Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

harr wrote:
    Anyone know if cinema in WW is open or when it plans of reopening. Some odeon are open in Dublin and open since July. I sent an email but got no reply.

Cinema opening again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Hear an item on Drivetime yesterday about Debenhams and a proposed settlement for their workers. I'm not getting into a debate on the yay or nay of this proposal, but another thing mentioned was that some other trader is very interested in three of Debenhams stores.

Now I have no idea what 3 stores there are, nor have I an idea if this un-named trader is only interested in the top 3 performers in the chain, but I sure hope WW is one of the proposed three.

Now I have no idea what 3 stores there are, nor have I an idea if this un-named trader is only interested in the top 3 performers in the chain, but I sure hope WW is one of the proposed three.

The only 3 of the 11 that were making a profit were Henry Street, Cork and Newbridge so it could well be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Cazale wrote: »
    The only 3 of the 11 that were making a profit were Henry Street, Cork and Newbridge so it could well be.

I wonder what the "NEXT" occupant will be.

And they are interested in a lot more than 3.

Possibly someone has got details mixed up with the liquidator hoping to open two or three to do a liquidation sale of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I'm looking to fit out a utility with presses\wardrobes\etc. - does anyone have a name\number of a carpenter they would recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭eusap

look up cbm carpentry on FB, excellent work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Job going down the road in Monasterevin if anyone's interested.

Earleys Fashion Ltd. are looking for a part-time and full-time sewing machinists, full training given.

The role will involve:

* Assisting production in stitching and sewing products together
    * Using industrial sewing machines
    * Checking that all finished products match each spec as per process

Criteria:

* Experienced machinist
    * Previous experience working with industrial sewing and overlocking machines
    * Work as part of a team
    * Attention to detail
    * Excellent communication skills - both written and verbal
    * Excellent time keeping skills

To apply please visit https://kildarejobs.ie/job/14125628/sewing-machinist-part-time-and-full-time

Thanks!

NedNew2 wrote: »
    Nein.

I asked a deli-worker last time I was there (a week ago) and they said it is Burger King. The person said they didn't know when it was opening.

Still working on it but they have put the Burger King signs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Went to Firecastle in Kildare today. Lovely breakfast and nice selection of products in the shop.
    Pity that Newbridge has nothing to compare (UBH is good but doesn't open early enough and often changes the menu)

Went to Firecastle in Kildare today. Lovely breakfast and nice selection of products in the shop.
    Pity that Newbridge has nothing to compare (UBH is good but doesn't open early enough and often changes the menu)

I used to enjoy a breakfast in Bradbury’s. admittedly I haven’t been in a couple of years. Is it not still a good place for a breakfast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I used to enjoy a breakfast in Bradbury’s. admittedly I haven’t been in a couple of years. Is it not still a good place for a breakfast?

Had full breakfast there a few times many years ago. Was good but not spectacular. In recent times have only had coffee / scones in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

I’ve had the breakfast in Dunnes the odd time. Thinks it’s a costa coffee too and was great every time. Think it’s open back up again

matchthis wrote: »
    I’ve had the breakfast in Dunnes the odd time. Thinks it’s a costa coffee too and was great every time. Think it’s open back up again

Really? It has improved? I haven’t been there for many years- perhaps time to try it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭garbeth

Breakfast in Dora mays (next to the old Oscar cinema) is great. Lots of other options too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

matchthis wrote: »

Dunnes would be Cafe Sol (they bought the company)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Really? It has improved? I haven’t been there for many years- perhaps time to try it again.
    Last time there was just before we did a bit of Christmas shopping. Last time was a bit different. They’d take the order and bring it down to you as it was just a coffee shop set up out front. Still the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

i see there is some work going on in the old xtra-vision but i didnt see any planning permission for it. does anyone know whats going in there.

I also see major work has begun on the takeaway going into the old arch bar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    i see there is some work going on in the old xtra-vision but i didnt see any planning permission for it. does anyone know whats going in there.

