how good another religion is.

See below...
    No, they set up homless shelters, charities and try to get focus on the homeless crises.

Fr. Peter McVerry does great work in this area. As do the monks who run the soup kitchens.
    Catholic organisations have been catering for the poor and destitute in Ireland for centuries? :confused:

As whataboutery goes though... :rolleyes:
    Sorry let me rephrase it. I know Catholic organisations do run centres and soup runs etc and fabulous work they do too.

I'm talking about them opening the doors of the churches themselves in local communities in times of crisis such as ophelia and when there are severe weather warnings in place.

Ehhh you just keep on trying don't you.
    But sorry I really have to burst your little crusade.

Clonskeagh is not just a mosque i..e a church.
    Or did the fact that one poster related to going there for lunch not get those little gogwheels in that brain of yours going at all. :rolleyes:

It is not just a mosque, as they are quite quick to tell you on it's website, but it is the Islamic Cultural Centre of Ireland (ICCI) and is a site with a religious school, a library, a shop, a restaurant, a creche.

Hell even in one of the articles talking about this opening to the homeless it says....
    It is inviting those in need to take shelter in its large events hall as forecasters predict a 'polar low' will bring freezing temperatures over the next few days.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/clonskeagh-mosque-opening-its-doors-to-homeless-people-ahead-of-cold-snap-815537.html

Now please tell us how many catholic churches have restaurants ?

BTW it is a good thing that the Islamic Cultural Centre of Ireland is doing, but it is nothing that probably most of the other religions in Ireland are not already involved with to some degree, i.e. helping homeless and less well off.

Of course to some it is fantastic and a offers a chance to points score.

Im working in hostels and day services for years , absolutely no way you can barred indefinitely from hostels for alcohol or drug use.
    He may have been excluded temporarily or they may have been violence or a behaviour issue.

I dont recall mentioning "indefinitely" but i can tell you he was chucked out of more than one for drinking ..and smoking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I dont recall mentioning "indefinatey" but i can tell you he was chucked out of more than one for drinking ..and smoking.

so he wasnt banned then? he was chucked out. temporarily removed for breaking hostel rules.

I dont recall mentioning "indefinatey" but i can tell you he was chucked out of more than one for drinking ..and smoking.

Ok.Maybe throw in a little more detail next time.
    I think what you're describing is a behaviour issue , no hostel just throws you out for smoking or drinking.There's a lot more going on than your describing.

so he wasnt banned then? he was chucked out. temporarily removed for breaking hostel rules.

Yes he was banned. chucked out and banned. Then he went somewhere else.

And whoever said that the majority of the "homeless" you see on the actual streets have been chucked out of hostels is correct...also a lot of people don't like staying in hostels..oftentimes they have enemies or people they've ripped off staying there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

And whoever said that the majority of the "homeless" you see on the actual streets have been chucked out of hostels is correct...also a lot of people don't like staying in hostels..oftentimes they have enemies or people they've ripped off staying there.

nobody has said that previously on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Remember this arsehole:

http://www.newsweek.com/joel-osteen-televangelist-whose-church-closed-during-hurricane-harvey-tells-659302

• Advertisement

Berserker wrote: »
    Clonskeagh mosque have decided to open their doors to the homeless for the cold snap that is on it's way. A very decent and welcome gesture by them.

Clonskeagh mosque opens it's doors.

That's mighty Christian of them :P

You're not allowed just throw people out of hostels. Often there's an intervention system with a plan out in place to sustain their residency in a bed.It's really unusual for someone to excluded the way you describe.
    Attempts are made to place them in more suitable accommodation or swap between hostels.
    The idea behind six month is to move you away from homelessness not keep you homeless.
    All sorts of support becpmes available to address whatever your needs are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Yes we do and have done for decades - the Capuchin Day Centre and the Peter McVerry Trust are two examples that spring to mind. But don’t let the facts in get in the way of a good anti Church rant whatever you do l.

A lovely gesture by the mosque imo, no need for cynicism or religion bashing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

511 wrote: »
    Exploiting vulnerable people while improving their PR image. It's the same tactics the Church of Scientology employ when their proselytising. No good intentions here at all, just looking for converts and to improve their rep.

And you know this for a fact do you?

Why is it so hard to believe that members of religious orders are for the most good honest kind people who do the things they do out of the goodness of their hearts?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

If that is the case it is no wonder so many choose to sleep on the streets. Two reasons mentioned above 1. Barred for unacceptable behavior. 2. The fact that the same are only temporarily banned and are allowed back to reoffend again.

I think you might need to investigate the different types of hostels that exist and the purpose and reasoning behind them.

