Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the mind believes the Body achieves!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I am going to try and improve my skills on race reports lol I love reading ones that include splits with mile or KM break down and I guess a good way to see if you are improving.

Sunday 19th Gingerbread Half 2.11.10 (7 seconds faster than my first HM)

Got up nice and early feeling very relaxed, no pre-race nerves :) we were meeting some friends at 9.15 am so time flew as we gathered all we needed heading out including some last minute wardrobe changes as it was freezing. We had a lovely drive over chatting 3 of us were running the half 6 were running the 10km, we arrived nice and early numbers collected and before we knew it we were lined up at the start, where I met some other friends running their first half, I planned on keeping with them for as long as we could and enjoying the company and keeping it easy. No chasing any PB. After a short walk/jog to the start, we were off.

KM 1, 2, 3 splits 6.29, 6.08, 6.10
    It was a very congested start so it was easy to keep the pace easy, we did not bother trying to weave in and out we just stuck together chatting letting those who wanted to run faster go and moving past other runners when we could. We were all running together 10km and half marathon, which I enjoyed as my friend who was running the 10km could stick with us.

KM 4, 5, 6 splits 6.06, 6.11, 6.07
    It started to spread out here, great atmosphere around us. I got the job of watching the pace :) much to my amusement which meant slowing us down rather than speeding us up, we all pretty much stayed together except for one of the lads who pushed on ahead, there were a few drags and as we started our 5km we had a nice hill to tackle, but I did not notice it as we were asked to move left as the first of the 10km came speeding past so we enjoyed cheering them in and calling out to the women what position they were in I forgot all about that hill, we passed our first water station at this stage plenty for everyone. 6km came and we said goodbye to J as she turned for home wishing her well.

KM 7, 8, 9 splits 6.03, 6.26, 6.22
    We caught up with our speedy tear away as we approached the highest elevation of the course poor guy was hurting, groin and Knee but he was determined to keep going, my Hubby stayed with him as he waved us on. So we ran on looking ahead of the nice little hills ahead of us taking full advantage of any downhill.

KM 10, 11, 12, 13 splits 6.10, 6.18, 6.25, 6.26
    The pace was nice and easy plenty of chatting. my left calf was feeling a little tight which I noticed more on inclines but went on any downhill or flat section, my gut told me it would be ok and it eased off again, one or two passed us but no one else for a long time, we were on our own.

KM 14,15,16,17 splits 6.16, 6.14, 6.05, 6.12
    Between 14 and 15km the girls slowed down a little, I was just a little ahead of them and they urged me to keep going as we caught up with another girl who had just passed us earlier on, I could still hear them behind me chatting and I was watching the large group ahead of us and slowly caught up and passed them. The effort felt easy, noticed a weird pain in my left knee but I told it to go away! Thankfully it did! I passed some supporters from my local running club which was a great boost I was feeling pretty thirsty and was delighted to see the last water station and grab a bottle of water and a jelly baby!! I was so happy to grab it. A few more locals were out supporting and urging us on, it really does help to spur you on.

KM 18,19,20,21 and a bit! Splits 6.33,6.03,6.04,5.41 and 4.07
    After eating my jelly, drinking as much water as I could before dropping it at the designated drop off, passed a group of little kids all shouting out encouragement so had to high5 them all. I caught up to another group as we rounded a corner to a huge massive hill: D (well it probably was not huge but at 18km it felt HUGE LOL) I had a nice stitch from gulping too much water and tummy was gurgling with wind pardon me!
    we all encouraged each other up ''the massive hill'' one man was brilliant he shouted dig deep keep the effort steady and move those arms, I looked at my watch and it must have been steep enough, I had slowed right down to 8min KM pace eek, reached the top and enjoyed the little downhill for a bit of recovery no weeeee down it. We joined back up with the section we had run out on and I was glad it was downhill to the finish, I passed a good few with 2 km to go some from another local running club which I thought when I saw them ahead that I could catch and run with them to the finish. but found myself easing on by, finally seen the 1km to go sign and thought it was safe enough to push on, it was great coming back in loads of supporters calling out our names and my friends who had ran the 10km were waiting to support us in. finished feeling good I could have ran further and I know pushed on faster. So I think I achieved my goal of taking it easy.

