Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the mind believes the Body achieves!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

ariana` wrote: »
    It's brilliant to see you at this stage now, 2 weeks out from a Half, very well prepared and full of positivity - not that you weren't ever outwardly positive! You've amazing perseverance, in light of everything you never gave up and didn't even give out a whole lot either ;)

It is great feeling :) actually feel I may even get a PB at some point over the summer :D

I actully forgot to update weight loss !! I am still on target another 2 pound off 6 in total so all going well I will have the 7 pounds lost that I wanted and down in to the next stone bracket

FX for WI on Thursday although I am keeping in mind it was a big weekend with some sorness so might have this happen , So I wont get disheartened as it will show next week and time to retake measurements as if I am gaining muscle but losing fat it will show in inches lost :)

https://www.slimmingworldsurvival.com/blog/exercising-and-not-losing-weight-here-is-why

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Enjoy the taper :)

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Enjoy the taper :)

Thanks Huzzah :) all good for now anyway and thank you again for sharing that podcast my mind has been blown its something we all should learn about and get the most out of training by paying attention to our physiology :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice work so far!

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice work so far!

Thanks Murph :D

1 more week to go !!

Monday
    active recovery into the pool it was lovely legs felt much better

Tuesday
    Tempo run
    5 mins Z1, 5 Mins Z2, 24 mins Z3, 5mins Z2, 5 mins Z1
    4.36 miles pace avg 6.27/km
    enjoyed this run tempo pace feels very comfortable now
    S&C: basic body weight

Wednesday
    35 mins Z1
    3.12 miles avg pace 7.02/km
    I nearly had my cat for company on this one I had to bring him home before starting my run. otherwise straight forward run

Thursday rest

Friday
    Mixed intervals ( OOPS noticed I called it long intervals last week)
    5mins Z1, 5 mins Z2, 1 min Z5, 2mins Z1, 3 mins Z4,2mins Z1, 5 mins Z3, 2 mins Z1, 3 mins Z4, 2 mins Z2, 1 min Z5, 5 mins Z1

This is becoming a favourite run, it's hard but fun all at the same time, I was feeling good and strong which is always nice. I was off pace for the first 1 minute Z5 as I turned a corner and a group of people were in front of me. by the time I could get back to pace the minute was up. I was chuffed when I finished
    S&C basic hip strength and prevention

Saturday cross training
    44 km 2hrs 36 mins
    Cycle with hubby and a friend she signed up with the coach I am using so it will be nice to get in some training run/cycles together
    we were meant to be with another group but they took off and did not wait for us to catch up I think they were more interested in racing each other. we heard afterwards that one of the lads reached to take a drink coming around a roundabout and ended up wrapped around a tree :eek: poor lad broke his shoulder and smashed his bike up

Sunday: long run
    plan 10 miles fast finish

So hubby was helping out at the IMRA mount lenister race and I decided to give the short course a go sure it will be grand LOL the plan was to do 8 k on the road my old tomtom watch came in handy for using it to navigate. I really really enjoyed this run I felt much better compared to last week long run and it was a beautiful spot lovely quiet country roads with very few cars.
    heading back to the start I enjoyed a few chats before we started I positioned my self at the back of the group out of the way as I was not planning on racing I was just taking it handy and sticking to my HR zones I knew by doing the short course it did not matter how slow I was :D it was a tough 4k uphill but I loved it . even stopped to take a few pictures of the horses and the mountain in the background while making a mental note of where to run on my way back down as it was steep and very technical. reached the marshal and stopped again for a chat :D before turning around for the best fun of the day running fast downhill I decided to let go and bounce my way down the really tricky bits absolutely loved it I was beaming when I reached the finish it took me 55 minutes. off out on the road for a cool down where my watch died just short of 10 miles.

but 10 miles down and now on to taper week :D:eek: cannot believe it is here all ready hopefully the nerves do not get too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Nice long run N! What half marathon is it? sorry if you mentioned already

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I meant to ask how were the quads after the downhill? I didn’t realize it was an organized thing. That was handy.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Nice long run N! What half marathon is it? sorry if you mentioned already

It is the Waterford Viking Half :) been looking forward to this one for a year I was more upset missing this one last year than I was missing the marathon in the end
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    I meant to ask how were the quads after the downhill? I didn’t realize it was an organized thing. That was handy.

