Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Damien360

silverview wrote: »
    Agree. Surely there is no need for any more takeaways in Newbridge now. A couple of nice restaurants serving good food would do very well IMO. What is going into where the old xtra vsion was?

Lots of yellow paint. I assume another pound shop, Mr Deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Agree. Surely there is no need for any more takeaways in Newbridge now. A couple of nice restaurants serving good food would do very well IMO. What is going into where the old xtra vsion was?
    Damien360 wrote: »

I walked by the other day. it is some multi-buy pound shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sarac87

Hi, has anyone got kids in curragh post primary or St conleths community college? If so whats your experience with the school? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Some works ongoing at the water tower. Bit of an eyesore at that end of the town. Hopefully they don't put up that awful fencing again when they are finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Sarac87 wrote: »
    Hi, has anyone got kids in curragh post primary or St conleths community college? If so whats your experience with the school? Thanks

Hi

I just moved my son to the curragh post primary this year. He is only a few weeks in and already i see a massive improvement in him. The class sizes are so much smaller so there is more teacher student interaction. I believe in his french class he only has 7 or 8 students so its really good for him to learn.

The buildings are old but in my opinion the teachers are fantastic.

Hope that helps

• Advertisement

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    Hi

I just moved my son to the curragh post primary this year. He is only a few weeks in and already i see a massive improvement in him. The class sizes are so much smaller so there is more teacher student interaction. I believe in his french class he only has 7 or 8 students so its really good for him to learn.

The buildings are old but in my opinion the teachers are fantastic.

Hope that helps

Thanks a million for your reply. My eldest has just been accepted there for next year. I'm not living here very long so don't know much about the schools in the area. Can I ask does your son get a bus up? I have a little one who will be going to st conleths primary and I'm trying to figure out how I'm gettin the two of them to school on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

Sarac87 wrote: »
    Thanks a million for your reply. My eldest has just been accepted there for next year. I'm not living here very long so don't know much about the schools in the area. Can I ask does your son get a bus up? I have a little one who will be going to st conleths primary and I'm trying to figure out how I'm gettin the two of them to school on time.

Would Athgarvan primary school be an option for you? They are very close by each other but would require you to drop them.

Where are you coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

Cazale wrote: »
    Some works ongoing at the water tower. Bit of an eyesore at that end of the town. Hopefully they don't put up that awful fencing again when they are finished.

If the council literally spent a couple of grand power washing that it would make such a difference. Or is the issue that it is on private land and the owner couldn't give a hoot?

GavMan wrote:
    If the council literally spent a couple of grand power washing that it would make such a difference. Or is the issue that it is on private land and the owner couldn't give a hoot?

100%. The paint shop up beside the central grill offered to supply paint for free before. Think there was issues getting in contact with the owner.

A woman was killed in a hit and run on Monday night in the laneway between Harrigans and the Panda inn. Was out for a walk myself on Sunday with the pram and stopped and checked before I went by because it's such a blind spot. The same with some of the lanes/roads on the back street. Too late for that tragic woman but hopefully they will address it.

• Advertisement

GavMan wrote: »
    Would Athgarvan primary school be an option for you? They are very close by each other but would require you to drop them.

Where are you coming from?

I don't actually know i'll have to look into that school. I'm living at the college farm end of town

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭silverview

100%. The paint shop up beside the central grill offered to supply paint for free before. Think there was issues getting in contact with the owner.

Yeah agree a power wash and then a bit of paint would take the horrible look off it. Disappointing that the owner can't be contacted if that's what's holding it up.

I often wondered what is the story with the old building directly opposite the water tower? Looks so out of place there and nothing has been done with it for years? Surely an ideal location for a shop or something?

I often wondered what is the story with the old building directly opposite the water tower? Looks so out of place there and nothing has been done with it for years? Surely an ideal location for a shop or something?

It was posted here previously that there is a preservation order on that “building”. They are little more than prefabs in rag order.