All in all a great run!

Legs felt a little stiff as I waited for the rest of our group to finish, and arches of my feet which always seem to hurt after long runs. But once I sit down and rest it goes away and they are fine today. My calf is tender today, so I am resting for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Sounds like a great race and brilliant report. Glad you enjoyed it.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Sounds like a great race and brilliant report. Glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks, K it was a great day minus the cold :)

Numbers arrived for the Waterford half this morning nice timing chip you attach to your runner :) another fun social run I think

This weeks training has not gone to plan,

Tuesday I missed my group run I was on parenting duty:) but did get some walking in although not at a hard pace when I had my 4-year-old walking with me

Wednesday, normally spinning but my sister came down and stayed over I felt it would be rude to leave her.

Thursday, 5.5km 33 minutes
    Strava has my average pace at 5.59 my watch says 6 minute Km I started off nice and slow and it was dark but I think that was a little fast, it felt easier though I couldn't see my watch in the dark and my hands were freezing must remember my gloves! I finished up with some stretches and felt great afterwards

Friday planned 16 to 17 KM actual 15KM @6.49 1 hour 49 minutes
    We ran this with a few friends who are running at the Waterford AC half marathon, I do not think I have ever felt as cold on a run and I love running in the cold! I wore my light running jacket and took it off around 3km in, turned a corner running into the wind and had to put it back on.My hands and arms were freezing. The pace was nice and easy, had to stop and stretch once
    One of our friends J started to feel really sick so we headed back to my house and finished at 15km. poor J was in a bad way I think it might have been caused by not eating enough during the day and foods she does not normally eat! the lads got another 4km done :D

saturday was a rest day and tomorrow we are going hiking in Glendalough and I can not wait

Also stay safe on your runs people, a woman was out running just down the road from where I live on a popular road for walkers and runners myself included and she was attacked :( they have not caught him yet and I hope she is ok, it is quite scary as it is a road I have run hundreds of time on my own and in the dark, she was out early morning I can not help but wonder if he was watching her.

Very scary about the poor woman. I’m out on my own in the dark an awful lot too - more so in the evening though and there’s generally walkers and other runners around where I go. It’s awful though. I hope she’s ok.

• Advertisement

Very scary about the poor woman. I’m out on my own in the dark an awful lot too - more so in the evening though and there’s generally walkers and other runners around where I go. It’s awful though. I hope she’s ok.

It was a bad attack, unfortunately :( I think we just need to be more aware and stay in busy areas it has made me think about self-defence or getting my dog out with me if I am on my own!

Baby75 wrote: »
    It was a bad attack, unfortunately :( I think we just need to be more aware and stay in busy areas it has made me think about self-defence or getting my dog out with me if I am on my own!

Poor lady. I’m always conscious at night especially but there are some scum bags out there. I hope he’s caught soon. It’s scary that he hasn’t been caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Poor lady. I’m always conscious at night especially but there are some scum bags out there. I hope he’s caught soon. It’s scary that he hasn’t been caught.

They should have their nuts removed with a rusty pliers if they're caught!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Found you Baby75 :) Delighted to see you have a log on the go and recovering well from DCM. Well done on a great first marathon, the first of many I suspect :)

Really sorry to hear about the lady being attacked near you, I'm 100% guilty of underestimating the dangers of being out in quiet areas on my own.

Looking forward to following your journey here. Still planning on Coast2Coast in 2018?