They are not to bad a bit sore all right as well as the front of my shins but it is easing off already. I have a nice easy run this evenning and a sports massage on Wednesday

• Advertisement

Race week

Monday rest

Tuesday
    35 mins Z1, Z2, Z1
    My HR seemed lower and I found myself tipping into tempo pace to keep my HR up in Z2 so I thought HR strap slipped and was not reading correctly so rather than try and fix it at the side of the road I just took it off and switched back to the one in the watch. nope, still the same? so I stuck with pace instead. otherwise and nice run I felt good

Wednesday
    Planned a mini session of sorts for 20 minutes
    S&C
    I ended up doing neither, went to physio for a rub down and all good with the legs he said calfs are in great shape

Thursday - Friday
    rest, eat and hydrate box ticked

Mini weight loss goal also achieved - 4lbs making it 8lbs overall delighted with myself

Saturday the 22nd The Waterford Viking Half marathon
    time: 2hrs 23 minutes 32 seconds

I started, I suffered, I finished ...badly The End ......
    If you do not want to read the report that is all you really need to know!

Not sure I even want to write this it ain't a good report and I am pretty crap at writing them anyway but here goes

I was so looking forward to this race since last year actually when I sat and watched the finishers come in on a beautiful sunny but hot day. Here I was a year later back running and injury free ( FX) So maybe my expectations were too high heading into it !!
    boring bit
    We headed down on Friday night and picked up our numbers and a few friends numbers who were also running. checked in to our accommodation and cooked dinner and I got our overnight oats ready for the morning.
    I was feeling a little nervous and had all my running gear ready to go in the morning.

Woke early, had something to eat and sipped on some water as we headed to the start area it was nice a cool so far which I was delighted with as the forecast had promised much warmer weather maybe we escape the worst of the heat. ( first mistake of the day made before I left brought the suncream but forgot to apply the dam thing) lovely shade of red on my shoulders and calfs and even my face although I was wearing a hat.

met friends, went toilet all the usual pre-race stuff headed to the bag drop got my few bits together before handing it in (second mistake made, left the anti-chafing cream behind dam it) chafed loads of course dam heart rate strap!
    we headed to the start and before too long we were off, my tummy was turning I was so nervous and hoped I feel good from the get go,

First 3 miles
    starting at Waterford crystal we do a little loop before coming back past it and then head by the Towers hotel out along the keys before heading up over the bridge. it was very congested so it was slow moving but I was happy enough to sit in where I was hoping to save the legs for later ( HA!)
    the first mile passed very quickly and we were now heading up along the dock road ( I think) with the river Suir on our left, Lost hubby here watched him disappear into the distance but I did not mind made a mental note to slag him over being a terrible pedestrian as he be the first to give out when driving if he saw someone doing what he was doing LOL
    The hard work begins with a nice climb towards the Toll bridge. I checked my pace and all was good but I felt I was working much too hard and it was so hot already and not even 2 miles in yet. not a good sign at all. looking around me everyone was quite no banter at all. I could feel the sweat running down my face already. I remember really enjoying this part of the race 2 years ago when I ran the quarter ( 10k and a bit ) ( which was my longest run before starting training for DCM that year) I did look up an admire the bridge as we ran under it and enjoy the lovely breeze as we ran along it. I was not feeling good though very warm and dying for water to drink and pour on my head I had my tailwind and sipped on that. next up was the entrance to the greenway. The last time we had a makeshift platform that went over the bank down into the greenway. which was narrow and hard to cross but this year was much better and they made a proper entrance.

