Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Petermc83

Cazale wrote: »
    A decision is expected shortly on whether Kildare County Council has been successful in its bid for funding of a second Liffey crossing in Newbridge.

It has applied for monies to begin the project to the Dept. of Housing, under Call 2 of the Urban Regeneration and Development Fund,.

The Minister for Housing Darragh O'Brien, says "The assessment process for proposals received under Call 2 is nearing completion, and I intend to soon announce a new tranche of URDF supported proposals, which will augment the existing pipeline of projects from Call 1".

Any idea where the proposed 2nd crossing would be?

Is it to be included in the new housing development being built opposite Liffey Hall? I seem to remember that the proposed link road which is funded by the developer stops at a certain point and then it is up to the KCC to complete it by joining it to the new link road at the Dr Pepper site leading onto the Naas Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Petermc83 wrote:
    Is it to be included in the new housing development being built opposite Liffey Hall? I seem to remember that the proposed link road which is funded by the developer stops at a certain point and then it is up to the KCC to complete it by joining it to the new link road at the Dr Pepper site leading onto the Naas Road.

That's it. The council have cleared a load of trees and hedging around the traffic lights recently in preparation for widening the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭richiek83

Petermc83 wrote: »
    Any idea where the proposed 2nd crossing would be?

Indicative alignment in the attached pic. Glenveagh will build approx 250 metres of the relief road as part of their development.

There are ground investigations work ongoing at the moment on the land beside Wellesley Manor which goes close to the river from that side of town. Spoke with one of the staff members from the company who stated they are doing the ground and soil samples for a proposed housing development of houses/ duplexes and apartments (it will be worth keeping an eye on). The developer will likely construct a section of the relief road close to the river if they get permission. This may ultimately leave the short section with the bridge as the missing link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭matchthis

Anyone know where I could pick up foil helium balloons tomorrow? All next day delivery places are swamped with Mother’s Day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭long_b

matchthis wrote: »
    Anyone know where I could pick up foil helium balloons tomorrow? All next day delivery places are swamped with Mother’s Day

Woodies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭long_b

matchthis wrote: »

Iiy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

i see curtmount properties have applied for planning to build 3 units beside where aldi are been bulit.

i thought curtmount was aldi???

anyone know what is going in there.

planning number 21278

no documents up for it yet

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    i see curtmount properties have applied for planning to build 3 units beside where aldi are been bulit.

planning number 21278

This is an extension of duration for existing planning permission for the extension of the retail park which was granted in 2016. Planning permissions generally last for five years and if project hasn't commenced in that timeframe, extension of permission is usually required/ requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

tommyboy26 wrote: »

planning number 21278

Curtmount Properties is owned by Tom Treacy who owns the entire site, but different companies under his ownership run different parts of the site and all under the umbrella of Treacy Property group. (also owns Naas Town Centre)
    Its very similar to application 15819 from 2015

There's anger and frustration at the lack of funding announced for a second bridge in Newbridge under the second round of the Urban Regeneration and Development Fund.

North Kildare projects in Naas, Maynooth and Celbridge received a combined €15.9 million.

No scheme in the south of the county won funding.

Fianna Fáíl Senator, Fiona O'Loughlin, Newbridge is currently experiencing a critical infrastructural blockage which must be remedied.

Fine Gael Kildare South TD and Minister of State, Martin Heydon, says he wants an accounting of why the project wasn't funded.

• Advertisement

Minister of State Martin Heydon stated: “The absence of Newbridge from Minister Darragh O Brien’s announcement of URDF funding today is hugely disappointing. This is a project that I lobbied hard for, both directly with the Minister and on the floor of the Dáil.

“I am now seeking a full breakdown and analysis of the scoring of the Newbridge Application from Minister O ‘Brien, so we can learn where this application fell down and why it was unsuccessful. Kildare County Council needs to review the work that has been carried out to date on the second bridge for Newbridge and a clear plan must now be devised as to how we are going to bounce back to ensure this key piece of infrastructure is delivered.

“While this is a set back for Newbridge, I am determined that a 2nd Bridge will be delivered for the town. I will be engaging with Kildare County Council officials on their next steps to achieve that goal.”

Senator Fiona O’Loughlin has also expressed her disappointment.

“Whilst our roads haven’t been as busy over the 12 months as previously, the pinch point at the one existing bridge remains particularly bad, especially with 6 schools in very close proximity. “The aim of the URDF is to stimulate new residential and commercial development in our larger towns to be supported by new services and amenities. The Government said that it was “aimed at unlocking the potential undeveloped sites in our towns and cities. Newbridge is currently experiencing a critical infrastructural blockage with only one bridge crossing the Liffey and this must be remedied.

“I have been raising the need for a second bridge for years and in that time, the traffic levels have increased hugely, putting further pressure on our inadequate infrastructure. Kildare commuters have been seriously impacted by the road works on the M7 and the situation in the town of Newbridge itself is deteriorating steadily. I have called on Kildare County Council to make every effort to source funding for the provision of this new bridge.

“I have asked Minister O`Brien for an urgent meeting to discuss the fact no funding was received, and have requested a copy of the evaluation report.

“A second bridge would have a tangible and positive impact on the daily lives of people living in Newbridge and this is the whole point of this funding,” concluded Senator O`Loughlin who has vowed to continue the fight to secure funding along with Cllrs Noel Heavey and Rob Power.

Cllr Chris Pender, Newbridge based Social Democrat representative feels ‘disappointed and dismayed’ .