I also see major work has begun on the takeaway going into the old arch bar

planning rarely needed for internal works to a shop. Only if a change of use from the uses allowed in the planning would need notification

I see Newbridge's "Finest" tradesmen have had a bit of a shock today
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/cab-seize-140000-in-cash-in-newbridge-raids-as-part-of-operation-linked-to-a-criminal-gang-39572314.html

They've been gouging elderly people for years.

Planning permission lodged with the kcc for bergins pharmacy to extend into the empty unit beside it.

Planning permission no 201121

• Advertisement

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    Planning permission lodged with the kcc for bergins pharmacy to extend into the empty unit beside it.

Planning permission no 201121

Looks like it just retention planning. Possibly to regularise something that was noticed.

edit - its a combination of regularising a minor planning issue and taking the empty small hair salon that faces onto the carpark.
    Not a huge amount of extra space, but new layout will make it seem a lot bigger than the extra space suggests

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭collie0708

I have bought a nest thermostat on sale online but not sure who to contact to install.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Supervalu are reconfiguring the store. They have moved the butchers, fruit/vegetables etc and have moved all the aisles etc. Looks like they will have much more products available than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Damien360

Cazale wrote: »
    Supervalu are reconfiguring the store. They have moved the butchers, fruit/vegetables etc and have moved all the aisles etc. Looks like they will have much more products available than before.

I’ve never seen a soul use the butchers in either SuperValu or Tesco in years. Going to be tough for them when Aldi eventually opens up.

Damien360 wrote: »
    I’ve never seen a soul use the butchers in either SuperValu or Tesco in years. Going to be tough for them when Aldi eventually opens up.

My sentiment exactly Damien. March can’t come soon enough.

The road behind Finlay’s has been closed for weeks now, that anything to do with the Aldi construction?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Damien360

My sentiment exactly Damien. March can’t come soon enough.

The road behind Finlay’s has been closed for weeks now, that anything to do with the Aldi construction?

Don’t think so. It’s a large pipe that runs into Pairc Mhuire under the footpath between doctors and garden place (struggling for name of it). It the continues into Pairc Mhuire and goes up the centre of the road approaching the shop. Based on pipe size, I think it’s sewerage scheme. Can’t imagine Aldi would require a sewerage scheme upgrade for any reason.

On a side note, they need to do something with the Finlays site and in particular, hide that yard at one side of the garage as it looks like a ****hole.

Don’t think so. It’s a large pipe that runs into Pairc Mhuire under the footpath between doctors and garden place (struggling for name of it). It the continues into Pairc Mhuire and goes up the centre of the road approaching the shop. Based on pipe size, I think it’s sewerage scheme. Can’t imagine Aldi would require a sewerage scheme upgrade for any reason.

On a side note, they need to do something with the Finlays site and in particular, hide that yard at one side of the garage as it looks like a ****hole.

applegreen was granted permission in 2018 to demolish the whole site and build a new modern petrol station and shop. It is currently under "APPEALED FINANCIAL". planning number 17256.

I thought Tesco had closed all their butcher counters (for this reason). In Supervalu the staff in the butcher area create all their tray packs, so having them available to the customer is not a big extra cost.

Aldi will take a share from everyone and like most towns where Aldi, Tesco, Dunnes, Lidl and Supervalu traed, they'll all trade well. Local examples are Edenderry, Naas (where aldi are next to Tesco) & Kildare Town.

There will be a flurry for a couple of weeks and then all will calm down.

silver2020 wrote:
    Aldi will take a share from everyone and like most towns where Aldi, Tesco, Dunnes, Lidl and Supervalu traed, they'll all trade well. Local examples are Edenderry, Naas (where aldi are next to Tesco) & Kildare Town.

I'd pick up stuff from Tesco, Supervalu, Dunnes and Marks through the week but my main shop would be in Aldi. Will save me going to Kildare town or Naas and I'd say that'll be the same for a good few people in Newbridge. I stopped going into lidl when the bakery had to stop selling their cakes individually due to covid. Probably a good thing really!

• Advertisement

I see Thai Plus has gone from cutlery road. A pity as they did the best and biggest spice bag in the town. Replaced now by a Turkish Kebab place.

Advertisement