Now, this part of the course I did not enjoy before and could hear a few around me expressing similar thoughts LOL the heat seemed worse, at last, the path opened up as we headed toward the flyover wich would have the turn off for the finish for the quarter and then I would be in the unknown.
    Then it came in to view and yep that flyover was as steep as I remembered I really had to talk my self out of turning off at this point and taking the turn for the finish. if I felt this bad now I could not see it getting any better. I had grabbed a water bottle drank some and poured the rest over my head and neck then popped it in a bin. regretted that immediately should have grabbed a second one my tailwind was hot and I needed something cold I felt a little sick here as well.

3 miles to 6
    I managed to run up and over the flyover and turned right on to the greenway again I slowed down here the road just sucked the life out of your legs it was an upward drag the whole way I think. looking at the map of the greenway I thought it went out by the coast which I remember looking forward to as we have a breeze again. hopes dashed I could see the water in the distance but that was it, I have little memory of this section there was still lots around me but we headed back out on to the road again. the sun came out though so tried to find any shade I could. 6 miles and second water stop grabbed two bottles stuck my second tailwind bottle down the bra I was using the small 250ml bottles and stayed still no problems LOL. checked pace again and still ok 10k in 1hr 2 minutes I kinda thought if I could repeat that and hopefully find it from somewhere to push on in the last 3 miles that would be brilliant.

6 to 10 miles
    Slowing right down now and with the few hills I walked some of them I made sure I kept sipping water and tailwind and started to have a chat with my self I can do it !! I was nearly at 10 miles and walking up a hill when I considered taking out my phone to chat with the girls ( Ariana, Browneyes, Kellygirl) I was really struggling and just wanted it all over legs felt awful and I considered my self very unfit what on earth was I thinking I mentally added up how much I had left and what time I would finish in and heart sank this was going to be my slowest Half yet.

10 to 13.1 miles
    Just get this finished with was all I was thinking we were back on the greenway I wondered when the Marathon was turning off surely it had to be soon. I remember a huge hill everyone walking up it and being passed by one or two who kept running up it. I let the legs go at the top and ran fast down it. Then a long stretch before we ran back through a big house back on to the greenway sooo hot !!! Here I could see runners coming towards me and could see our turn around point and the Marathon runners had to keep running on till they reached their turn around point. made a mental note to never wear my shorts again I felt they were digging in and suashing my sides or else it was my running belt but that has always been fine in training.

This was hard, drank the rest of my tailwind and tried to pick it up maybe I could finish strong that would be a bonus anyway. I could see the 11-mile marker in the distance but legs said walk I walked and this was how I finished ran a bit walked a bit, at last, I could see the flyover that excitement wore off quickly dam it! we have to go up it again grabbed some water and tried my best to push on and run up it nope. here my maths went out the window I had passed the 12-mile marker but kept thinking I had 2 miles left and also I felt sick. at last, I reached the last bit which was all uphill till you reached the roundabout and a nice downhill finish. I tried to keep running but walked a good bit, at last, I was at the roundabout and got a shoutout from a friend she takes pictures snaphappy on facebook.
    I picked up the pace and tried to run fast to the finish which seemed much further away than other years! meaning instead of finishing just after the downhill finishes you have to now start working again nope felt like I was going to get sick so back to slow jog over the finish! stopped the watch and thought Thank F ~~K that is finished.

Hubby was waiting for me I think I hugged him and swore at him when he asked if I enjoyed that curse, curse horrible or something to that effect was all he got out of me.

Next, I text my DCM buddies and I will be forever grateful for your lovely words you all made me feel much better. I was not a happy bunny at all and immediately thought what if DCM in October feels the same I felt my training went well but even aside from the heat I just do not feel I have the endurance at all. regardless of the time, I ran it in all I would love is to feel comfortable and instead of dying a slow death before I was even halfway through I rather feel I was able to push on and finish strong.

On chatting with some other ladies who finished before and behind me they all felt it was a very hard run so I was glad I was not alone in those thoughts

some positives, quite surprised at how good my legs felt when I finished very little stiffness or soreness, I finished !! someone said that this was a race you ran with your mind and I could not agree more. I was able to run it in the first place. it was a very well ran race, great volunteers loads of water stops and some jellies etc being handed out. loads of bands and DJ's on the course to give you a shout out as you passed. they had loads of entertainment at the finish line as well which was great.

Now I am sitting here, thinking about what I will do next.
    My first thoughts I will do another half in a few weeks but had planned to do the Frank Duffy 10 mile so might stick with that and see how it goes. I am not enjoying racing at all any more confidence is knocked I think and I know for 100% I do not want to feel that way for DCM in October or end up finishing way slower than I expected. maybe that is silly but just how I feel so not sure what I will do now.

Right if you made it this far thank you and fair play! I am pressing submit before I chicken out and not post! I have not read over it as if I do I will delete it so apologies for typos or bad grammar. crap maybe I should have added that at the start:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Tough tough day out Niamh and I wish it had been different for you. Try your best to park it and enjoy a few nice easy runs this week.

It’s brilliant your legs feel good today!! Back up to HM distance - no mean feat after all the knock backs you’ve had in the last year (or more). That’s a major positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Sometimes races are just pants for no reason at all and aren’t a reflection on your training or endurance. Quitting never seemed to have crossed your mind despite how bad you felt - that’s endurance in its self !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Sorry to read that it went belly up N. That's a long distance to cover after the wheels have started to come off. You'll bounce back no doubt.

As regards your next race I think I would just find a 5 miler or 10k as soon as possible to prove to yourself that it was just a blip... Some race where you can run past 3 miles at race pace and not feel like you did on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Really sorry you had such a tough run, it wasn't what you deserved. You've had such a long road back from injury but look where you are now! You have a great platform now to build on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Awk. So sorry to read about your race. It sounds like it was horrifically tough. I think you’ve shown amazing patience in your come back from injury. I’m not sure I’d have shown the same tenacity. You should also be really proud of yourself for sticking it out on the day.

There are better days ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Well done for sticking it out. It sounds like quite early on in the race you could have easily called it a day but you didn't - you kept going and you kept moving. That surely counts for a lot.

Thanks so much, guys and girls

It can only get better from here right :D

I am feeling so much better today and really happy with how good the body feel's even though it was a hard day out I have no niggles and no doms :D so no long recovery I can slot back in to training.

feedback from Liam was great and positive. But for me, a change in mindset is needed so heading in to DCM I am going to treat it as my first marathon all over again same for the 10 miler and half marathon no time goals just see how I do :)

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Sorry to read that it went belly up N. That's a long distance to cover after the wheels have started to come off. You'll bounce back no doubt.

As regards your next race I think I would just find a 5 miler or 10k as soon as possible to prove to yourself that it was just a blip... Some race where you can run past 3 miles at race pace and not feel like you did on Saturday.

Thanks S, that is actually a good idea I can probably find a local one I can do as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Sometimes races are just pants for no reason at all and aren’t a reflection on your training or endurance. Quitting never seemed to have crossed your mind despite how bad you felt - that’s endurance in its self !!
    +1 to this. Also the humidity on Saturday was a killer. I find having to do a prolonged effort when it's hot and humid and you're literally burning it never ends well for me! You seemed to love the imra races that you did. Maybe you could do some more of those ;)

• Advertisement

+1 to this. Also the humidity on Saturday was a killer. I find having to do a prolonged effort when it's hot and humid and you're literally burning it never ends well for me! You seemed to love the imra races that you did. Maybe you could do some more of those ;)

The humidty was a killer all right I am so glad I had my tailwind with me it probably saved me.

