Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Varadkar told to "shut his gob" by the UK Sun

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Man but there's some amount of snobbery and condescension on this thread.

That you Michael Gove?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Is considering the sun to be a worthless waste of paper snobbery?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom, it wasn't a Northern Ireland based vote on if Northern Ireland should remain in the EU but the United Kingdom. Leave won.

Classic unionist linear thinking. “We’re all in this together”, regardless of the consequences. I’d say the local NI pro-Brexit ‘economists’ must think the needs of NI are in synch with that of Essex........

Why wouldn't we be? If  you voted Brexit you most certainly want to see it delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I thanked your post because I agree with it. However it's hard not to be snobby when it comes to a paper which states that Leo Varadker's Brexit blocking is an IRA plot. So I'll state it again, Sun readers are cretins. Some of the more hateful article from the rag have been xenophobic, anti-Irish and bordered on dangerous. Readers of the Sun are helping support that. So yes I do feel superior to them.

• Advertisement

Why wouldn't we be? If  you voted Brexit you most certainly want to see it delivered.

Do you think Brexit will improve NI economically? If you do, how will it?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭famagusta

Why wouldn't we be? If you voted Brexit you most certainly want to see it delivered.

I'd say a lot of people that voted for brexit would happily back out now, they are only realising the mess they are in now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

famagusta wrote: »
    Why wouldn't we be? If you voted Brexit you most certainly want to see it delivered.

I'd say a lot of people that voted for brexit would happily back out now, they are only realising the mess they are in now
    No basis for that do you?

Do you think Brexit will improve NI economically? If you do, how will it?
    Not too bothered if it doesn't. I won't SNP it by thinking it's going to be fantastic economically. I'd just be lying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Ahhh yes, the S*n, a shining beacon of journalistic and editorial integrity through the ages.

Tbh, my ar$e requires a higher degree of worth than using that every day.

Personally, I prefer paper to remove deposits rather than lather them on but that is just a personal preference for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭famagusta

No basis for that do you?

I have two brothers living in England, they say a lot of people are complaining about the amount of misinformation before the vote. They didn't understand the consequences

• Advertisement

Ahhh yes, the S*n, a shining beacon of journalistic and editorial integrity through the ages.

The Sun is patently a rag, odious and Murdoch is a bad man. Like we know this for a very, very long time. It's the disparaging generalisations about the British working class I was referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The Sun is patently a rag, odious and Murdoch is a bad man. Like we know this for a very, very long time. It's the disparaging generalisations about the British working class I was referring to.
    My apologies, I mistook your post as a defense of the paper(sic).

No, just about the Sun readers and writers. Speaking of the writers, most of them are the oppisite of working class.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    No, just about the Sun readers and writers. Speaking if the writers, most of them are the oppisite of working class.

If you read the thread you can't fail to see a lot of sneery comments about 'da stupid sun reading brits'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

The Sun is for hi-vis jacketed, white van drivers sat in a greasy spoon in Gravesend with West Ham or Chelsea tattoo's.

The U.K is for them, a global superpower, only slightly less rich and important than the U.S.

Ireland for them is full of small terraced houses harbouring terrorists and halting sites.

The U.K, by the way won WW2, and did it all alone a la Jason Statham, nothing to do with the Soviets or the American's.

The go-to paper for the thick as pigsh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I'm no fan of Varadkar by any means, but I wouldn't use the Sun as toilet paper frankly. As others have mentioned, it is simply a sensationalist odious rag. People in the Northwest of England have a particular dislike of it also and not just in Liverpool.

As for Brexit, it appeared to me that it was mostly older people who voted to leave on the basis of border control, immigration etc. I suppose the tragic events at Manchester and London won't do anything to dim that viewpoint for that particular demographic. However, there was certainly a sense of "have we done the right thing here?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

All The Sun is good for is publishing pictures of half naked women. This is the best they could manage to shoehorn into that story. They missed a trick by not Photoshopping a strap on onto the policewoman.

nintchdbpict000354364381.jpg?strip=all&w=960

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Paulzx

famagusta wrote: »
    I have two brothers living in England, they say a lot of people are complaining about the amount of misinformation before the vote. They didn't understand the consequences

.........and that's the problem. Most people are sheep. They follow rather than informing themselves correctly.

As voters we have an obligation to ensure that we know what we are voting for. The correct information is always out there but you won't find it in the Sun.

Having a vote carries responsabilites that many people can't live up to

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I'm no fan of Varadkar by any means, but I wouldn't use the Sun as toilet paper frankly. As others have mentioned, it is simply a sensationalist odious rag. People in the Northwest of England have a particular dislike of it also and not just in Liverpool.

As for Brexit, it appeared to me that it was mostly older people who voted to leave on the basis of border control, immigration etc. I suppose the tragic events at Manchester and London won't do anything to dim that viewpoint for that particular demographic. However, there was certainly a sense of "have we done the right thing here?".

the ironic thing is they won't get what they want, because government doesn't want to pay for it. the government could always control the borders and immigration but chose not to hugely do so, because they didn't want to fund the resources for border control.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

All The Sun is good for is publishing pictures of half naked women. This is the best they could manage to shoehorn into that story. They missed a trick by not Photoshopping a strap on onto the policewoman.

nintchdbpict000354364381.jpg?strip=all&w=960

Although the girl puking directly over the drink aware slogan was quite astute of them.

