Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Marathon - 2018

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Think of it as good acclimatisation training for a warm one in Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭purelike

It’s a week earlier this year, so more likely to be warmer than cooler as a result. Usually the first hour or two in the morning are cool enough, it’s the middle of the day then when temperatures climb. I’m hoping for about 12 degrees and overcast :D

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mdlb

mdlb wrote: »
    Same boat here... ended up with shin splints which physio originally diagnosed as a stress fracture.. que a two week layoff waiting on MRI and results ... only cross training and starting to get back doing some very short runs.... at this stage it will be a trot round and try and enjoy it rather than aiming for any time in particular...

6 pain free kilometres this morning for first pain free run in ages!

Slow ramp up now for the next two months and hopefully not suffer too much!!

Seem to have lost surprisingly little fitness which is encouraging but not getting carried away!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

purelike wrote: »
    It’s a week earlier this year, so more likely to be warmer than cooler as a result. Usually the first hour or two in the morning are cool enough, it’s the middle of the day then when temperatures climb. I’m hoping for about 12 degrees and overcast :D

Nice to be running a 1500M PB in the middle of marathon training!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭seanin4711

and knocked out a 21km run yesterday after calf strain .

very easy 6min/kms 10km run in morning
    followed by easy 11km after work.

delighted not 100% but definitley heading the right way.
    had one visit to physio every week since calf strain and it was issue with sciatica (periformous/hammys and calfs).

10km tomorrow followed by 21km charity half marathon in work Sunday.
    Going to be a challenge with 1 mile laps around the periphery of workplace but hope to add a few more laps in (perhaps 15-16 see how the body is.
    Plan is to go 140bpm (+/- 5bpm) all the way around and every three miles grab some drinks food-low intensity long training run.

hope everyones training is going injury free as I understand how frustrating it is when its less than 2 months away.
    panic starts to set in and the training gets condensed.

slan
    Johnny

• Advertisement

purelike wrote: »

Meh. Won't make any difference. If it's warm on the 16th it's likely to be just as warm a week later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭seanin4711

missed out on 4hr last time 4:08.
    how can i hope to get in with the 4hr pacers?
    can i request at registration/thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Hi guys,

Is there a finishers t-shirt for the marathon or do you have to purchase one?

Maybe it's just me but I find the website confusing.

Cheers,

NT

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

I'm pretty sure that I remember ordering one when I paid the registration fee - I think it was an extra €30. You could choose between a finishers t-shirt and an event t-shirt.

I had to contact them about something else a couple of weeks ago and they reponded the next day so I'd recommend using the contact form on the website and asking if you can add one to your registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Hi guys,

Cheers,

NT

The website is confusing.

You've to purchase the finisher's tshirt. There was an option to do so when you signed up but it seems there will be more available for purchase at the expo: "A t-shirt is not automatically included with your race materials, but of course you can purchase an event or finisher t-shirt at the Expo. If you pre-ordered a t-shirt, you will get that at the expo too." https://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/faq/before-the-race/race-materials.html

• Advertisement

Cheers guys, I've dropped them a note via the online contact form.

Hope training is going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Guys, what half marathons/10 milers have ye signed up for? Getting close to crunch time and we are a bit lost as to what to do for a half.

I did a 10 mile race yesterday.

Didn't quite go as planned. Conditions and poor sleep the night before contributed to that.

I don't plan on any other races between now and Berlin though.

What dates are you hoping to build a HM into?

NT

I did a 10 mile race yesterday.

Didn't quite go as planned. Conditions and poor sleep the night before contributed to that.

I don't plan on any other races between now and Berlin though.

What dates are you hoping to build a HM into?

NT

I met a couple of lads doing Berlin who will do Kilcock 10 on the 19th August. That seems to be the only option

Guys, what half marathons/10 milers have ye signed up for? Getting close to crunch time and we are a bit lost as to what to do for a half.

My coach has suggested the new Kilcock 10 miler. The date suits and it's a relatively flat course. I'm not doing a Half at all.

davedanon wrote: »
    My coach has suggested the new Kilcock 10 miler. The date suits and it's a relatively flat course. I'm not doing a Half at all.

That sounds good enough for me. Hopefully Clare will be playing later in the day so will only be a spin in the road for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Huzzah! wrote: »
    The website is confusing.

You've to purchase the finisher's tshirt. There was an option to do so when you signed up but it seems there will be more available for purchase at the expo: "A t-shirt is not automatically included with your race materials, but of course you can purchase an event or finisher t-shirt at the Expo. If you pre-ordered a t-shirt, you will get that at the expo too." https://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/faq/before-the-race/race-materials.html

When I ran it a few years back there was a stall after the finish line (well beyond it in fact, cos I had my alcohol frei beer in hand) where you could also purchase the t-shirt and other memorabilia. So have €50 stowed in your bag at the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I'm doing the Rock n Roll 1/2 on the 12th.
    It's about as far out from Berlin are the race series 1/2 is from DCM

The R&R is a hateful event, though, and on a real pig of a course.

In my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

In my opinion.

Your right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

Hi guys,

Cheers,

NT

You can purchase at the Adidas stall at the expo. Expo is a cattlemart by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

In my opinion.
    I enjoyed it in previous years. I thought the course was a nice mix of city and park and I enjoyed the bands along the way, but the course this year isn't nice (and the new starting point doesn't suit me at all).

Back to Berlin, can anyone whose done it previously give us a flavour of it; the organisation of it, the support, atmosphere etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Phoebas wrote: »
    Back to Berlin, can anyone whose done it previously give us a flavour of it; the organisation of it, the support, atmosphere etc?

If you search this forum, there are threads like this from 2017, 2016... with race reports at the end from the people who ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Phoebas wrote: »
    I'm doing the Rock n Roll 1/2 on the 12th.
    It's about as far out from Berlin are the race series 1/2 is from DCM

But the race series half is too close to the Dublin marathon if your running the half hard.

RNR is a terrible course

I would skip the RNR and look at Kilcock 10 miler

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

But the race series half is too close to the Dublin marathon if your running the half hard.

RNR is a terrible course

I would skip the RNR and look at Kilcock 10 miler

I used the Clonmel half last year. Great course excellent set up. If it's feasible I'd travel to there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

My flight is due in to Berlin at 3pm on the Saturday, I see the expo closes at 7 and there is no option to pick-up the morning of the race.

Has anyone missed their pick up before and was able to pick it up the morning of the race?

The fact the expo is at Templehof airport, theres no public transport there from Schoenfeld, just thinking in case my flight is delayed.

The Expo's at the airport???

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It's an old disused airport not the airport you fly into.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Yes sorry Templehof is a closed airport as the user above says.

But its a good distance out of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

My flight is due in to Berlin at 3pm on the Saturday, I see the expo closes at 7 and there is no option to pick-up the morning of the race.

Has anyone missed their pick up before and was able to pick it up the morning of the race?

The fact the expo is at Templehof airport, theres no public transport there from Schoenfeld, just thinking in case my flight is delayed.

If you search the Berlin Underground journey planner you will see that you can get from Schonfeld Airport to Platz der Luftbrucke (this is the underground station right beside the expo) in around 40 mins......max 50 with a train change or two.

Advertisement