I do love them and that is my long term goal once the marathon is over the Maurice Mullins is on my list as are others. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Sorry N, that just sounded brutal from start to finish, but at least you had the heart and guts to see it through. Onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Sorry it didn't go as planned but glad to see the positive attitude back. We all have desperate races. I had one in the 2014 half. Head just said no and I really hated every second. Got to my front door and sobbed. Went out the next day and had an easy run and moved on as you can't dwell. Glad to see you're taking the same attitude. Humidity is shocking and can't be underestimated. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

As said on Saturday N, the weather didnt make it easy at all, I had 10 miles in the park and the heat knocked me for six never mind racing a HM!! With the wheels coming off as early as they did, but you still pushing through and finishing is unreal, a lot of people (me included!) would probably have dropped out that early, fair play for hanging on!

I think S hit the nail on the head, get a shorter race into you to prove to yourself that it was just a bad race, nothing more. Thatll get rid of any doubts! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Just reading your report now N. So sorry that the Half did not pan out the way you wanted or deserved.

The way you have come back from injury and got back to where you are now is inspirational. Don't lose heart, park it and focus on DCM.

Thanks for all the support and well wishes feeling so much better and I was listening to this song on my runs and I think it sums it up nicely :
    Try everything https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6rP-YP4c5I

June 24 - 30 June

Mostly rest this week to let the body recover, but I actually felt really good :confused: legs felt fresh

Tuesday
    planned rest
    30 mins ( 5 mins Z1, 20 mins Z2, 5 mins Z1)
    3 miles in 34 minutes
    I was dying to get out and wanted to get out on my bike this week as well so moved Wednesday run forward. I felt really good so kept going after the 30 minutes were up to make it 5km. it was fairly hot though and I had frozen my little bottle of water before heading out and it worked perfect helped keep me cooler :) I wrapped a little KT tape around it so I could hold it in my hand

Wednesday
    cycle 34km 1hr 34 minutes
    It was a beautiful evening I really enjoyed the cycle I ignored the speed on my watch and focused on keeping it really easy using the right gears and spinning out my legs no grinding up hills :D

Friday
    Run 30 mins ( 5 mins Z1, 20 mins Z2, 5 mins Z1 )
    3 miles 33 minutes
    I got out a little earlier for this as we were helping out at the local running clubs 4k race in the evening. but another enjoyable run again kept going to finish at 5k I was really happy with my HR for this run, normally for the last 5 mins at Z1 I have to do a lot of walking to get the HR back down and to stay down which can be frustrating esp with I have only 30 -35 mins to run so I was delighted HR recovered and stayed in the right zone pace was very slow but enjoyable.

Sunday
    Leinster Loop 55Km
    time: 2 hours 24 minutes
    My hubby surprised me with this for my birthday :D I was not sure I wanted to do it at first I kinda feel I lost my mojo for races/ events I feel great during my midweek runs but any race I do I have yet to finish and feel happy with how I felt during it. So I was worried I would feel the same again. :eek:

Surprisingly I did not feel very nervous at all, we arrived very early as hubby was cycling the 100k and they were starting at 9am. I watched them go and got myself a snack and a coffee to wait for a few friends to show up. They really know how to look after you loads of food before during and after this event.

met up with my friends and ended up at the back feeling eager to get going and looking forward to it. it was a slow start very congested and you really had to be careful watching wheels in front of me and behind. people of all abilities out and a great atmosphere. when we could get in to a comfortable pace I was being careful not to feel under pressure early on bonking on the bike is not fun.
    But I felt great legs felt really good I was delighted I felt good on any inclines or hills I normally slow on those but I was passing people and felt really comfortable. I tried chatting to people as I caught up some answered happy to chat, some gave me don't talk to me looks :eek: so I left them alone.

we stopped at the 38k for a break loads and loads of food no wobbly legs when I got off the bike. waited for my friends & enjoyed the chats and a good laugh before we headed back out again.