It's not quite as black and white as you think.There's a loads of different types of hostels catering for different needs.Some are definitely not for the faint hearted but there's no widescale anarchy in them.

What do the mosque's neighbours think of this gesture? How many people does it have planning permission to accommodate?

you need "planning permission" to provide shelter?

topper75 wrote: »
    Bus to out Clonskeagh €1.75
    Dutch Gold can €1.75
    Decisions, decisions!

Well that won't be a difficult decision for the homeless who don't drink or for homeless children, will it?

Can't believe people are so naive, what price do you think there is for them taking homeless in ?
    You don't think they will get much converts because of this ?
    When people are at low points, they see something like this as destiny and feel obliged to give something back.

Would you ever give your arse a chance. What do you care if people become muslims? How is that any of your concern?

Exploiting vulnerable people while improving their PR image. It's the same tactics the Church of Scientology employ when their proselytising. No good intentions here at all, just looking for converts and to improve their rep.

*sigh*

• Advertisement

quintana76 wrote: »
    Can't see them allowing alcohol. If that is so they will have very few takers.They will know this fact. They need to allow alcohol to prove it is not a cheap (badly needed) bandwagon jumping publicity stunt.

Alcohol is banned in all the homeless shelters afaik

I saw the tricolour flying from outside Clonskeagh mosque yesterday morning. I never noticed that before. It was refreshing to see that given all the stories about that particular mosque. Respect. It would be nice if that community could adapt their religion to a secular society and stop the backward alliances with women-hating neanderthals and tyrannical rulers who fund these mosques. The whole "we're morally superior to your consumerist war-mongering western imperialist society" mentality is rank hypocrisy given you're party to it while making money out of western societies. It would be nice if, in 2017, people in Ireland could have a secular identity and civic responsibility to this society above their religious identity. An Irish person who is Muslim is quite different to somebody who defines himself/herself firstly as a Muslim in Ireland. And, yes, I have always believed the same about the John A Costello "I'm a Catholic first and an Irishman second" sorts.

Growing up I never knew any muslims but always liked that the only mosque in Dublin at the time had its name in the Irish, and still does. It would be nice if the Muslim community in Ireland could throw up a few people who have an affinity with our history and culture.

Like this hugely impressive English muslim:

quintana76 wrote: »
    Which is one of the main reasons why a proportion of the homeless prefer to sleep on the street.

it isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

I saw the tricolour flying from outside Clonskeagh mosque yesterday morning. I never noticed that before. It was refreshing to see that given all the stories about that particular mosque. Respect. It would be nice if that community could adapt their religion to a secular society and stop the backward alliances with women-hating neanderthals and tyrannical rulers who fund these mosques. The whole "we're morally superior to your consumerist war-mongering western imperialist society" mentality is rank hypocrisy given you're party to it while making money out of western societies. It would be nice if, in 2017, people in Ireland could have a secular identity and civic responsibility to this society above their religious identity. An Irish person who is Muslim is quite different to somebody who defines himself/herself firstly as a Muslim in Ireland. And, yes, I have always believed the same about the John A Costello "I'm a Catholic first and an Irishman second" sorts.

Growing up I never knew any muslims but always liked that the only mosque in Dublin at the time had its name in the Irish, and still does. It would be nice if the Muslim community in Ireland could throw up a few people who have an affinity with our history and culture.

Like this hugely impressive English muslim:

Sounds a bit like the good old RCC tbh.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Chrongen wrote: »
    Alcohol is banned in all the homeless shelters afaik

Nope, there are "wet" hostels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

It would be nice if that community could adapt their religion to a secular society and stop the backward alliances with women-hating neanderthals and tyrannical rulers who fund these mosques.

I get what you are saying but we could say that about other religions in Ireland. I think that this is a very decent gesture and they deserve credit for it.

As someone who has a family member who is a member of that "church", a family member who "chose" to disconnect from the rest of her family and hasn't spoken to any of her family for over 30 years, I suggest that you take some time to read up on the CoS before comparing it to any other religion. I would recommend "Beyond Belief" by Jenna Miscavige Hill. It might make you think twice.

haha

jokes on you :pac:

Some crowd might throw a slice of humble pie your way :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Can't believe people are so naive, what price do you think there is for them taking homeless in ?
    You don't think they will get much converts because of this ?
    When people are at low points, they see something like this as destiny and feel obliged to give something back.
    You would have to question the intelligence of any Irishman who follows the Islamic ideology in the first place. As you allude to, it is just propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You would have to question the intelligence of any Irishman who follows the Islamic ideology in the first place. As you allude to, it is just propaganda.

Unlike every other religion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Chrongen wrote: »
    Would you ever give your arse a chance. What do you care if people become muslims? How is that any of your concern?

Sigh!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement