Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the mind believes the Body achieves!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Super week N. What's the plan for FD - will you race it or making it part of a longer run?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Great weeks running ! Good luck with FD - going myself and still debating what to do !

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

A great week for you N. Good luck with FD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

How your achilles these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Enjoy FD, N.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

ariana` wrote: »
    Super week N. What's the plan for FD - will you race it or making it part of a longer run?

I think I will see how it goes, it will be a harder effort and this is a step back week so it will be my long run :)
    Bluesquare wrote: »
    Great weeks running ! Good luck with FD - going myself and still debating what to do !

Same to you :) any closer to deciding?
    gypsylee wrote: »
    A great week for you N. Good luck with FD.

Thank you Gypsylee and good luck to you I hope I am remembering right that you are going as well is there a meet up before hand
    How your achilles these days?

They are good the odd niggle here and there but if I am in any doubt I take an extra day but normally I am overthinking it LOL I had some, I wont say pain more discomfort on the outside of my achilles it came on after I rolled my ankle a few weeks back. which I was afraid it was coming back again but it was just an from over compensating and my Peroneal tendon was niggling a good work over from the physio and I have been grand ever since.

compared to how I was this time last year I am 100% better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Good luck tomorrow N. I'm volunteering tomorrow, so hopefully I'll spot you.

Good luck tomorrow N. I'm volunteering tomorrow, so hopefully I'll spot you.

I will keep my eye out! I was only reading your course guide today to remind me what was in store :D

Week 19 - 25 August

This week was a step back week in the lead up to the Frank Duffy 10 mile

Tuesday :Fast finish 5 mins (Z1, 30 mins Z2, 12 mins Z3)
    7.3KM @6.23/km AVG HR 152
    feeling a little tired so decided to take it a little easier this week, I enjoyed this run when I finished I could feel Sundays long run in my legs
    S&C core work

Wednesday
    I was meant to run but was tired, and had a busy day so left it and decided to go tomorrow instead. it meant missing the little race-specific run on Friday but that was not a huge deal if I missed it

Thursday planned building run 35 mins ( 5 mins Z1, 25mins Z2, 4 mins Z1)
    5km @7.15/km AVG HR 130
    I just ended up sticking to Z1 for this run I was not feeling it and saw no point in pushing things to make HR zones.

Frank Duffy 10 mile
    Chip time 1.42.43 @10.14/min mile avg HR 153
    splits : M1: 10.32, M2: 9.45, M3: 10.38, M4: 10.30, M5: 10.32, M6: 10.50, M7: 10.17, M8: 10.03, M9 : 9.50, M10: 9.26

I decided on Friday to take a leaf out of my husband's book run for distance and not time. So the plan was to just enjoy this run and go by effort my mantra became: conservative start for a strong finish. I knew it was going to be hot and I knew how horrible it made me feel at the Viking half I wanted to avoid that as much as possible. I had no time in my head that I had to get. I guessed I might be able to run 1hr 44 to 45 minutes but if I was slower so be it

I did my homework lol and read back over DCM17 novices thread and the great course guide and tips wubble wubble had shared. really helped me the first time and again for yesterday

Just to remind my self, I made sure I ate and drank well on Friday and got in some Zero tabs. we got up early had breakfast and I brought another bottle of water with a zero tab in it with added caffeine. and we walked to the start. We had arrived a little later than planned so I was nervously standing in a queue for the toilets eek just made it over in to the 90 min + wave start with a few minutes to spare before we started.

One we were off, it was very congested at the start but I just stayed where I was. I never noticed as I was in the middle of the pack and being smaller could not see that cars had parked on both sides of the road causing a bit of a bottleneck. It did not bother me at all, I was glad in a way as it stopped everyone going too fast and instead of trying to weave my way past people I stayed where I was until a gap opened up. when it started to thin out I got in to a nice rhythm and caught up with some of the runners from the local running club to say hello actually the first 3 miles were really enjoyable as I met loads of friends and chatted as I passed and I was looking forward to seeing my hubby and kids along the course, I was also keeping an eye out for Skyblue and wubble wubble but I never saw either of you. I met another friend just before the first water stop and I know I can stick with her pace but after a few minutes she pushed on and I let her go I could still see her in the distance I thought maybe I might see her again.

I drank plenty of water at the water stops they had cups so stopped and walked through them drinking two cups and pouring a little over my head and neck to cool me down, worked great as the water was nice and cold

I kept reminding my self to stay steady and was happy enough I was feeling comfortable moving nicely but not in working too hard at 6 miles I was starting to pass people I actually checked my pace thinking I had speeded up but nope I had not got faster still holding steady with my pace.
    I thought this is a bit early but the heat was obviously taking its toll

We had to run back through the start before doing a loop bringing us to the finish line which was around 7 miles I saw the family again here & my 3 year old was particularly cute great having them there gave me a great boost.

I decided to just push on a little faster thinking I would try to run each mile a little faster aiming for Z3 to Z4 for the last mile.I did wonder could I manage that with the drags and running back up the hill to the finish. I was chuffed I could I was feeling good and legs felt great. I was able to push a little harder and was passing people I think I had an added little boost when I caught up to my friend from earlier and passed two other club members who are normally faster than me.

