Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Marathon - 2018

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Dub13 wrote: »
    He is getting the fast train, so not to much of an issue. I have used the trains in Germany many times a day they are brilliant.

Fastest train takes 4 hours. Still a lot of effort to save not very much money, but I suppose relaxing on a train beats the hell out of driving a car. I would be far too anxious to put myself down so far away from my destination. I get antsy if the hotel is more than reasonable walking distance from the start line.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Yeah it would not be my choice but each to there own etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

18 weeks to go as of yesterday! Training proper started today for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭seanin4711

aerlingus
    145euro

dublin berlin

thurs eve into berlin@8pm

flying out @10pm sunday.

get some kip before return leg!

now for some air bnb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

cityrep wrote: »
    Village Runner, you are a complete genius.

I wouldn't be able to stay the night in Manchester but I have been able to get myself out of Dublin at 06:30 and get a seat on the 12 flight to Berlin. I doff my cap to you and all those other things and I owe you a beer. You've saved me about a 100 nicker because I've done the same on the way back.
    Run a pb and I will be happy
    Your man I was to go with hummed and hawed. I ended up going on the 6.30 flight which ain't a great idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

While discussing the prospect of the other half coming to Berlin, the prices for the flights out have shot up.

Anyone ever use Eurowings to fly via Cologne and onto Berlin?

I was going to use the Dublin rock in roll as a last blast before Berlin, with the new course not so sure now. What other races are you lot going to do over the summer..?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I was going to use the Dublin rock in roll as a last blast before Berlin, with the new course not so sure now. What other races are you lot going to do over the summer..?

I'm doing the tullamore half, its a pretty fair and quick course, last saturday in august

Nuttzz wrote:
    I'm doing the tullamore half, its a pretty fair and quick course, last saturday in august

I was looking into that, think it's a bit close myself well for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

I was looking into that, think it's a bit close myself well for me anyway.

I've pencilled it in, its close alright but probably just about works for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

Going to do the Rock and Roll run myself, even with all the negative comments on the new route.
    For me, Tullamore is a little too close to the marathon (3 weeks, compared to 5 for RnR).
    Tullamore is a nice, fair course.
    I did it last year, and it was excellent…

I will probably end up just doing the Rock In Roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mdlb

Anyone know if 2018 Berlin entry can be deferred to 2019... looks like i may have developed a stress fracture somehow (diagnosis pending!) :(
    From what i can see online it cant be deferred but just want to be sure either way

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

In 2015 I had to defer. At that time they gave me a code for the following year that meant I didn't have to re-enter the lottery, it also gave me €30 off the entry price the following year. I didn't get refunded the entry fee but I did get refunded for extra's like T-shirt or jacket or whatever.

So it is possible but you will have to pay an entry fee again.

How is everyones training going? All on track for the big day. Just over 11 weeks away now.

Training in this heat is tough enough but way better than the wind and rain of the spring.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

My training is not going at all at the moment. I'm probably looking at getting enough training done to get through it but goals will need to be very conservative :(

Sorry to hear that, hope you get back on track soon.

Is it injury related or outside influence (family, work etc).

My training is going relatively ok, a few hiccups but staying mostly on track.

My 'A' goal is still on track.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

mdlb wrote: »
    Anyone know if 2018 Berlin entry can be deferred to 2019... looks like i may have developed a stress fracture somehow (diagnosis pending!) :(
    From what i can see online it cant be deferred but just want to be sure either way

Can they be transferred 😂.

1. dehydrated
    2. first session in a week
    3. speed session

= calf strain

RICE

hoping to be back this week after a 2.5 week lay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

seanin4711 wrote: »
    1. dehydrated
    2. first session in a week
    3. speed session

= calf strain

RICE

+1 on that. strained my calf after a tough week training, a bit dehydrated, 16mile into a long run yesterday and had to hobble home.
    Hopefully a couple of days should do it though.
    Keep the faith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

My own training is not going well and I've missed a few weeks now due to injury. Contacted Berlin marathon through the "contact us" form about refund or deferral... response.
    Cancellation of registration / Refund of the registration fees
    According to our general Terms and Conditions of participation, you are not entitled to a refund of the
    registration fee. Please see § 3 (5) regarding the terms for the registration fee.
    However, we can offer you the following goodwill agreement:
    You will receive a 30-Euro discount off the registration fee for the BMW BERLIN MARTHON 2019.
    The discount includes a guaranteed race entry and can only be used toward your own (personal)
    registration. It can only be applied for participation in the BMW BERLIN MARATHON in 2019. The
    deadline for registration is April 01, 2019.
    To further process your cancellation, please fill in the attached PDF and send it back to our office by
    September 16, 2018 at the latest.
    Any additional items you have ordered (e.g. t-shirt, chip rental) will be refunded to your indicated

account. Please note that a purchased chip will not be refunded. If you registered via the RTL-
    Spendenmarathon, your donation will not be refunded either.

In January 2019, we will send you an email containing additional detailed information about the
    registration process.
    You do NOT need to take part in the drawing for 2019!
    This regulation is not valid:
    If you received any kind of a special condition for your registration.
    If you registered with a group (tour operator, charity partner, club or company) please
    contact your contact person for details.

So it seems you get a guaranteed entry for next year, with a 30 euro refund. Thats not so bad! And I have until Sep 16 to send the form back to them (standard personal details).

Muppet Man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Muppet Man wrote: »
    My own training is not going well and I've missed a few weeks now due to injury. Contacted Berlin marathon through the "contact us" form about refund or deferral... response.

So it seems you get a guaranteed entry for next year, with a 30 euro refund. Thats not so bad! And I have until Sep 16 to send the form back to them (standard personal details).

Muppet Man

Thank you very much for sharing this. Unfortunately, it's a route I'm now exploring myself.

Edit: Thursday to Sunday flights booked. We're on!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Training? I wish! I just totally destroyed my legs by racing.

I'm going to treat Berlin as a fun outing, and the missus is looking forward to a weekend trip where the idiot husband will be jogging around for a few hours at one point, as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

10 weeks to go, all is well, and I'm hoping the weather has been acclimatising me for a possibly sultry September morning in Berlin. I'm further hoping said acclimatisation won't be required, however.

Jmcmen wrote: »
    • dehydrated
    • first session in a week
    • speed session

= calf strain

RICE

+1 on that. strained my calf after a tough week training, a bit dehydrated, 16mile into a long run yesterday and had to hobble home.
    Hopefully a couple of days should do it though.
    Keep the faith

very slow to come back from it!
    going on 4 weeks now and can barley manage 10km.

only managing 10km barely after 3/4 weeks very slow rehab.
    ice after every run
    tender this morning after 10k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

only managing 10km barely after 3/4 weeks very slow rehab.
    ice after every run
    tender this morning after 10k

Same... 10k's are a struggle. Based on this, I think I'll be bowing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Been out a week now with a minor calf tear and inflammation, physio again tomorrow, feels better but I've decided to throw my goal time out the window and just focus on being able to get around

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mdlb

Same boat here... ended up with shin splints which physio originally diagnosed as a stress fracture.. que a two week layoff waiting on MRI and results ... only cross training and starting to get back doing some very short runs.... at this stage it will be a trot round and try and enjoy it rather than aiming for any time in particular...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I have decided simply, if its a colder day around the 16degrees mark....I should come close to 3h time, if its warmer, or a stinky 25degrees etc, I could finish anywhere :o

Its 32degrees in Basel today, looking forward to my long run....*shudders*

Advertisement