• Advertisement

If you read the thread you can't fail to see a lot of sneery comments about 'da stupid sun reading brits'.

And if you read the comments section of the sun you can't fail to see anti-Irish comments. At various times the Sun's articles have been anti-Irish, Muslim and various other ethnic groups. One headline during the Falklands war read "Gotcha" in relation to the sinking of an Argentinian ship and loss of many lives. Their readers are the ones who support this racism and homophobia by buying the paper. So yes, their readers are stupid and probrably a bit racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Varadkar is an absolute disaster. More concerned with his socks than solving the many issues we face as a nation.

I mostly see him as carrying on as he did with Social Protection, a superficial politician who trades in big announcements, but does little (leaving us with a defective, ineffective and costly social welfare system). He must be so grateful at the existence of the Eight Amendment, as it can make him look epoch making, rather than the non-entity he really is.

Being working class isn't a get-out-of-jail card for ignorance and stupidity. Anyone who willingly reads the Sun and chooses to believe the shíte contained within it deserves to be sneered at, regardless of their class background.

Similarly, condemnation of the deluded hardcore Brexiteer ideology can hardly be called "snobbery" when you see those from the upper and political classes championing it. The "Little Englander with vesitges of British imperialsm" mentality is a pox regardless what level of society it comes from; it's not merely a working class stereotype when you see upper-class **** like Boris "£250,00 is chicken feed" Johnson and Nigel "man-of-the-people-despite-being-a-City-of-London-stockroker" Farage indulging so gleefully in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I think Varadkar is doing the right thing in preventing the creation of a border after Brexit. The British unionists in the North & the Tories in the UK are doing a terrible job about how they can about this process unchallenged by thinking that their way is the right one for all. These Brexit leave campaigners in the UK & unionists in NI will run the UK & the Irish border into the ground if they don't find a way to stop the creation of an Irish trade border with the Republic of Ireland from being an eventual reality. The Sun taking part in this debate along with other tabloids who share the same views as those in the north & UK are not to be trusted at all when talking about issue. I say this because these newspapers have poisonous views of how to keep their way on life on very gullible people who believe their garbage journalism on tap for the masses of stupidity.

When talking about doing trade with NI & the UK; peoples livelihoods will be at stake here if they can't find a solution to this impending mess. The talking coming from Varadkar is encouraging when he talks about Brexit. I think he has a stance that is both agreeable & workable with the majority of Irish people. But when you talk about the UK; he has to take them further by playing a advantage that will benefit us for many generations to come. Can he do that himself to benefit the country; I honestly don't know because this process is very unpredictable when talking about Brexit.

The Sun don't have a proper & credible view on Brexit though as they should stay in the gutter & be ignored by the masses.

I think Varadkar is doing the right thing in preventing the creation of a border after Brexit. The British unionists in the North & the Tories in the UK are doing a terrible job about how they can about this process unchallenged by thinking that their way is the right one for all. These Brexit leave campaigners in the UK & unionists in NI will run the UK & the Irish border into the ground if they don't find a way to stop the creation of an Irish trade border with the Republic of Ireland from being an eventual reality. The Sun taking part in this debate along with other tabloids who share the same views as those in the north & UK are not to be trusted at all when talking about issue. I say this because these newspapers have poisonous views of how to keep their way on life on very gullible people who believe their garbage journalism on tap for the masses of stupidity.

When talking about doing trade with NI & the UK; peoples livelihoods will be at stake here if they can't find a solution to this impending mess. The talking coming from Varadkar is encouraging when he talks about Brexit. I think he has a stance that is both agreeable & workable with the majority of Irish people. But when you talk about the UK; he has to take them further by playing a advantage that will benefit us for many generations to come. Can he do that himself to benefit the country; I honestly don't know because this process is very unpredictable when talking about Brexit.

The Sun don't have a proper & credible view on Brexit though as they should stay in the gutter & be ignored by the masses.

i wonder could it be banned as an extremist publication, based on the fact that what it prints may radicalise people given it's extremist nature?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Maybe Irexit could actually be a future option, as today European's 'illuminated' Finance Commissioner said:

"They don’t seem to fear anything except light, so it is up to us to generate that light",
    - calling for member states to adopt a 'Common Consolidated Corporate Tax Base' (CCCTB) in an effort get transparency on tax.

All the while the Brexiteers will have a fairly low CT rate by 2020. Some talk of them aiming for 'tax haven' status (probably the only chance of doing well post-brexit).
    Either Irexit or start learning French & German (Chinese too, not Irish) in the schools, a quickly built tunnel to Brittany-France would be ideal but highly unlikely.

Irexit would be the death of this country. we would be back to the 1950s within minutes. no thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Irexit would be the death of this country. we would be back to the 1950s within minutes. no thanks

Probably, but what also would happen if CT suddenly went from 12.5% to 22.5%? Add in high-wages, high-rents, high-rainfall, high-distribution costs...

Doesn't something like 80% of exports to the EU go via Britain, how's that going to work out when they leave.

Not too bothered if it doesn't. I won't SNP it by thinking it's going to be fantastic economically. I'd just be lying.

The mind boggles, it really does. Are you really prepared to see a significant erosion in your standard of living in order deliver Brexit? Would you abandon your nice comfy house (if you own or rent one) and go live in a tent if that what it took?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

we would be back to the 1950s within minutes. no thanks

Nope...thats impossible,unless you have Marty mcflys delorean.

Advertisement