Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Varadkar told to "shut his gob" by the UK Sun

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

spurious wrote: »
    Gay, "Arish" and a little bit brown. I'm surprised the super soaraway Sun's collective undies haven't exploded.
    Did they miss the bit about him being the son of a immurgrant ??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sir Humphrey: The only way to understand the Press is to remember that they pander to their readers' prejudices.

Jim Hacker: Don't tell me about the Press. I know *exactly* who reads the papers. The Daily Mirror is read by the people who think they run the country. The Guardian is read by people who think they *ought* to run the country. The Times is read by the people who actually *do* run the country. The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country. The Financial Times is read by people who *own* the country. The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by *another* country. The Daily Telegraph is read by the people who think it is.

Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister, what about the people who read The Sun?

Bernard Woolley:
    Sun readers don't care *who* runs the country - as long as she's got big tits.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

The Cult of Liberalism which currently infects Eire has declared him untouchable.

listermint wrote: »
    The sun is gutter rag. I wouldn't use it to wipe.

The Sun is my favourite paper. Soft, strong and thoroughly absorbent. Works great for litter trays. And people regularly throw them away after looking at the boobsreading the much informative articles.

Varadkar kinda deserves to get it in the neck from the print media. Not sure if the Sun qualifies, mind you.

No Taoiseach has spent as much in limiting and controlling access to him, appointing a separate PR department at huge cost, spending much of his time devising his social media releases. Journalists have spoken about it recently, saying it's a huge change from all other Taoisigh, though Kenny showed signs of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Never look at the Sun.

the ironic thing is they won't get what they want, because government doesn't want to pay for it. the government could always control the borders and immigration but chose not to hugely do so, because they didn't want to fund the resources for border control.

And of course all those "enterprising" Tory-supporting businesses absolutely love cheap labour and there's nothing like immigration to keep competition strong/wages low. Support these pro-immigration policies but verbally condemn immigration/wrap the union jack around you and you're re-elected.

The irony of the same Tory party which supports neoliberal free market economics/cheap labour most then turning around and playing the Europhobia/xenophobia card as a defender of ordinary Brits and "traditional British values" will forever be lost on the people who support Brexit.
    That the British press is owned by a handful of uber wealthy Tory-financing oligarchs really brings the puppetry of that electorate home. This, unlike Marx's famous assessment of Louis Napoléon in comparison to his uncle, is the farce before the tragedy of Brexit.

'That’s easy,' he replied. 'When I go into Downing Street they do what I say; when I go to Brussels they take no notice'
    - Rupert Murdoch, explaining why he is against the EU (Source)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Sir Humphrey: The only way to understand the Press is to remember that they pander to their readers' prejudices.

Jim Hacker: Don't tell me about the Press. I know *exactly* who reads the papers. The Daily Mirror is read by the people who think they run the country. The Guardian is read by people who think they *ought* to run the country. The Times is read by the people who actually *do* run the country. The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country. The Financial Times is read by people who *own* the country. The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by *another* country. The Daily Telegraph is read by the people who think it is.

Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister, what about the people who read The Sun?

Bernard Woolley:
    Sun readers don't care *who* runs the country - as long as she's got big tits.

To see how that is still pretty accurate today is depressing. Especially the Telegraph. I'd always thought it to be fairly respectable until it suddenly went rabid. Apparently it always had those leanings!

The worst trash are the ones printing pictures of people they don't agree with ( judges, politicians) with dog-whistles of "go get them" if they don't like their opinions (or legal judgments)*. After the murder of Jo Cox, I can only assume that the people doing it are ****stains on the pants of humanity.

*Calling them traitors or mutineers on the front page, big spreads on how these are the source of all woes and will destroy the country bullsh*t. It's the sort of irresponsible, malicious, dangerous behavior that could get someone else killed. Scum. Absolute scum. And I don't use that term lightly for people.

listermint wrote: »
    The sun is gutter rag. I wouldn't use it to wipe.

Absolutely ****e paper

Surely it would be uncomfortable as f*ck to use any newspaper to wipe your ass, regardless of journalistic integrity?

Varadkar kinda deserves to get it in the neck from the print media. Not sure if the Sun qualifies, mind you.

No Taoiseach has spent as much in limiting and controlling access to him, appointing a separate PR department at huge cost, spending much of his time devising his social media releases. Journalists have spoken about it recently, saying it's a huge change from all other Taoisigh, though Kenny showed signs of it.

