Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Varadkar told to "shut his gob" by the UK Sun

Options

Comments

timthumbni wrote: »
    If everyone behaves like adults then the split can be easy enough.

Reality check: that's not how it works. You try to fúck over a much bigger power and they have to teach you a lesson, because otherwise every other little upstart with notions will get uppity.

It's lesson time now, and this time it's little Britain that will be getting the lesson. What a historic change this will be. By the end of this... you might even be empathising with the Irish at the hands of your country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

The problem is that no one seems to know what is “owed”.

The eu seem to just want to stick the hand in and demand more than what the uk offers. Re offering the uk anything the uk is a significant part of a lot of the eu countries economies.

I suppose you could make it harder for joe bloggs from Wigan to spend 2 grand in a week on holiday in Spain but I doubt if that would be wise for anyone concerned.

If everyone behaves like adults then the split can be easy enough.

Th UK is a net importer with imports exceeding exports by £18.1 billion in September 2017.
    More than half of UK food is imported.
    More than half of UK power is imported.
    The pound is devaluing making imports more expensive.

The cost of importing goods is going to go up, there will be no free trade without free movement and that specific point was the unequivocal outcome of the referendum, no free movement.
    The eu cannot afford to give the UK any leeway with the exit.

The average person in the UK will soon have much less money, less everything, and this will only lead to further discontent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Reality check: that's not how it works. You try to fúck over a much bigger power and they have to teach you a lesson, because otherwise every other little upstart with notions will get uppity.

It's lesson time now, and this time it's little Britain that will be getting the lesson. What a historic change this will be. By the end of this... you might even be empathising with the Irish at the hands of your country.

Jaysus. Just read what you have written there. A sackful of lemons would struggle to be more bitter.

We will see what happens. Have you paid back the loans we give you to keep the Celtic tiger (lol) afloat yet btw??

Oldtree wrote: »
    Th UK is a net importer with imports exceeding exports by £18.1 billion in September 2017.
    More than half of UK food is imported.
    More than half of UK power is imported.
    The pound is devaluing making imports more expensive.

The cost of importing goods is going to go up, there will be no free trade without free movement and that specific point was the unequivocal outcome of the referendum, no free movement.
    The eu cannot afford to give the UK any leeway with the exit.

The average person in the UK will soon have much less money, less everything, and this will only lead to further discontent.

Yes, we at a big customer of many eu countries. I’m not a businessman but I would think that most businesses would try to keep one of their best customers.

Cutting off ones own nose rarely improves ones face I have found.

Nope, UK/Cameron's immigration (or lack of) policy in the years preceding the vote.

Spot on. Back in 2004 the British government got an exemption from the EU ban on members of the new eastern European countries in the EU working in existing EU countries and let hundreds of thousands of them into Britain straight away. If anything "destabilised" Britain it was that neoliberal Tory policy choice. Made in spite of an EU prohibition. But far easier for the Europhobes to blame the EU rather than their own British politicians for that. Not to mention how all the Pakistani, Indian, West Indies families ended up in Britain via the British Empire not via the EU. The lies.

• Advertisement

Have you paid back the loans we give you to keep the Celtic tiger (lol) afloat yet btw??

Your bravado laughter, like Farage's, reminds me of this scene (from 1:30):

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Jaysus. Just read what you have written there. A sackful of lemons would struggle to be more bitter.

We will see what happens. Have you paid back the loans we give you to keep the Celtic tiger (lol) afloat yet btw??

At the same time, what do they want?

"Help come up with solutions, of which we can't ourselves figure out, or at the very least allow us fcuk you over while we steamroll ahead"

Where do I sign up?

Your bravado laughter, like Farage's, reminds me of this scene (from 1:30):

Well we know that the Irish will do as they are told by the eu. Have a vote and then keep voting until you vote for the right answer.

They might even give you a pat on the head whilst they are at it.

Laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

There may be short term difficulties. In the long run though we will get over it.

I had a full understanding that the eu had become a bureaucratic meddling mess. Just because someth8ng is difficult to leave doesn’t mean you shouldn’t leave if you have irreconcilable differences.

Personally I doubt it will have much effect. As a pleb it will be no doubt same ****, different day anyway.

Well at least you're honest about it. During the campaign people like Boris, Farage and the DUP actually suggested that the UK will be better off out of the EU.

Don't forget Tim before the UK joined the single market it, was the one getting a visit from the IMF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Well we know that the Irish will do as they are told by the eu. Have a vote and then keep voting until you vote for the right answer.

Laughable.

We did weasel a fortune out of the EU though. Politics and principles only really get you so far in Ireland, money gets you a lot further.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well at least you're honest about it. During the campaign people like Boris, Farage and the DUP actually suggested that the UK will be better off out of the EU.

I believe we will be better off. I seem to remember sf being very anti eu as well but they appear to have done an abrupt u turn over that. Like a lot of their policies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

I believe we will be better off. I seem to remember sf being very anti eu as well but they appear to have done an abrupt u turn over that. Like a lot of their policies.
    We will be in the long term in 15-20 years time.

We will be in the long term in 15-20 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Laughable.

So it IS all about mighty Blighty. Thought so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,575 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Don't forget Tim before the UK joined the single market it was the one getting a visit from the IMF.