“There is a clear lack of foresight on this important piece of infrastructure and I have written to the Minister today to get a better understanding of why the people of South Kildare have been ignored once again. Kildare County Council submitted 4 projects for consideration and this was the only one that was rejected. I have consistently been on the record as saying that this bridge is needed to make Newbridge a sustainable place to live and work”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Damien360

There's anger and frustration at the lack of funding announced for a second bridge in Newbridge under the second round of the Urban Regeneration and Development Fund.

North Kildare projects in Naas, Maynooth and Celbridge received a combined €15.9 million.

No scheme in the south of the county won funding.

Fianna Fáíl Senator, Fiona O'Loughlin, Newbridge is currently experiencing a critical infrastructural blockage which must be remedied.

Fine Gael Kildare South TD and Minister of State, Martin Heydon, says he wants an accounting of why the project wasn't funded.

We truly are very poorly represented at local and national level. And I include O’Loughlin in that. I watch her Facebook page and it is utter nonsense. Wants national level and doesn’t deserve it. Heydon is as useless as Senator Loughlin. Pops up in local papers at about 6 months out from re-election. We are not a small town with over 30,000 residents. Bigger than Kilkenny but you wouldn’t know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The perception in the Dublin-adjacent towns is that the South of the county - but we include Naas in that - gets everything and Kildare North gets nothing. No swimming pool, older lower opening hour libraries, poor bin collections and not even a recycling centre. So this is just a very rare reversal.

Celbridges second bridge, Maynooths ring road, a recycling centre and a swimming pool have all been "soon" since the mid 1980s and none exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Damien360 wrote: »
    We truly are very poorly represented at local and national level. And I include O’Loughlin in that. I watch her Facebook page and it is utter nonsense. Wants national level and doesn’t deserve it. Heydon is as useless as Senator Loughlin. Pops up in local papers at about 6 months out from re-election. We are not a small town with over 30,000 residents. Bigger than Kilkenny but you wouldn’t know it.

Excellent post Damien. I drive for a living so am listening to the radio a lot. I have to say if the TDS in KS, I have heard a lot more from Cathal Berry than the others.

Couple of planning applications.

Newbridge retail park
    The material change of use of Unit 10 from Retail to Sit down restaurant with ancillary take away & delivery service. Which comprises of Internal modification, alterations and all ancillary site works.

Pembroke Dental have applied for planning permission for a dental surgery in the old Vanity Fair shop.

Debenhams has been cleared of stock and the keys have been handed back to the landlord.

St Conleth's Park Redevelopment moves a step closer. Tender notice for construction placed on etenders website. Closing date for tender submissions is the 23rd April.

Project includes demolition of existing main stand and the construction of brand new 2600 seater main stand with refreshment facilities etc in the stand, installation of floodlights, demolition of current changing rooms and construction of a new entrance plaza outside on entry to the stadium.

Total approx value is €7.5 million excl VAT (Approx €10 million in total).

It's worth bearing in mind that this whole area (the car park outside) is intended to be part of the future "Newbridge Cultural Quarter" and right beside the mooted BnM Regeneration with a masterplan due to be revealed towards the end of this year.

Al Vesuvio Pizza has closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

Al Vesuvio Pizza has closed.

Nooo! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Petermc83

Judge Roy Beans are opening a coffee house in their front bar.

Plans for a new restaurant are in the pipeline for Newbridge. 

Tapeford Limited wants permission to change Swift Supplies, Edward Street, Gandouge Lane from retail use to a sit down restaurant and delivery service. 

The company wants to demolish the south facing wall and reconstruct it at a different angle and take down part of the south-west facing wall. The plans also allow for a new main entrance door, internal modification and alterations.

• Advertisement

Anyone seen any Easter eggs for sale in Newbridge or Kildare?

Anyone seen any Easter eggs for sale in Newbridge or Kildare?

Assuming OP is not referring to the 3 for E5 in major supermarkets but more the up market kind, I too would like to know where.

Is there anywhere in town where one can buy a Lily O’Briens kind?

TIA

Plans for a new restaurant are in the pipeline for Newbridge. 

Tapeford Limited wants permission to change Swift Supplies, Edward Street, Gandouge Lane from retail use to a sit down restaurant and delivery service. 

The company wants to demolish the south facing wall and reconstruct it at a different angle and take down part of the south-west facing wall. The plans also allow for a new main entrance door, internal modification and alterations.

Any idea what kind of restaurant this will be? We badly need an upmarket restaurant- be nice to walk into town and enjoy a few pints & not worry about driving over the limit.

Assuming OP is not referring to the 3 for E5 in major supermarkets but more the up market kind, I too would like to know where.

Is there anywhere in town where one can buy a Lily O’Briens kind?

TIA

If my spouse is to be believed, there's nary an egg to be found, cheap or fancy

Apparently there's a national crisis: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/shoppers-left-hunting-as-easter-egg-stocks-dwindle-due-to-increase-in-sales-1.4527422

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Donovans Centra in Maynooth had eggs earlier. I'm not connected to them, I just live nearby. Other shops were stripped bare!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭roroliam

Valu Mart a hardware and giftware store will be opening in the old Mothercare shop. They have around six other shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Didn't see any eggs in Dunnes this morning. Got a couple of Terry's chocolate oranges - not many of those left either

roroliam wrote: »
    Valu Mart a hardware and giftware store will be opening in the old Mothercare shop. They have around six other shops.

A pound shop of sorts ? The town already has loads of them.

I’m in Roseberry Hill. Just flushed my toilet and the water is dirtier than what was flushed away. On checking my tap, it seems the water is discoloured.

Anyone else having this problem?

• Advertisement

I’m in Roseberry Hill. Just flushed my toilet and the water is dirtier than what was flushed away. On checking my tap, it seems the water is discoloured.

Anyone else having this problem?

Yes. Same all over the town. Logged it with Irish Water this morning.

Advertisement