There is nobody* suggesting Varadkar is a saint or that he's immune to criticism. By all means hold him to account where he and his government fails. The slick PR machine, the continuing indifference to crises in the health service and homelessness, the dragging of heels when it comes to forming a position on the 8th amendment, the out-of-touch insistence that any old average wage lackey can magically afford a mortgage......there are plenty of valid reasons to dislike the man and be critical of the ways he and his government handle certain issues.

But none of that is related to the Brexit issue, where the British government needs to be held fully account for the rapidly unfurling, untenable shítstorm that they (not Ireland, not the EU, not that pesky George Soros and his evil team of libtardzes) alone have brought to the continent. So when jingoist Union jack wavers (who long for the days when the Empire ruled the paddies and the brown people, stuck it to the Germans and can't fathom why anyone could possibly want to be ruled by anyone other than a Windsor) criticise the Irish government for putting the interests of Ireland over those of the UK, they need to be told in no uncertain terms to fúck right off.
    kuntboy wrote: »
    The Cult of Liberalism which currently infects Eire has declared him untouchable.

The banana of ocelots which obsequiously impregnates Éire has spanked him undesirable.

See, I can also put words in a certain order to make a sentence that's complete and utter gibberish. Language is fun!

*Clearly what I should have said is "nobody who offers a valid and meaningful point instead of a snappy but ultimately meaningless one-liner."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I will admit that I voted to leave the eu.

I have no regrets about doing so. I wouldn’t be surprised now if there was no deal before leaving as I believe the eu bureaucrats (and there are many, many of those) will make it impossible.

This will be hard for us in the uk but it won’t be the end of the world. In fact the antics of the eu currently are reinforcing my belief that we should indeed leave. It appears to be more of a jail sentence than a club. To quote the great Marx brother you should never join any club that would accept you as a member...

I have no real opinion on your pm. His dismantling of Adams and Mary Lou was quite entertaining so I have to give him credit for that. And he wears Canadian pm style novelty socks......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Not too bothered if it doesn't. I won't SNP it by thinking it's going to be fantastic economically. I'd just be lying.

The mind boggles, it really does. Are you really prepared to see a significant erosion in your standard of living in order deliver Brexit? Would you abandon your nice comfy house (if you own or rent one) and go live in a tent if that what it took?
    People must make sacrifices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

People must make sacrifices.

What sacrifices will you make?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

timthumbni wrote: »

I have no regrets about doing so. I wouldn’t be surprised now if there was no deal before leaving as I believe the eu bureaucrats (and there are many, many of those) will make it impossible.

This will be hard for us in the uk but it won’t be the end of the world. In fact the antics of the eu currently are reinforcing my belief that we should indeed leave. It appears to be more of a jail sentence than a club. To quote the great Marx brother you should never join any club that would accept you as a member...

I have no real opinion on your pm. His dismantling of Adams and Mary Lou was quite entertaining so I have to give him credit for that. And he wears Canadian pm style novelty socks......
    It’s the UK that want to have their cake and eat it tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Imo your country will regret it.

Did you as a voter have a full understanding of what you were voting for and the implications that's would have in isolating your country from the eu market both financially and physically and the cost to you that this will bring?

snowflaker wrote: »
    It’s the UK that want to have their cake and eat it tbf

Not really. They of course want free trade which really benefits all. The eu was originally set up for this very reason and that’s where it should have stayed. It unfortunately turned into a bureaucratic monster and that’s why the uk voted to leave in the end.

There are many others unhappy with the direction the eu has taken and I firmly believe the uk is just the first of many to leave. The eu are obviously trying to make an example of what happens when you don’t toe their line as a warning to others. In the long run this will go against themselves.

All in my opinion of course. No one knows what the future holds. The uk is a major player in the eu countries finances though whether they are part of the eu or not. If the eu decide to play hardball then it could be a case of them cutting off their own nose....

Oldtree wrote: »
    Imo your country will regret it.

Did you as a voter have a full understanding of what you were voting for and the implications that's would have in isolating your country from the eu market both financially and physically and the cost to you that this will bring?

There may be short term difficulties. In the long run though we will get over it.

I had a full understanding that the eu had become a bureaucratic meddling mess. Just because someth8ng is difficult to leave doesn’t mean you shouldn’t leave if you have irreconcilable differences.

Personally I doubt it will have much effect. As a pleb it will be no doubt same ****, different day anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

In fairness, a person is entitled to vote how they like, but the promises of Brexit to me seem just so empty.