The poster talks about money "we" gave.

The mighty Northern Ireland taxpayer he must mean.

But you just said it will be tough.

The poster talks about money "we" gave.

The mighty Northern Ireland taxpayer he must mean.

The same NI that's subsidised by 20 billion a year.

Yes, we at a big customer of many eu countries. I’m not a businessman but I would think that most businesses would try to keep one of their best customers.

They'll find others. You overestimate the size of the british market, underestimate the size of the EU, and forget that the point of a union is to have not only benefits for members but penalties for non-members. This would be the case if any state left the union and britain will be no different. This is why yez joined in the first place, for jaysus sake.

Don't forget Tim before the UK joined the single market it was the one getting a visit from the IMF.

Indeed for all the huffing, puffing and conceited sneering of the Brexiters the UK had to go begging for a massive bailout from the IMF as recently as 1976:

1976 IMF Crisis

And it isn't the only time the UK has been bailed out by foreigners since 1945:

UK pays off final instalment of US loan after 61 years

Humble pie, the new post-Brexit British favourite.

• Advertisement

A customer Tim, you will still need the goods and services unless everybody in the UK cuts back, which may be the case, but I doubt it. Business's are leaving the UK in their droves and not going to the UK to start/set up already. There is a period of austerity coming and it is going to hurt the people, not the politicians.

Dont get me wrong, I am worried for the people of the UK, we had our own dose of medicine from our politicians and bank fiasco not that long ago and suffered a real kick in the teeth for years.

Oldtree wrote: »

A customer Tim, you will still need the goods and services unless everybody in the UK cuts back, which may be the case, but I doubt it. Business's are leaving the UK in their droves and not going to the UK to start/set up already. There is a period of austerity coming and it is going to hurt the people, not the politicians.

Dont get me wrong, I am worried for the people of the UK, we had our own dose of medicine from our politicians and bank fiasco not that long ago and suffered a real kick in the teeth for years.

Funny that because people have been saying we have been governed by austerity for near on 7 years now by the Tories. So bring on more of the austerity.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's rather accurate though. britain is no longer a super power, just a backwater with delusians of granjure who yern for the good old days, who spend billions on nuclear weapons to satisfy the delusians of a minority.

we have paid back the loan to england scotland and wales in full.

Laughable.

i see you are still believing this nonsense? yeah, brexiters tend to do that, facts not being their strong point. ah well, they will learn the hard way.

do you understand the facts that
    1. after the original vote on lisbon was rejected, the EU gave concessions.
    2. this meant the treaty was effectively a different treaty so required a new vote under ireland's constitution.
    3. that had their not been a vote on the new deal that it would have been unconstitutional.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I love how the Daily Fail is covering this
    Britain wants a divorce... but an open relationship the day after': Ireland's leader sparks outrage with Brexit jibe at Theresa May
    Surprise Irish claim came at a joint press conference in Dublin earlier today
    Boris Johnson had held talks with his Irish counterpart Simon Coveney on Brexit
    He scrambled to play down the suggestion that transition could last five years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

They wouldn't have had the choice to even vote if it wadn't for our boys saving their asses in dubya dubya two...

Odhinn wrote: »
    So it IS all about mighty Blighty. Thought so.

It’s nothing of the sort. All we are doing is leaving a particular club that we don’t enjoy or agree with their policies anymore. If the members of that club want to shun someone for daring to leave then I firmly believe we are right in taking the decision to leave.

And as a Norn Iron man I have the option of even getting myself a n8ce wee Irish passport so as I’ve no diffs going to Majorca twice a year.

No one goes on about mighty Blighty or the British empire aside from bitter Irish republicans who like to bring it up at the drop of a hat. I don’t think the uk is the best nation on earth by any means and we have many faults. But we are up there imo. As are yourselves.

And we buy an awful lot of goods and services from the republic. If you want to f3ck that up good luck.

And we buy an awful lot of goods and services from the republic. If you want to f3ck that up good luck.

...well we don't. And the majority in NI didn't. However london had its own myopic concerns and as a result, 17 million people have led 60 million over the cliff.

You will still need those goods and services esp the food! While the Uk is a net exporter in lecky to Ireland, you will still need the power we provide.

It’s nothing of the sort. All we are doing is leaving a particular club that we don’t enjoy or agree with their policies anymore. If the members of that club want to shun someone for daring to leave then I firmly believe we are right in taking the decision to leave.

And as a Norn Iron man I have the option of even getting myself a n8ce wee Irish passport so as I’ve no diffs going to Majorca twice a year.

No one goes on about mighty Blighty or the British empire aside from bitter Irish republicans who like to bring it up at the drop of a hat. I don’t think the uk is the best nation on earth by any means and we have many faults. But we are up there imo. As are yourselves.

Where are you getting your facts from? NI only buys around 2% of our exports. 32% of the North's go to the republic.

• Advertisement

Where are you getting your facts from? NI only buys around 2% of our exports. 32% of the North's go to the republic.

It is the uk leaving the eu. Not specifically Norn Iron.

Things will work out in the end. It certainly won’t be bitter anti British Irish republicans who have the final say.

It seems some of the Irish have become a nation of bed wetters. Maybe someday you will leave the EU yourselves. Who knows? Never say never and all that....

Advertisement