Neady83 wrote: »
    Found you Baby75 :) Delighted to see you have a log on the go and recovering well from DCM. Well done on a great first marathon, the first of many I suspect :)

Really sorry to hear about the lady being attacked near you, I'm 100% guilty of underestimating the dangers of being out in quiet areas on my own.

Looking forward to following your journey here. Still planning on Coast2Coast in 2018?

Hi Neady, how are you doing :) good to see you here Thanks so much, I loved it I had a great day thankfully we cycled home afterwards my hubby cycled up and found the marathon hard going the group he came up with most are training for The Race in March.
    yep still planning coast2coast a friend has Kyacks we can get some training in on and then getting out for longer on the bike which I am looking forward to.

They still have not caught that guy as far as I know :eek: I hope they do!

• Advertisement

Be warned it ain't a pretty one but I got it done! Working in miles as even though I run in KM counting down the miles just seemed easier and worked in my head

Waterford AC Half Marathon
    Chip time was 2 hours 13 minutes 20 seconds

Great event, for me I thought it was a hard course the Mountain Hills :D while not many! one or two was what I read beforehand ;) where decent and where long in distance. I normally love hills but yesterday not so much! Yesterday my language was not so pretty when describing the course

It was a chilly enough morning at the start no one wanted to take off their tops, my friend J and I wanted to line up with the 2hr 10 pacers and see how we go not putting ourselves under a lot of pressure to keep the pace on the hills letting them go and catching them again. but the lads all lined up at the very back it was their first half and were being careful, we moved back to them and I felt uneasy I was not comfortable at all starting here, I felt under pressure or something. The plan I had in my head was gone! But I did not want to be rude and they are great lads they would never leave you behind :)

Mile 1,2, 3
    A nice fast downhill from the start out on to the main road and we watched the leaders race by running up the opposite side, We turned a corner and straight uphill for mile 2 with a little respite at the top before going up again! we were all chatting away and a girl who ran the course said to us ''that is the last hill till around the 10-mile mark before we head to the finish'' we would find out very soon that was not true LOL or else she meant 10km :D on we ran into an industrial estate not much to report on that

Miles 4,5,6
    Still running through the Industrial estate which was hard on the legs all concrete, so I was so glad to see the turn back out on to the road and we could pick up the pace a little, we headed out on to some small country roads and started to head uphill HMMM I was starting to worry my legs felt tired and checking my watch pace was slower but effort felt like I was running much faster.

Mile 7,8,9
    still running on the country road we had a nice little downhill to the second water stop but we had to run back uphill after so tried to keep steady and not drop the pace to help get up the other side! I knew I had no chance of a PB at this point as legs had started to feel heavy and I knew we had another hill which was a mile long to run, it was a nice relief to reach the top and enjoy the downhill weeee as we turned again and one of the marshals said a nice flat mile for us, have to say they did an excellent job yesterday supporting us and making sure we were safe and knew where to go, to keeping traffic moving or stopped and chatting to drivers letting them know what was happening and when they would let them go. I really had to watch my footing here, the ground underfoot was very uneven with loose gravel on it, everyone was quite not much chat at all, it was an effort to keep pace, at last, we where off the gravel and felt I was moving well but then came the start of the long hill lol

Waterford Half Marathon
    part 2:

Mile 10,11,12,13
    felt like the fish Dory out of Nemo, ''just keep moving, just keep moving'' pretend it is the gingerbread run again :D so it was head down pump the arms and get up the hill all the while keeping an eye behind me for J who had slipped back on me I did not want to lose her now. We reached the top and yay downhill and flat :) legs felt so tired and felt relieved that I could up the pace a little and enjoyed this bit even better when we passed the 10-mile marker only 3 miles to go! I looked back to J and called her on to catch up as I slowed down to wait but she waved me on :) I pushed on I think we had 2 miles to go and it got a bit hard going again lots around me where walking with one lady walking then running so I pass her and she would pass me and so on! came to a steep bit and I stopped and walked myself not for long just enough to get past a steep part before turning a corner I gave out to myself over it! pushed on it was so close to the finish no giving up now! passed the 12-mile marker and could have skipped for joy yay! I knew I could run home the 3/4 proved that to me! and enjoyed focusing on someone in front of me catching them and passing kept me busy and the finish was in sight now! I knew hubby was waiting he had a great day a PB for him yay! the lady who was run and walking earlier came up beside me, I got the feeling she wanted to pass me! not today I increased my pace and very happy with how I finished a nice fast sprint to the finish line passing all in front of me and I was so glad it was over.
    Chip time was 2 hours 13 minutes 20 seconds