I finished with a huge crowd running through the finish line I could have ran all out but actually couldn't with so many people LOL I did not mind though.
    I drank loads of water when I finished .I thought the cups where brilliant and I like the cup and t-shirt we got they will get used :)

I am delighted with how well it went I needed that and having it in the legs to push on but I still felt it was not full out effort I could have run on longer and could have run that little bit faster. I was holding myself back because of how hot it was. but I did better than I expected and I was not to much slower compared to the last time I ran the same race my time was 1hr 39 minutes in 2017 So I hope I am right thinking I could have at least ran the same or faster if the weather was cooler.

Dublin Half next I never ran the course in the park before but looking forward to it now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Lovely reading such a positive report Niamh. Very well done again.

• Advertisement

Great stuff N. Delighted you had a much happier race experience this time. Sorry I missed you.

What a great race report. Absolutely delighted that you had such a great race N. A great confidence boost for you. Huge well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

A great read there, well done on the race! Very encouraging that you were so comfortable in it and yet still ended up not far off your 2017 time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

great running N, well done. Onward to the half. Hopefully see you there. I missed loads of people on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done N, that was very sensible pacing, how lovely to be able finish so strong, now that's a great feeling! It's just brilliant to see things turning around for you and to see your confidence return.

Hi N,

I'm going to post about the HM here, rather than logjack TBO :D kudos to Huzzah for dusting off my notes from the old Novices thread :pac:

My report from the 2016 race is here (#4018) 2017 was of course the ill fated Newbridge House event. I didn't enter last year or this year.

As for the course.....

The first six and a half miles are exactly the same as the FD10. The courses diverge at the small roundabout near Castleknock Gate. Here, you will be running on the paths up to Castleknock Gate and back down again. I'm not a fan of that bit, as from memory it's still fairly jammed at that point. It will take you through the 7 mile marker.

Right hander onto Ordnance Survey Road, and then head up through Farmleigh. This is mostly a slow uphill drag, probably into the wind as well. Just before you leave the Farmleigh grounds, you pass through 8 miles, and then it's a superfast downhill on Tower Road (Mile 8 of DCM). Slight uphill coming back into Phoenix Park, with a dip at the 9 mile marker, before you turn back onto Ordnance Survey Road, now eastbound. This is slightly uphill overall, but fairly flat. On returning to the Castleknock Roundabout, you turn right onto Chesterfield Avenue, where you will complete 10 miles at roughly the point you started from. It's the same course as the FD10 from there to the finish. Hope some of the above is useful :D

Hi N,

I'm going to post about the HM here, rather than logjack TBO :D kudos to Huzzah for dusting off my notes from the old Novices thread :pac:

My report from the 2016 race is here (#4018) 2017 was of course the ill fated Newbridge House event. I didn't enter last year or this year.

As for the course.....

The first six and a half miles are exactly the same as the FD10. The courses diverge at the small roundabout near Castleknock Gate. Here, you will be running on the paths up to Castleknock Gate and back down again. I'm not a fan of that bit, as from memory it's still fairly jammed at that point. It will take you through the 7 mile marker.

Right hander onto Ordnance Survey Road, and then head up through Farmleigh. This is mostly a slow uphill drag, probably into the wind as well. Just before you leave the Farmleigh grounds, you pass through 8 miles, and then it's a superfast downhill on Tower Road (Mile 8 of DCM). Slight uphill coming back into Phoenix Park, with a dip at the 9 mile marker, before you turn back onto Ordnance Survey Road, now eastbound. This is slightly uphill overall, but fairly flat. On returning to the Castleknock Roundabout, you turn right onto Chesterfield Avenue, where you will complete 10 miles at roughly the point you started from. It's the same course as the FD10 from there to the finish. Hope some of the above is useful :D

Thank you so much J, that helps so much I have a good idea what to expect now
    again thank you :)

Younganne wrote: »
    great running N, well done. Onward to the half. Hopefully see you there. I missed loads of people on Saturday.

We must arrange a boards meet up before it starts to all say hello :) I missed a few people as well on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I couldn't believe how many I missed and I was standing at the side of the road! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Well done N! Sounds like you had an enjoyable race :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Nicely done there, particularly picking it up last few miles. :)

We should get WW to do course descriptions as Gaeilge too. That way, we can be references when he applies for a job covering athletics on TG4. ;)

Congrats on a well-run race. Think you can draw a line under the Viking half now. As eyrie says, very encouraging that you weren't too far off your 2017 time.
    Hi N,

As for the course.....

Yoink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done on FD - nice to read a positive report after all the misery it seemed to inflict !!

Thanks everyone :D

I feel at last the training is paying off and I am back or nearly back to where I was pre-injury I still wonder where I would be if I had not missed so much time but it is what it is :) sure I will get there in the end

I keep coming on to update this, start catching up on other post and logs then never update!

All I can say is OMG marathon week :eek: I am currently swapping between I got this to OMG what was I thinking :D

all the normal taper madness going on for sure eeek!

I will try an update soon off to catch up some more

Wishing you all the best on Sunday N. You truly deserve to have a great race and I really hope all goes well for you on the day. Enjoy every step. :)

gypsylee wrote: »
    Wishing you all the best on Sunday N. You truly deserve to have a great race and I really hope all goes well for you on the day. Enjoy every step. :)

Thanks so much, I really hope I do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Best of luck for Sunday N. Looking forward to catching up with you over a beer afterwards. Is the quare fella making the trip?

Have a ball on Sunday, N. Run well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

May the running Gods be with you!

Advertisement