The cycle back to the finish was just as enjoyable, nearly came off the bike when I missed a turn and the bike slide on me managed to correct it and stop took a breath and kept going. we had some great support in the last 10k with a load of people out in the rain on the last big hill cheering us on they were great one young lad was brilliant. before I knew it we were turning back in to the finish. I was delighted with that I felt good and could have pushed on harder if I wanted to.

Back to normal training this week aiming for the Frank Duffy10 mile. I was hoping I could do a 10k in a few weeks but none work out. so I will just keep going as is :)

vo2 max reading on my watch increased again I do not think the number is exactly right but has to mean something good I hope LOL

Wow it has been a while since I updated oops

To be honest I was not feeling up to logging. I felt really deflated after the half marathon in June, I know common sense told me it was just a bad day for any number of reasons and not a true reflection of my fitness. but I could not shake the feeling I was doing my best and not seeing the results I expected to see.

if I can share a picture I hope this works ''The Plateau of Latent potential'' it's from a book Atomic Habits and I think anyone of us can relate to it. I really can, of course, I only seen this after I had a wee breakthrough this week but I am glad I stuck with it :) that staying consistent and putting the right training in will pay off.

Also a huge shout out to my fellow DCM 17 ladies I would be lost without you such great support thank you so much

The last 3 weeks went a little like this!
    1 -7 July ( running and 3x 20 minutes S&C)
    a good week got in my 4 runs tempo, easy, session which I remember really enjoying and my long run which was in Glendalough along the spinc still love that route but maybe not for running coming back down towards the miner's village was mental with all the stones! my quads felt that for a few days.

8-14 July (2 runs and no S&C)
    This week did not go to plan, legs felt better on Tuesday so headed out for my run rolled my ankle 3k in to my run I stopped it felt ok and finished my run with no problems. the ankle was a little tender on Wednesday so I decided to take a few days off just in case. My mojo really took a nosedive I was not a happy bunny at all. I could have cycled and I never bothered. ankle felt good on Friday and I could have got my session done but not motivated at all. headed out Friday for my long run and was thinking I should feel nice and fresh but nope it was hot and legs felt heavy. I got nice blisters from my runners and my arches hurt when I finished! I am not ashamed to say I said a few swear words after that run LOL
    new runners are needed I wore the soles off mine! picked up a pair in Kildare village but they are taking a while to break in.

15- 21 July (3 runs, 2 cycle's which includes 1 benchmark cycle & 3x 20 minutes S&C)
    This week I was still feeling meh!! I was reading the 80/20 running book and an interesting chapter on using cross-training to help increase your fitness when like me you can not run as much as you like to, because of avoiding a repeat of an injury ( my Achilles) or you are prone to injury. So on chatting with my coach, we decided to make sure any cycling I was doing was in the correct zone as it all should be in Z1 heart rate for cycling. I get out on my bike at least once a week some times more though.
    Mojo was a wee bit better this week and I enjoyed my tempo run and really enjoyed the two cycles my benchmark cycle was good fun even if it was go as hard as I could for 30 minutes but I felt strong finished feeling I could have gone on for longer which compared to a group cycle I went on at Christmas I was doing a similar pace and blew up at 26 minutes :D legs died a death that day. also to note another slog of a long run left me asking my coach when will they ever get any easier :( he gave me great feedback reminded me he was holding me back to keep me injury free building my endurance for DCM and for my longer-term goals!

22- 28 July ( 3 runs, 1 cycle, 2 x 20 min S&C )
    I missed my Friday run I had done band work on Wednesday as part of S&C and lower calfs were tight and tender around outside of my Achilles left leg in particular so chatted to coach and decided to rest that day! all good for my long run which went a little better. I had company with a friend new runners felt so hard to run in! not loving them at all.

