Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I was out at Walshestown X today & noticed that there appears 2 building sites: one behind the cemetery, & the other directly opposite Riverside Grove. They both new housing developments?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I was out at Walshestown X today & noticed that there appears 2 building sites: one behind the cemetery, & the other directly opposite Riverside Grove. They both new housing developments?

Yeah both housing developments. The one behind the cemetery is ongoing three years now. It's a nuisance.

The other one is Belin woods discussed recently which will see the extension of the park and eventually the new bypass of the town.

Cazale wrote: »
    Yeah both housing developments. The one behind the cemetery is ongoing three years now. It's a nuisance.

The other one is Belin woods discussed recently which will see the extension of the park and eventually the new bypass of the town.

How big are these developments? That road surely cannot take on anymore traffic.

How big are these developments? That road surely cannot take on anymore traffic.

The one behind the cemetery is the completion of kilbelin abbey. Developer stopped during the recession. Think it's 80+ houses.

Belin woods is 200+ houses with a few apartments thrown in. The junction at the lights will be updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭richiek83

The one behind the cemetery is the completion of kilbelin abbey. Developer stopped during the recession. Think it's 80+ houses.

Belin woods is 200+ houses with a few apartments thrown in. The junction at the lights will be updated.

Correct, Belin Woods is 343 homes according to Council website.

• Advertisement

Just home from WSC. More or less queues outside all the stores - great to see. I know having to queue isn't everyone's cup of tea, but damn it our shops NEED support after the year they have had.

Only blight is the shutters down on Debenhams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

There's a part-time teaching job (Spanish) going at Harristown House, just a few minutes outside Newbridge.
    This is a part time position starting in June 2021. The position will be for 8/10 weeks during the summer Monday to Friday and then after school from September 2021. We aspire to a fun dynamic child centred learning atmosphere where the emphasis is on the oral production in the language. The suitable candidate will have experience in teaching Spanish as a foreign language or may have experience teaching English as a foreign language and be fluent in Spanish. Flexibility and creativity is a must for this job. This person will be happy to work independently.

Please apply at https://kildarejobs.ie/job/14129072/part-time-primary-spanish-teacher

GavMan wrote: »
    Always thought the same about Yvonne's myself. Figured it must have been a rent/unit size issue. Spar would squeeze any kind of newsagent/corner shop gig. Interesting to see what it becomes. Hopefully not another vape or phone repair outfit

Walked by it today. All trace of Yvonnes gone. Sign for blum wellness taken down too. Anyone know what it will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭lashofeye

Is there even a hint of a playground within this development? How many new homes is that being built in newbridge now? The school are going to be oversubscribes in a few years ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

lashofeye wrote: »
    Is there even a hint of a playground within this development? How many new homes is that being built in newbridge now? The school are going to be oversubscribes in a few years ?!

Councils use computer models to predict everything from likely traffic to schools etc.

What naysayers will always assume is 300 houses = 600 cars all leaving at 8.30am with 2.4 kids per house all at the exact same age and they try and rile people up with scaremongering predictions which never ever come true.

Same argument if there's a new shop (esp lidl/aldi)

If you wish, go to the council website and read the various planning reports on the developments and you can also see the general layout.

You'll find that quite a bit of work goes into planning especially large developments

• Advertisement

lashofeye wrote: »

Yes, there is a playground according to planning documents.

Thankfully 2020 is almost over.

Just like to take this opportunity of wishing everyone and their Loved Ones everything of the best for 2021.

And STAY SAFE!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Damien360

We are to receive 4 people that were recently in the news. Sent from Kerry for causing serious trouble and will be in Ballymany cottages

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1186888/[url][/url]

Damien360 wrote: »
    We are to receive 4 people that were recently in the news. Sent from Kerry for causing serious trouble and will be in Ballymany cottages

Dare I ask: Why Ballymany/Newbridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Damien360 wrote: »

Long history of trouble making and Traveller feuding in killarney.

Absolute scum and a total disregard for the law. - plenty of previous.

I am not around during the day due to work. But am wondering if the Aldi construction is stopped due to the CV19 restrictions?

I am not around during the day due to work. But am wondering if the Aldi construction is stopped due to the CV19 restrictions?

Construction stopped unless your completion date was by end of month or you were deemed essential.

https://cif.ie/coronavirus/[url][/url]

It has. There is a bit of work going on at the adjacent site but not much.

It has. There is a bit of work going on at the adjacent site but not much.

Think the adjacent site is the works being done by Irish Water.