Overall I am happy I ran, I found this harder and fighting some doubts in my head can I or will I ever break my best time so far 2hrs 11 minutes!. I really wanted a PB but as soon as I saw my 10km split time I knew it was not happening, I was running slower but the effort felt faster. I knew what pace I needed to do but knew if I tried to maintain it, I would have a horrible run or worse blow up! So it became all about finishing strong! Which I did :) I was still smiling in my finishers pictures :D

On a good note, any previous niggles from DCM are gone yay! but after I finished my knee was very sore and was still sore when I woke up this morning, I have a support on and had a small run and a walk while watching my daughter and 2 of my boys run it was her first 5km, I am so proud of her she loved it and is only 9.
    the knee feels so much better now, I will see how it is over the next few days and if needed I will book an appointment with physio!

thanks for reading

I took a week off after the Waterford half my right knee was very sore and decided to rest it this was new for me never suffered from knee pain like this before I thought it was my IT band but all seems ok now and working on S&C to sort out any weakness causing these issues

So Sunday came round and snow or no snow I had to get out I missed it so much and needed the run to clear the head even if it was going to be a little hard underfoot. I headed out with Hubby and a friend who was feeling exactly like me :) it was hard going the snow really slowed us down but we had to be careful as well, just under 5km and felt great when we finished

Rested Monday

Tuesday : I headed to club for a run a nice easy paced 8km my legs felt stiff, not sure if it was the cold or the slow pace but it was still good to be out and at 1km left to go myself and one of the girls increased the pace to sprint the last 600m I have to say I really enjoyed it felt great to run fast and sprint the last bit to the club. we had to be very careful still a lot of ice in chunks on some of the paths.
    stayed for S&C all core work :) still feeling it today in a good way

Wednesday
    My first ever speed session & yoga
    I was first to arrive eek eager bever !!! I felt a little daunted as people started to arrive and knew them to say hello to and these are the ladies and gents that would place at events out of the club so had a little oh crap moment fully sure I was a little out of my dept LOL but then I didn't care I would just enjoy it and see how I would do. I am completely clueless about speed work and I probably should have checked what pace I was aiming for before I went out but think I did ok.

It was 2 laps warm up and then we all lined up for the whistle, I was doing 600 x 4 with a full recovery then walked back to starting point between each one my first one was my slowest I was not sure where I had to stop LOL but once I knew what I was doing I was able to just focus on running and it felt really good but hard work as well, ran 2 laps as cool down. Looking at the stats from my tomtom watch my 600m where:
    1st was 3minutes even
    2nd was 2min 34
    3rd was 2mins 35
    4th was 2mins 27

I am pretty happy with that I checked my pace and I am within pace based on my HM PB
    We finished up with 40 minutes yoga which was excellent I will be back next week for more

That sounds great - i’d Love to be able to join a club.

That sounds great - i’d Love to be able to join a club.

They are great is there any near you, how the knee doing

They are great is there any near you, how the knee doing

Seemed fine until I ran tonight. Need physio alright. Not sure if i’ll Get into her before Xmas but i’ll get my last 15 miles done alright by doing short runs. Nothing serious I reckon.

Plenty clubs near me but very hard to commit to a consistent night or time with husband traveling with work so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Great stuff in getting involved with a club.....100% the best thing I did after DCM16.

