Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭richiek83

Cazale wrote: »
    They have started clearing the land at the traffic lights on the athgarvan road just before the cemetery. Five diggers in. Hundreds of houses planned.

They've been keen to get this started for some time now. Admin delays at KCC caused some of this. Good to see it started. Belin Woods is the name of the development. Glenveagh Devlopments is developing the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

richiek83 wrote: »
    They've been keen to get this started for some time now. Admin delays at KCC caused some of this. Good to see it started. Belin Woods is the name of the development. Glenveagh Devlopments is developing the site.

We live not too far from.it. I think the extension of the liffey linear park as seen in the plans attached will be a great addition to the town.

Some photos I took of the aldi progress and a few to show the size of the area involved etc

Thanks for the photos Cazale, this shows the extent of the site which is ready for development. The Aldi site is a relatively small portion of it. Treacy Developments owns the entire site up to the Courtyard SC.

richiek83 wrote:
    Thanks for the photos Cazale, this shows the extent of the site which is ready for development. The Aldi site is a relatively small portion of it. Treacy Developments owns the entire site up to the Courtyard SC.

It really is massive. Any word when the rest of it will start?

One more proposal. Would be a good route for a walk. Always thought it was mad that there was no path along there with the school and hospice etc.

Cllr O’Dwyer also asked that the council consider linking the ‘Fionn MacCumhaill and his hounds roundabout’ with the L7042 Lumville crossroads via a footpath in the 2021 budget. The Municipal District office has agreed to examine and cost this proposal – any works will be subject to funding being identified, appropriate lands being made available and agreement with all relevant stakeholders.

• Advertisement

We live not too far from.it. I think the extension of the liffey linear park as seen in the plans attached will be a great addition to the town.

Agree, extension of park will be a great asset and ultimately it should be linked all the way to Athgarvan. Next thing that is required is new bridge over Liffey to link up with the new road developer will build to provide access to the estate

It really is massive. Any word when the rest of it will start?

No word. Developer made recent invalid application to change part of the use on the development, ie take away the proposed educational use to more residential, ie more apartments. The application wasn’t completed correctly so I expect a new one any day again.

Furthermore, the existing permission for the two developments on the site are predominately retail, thousands of metres of it. You’d have to think in the current climate for retail, the viability may be questionable and maybe this is why development has not started or likely to start anytime soon. I would expect further proposed amendments and a good part of the development to now become residential. I also imagine that the other works they are doing on the site (ie water) could be also a reason why no development has yet to take place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Agree, extension of park will be a great asset and ultimately it should be linked all the way to Athgarvan. Next thing that is required is new bridge over Liffey to link up with the new road developer will build to provide access to the estate

As I understand it, completing the road is not part of the planning permission granted to the developer. They will build their side in the estate but KCC/NRA will be required to build the section from Great Connell, over the field and over the liffey connecting to the estate road.

As I understand it, no funding has been identified yet for the Great Connell section....

GavMan wrote:
    As I understand it, completing the road is not part of the planning permission granted to the developer. They will build their side in the estate but KCC/NRA will be required to build the section from Great Connell, over the field and over the liffey connecting to the estate road.

Yeah if you check the plans I attached a, few posts ago it shows where the developer stops building it. I'd say once that side of it is in place there will be a clamour to get it finished.

GavMan wrote: »

As I understand it, no funding has been identified yet for the Great Connell section....

You are correct GavMan. Developer will build their side of it to near the river.

KCC did make an application for this new bridge and road on the Great Connell side for funding under the URDF application process. Decision on applications expected on this within the next few weeks. KCC had this on the list as second priority behind a Maynooth project. I can't remember where I seen it but I think the value of KCCs application may be approx €12 million. I remember from a previous document a few years ago when application was made for LIHAF funding that the new bridge and road to Great Connell could open up access for about 800-1000 homes.

• Advertisement

New Filipino food shop opened on Charlotte St.

You are correct GavMan. Developer will build their side of it to near the river.

KCC did make an application for this new bridge and road on the Great Connell side for funding under the URDF application process. Decision on applications expected on this within the next few weeks. KCC had this on the list as second priority behind a Maynooth project. I can't remember where I seen it but I think the value of KCCs application may be approx €12 million. I remember from a previous document a few years ago when application was made for LIHAF funding that the new bridge and road to Great Connell could open up access for about 800-1000 homes.

Easily 1000. More I would say because realistically anyone on the Athgarvan road From Kilbelin near the town to probably Whitethorn in Athgarvan itself would make use of it. I find it's a bit of a drag to drive down to exit 12 when you could get off at 10. Would really help traffic in the town when things get back to normal and folk are commuting again.