Also, application in by Treacy Group to modify and alter previous permission for block CC2 of the extension of Newbridge Retail Park. They are looking the change use of approved educational facilities to 8 two bedroom apartments and slight amendment to retail units size.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

richiek83 wrote: »

Also, application in by Treacy Group to modify and alter previous permission for block CC2 of the extension of Newbridge Retail Park. They are looking the change use of approved educational facilities to 8 two bedroom apartments and slight amendment to retail units size.

any idea when the work on treacys planning permission will begin.

• Advertisement

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    any idea when the work on treacys planning permission will begin.

No indication. The original planning for this extension was given in Nov 16. Developers usually have 5 years under approval to commence. As I mentioned in this forum a few months ago, I wouldn't be surprised to see more of this area receive an application to amend existing permission to incorporate more residential.

The Irish Water works will be finished within a few months in this area and I suppose we'll see then what Treacy Groups real intentions are.

Irish Water will be starting their works on the Athgarvan Road from February 10th to March 23rd. The road will be closed near lidl for the duration.

richiek83 wrote: »

Documents are now up on KCC website for the Treacy Group application. Decision expected around Paddy's Day.

Treacy has a new change of use application in for the former Lifestyle unit at the Courtyard. They are seeking change of use to educational. Likely to relocate the Leinster School from its current premises near TK Maxx.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Petermc83

Road closure at the back of Dunnes Stores/ Newbridge Retail Park currently. This was due to happen early Jan but was appealed by a local business.
    Looks like work is back underway.

Just to warn people if they use this route to avoid it. Traffic is being diverted through the town.

Petermc83 wrote: »
    Road closure at the back of Dunnes Stores/ Newbridge Retail Park currently. This was due to happen early Jan but was appealed by a local business.
    Looks like work is back underway.

Just to warn people if they use this route to avoid it. Traffic is being diverted through the town.

It’s stranger than that. Traffic is diverted through SuperValu carpark then around the back of Lidl and back out on to the road. Stay on the left lane when you enter the carpark as it gets a bit weird on the dominos pizza side.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭silverview

I was recently in the paddocks having a look at the new houses, there is a lot of work going on in the paddocks to get it finished. I noticed that there are apartment blocks in the Paddocks. What's the story with these apartments? I think they look out of place in that development, granted they are down the very end of the development but who would buy an apartment there? or are these all social?

Also I heard that as part of the planning permission for these apartments there has to be an entrance to station road to access them.

silverview wrote: »
    I was recently in the paddocks having a look at the new houses, there is a lot of work going on in the paddocks to get it finished. I noticed that there are apartment blocks in the Paddocks. What's the story with these apartments? I think they look out of place in that development, granted they are down the very end of the development but who would buy an apartment there? or are these all social?

Also I heard that as part of the planning permission for these apartments there has to be an entrance to station road to access them.

The apartments probably make sense close to the railway line and station IMO, its decent density around a public transport node. Not sure whether they are all social or mixed though.

The LAP indicates that a section of relief street through the site be constructed and the developer is building the part that runs through their site.

However, it is a different developer that owns the land where there will be a missing link between The Paddocks and the apartments/ gym near station road. It will probably be only 100 metres or so of road that will be missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

After 15 years I have stopped shopping at M&S in Whitewater
    It was going downhill for a few years but since Brexit kicked in, it's woeful. Loads of gaps on the shelves, serious lack of selection now, most things on short(er) dates than usual.

A decision is expected shortly on whether Kildare County Council has been successful in its bid for funding of a second Liffey crossing in Newbridge.

It has applied for monies to begin the project to the Dept. of Housing, under Call 2 of the Urban Regeneration and Development Fund,.

The Minister for Housing Darragh O'Brien, says "The assessment process for proposals received under Call 2 is nearing completion, and I intend to soon announce a new tranche of URDF supported proposals, which will augment the existing pipeline of projects from Call 1".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

A decision is expected shortly on whether Kildare County Council has been successful in its bid for funding of a second Liffey crossing in Newbridge.

It has applied for monies to begin the project to the Dept. of Housing, under Call 2 of the Urban Regeneration and Development Fund,.

The Minister for Housing Darragh O'Brien, says "The assessment process for proposals received under Call 2 is nearing completion, and I intend to soon announce a new tranche of URDF supported proposals, which will augment the existing pipeline of projects from Call 1".

Badly needed IMO. Would take a lot of Traffic in rush hour heading for the Athgarvan road out of the town, providing some relief for the town and those living in close proximity and those living around the train station

Not a panacea by any means but a large piece of the puzzle I think

Advertisement