The blatant lies from UKIP regarding savings for the NHS, which was almost immediately backtracked, is a prime example and it's duping people plain and simple.

Farage just up and leaving the mess to others is completely morally corrupt and un-statesmanlike IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

In fairness, a person is entitled to vote how they like, but the promises of Brexit to me seem just so empty.

The Brexit happened not because of a 'pull to' effect (promise of financial savings), those gains are secondary. More-so a 'pull from' (fear) effect is what caused the extra few percentage points.

i.e. Basic psychology 'fight v flight', 'fear vs pleasure' etc.

The single causation that caused 52% of the (2nd largest ever UK vote) was the fear of 'uncontrolled immigration', and Cameroon (probably now chillaxing in the Caribbean or somewhere) is directly responsible for such an event.

The worrying thing is the lack of preparation on all sides for the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Not really. They of course want free trade which really benefits all. The eu was originally set up for this very reason and that’s where it should have stayed. It unfortunately turned into a bureaucratic monster and that’s why the uk voted to leave in the end.

There are many others unhappy with the direction the eu has taken and I firmly believe the uk is just the first of many to leave. The eu are obviously trying to make an example of what happens when you don’t toe their line as a warning to others. In the long run this will go against themselves.

All in my opinion of course. No one knows what the future holds. The uk is a major player in the eu countries finances though whether they are part of the eu or not. If the eu decide to play hardball then it could be a case of them cutting off their own nose....

....whatever bureaucacy was involved in running the EU, it lifted it from people seeking to do business across the continent, which was the point. Now Britain is going to either do a deal along norwegian lines or end up in kafka-eque territory.

• Advertisement

People that believe what’s written in the sun are by and large mouth breathers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

The Sun is my favourite paper. Soft, strong and thoroughly absorbent. Works great for litter trays. And people regularly throw them away after looking at the boobsreading the much informative articles.

Trouble is, it's already covered in you-know-what before your particular purpose for it.

Free movement of trade comes with free movement of people! Take it or leave it!

Why does the EU have to offer the UK anything? Pay what’s owed and leave.

By signing treaties you sign up for stuff- it’s a bit like the littlewood catalogue

The blatant lies from UKIP regarding savings for the NHS, which was almost immediately backtracked, is a prime example and it's duping people plain and simple.

Farage just up and leaving the mess to others is completely morally corrupt and un-statesmanlike IMO.

Farage was never going to lead anything as UKIP were always a small party seats wise.

As for lies and bull**** from a politician it’s hardly new. All of them do it. The blame for the uk brexit vote lies with the eu themselves. If they had stuck with what they were originally set up for then there would likely have been no issue.

Farage was never going to lead anything as UKIP were always a small party seats wise.

As for lies and bull**** from a politician it’s hardly new. All of them do it. The blame for the uk brexit vote lies with the eu themselves. If they had stuck with what they were originally set up for then there would likely have been no issue.

Coal and Steel?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Odhinn

........total mickey, tbh. You had euroskeptic tories droning on in the background, who would have eventually faded into extinction if they'd been ignored, and then cameron being stupid enough to give a single issue party a public vote on a single issue. Throw in low turn out and there yez are.

snowflaker wrote: »
    Free movement of trade comes with free movement of people! Take it or leave it!

Why does the EU have to offer the UK anything? Pay what’s owed and leave.

By signing treaties you sign up for stuff- it’s a bit like the littlewood catalogue

The problem is that no one seems to know what is “owed”.

The eu seem to just want to stick the hand in and demand more than what the uk offers. Re offering the uk anything the uk is a significant part of a lot of the eu countries economies.

I suppose you could make it harder for joe bloggs from Wigan to spend 2 grand in a week on holiday in Spain but I doubt if that would be wise for anyone concerned.

If everyone behaves like adults then the split can be easy enough.

The problem is that no one seems to know what is “owed”.

The eu seem to just want to stick the hand in and demand more than what the uk offers. Re offering the uk anything the uk is a significant part of a lot of the eu countries economies.

I suppose you could make it harder for joe bloggs from Wigan to spend 2 grand in a week on holiday in Spain but I doubt if that would be wise for anyone concerned.

If everyone behaves like adults then the split can be easy enough.

Unlike the UK, tbf EU had done their research and given the figures to Davis.

Delusional and blinkered as fúck. Christ almighty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The blame for the uk brexit vote lies with the eu themselves.

Nope, UK/Cameron's immigration (or lack of) policy in the years preceding the vote.

Advertisement