Good to hear they have an application in. I do recall it being turned down 12-18 months ago. There seems to money for any old Tom Dick and Harry greenway project.

Easily 1000. More I would say because realistically anyone on the Athgarvan road From Kilbelin near the town to probably Whitethorn in Athgarvan itself would make use of it. I find it's a bit of a drag to drive down to exit 12 when you could get off at 10. Would really help traffic in the town when things get back to normal and folk are commuting again.

Good to hear they have an application in. I do recall it being turned down 12-18 months ago. There seems to money for any old Tom Dick and Harry greenway project.

Agree GavMan. In fact, this new bridge and road is a necessity for any possible public realm improvements for the town centre, in particular Main Street. The draft Newbridge Town Transport Framework which was prepared by the NTA contained a number of improvements for the town centre and traffic changes but its success or otherwise if KCC bothered their backsides to even start providing for it is a new bridge and completion of towns relief road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Furthermore, the existing permission for the two developments on the site are predominately retail, thousands of metres of it. You’d have to think in the current climate for retail, the viability may be questionable and maybe this is why development has not started or likely to start anytime soon. I would expect further proposed amendments and a good part of the development to now become residential. I also imagine that the other works they are doing on the site (ie water) could be also a reason why no development has yet to take place

Huge demand for retail warehousing and large own door units in a vibrant area. There are several retailers already lined up for the larger units. Retail is the #1 past time in Ireland and all indicators are that it will rebound strongly just as it did when the 1st lockdown ended

Work has started on the overall plan. Aldi was the first part and the rest will follow.

The change from educational to apartments is a minor change and is more an internal layout and use change that any structural change.

silver2020 wrote: »
    Huge demand for retail warehousing and large own door units in a vibrant area. There are several retailers already lined up for the larger units. Retail is the #1 past time in Ireland and all indicators are that it will rebound strongly just as it did when the 1st lockdown ended

Work has started on the overall plan. Aldi was the first part and the rest will follow.

The change from educational to apartments is a minor change and is more an internal layout and use change that any structural change.

I hope you're right but planning permission for retail park extension (granted cira 2016) and Aldi development (granted circa 2014), these developments would have proceeded at a faster pace had there been the level of interest you have indicated. Traditional retail has been under pressure (pre Covid) and post Covid nobody knows what's going to happen with the increase in online shopping and retailers and policy makers all now reassessing bricks and mortar retail.

As I said, I could be wrong but these are the conversations that are happening at policy maker level and at retail executive level.

Just on another development in the town, I hear there is a meeting or presentation to council and elected officials by Bord Na Mona on their mooted master plan for the site. This is expected to occur before Christmas from what I've heard. Their site is somewhere in region of five acres in size.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

I hope you're right but planning permission for retail park extension (granted cira 2016) and Aldi development (granted circa 2014), these developments would have proceeded at a faster pace had there been the level of interest you have indicated. Traditional retail has been under pressure (pre Covid) and post Covid nobody knows what's going to happen with the increase in online shopping and retailers and policy makers all now reassessing bricks and mortar retail.

As I said, I could be wrong but these are the conversations that are happening at policy maker level and at retail executive level.

Just on another development in the town, I hear there is a meeting or presentation to council and elected officials by Bord Na Mona on their mooted master plan for the site. This is expected to occur before Christmas from what I've heard. Their site is somewhere in region of five acres in size.

is the bord na mona site being used? i never see anything going in or out of there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Some traditional retail can't keep up with demand. I don't think there's a single retail warehouse unit empty in any prime area of the country.

Retail mix will simply change. Expect less fashion and more leisure / home type retail that will want larger spaces.

Aldi have been comping at the bit to get their store built, but the plans for the site changed as the economy improved and a masterplan of all elements was created and work actually started last year on site clearance.

The finished project look set to enhance retail and leisure and combine the retail park with "high street" units and lead through to Whitewater.

With the Naas SC demoted to a neighbour centre with medical and educational use, Newbridge will cement its place as the shopping destination for the area.

silver2020 wrote: »
    Some traditional retail can't keep up with demand. I don't think there's a single retail warehouse unit empty in any prime area of the country.

Retail mix will simply change. Expect less fashion and more leisure / home type retail that will want larger spaces.

Aldi have been comping at the bit to get their store built, but the plans for the site changed as the economy improved and a masterplan of all elements was created and work actually started last year on site clearance.