Is the water tower actually in functional use ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

It was posted here previously that there is a preservation order on that “building”. They are little more than prefabs in rag order.

Is the water tower actually in functional use ?
    Yeah, it looks terrible. If there's a preservation order for it, why isn't it being preserved rather than being allowed to decay?

Cazale wrote:
    Another new place opening on Henry Street called fire and smoke.

Tried this tonight. A step above the usual kebab place. Very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Tried this tonight. A step above the usual kebab place. Very nice.

Saw some photos on Facebook and looked good. What did you get?

Damien360 wrote:
    It was posted here previously that there is a preservation order on that “buildingâ€. They are little more than prefabs in rag order.

silverview wrote:

Yeah, it looks terrible. If there's a preservation order for it, why isn't it being preserved rather than being allowed to decay?

I can't see how it would have any historical or architectural interest whatsoever. Needs to be knocked down.

I can't see how it would have any historical or architectural interest whatsoever. Needs to be knocked down.

You maybe right. I should have double checked

Page 99 and 102 of link gives historical buildings and their reference with map. Most are on Main Street. Nothing on junction of athgarvan road and cutlery road.

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/AllServices/Planning/LocalAreaPlans/LocalAreaPlans/NewbridgeLAP2013-2019/Newbridge%20Local%20Area%20Plan%2020132019.pdf[url][/url]

Saw some photos on Facebook and looked good. What did you get?

We got the lamb kebab, chicken kebab and loaded chicken fries. Think fresh bread, homemade sauces and grilled premium meat rather than a greasy late night kebab after the pub. Gave us a free portion of Baklava too which were lovely. They were cooking a couple of burgers when I was in there and they looked savage too. Not the cheapest but you get what you pay for as they say.

Multibuy. Can't find much about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

A woman was killed in a hit and run on Monday night in the laneway between Harrigans and the Panda inn. Was out for a walk myself on Sunday with the pram and stopped and checked before I went by because it's such a blind spot. The same with some of the lanes/roads on the back street. Too late for that tragic woman but hopefully they will address it.

Speaking as a hit & run victim over 50 years ago, I sincerely hope the person driving the vehicle is caught and suffers the full consequences of their cowardly act.

And may the Victim Rest In Peace.

Edit: just found out someone was arrested over this. Good!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

We got the lamb kebab, chicken kebab and loaded chicken fries. Think fresh bread, homemade sauces and grilled premium meat rather than a greasy late night kebab after the pub. Gave us a free portion of Baklava too which were lovely. They were cooking a couple of burgers when I was in there and they looked savage too. Not the cheapest but you get what you pay for as they say.

Just finished our meal. Really great. We had chicken fillet shish kebab, lamb kebab, burger, chicken burger and a few chips. Plus some Baklava throw in. Totally agree re the freshness and taste. Will be going back again.

New kids clothes shop called cici & boo opening in the whitewater. Think it's going where the golden spiderweb shop was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

There's a Junior Showroom Consultant job going in Newbridge. Needs some previous sales experience. The role is selling "a range of high-quality range of gas stoves, built-in gas fires, fireplaces, solid fuel & wood burning stoves and built in wood burning fires". You can apply here https://kildarejobs.ie/job/14127535/showroom-consultant-junior

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Christmas lights:

Just home from work and saw the lights ( at the bottom of Town ). Credit where it’s due, they look really good.

Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭silverview

Christmas lights:

Just home from work and saw the lights ( at the bottom of Town ). Credit where it’s due, they look really good.

Well done to all involved.

Yeah i say it every year... the town looks great with the lights... well done to all involved.

It looks great.

Multibuy. Can't find much about it.

Opening tomorrow.

They have started clearing the land at the traffic lights on the athgarvan road just before the cemetery. Five diggers in. Hundreds of houses planned.

• Advertisement

Some photos I took of the aldi progress and a few to show the size of the area involved etc

Advertisement