It is daunting to begin with but you quickly realise that there are some brilliant folks involved with clubs who are more than willing to offer advice and support to newcomers. A few weeks of doing the session and you will be flying through them it is different and take some time to get used to and know your pacing.

If I can finish a session with no great variance in splits and the last few quicker then I always feel I have paced it properly. It just takes a few weeks to get those paces correct.

Looking forward to hearing the progress!

Seemed fine until I ran tonight. Need physio alright. Not sure if i’ll Get into her before Xmas but i’ll get my last 15 miles done alright by doing short runs. Nothing serious I reckon.

Plenty clubs near me but very hard to commit to a consistent night or time with husband traveling with work so much.

Hopefully the few days rest over the Christmas will help I gave my knee a full week I had initially thought it was my IT band but I actually think it was tight tendons in my foot pulling the whole way up it's much better now and no issues on any of my runs so far. I'm the same no chance of physio till after Christmas. That's a pity about the club they might run every evening and you could go when you get a chance. I know mine has sessions every evening and Saturday morning and it's so afforadble 3 euro per week and 5 euro for a family

Great stuff in getting involved with a club.....100% the best thing I did after DCM16.

It is daunting to begin with but you quickly realise that there are some brilliant folks involved with clubs who are more than willing to offer advice and support to newcomers. A few weeks of doing the session and you will be flying through them it is different and take some time to get used to and know your pacing.

If I can finish a session with no great variance in splits and the last few quicker then I always feel I have paced it properly. It just takes a few weeks to get those paces correct.

Looking forward to hearing the progress!

Thanks scotindublin I really enjoyed it and everyone was very friendly and chatty I'm looking forward to seeing how I do and how it will help me improve in the shorter and longer distances.

Hopefully the few days rest over the Christmas will help I gave my knee a full week I had initially thought it was my IT band but I actually think it was tight tendons in my foot pulling the whole way up it's much better now and no issues on any of my runs so far. I'm the same no chance of physio till after Christmas. That's a pity about the club they might run every evening and you could go when you get a chance. I know mine has sessions every evening and Saturday morning and it's so afforadble 3 euro per week and 5 euro for a family

Funny you say that about the foot as only twinges this evening were actually in my foot and I was thinking I must get to physio to check. She can’t fit me in before Xmas but maybe on the 28th. No bother this eve though with the knee. Maybe it’s when I run a bit further.

Interesting about the club. I must look into it more and see if it’s ok to miss sessions or mix nights etc.

• Advertisement

Happy New year to all!!

I ended 2017 getting back to a sport I lived and breathed for many years Horse riding and while once I was good at it! OMG I sucked :D in my defence my sister horse was huge close to 17 hands ( I am 4ft 10) my saddle was too big and my stirrups too long! trotting was eh fun! my abductors, glutes, hamstrings and calfs are still sore today :D But I am so proud that I still have my balance as twice I had to grip and correct my seat when he spooked at whatever the mare in front spooked at and second time the same mare kicked him when she decided he was annoying her, he then decided to spin and give a buck while he considered heading home whether I liked it or not! Heat in my throat moment I also wondered how the hell did I use to do this all day!

I managed to get out for a few runs over Christmas, I would have prefered to get out more or longer but it was a case of getting out and back before guest arrived or we had to head out somewhere, my running buddy ( hubby) is also injured and I hope after physio he will know when he can get out again.

I spent yesterday reading race reports for a few adventure races I would like to do this year and deciding what other races we will do! it going to be an exciting year I think!

Frist race will be a 5k at the end of January, I have not done one in so long and not even sure what my time would be so looking forward to that.

Next aim is some IMRA runs a few ones close to me from the end of January

Loads of cycling and looking forward to hitting a few first in distances

For now though, back to business with tonight's club run Looking forward to it

Happy New year to all!!

