Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Marathon - 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Any boards groups doing Cologne marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

folks can anyone make sense of the 'charity donation' option, I can't find the actual link there I can register for this ballot?

Here's the official text:

On December 7, 2017, an additional group of 1,000 race numbers will be made available for 168 Euros, of which 60 Euros will be donated to the RTL Charity Marathon.
    The amount of donations will be donated in full to a charity project for Berlin children.

This seems to be different to the normal fundraising effort where you get in contact with a registered charity and raise funds for them etc.

Anyone know anything more on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Any boards groups doing Cologne marathon?

I wouldn't mind doing Cologne but you have 3 weeks more to get ready for Frankfurt after the Summer hols. I'm a devil for eating and drinking in the Summer. If I can be 'good' in 2018....... but of course you have to register a few months before in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

folks can anyone make sense of the 'charity donation' option, I can't find the actual link there I can register for this ballot?

Here's the official text:

On December 7, 2017, an additional group of 1,000 race numbers will be made available for 168 Euros, of which 60 Euros will be donated to the RTL Charity Marathon.
    The amount of donations will be donated in full to a charity project for Berlin children.

This seems to be different to the normal fundraising effort where you get in contact with a registered charity and raise funds for them etc.

Anyone know anything more on this?

Looking at this too. If you dont get in do you still donate the €60 anyway does anyone know? I think I read its live 10am tomorrow morning which is 9am Irish time.

BTW If you applied in the lottery did anyone get charged? If so when are the refunds. Smell of Irish water off this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Jmcmen wrote: »
    Looking at this too. If you dont get in do you still donate the €60 anyway does anyone know? I think I read its live 10am tomorrow morning which is 9am Irish time.

BTW If you applied in the lottery did anyone get charged? If so when are the refunds. Smell of Irish water off this one

If you get in, they charge you automatically. If not, they don't.

• Advertisement

davedanon wrote: »
    If you get in, they charge you automatically. If not, they don't.

Thats what I thought and what previously happened me.

A mate entered 3 of us in a team and was charged. Surely he will be refunded as we didnt make the start I would have thought?

Thats what I thought and what previously happened me.

A mate entered 3 of us in a team and was charged. Surely he will be refunded as we didnt make the start I would have thought?

hmm, so he was unsuccessful in the lottery but was still charged? I'd be getting in touch with them asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

It's incredibly unclear. From what I gather, it's like the "late entry" DCM does. You pay the regular fee plus the bit that's donated to charity (€60 in this case).

If its a case you need to raise more, I'm out. That well has long run dry for me!

It's incredibly unclear. From what I gather, it's like the "late entry" DCM does. You pay the regular fee plus the bit that's donated to charity (€60 in this case).

If its a case you need to raise more, I'm out. That well has long run dry for me!

exactly, me too. I'd happily pay €60 towards a charity should I get a place tomorrow but I'm not going to go down the fundraising route, especially when none of the registered charities are Irish or Ireland based.

especially when none of the registered charities are Irish or Ireland based.

Does that really make such a difference?

• Advertisement

Does that really make such a difference?

not really I guess but if I'm hounding people for their money I'd prefer to tell them their money is going towards a cause that is on the ground in Ireland..just my opinion.

not really I guess but if I'm hounding people for their money I'd prefer to tell them their money is going towards a cause that is on the ground in Ireland..just my opinion.

You never know, you might find that they consider it irrelevant. Not everyone thinks 'look after our own first'.

You never know, you might find that they consider it irrelevant. Not everyone thinks 'look after our own first'.

not sure what you're implying but they have a list of charities ordered by country so it's fairly common I'd say for a runner from say, France to opt for a French charity etc.

hmm, so he was unsuccessful in the lottery but was still charged? I'd be getting in touch with them asap.

Yeah thats what I was thinking. He was charged back at the time of entering the lottery. Something is wrong me thinks. Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The participants list is now live if anybody who got in wants to check, seems to work better on the desktop version.

https://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/plan-your-race/list-of-participants.html?force-desktop-view=1

not sure what you're implying but they have a list of charities ordered by country so it's fairly common I'd say for a runner from say, France to opt for a French charity etc.

Wasn't implying anything but probably got hold of the wrong end of the stick. I thought you were saying you only wanted to support an Irish charity that operated in Ireland, on behalf of people in Ireland, rather than GOAL or Concern or whatever. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

Don't know why everyone thinks they need to fundraise. It's 168 for the entry the extra 60 goes to a charity picked by the organisers.

Does anyone know the link for this morning? Or is it the one on the Facebook post?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Looking for the link myself for a mate.

In a waiting line...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Toffeeboy

In a waiting line since b4 8 :-(

Toffeeboy wrote: »
    In a waiting line since b4 8 :-(

Same, since just after 5 to

Any idea how long it will take to sell out. It's only 1k. If it was a gig they would be gone by now....

You should probably log off and get your friends to stop trying also :-)

I don't like the way the comment on the screen keeps changing from "Please wait" to "It will be your turn soon". Can they guarantee it will be My turn soon?

I appear to be in :-)

Did u get in innuendo141?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

Toffeeboy wrote: »
    I appear to be in :-)

Me too phew. It was handy enough

noelearly wrote: »
    Don't know why everyone thinks they need to fundraise. It's 168 for the entry the extra 60 goes to a charity picked by the organisers.

yes but up to this morning there was no link to enter/apply this way which is why I was asking. This morning however there is a link, I'm in the queue...like many others :D

all sold out :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

That was hard to turn down. Went through the process just to see what it was like, got to payment and Stuck the middle finger up and shouted " You are not a winner, Frankfurt instead"

Anyways good luck all. Great place

Advertisement