Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonskeagh Mosque - Homeless

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Those damn Mus... oh wait.

Don't see the Catholic churches doing this, do we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Any cinema tickets though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

January wrote: »

They opened their centre during storm ophelia too. I didn't realise that. Media didn't pick that up for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Do you have to take the soup?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Fair play to them.

• Advertisement

Berserker wrote: »
    Nope and they opened their centre during storm ophelia too. I didn't realise that. Media didn't pick that up for some reason.

Yeah I saw that on their facebook page. Very generous of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Any chance of a beer and a rasher sandwich?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Nope and they opened their centre during storm ophelia too. I didn't realise that. Media didn't pick that up for some reason.

It was reported at the time on the I think and on a couple of radio stations

Edit checked the 8ndo and UK times and a fair few other sites reported on it also

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

After all that was revealed as a result of the Halawa affair they sure need the good PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

quintana76 wrote: »
    After all that was revealed as a result of the Halawa affair they sure need the good PR.

The what now ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭blueskys

When I was in ucd 10 yrs ago we would often pop in there for lunch ,it was actually really good food at cheap prices and a nice beak from the ****e they served in the ucd canteen . Always felt welcolmed I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The mosque shop sell bouncy prayer mats.

Prophets are going through the roof!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Fair play to them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

A few sneaky divils will be going in barefoot, and leaving wearing sandals.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    The mosque shop sell bouncy prayer mats.

Prophets are going through the roof!!

Bahahahaaha! :)

I've seen guys from some local mosques serving soup and giving out blankets or ferrying homeless to community centres in London during cold spells. Good people come in all creeds and sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jokes on you guys, there are no homeless people in clonskeagh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

No, they set up homless shelters, charities and try to get focus on the homeless crises.

Fr. Peter McVerry does great work in this area. As do the monks who run the soup kitchens.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ammm ya you do.

Fr Peter McVerry been helping homeless people for years.

Im not Catholic btw,.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I mean, I'm no fan of the Catholic Church (or even Islam) but they actually do do quite a bit for the homeless. Quite a lot more than the Government or even a lot of private charities do actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Catholic organisations have been catering for the poor and destitute in Ireland for centuries? :confused:

As whataboutery goes though... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

The Capuchin day centre and crosscare to name just two, why not educate yourself to the selfless work many in the Catholic church perform for the homeless before posting ignorant claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Perhaps you don't see them.......maybe,cos they've always been there....however those damn Catho...... Oh wait....?

http://www.capuchindaycentre.ie/Capuchin_Day_Centre_2013/Capuchin_Day_Centre_for_Homeless_People.html

In the absence of a Sheikh Mohammed,donations are accepted from wherever they come ... ;)

http://www.capuchindaycentre.ie/Capuchin_Day_Centre_2013/Capuchin_Day_Centre_-_Donations.html

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

They opened their centre during storm ophelia too. I didn't realise that. Media didn't pick that up for some reason.

I remember hearing about it during storm Ophelia. Some businesses did it and then the Clonskeagh centre did it.

^ Not for one minute suggesting they only did it because the businesses did it first. Just giving the timeline of events as I remember them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

Open your eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dreamliner

Thank you children ... now if we can put the catholic v muslim and who help the homeless more argument to bed that would be great.

The thing is, if we brought the people running this homeless thing in clonskeagh and the guys who run the catholic thing, the last thing they would think of doing is digging a 'we help out more' into the other. Yet people on an online forum who one can presume for the most part aren't involved in either think it's fair game :confused:

Sorry let me rephrase it. I know Catholic organisations do run centres and soup runs etc and fabulous work they do too.

I'm talking about them opening the doors of the churches themselves in local communities in times of crisis such as ophelia and when there are severe weather warnings in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

dreamliner wrote: »
    Yet people on an online forum who one can presume for the most part aren't involved in either think it's fair game :confused:

I'm baffled as to why you believe this is a safe presumption, but speaking for myself I can tell you you're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What do the mosque's neighbours think of this gesture? How many people does it have planning permission to accommodate?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Odhinn

What do the mosque's neighbours think of this gesture? How many people does it have planning permission to accommodate?

You've a problem with them letting in the homeless?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fair play to them.

Be even better if they laid on a mini bus to bring the homeless from areas like the city centre out to clonskeagh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement