Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Marathon - 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

I got in easy enough, after a tense few minutes of waiting watching a waiting bar go the reverse way!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Hi all,

Any recommendations on where to stay for the Berlin marathon?

Cheers,

NT

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

Hi all,

Cheers,

NT

Anywhere near Zoo station you won't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Hi all,

Cheers,

NT

I got a cheap AirBnb near the Leninstrause stop. There was a train straight to Hermanstrause straight from the airport, and we were one stop from there.

From the marathon expo, we have one change over at Alexanderplatz, and a few stops from there. It was very easy to get around. As long as you're near a U-Bahn, you should be fine wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I note on the acceptance emails, it says: "No training and no competition without health checkup! Please make an appointment with the doctor of your choice to undergo a sports medical examination."

Do you need to have a medical cert to run this or is it just a suggestion that you get a checkup before you run? I assume it's the latter but I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I note on the acceptance emails, it says: "No training and no competition without health checkup! Please make an appointment with the doctor of your choice to undergo a sports medical examination."

Do you need to have a medical cert to run this or is it just a suggestion that you get a checkup before you run? I assume it's the latter but I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks.
    Nah I have done it twice they are just covering their butts in case of anything happening to any of the 40,000 + participants

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭seanin4711

hi all.
    flights currently around 250 out Friday back Monday.(RA &AL).
    anyone else get any better deals/offers?
    worst case is it worth flying into another city close by and grabbing the train?
    thanks
    John

I have flown from Shannon the two times I ran Berlin - usually works out at around €100 return, Shannon may not suit though put an alert on sky scanners app there is plenty time yet to book flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

seanin4711 wrote: »
    hi all.
    flights currently around 250 out Friday back Monday.(RA &AL).
    anyone else get any better deals/offers?
    worst case is it worth flying into another city close by and grabbing the train?
    thanks
    John

We got ours for €123 each - flying out the Friday morning and returning on Monday from Dublin. We got the flights in the Aer Lingus sale at Christmas and it was the cheapest I'd seen. Not sure if it would be worth waiting for another sale or if it would be better to bite the bullet now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Huzzah! wrote:
    We got ours for €123 each - flying out the Friday morning and returning on Monday from Dublin. We got the flights in the Aer Lingus sale at Christmas and it was the cheapest I'd seen. Not sure if it would be worth waiting for another sale or if it would be better to bite the bullet now.

I got the same, less than 300 for myself and the Mrs. Can't go wrong with them prices.

• Advertisement

MacSwifty wrote: »
    I have flown from Shannon the two times I ran Berlin - usually works out at around €100 return, Shannon may not suit though put an alert on sky scanners app there is plenty time yet to book flights.

with who? and direct?

with who? and direct?
    Ryanair Direct to  Berlin-Schönefeld (SXF) out on the Friday back on the Monday. 2015 and  2016 fights were busy but not packed a lot of Galway and Roscommon marathoners travelling

Ryanair Direct to  Berlin-Schönefeld (SXF) out on the Friday back on the Monday. 2015 and  2016 fights were busy but not packed a lot of Galway and Roscommon marathoners travelling

nothing on the ryanair site for scheduled flights this year as yet from that route

nothing on the ryanair site for scheduled flights this year as yet from that route
    https://www.shannonairport.ie/gns/passengers/flights/where-when-which-airline/summer.aspx

Bugger had a look at the Airports summer schedule and it appears to be discontinued

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

All paid up as of yesterday ( I deferred my 2017 entry)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

10 weeks into a 14 week training plan which I am doubling the weeks of and questioning my sanity running for so many hours for 30 weeks just to run around a city in 2:59:59 :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Anyone know how late the Expo stays open? If I get into town at 6.30pm am I screwed on the number front?

Bugger. Had flights booked for 1 for about €140, which was good value, only to realise I would arrive in Berlin late on Saturday night. Went back to change the booking, and it looked like it wasn't costing me too much extra to get the early-morning flight to Berlin instead.

Until I got the confirmation email, and the cost had shot up to nearly €300 (including a fee for changing the booking, ffs). None of this was particularly evident at the time of booking, so I was miffed enough to scour their website (fruitlessly) for a CANCEL BOOKING option. Then I picked up the phone, and 12 minutes of holding later, a nice lady informed me that, while they could refund me the €40 fee for the booking change, if I decided to cancel the whole thing, I would receive a refund of.......................37 bloody Euro.

Fecking robbing b*stards.

Anyway, I'm booked into a hotel from Saturday until Tuesday. Extra sightseeing day.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 cityrep

I'm booked in for this bad boy as well. Paid in thru a crowd called SETT as I didn't get any joy thru the lottery.

Flights from Dublin are a bit pricey, no?? 》:(

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

I booked my flights a month ago with Ryanair and paid €270 (Friday-Tuesday).
    Aer Lingus was, I think €320.
    Very expensive for flights to Germany.

Get in and get booked cityrep, only 22 weeks to go!!

• Advertisement

I booked my flights a month ago with Ryanair and paid €270 (Friday-Tuesday).
    Aer Lingus was, I think €320.
    Very expensive for flights to Germany.

Get in and get booked cityrep, only 22 weeks to go!!

22 weeks!!! Hahaha!! When you put it like that i' d better start training again!!

I'm so freaking IN already but I just checked air fungus and it's pissing up. 50-odd the way out. 160-odd the way back!! Gah! I'll hold of getting flights for the moment. It xant really get any worse!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

cityrep wrote: »
    22 weeks!!! Hahaha!! When you put it like that i' d better start training again!!

I'm so freaking IN already but I just checked air fungus and it's pissing up. 50-odd the way out. 160-odd the way back!! Gah! I'll hold of getting flights for the moment. It xant really get any worse!!
    When you thinking of going
    Would you flying to Manchester fri stay overnight get a good sleep and get a 12.20 flight to Berlin for 40 Euro arrives at 15.20

I know someone flying to Munch on the Friday morning and back also from Munich on Monday. Going to get the train to Berlin, think the flights were about 150 with Ryanair.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Finally booked my flight home, was considering hanging around for a few days but decided to save my leave days, so I'm doing Friday-Tuesday.

Anyone around for Monday night, let me know!

adrian522 wrote: »
    Finally booked my flight home, was considering hanging around for a few days but decided to save my leave days, so I'm doing Friday-Tuesday.

Anyone around for Monday night, let me know!

Me.

Village Runner, you are a complete genius.

I wouldn't be able to stay the night in Manchester but I have been able to get myself out of Dublin at 06:30 and get a seat on the 12 flight to Berlin. I doff my cap to you and all those other things and I owe you a beer. You've saved me about a 100 nicker because I've done the same on the way back.

What plan are you all going to use for this..? Starting to think about one myself now and hopefully able to integrate a few of the big summer races into my plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Dub13 wrote: »
    I know someone flying to Munch on the Friday morning and back also from Munich on Monday. Going to get the train to Berlin, think the flights were about 150 with Ryanair.

Does that someone know how big Germany is and just how far Munich and Berlin are apart? The very last thing I would want to do right before a marathon is spending hours and hours of travelling around.

Does that someone know how big Germany is and just how far Munich and Berlin are apart? The very last thing I would want to do right before a marathon is spending hours and hours of travelling around.

A mere 600km, give or take. 6 hours minimum by car.

• Advertisement

He is getting the fast train, so not to much of an issue. I have used the trains in Germany many times a day they are brilliant.

Advertisement