The finished project look set to enhance retail and leisure and combine the retail park with "high street" units and lead through to Whitewater.

With the Naas SC demoted to a neighbour centre with medical and educational use, Newbridge will cement its place as the shopping destination for the area.

I've seen the plans and to be fair they look quite decent but we'll wait and see as to how it proceeds

th
    tommyboy26 wrote: »
    is the bord na mona site being used? i never see anything going in or out of there

It is. Its their head office. I think also that AES customer service or that function is on that site.

Rumours a while back of them moving out of that head office but that was denied. I think the masterplan is part of either their agenda to maxmise use of an underutilised site or maximise value for a possible future sale. Might get some more detail after the meeting with elected officials and KCC in the near future. Tidy Towns and others had previously called for the green area near the Main Street entrance to be opened. Its one to watch anyway considering location of the site and its potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tacs132132

What plans are in place to build additional secondary school if new housing developments proceed? There is already a massive shortage of secondary school places in Newbridge/Kildare before any new additional houses are built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Damien360

Tacs132132 wrote: »
    What plans are in place to build additional secondary school if new housing developments proceed? There is already a massive shortage of secondary school places in Newbridge/Kildare before any new additional houses are built.

There are no plans. Patrician secondary is in preliminary stages of planning for a significant upgrade which will include extra height. That’s about the lot of it unless you believe what every politician trots out every election. Promises without timelines. Newbridge is very poorly represented in the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Damien360 wrote: »
    There are no plans. Patrician secondary is in preliminary stages of planning for a significant upgrade which will include extra height. That’s about the lot of it unless you believe what every politician trots out every election. Promises without timelines. Newbridge is very poorly represented in the council.

Never a truer word spoken Damien. We’re we also led to believe that there was a secondary school
    In the pipeline for Educate Together.

Somebody recently said there are hundreds of houses planned for out by the cemetery, while opposite Sarsfields there will eventually be between 3 & four hundred houses also being built. I also saw today they have started building opposite Brennan’s.

Great to see all these houses being built, but yet Isherwood is the roads to support all the extra traffic that will be generated? And as for getting a family GP?

Damien360 wrote: »

What remit does the county council have with respect to secondary school places? Surely this is a central government issue

What remit does the county council have with respect to secondary school places? Surely this is a central government issue

It is far from a central government issue. They provide the promised cash but your local council has to identify the need. They also control the “gate” for planning permission in your area. If your local council agrees to 1000 homes, then as night follows day, they should be planning for the school. But that doesn’t happen and your local councillors have to speak up at council meetings to show there is a need. Same if you want a swimming pool or any other service in Newbridge.

To outline how poor your local representatives are. Look at the proposed parking charges over the Christmas period. Newbridge is full charges while reduced or zero charges are in effect across many other towns.

The Newbridge local councillors love Facebook but do sweet FA. We are very close in population to Naas and second largest in the county but have very poor services by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Based on the last census Newbridge is bigger than Naas and is in fact the largest settlement in the county (2016).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭pad199207

NedNew2 wrote: »
    Based on the last census Newbridge is bigger than Naas and is in fact the largest settlement in the county (2016).

Back then yeah. I wouldn’t say that’s the case now with the large increase of estates in Naas since then. Factor in Johnstown and Sallins aswell hardly any separation between the areas now.

NedNew2 wrote: »

I’m using the Covid app for current population size. Not sure where it pulls it data from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

On a walk up the town today and noticed work going on it the old yvonnes shop. I have been saying for years its a prime spot and always wondered why no one ever used it sooner. anyone know what is going in there. It was nice to walk down the town and see work going on in there and the old arch bar and now multibuy shop up and running in the old xtravision. it gives me hope in these uncertain times

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    On a walk up the town today and noticed work going on it the old yvonnes shop. I have been saying for years its a prime spot and always wondered why no one ever used it sooner. anyone know what is going in there. It was nice to walk down the town and see work going on in there and the old arch bar and now multibuy shop up and running in the old xtravision. it gives me hope in these uncertain times

Always thought the same about Yvonne's myself. Figured it must have been a rent/unit size issue. Spar would squeeze any kind of newsagent/corner shop gig. Interesting to see what it becomes. Hopefully not another vape or phone repair outfit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Always thought the same about Yvonne's myself. Figured it must have been a rent/unit size issue. Spar would squeeze any kind of newsagent/corner shop gig. Interesting to see what it becomes. Hopefully not another vape or phone repair outfit

Or another take-away. More than enough of them I the Town already.

Advertisement