So that is up to this week and I will bet back to normal logging I think this week! may as well stick with it for another while :)

I am still tipping away! I meant to update during the week but never got a chance, seeing as I am doing the Frank Duffy 10 miler on Saturday I thought it was time to update :)

29 July to 4 Aug

Tuesday
    Fast finish ( 5 mins Z1, 25 mins Z2, 10 mins Z3)
    6.47km @ 6.17/km avg HR 154
    Tempo pace is really starting to feel very comfortable and as I have not raced much sometimes you wonder if you are making progress so I decided to run the same route I did previously on the same run and great to see progress lower HR and a little faster

Wednesday
    Building ( 5 mins Z1, 25 mins Z2, 5 mins Z1)
    5.51km @6.47/km avg HR 150

Thursday
    cycle 1 hour Z1 22km lovely cycle and I am really enjoying the Z1 pace

Friday
    Hill reps
    ( 5 mins Z1, 5 mins Z2, 6 x 30s Z5/ 1.30m Z1, 5 mins Z1)
    I was a little nervous but looking forward to it at the same time heading in to this. my first time doing hill reps. but I actually really enjoyed it, it was more Z5 effort than pace with a jog back to the start and waited for the rep to start. Happy with the effort
    S&C Basic body weight

Sunday 7 miles
    1 mile Z1, 5.5 miles Z2, 0.5 miles Z1)
    1 hr 20 minutes @ 7.07/km AVH HR 152
    still waiting on these long runs to feel a little easier I had my hubby for company and was happy when I had it done :)
    S&C Advanced hip strength

This week we went camping so had to move things around a little but it was worth it kids had a ball and we got loads of hiking in, just in case anyone is wondering we stayed in Powers to Pot near Clonmel

Week 5 to 11 August

Tuesday : ( building 5 mins Z1, 30 mins Z2, 5 mins Z1)
    the plan was for a fast finish run but I swapped it to my building run as I was running near the campsite and no matter which direction I went it was all hills up to mountains very beautiful though. also as I had planned on doing a bit of a trail run the next day I thought it would more than makeup for it hill work is speed work in disguise?? LOL
    5.2km @ 6.56/km avg HR 145

Wednesday
    8km in a nice slow 1 hour 14 minutes
    My two lads 16 and 13 wanted to come with me on this run/hike so we got up nice and early had them all kitted out we were using view ranger once we got to the top to run down another path to the other hill on the other side but the path was very overgrown so instead of enjoying a nice downhill run we were scrambling down slowly great fun though. We reached the bottom and I checked the time and decided to head back to the campsite. we found a path that led us back to the road and arrived back to a lovely fry up after my 16 year old and I did a little extra to make it 8km / 5 miles

Friday planned: hill reps
    actual nothing !!
    I was shattered, I was not too bothered I missed this run as we had only come home from camping and had spent the last few days hiking with the kids on Thursday we arrived back to the tent just in time for the storm that night. kids all slept like logs thankfully I, on the other hand, lay awake for ages till the thunder went and the rain eased off for a while. I can not complain though I enjoyed it even if I could not sleep!

Saturday
    LSR 10 miles @7.09/km avg HR 146
    I decided to get this done on Saturday freeing up Sunday for a cycle up to Mount Leinster to meet some friends and my hubby but also we get to see the end of the Stoneman ultra along the Barrow. I felt for them my legs were wiped running along the Barrow track it really pulls the legs off you fair play to anyone running any distance on it that day! it was very wet though after the rain so that probably did not help. still enjoyed it and noticing a nice downward trend with my HR

Sunday
    Cycle mostly in Z1, 1 hour 37 minutes 27.40km
    two friends and my hubby were running up around mount Leinster so I decided to cycle up to them, timing it so I could have the kettle on so they could warm up before heading off on the bikes again they are training for Quest 24hr
    I left nice and early HR was a little erratic at the start which I think was nerves as I was on a busy road with lots of rounds about's which always make me very nervous. once passed them I was ok and all back to normal until I reached the hilly part of the cycle I found out afterwards I picked the hardest route up LOL but I was under no pressure and just took my time trying to keep my HR as low as I could. really enjoyed that.