I ended 2017 getting back to a sport I lived and breathed for many years Horse riding and while once I was good at it! OMG I sucked :D in my defence my sister horse was huge close to 17 hands ( I am 4ft 10) my saddle was too big and my stirrups too long! trotting was eh fun! my abductors, glutes, hamstrings and calfs are still sore today :D But I am so proud that I still have my balance as twice I had to grip and correct my seat when he spooked at whatever the mare in front spooked at and second time the same mare kicked him when she decided he was annoying her, he then decided to spin and give a buck while he considered heading home whether I liked it or not! Heat in my throat moment I also wondered how the hell did I use to do this all day!

I managed to get out for a few runs over Christmas, I would have prefered to get out more or longer but it was a case of getting out and back before guest arrived or we had to head out somewhere, my running buddy ( hubby) is also injured and I hope after physio he will know when he can get out again.

I spent yesterday reading race reports for a few adventure races I would like to do this year and deciding what other races we will do! it going to be an exciting year I think!

Frist race will be a 5k at the end of January, I have not done one in so long and not even sure what my time would be so looking forward to that.

Next aim is some IMRA runs a few ones close to me from the end of January

Loads of cycling and looking forward to hitting a few first in distances

For now though, back to business with tonight's club run Looking forward to it

Great post Baby. Sounds like you have a fun year ahead.

Thanks Kellygirl :)

Tuesday 2/1/18
    planned 8km easy with club
    actual 10.6 km @ 7.11 min/km

I had planned on running with the club at 7 pm but we had an orange weather warning alert it was raining hard and the wind was picking up. my friend who has not run in about 5 weeks wanted to get out So I said I go with her. the first 5 km was very easy and included 2 walk breaks. finished in 41minutes, My friend headed on home, so with a quick stop off & change of top as I was soaking and cold I headed out to run the route again but in reverse. The wind was very strong with nice driving rain to sting your face. still, I enjoyed it and first 10km of 2018

Wednesday 3/1/18
    planned 5km speed session
    actual 6km @ average 5.56 min/km ( WU intervals x5 with 2-minute recovery between each one, CD)

Club Speed session I thought was not back until Wednesday 10th, So I decided I would still get out and do one anyway. I really enjoyed my self on this run The weather was a lot better as well.

Friday 5/1/18
    planned 8km easy
    actual 8km @ 6.24

Nice easy run felt good to be out

Saturday 6/1/18
    Cycle planned 50km
    actual 46.7 km @ avg 21.2 km
    Got out with hubby for a cycle as he cannot run until next week, it was hard work, we would have to pick the worst afternoon for it, driving rain for most of the spin out to Castlecomer and a nice headwind that stayed with us out and on the way back as well. I still enjoyed it and we would have kept going to reach 50KM only frozen feet/toes ( the pain) stopped us! we headed straight for home. It took us ages to warm up!

Sunday was a rest day

I also have my first 5km race at the end of the month, I have not run one I think since last year so I am looking forward to seeing what I can do and see if I can get a new PB, 27.45 is the time to beat!

A great first week of the year N. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

How old is your 5k pb? I don't think you will have any trouble beating it.

A great first week of the year N. Well done.

Thanks Kellygirl :D
    ariana` wrote: »
    How old is your 5k pb? I don't think you will have any trouble beating it.

That one was a training run early in DCM training so I can not really use it can I! So a proper 5k PB was Fitforlife 5km back in March last year chip time 29:08
    I should have no problem smashing that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thanks Kellygirl :D

That one was a training run early in DCM training so I can not really use it can I! So a proper 5k PB was Fitforlife 5km back in March last year chip time 29:08
    I should have no problem smashing that!

Oh absolutely ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I think that goes well beyond a soft PB!!! Softer than marshmallow soft! :pac:

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I think that goes well beyond a soft PB!!! Softer than marshmallow soft! :pac:

LOL Love it!! hmmm love marshmallows as well :)

Advertisement