• Advertisement

Week 12 to 18 August

I am really happy with this week I really hope this means things will feel easier esp in regards to my long runs going forward

Tuesday Fast finish
    5 mins Z1, 35 mins Z2, 15 mins Z3
    8.80km @6.16/km avg HR 152

So again I ran the same route I ran on the same workout a few weeks ago and really happy with progress HR is lower and pace a little faster. I was a little fast for the Z3 as I am meant to stick to pace for it rather than HR but felt really good and enjoyed it.

Wednesday Building run
    5 mins Z1, 30mins Z2, 5 mins Z1 ( ran on a little extra :p)
    6.48km @6.50/km avg HR 150
    again seeing some progress lower HR and a little faster pace. happy out :)

Friday Hill reps 6.18km avg HR 145
    5 mins Z1, 5 mins Z2 8 x 1 min Z5/ 2 mins Z1, 5 mins Z1
    I went over to a little woods called Mullaghreelan the love heart shaped trail run LOL I ran half a lap with a friend and she went on while I picked my hill for the repeats, I was a little nervous I knew I can do 30 seconds but could I hang on for another 30 seconds eek !! it actually went great and I really enjoyed it the effort was there for the 1 minute Z5 and I ran 2 laps with my friends to finish off overall pace was very easy but it is a hilly little trail. I am very happy with my HR
    S&C Basic body weight

Saturday cycle all Z1
    43km 2hrs 8 minutes avg HR 125
    I was not sure how the legs would feel after Friday run, but they were ok I used google maps to pick my route it said mostly flat!! yea a big no to that nice rolling hills out and back, stopped in Athy for a quick bite to eat I changed my route a little on the way back as the weather had changed to heavy showers and a nice headwind that I hoped would be at my back on my way home but nope worse on the way back. I enjoyed it anyway although I hope next week for my cycle I hope I have company.

Sunday LSR
    12 miles 1 mile Z1, 10.5 Z2, 0.50 miles Z1
    12.40 miles @7.09/km avg HR 136
    I headed out later than usual for this, then sat in the car waiting on a heavy shower to pass while deciding if I should wear my hydration vest or waist belt! hydration vest won! it was cold so decided to wear a long sleeve top for the start and knew I could stick it in my pack. I had a good breakfast and had a snack before we headed out and drank water with a zero tab in it also had some jellies as I was sticking some in to a ziplock bag for my Hubby and I. I brought some tailwind Rasberry with caffeine made up in 720ml of water but I only brought 500ml which I do not think I really needed took my first sip at 5 miles and it hard to drink! ( i used one of hubby's leftover ziplock bags from the Wicklow way, so it may have has more in it so higher concentrated I think) it made me make that face you make if you eat a lemon LOL but no issues rather than my funny faces every time I took a sip

Hubby picked the route so that meant hilly LOL I was really hoping I would feel better than I normally do on my long runs. Thankfully I did right from the start I felt good the first 3 miles flew by . we got soaked in the rain which was nice I have not ran in the rain all summer not on purpose just happened that way.
    at around 5 miles we were to head in to a forest on trails !! but once we turned in it became clear it was going to be an interesting run through it! the first mile was very overgrown the trees met in the middle so it slow going. I am so glad I was not on my own or I say I would have detoured back on to the road LOL once through the worst of it and trail opened up I enjoyed it and found I was really enjoying it. we figured out we would be a little over the 12-mile mark before we got back to the car but I was feeling really good so I was not worried

I am really happy with my HR on this run compared to my last 12-mile run which was in Carlow town on a much flatter route HR was 156 that day

all in all a great week this week is a step back with the FD 10 miler on Saturday

Advertisement