Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Marathon - 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭seanin4711

got 4:08 in 2015 and training for sub 4 this time round.
    how can i make sure i am in with the sub 4 pacers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

seanin4711 wrote: »

What did you put as your expected time on your entry?, I heard that they are quite strict regarding the corrals, you will have to go into whatever your number says.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭seanin4711

What did you put as your expected time on your entry?, I heard that they are quite strict regarding the corrals, you will have to go into whatever your number says.

i would have stated desired corral ie sub 4hr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

i would have stated desired corral ie sub 4hr

You will be in corral G which is 3.50 - 4.15. There are 3 wave starts but I dont know how many they will let go in each wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Polster

Hi all, I'm doing Berlin also.  Less than 2 weeks proper training left, then 3 week taper.  All gone well touch wood, as broke down with injury just before Rotterdam/London last year.  Hope training has gone well for everyone.  Have really noticed an increase in pace for same effort since the temperature has cooled down a bit, can breath much easier and not dying for water constantly.  Expect all the training in the heat will help us significantly on the day, as long as it's reasonable, between 12 to 17 good.
    Some good info and tips on the forum below, prior and post last years marathon.  First time doing Berlin for myself.
    https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussion/345972/berlin-marathon-2017

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

I remember people giving out about the Pacers in Berlin before I did it last year and thinking to myself they can't be all that bad. The 3 hour pacer last year was doing 6.30 pace for the first 3 miles, he blew up quiet a few hopeful sub 3s, thankfully I took the advise. I'd just be careful if i where you, compared to Dublin and Cork marathons where everything is done at an even pace i think they like to bank some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Just a note on the pacers, I didn't quite believe the negativity around them before I ran Berlin ( 2016), I ran 2.58 on the day and never caught a sight of the sub 3 pacers !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Duanington wrote: »
    Just a note on the pacers, I didn't quite believe the negativity around them before I ran Berlin ( 2016), I ran 2.58 on the day and never caught a sight of the sub 3 pacers !

But were they behind you or in front?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

davedanon wrote: »

way, way in front

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

davedanon wrote: »

way, way in front
    Which basically makes them redundant. Doing more harm than good for anyone really targeting a first sub 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Not long now guys, hope the training is going well for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 cityrep

It's gas when you're telling people "I'm going to run Berlin" and it's miles away and it all seems like a vague thing sometime in the distant future.

But then you get the email telling you there's 31 days left. And there's not many rows left on your training schedule. And even in spite of all the training and miles, I suddenly start to question my intelligence and decision making abilities!!!

Cityrep, I hear you. When I got that mail, I had a little gulp.

The body feels good from the shoulders down, now just need to get my head in order :)

Not too bad at all bar a bug last week.  Tempo effort today, last long one on Saturday and then taper time.  Fingers crossed for desirable weather on the day.

A little question for experienced Berliners. Is water on the day given in bottles (like Dublin) or little cups (like Rotterdam)? Wondering if I should carry a bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Cityrep, I hear you. When I got that mail, I had a little gulp.

The body feels good from the shoulders down, now just need to get my head in order :)

Was this an email sent by the organisers? I haven't received anything recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

cityrep wrote: »
    A little question for experienced Berliners. Is water on the day given in bottles (like Dublin) or little cups (like Rotterdam)? Wondering if I should carry a bottle

Paper cups.
    Here’s a good link that the user Polster posted earlier in this thread.
    It has some good info and tips from last year’s marathon.
    https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussion/345972/berlin-marathon-2017

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Was this an email sent by the organisers? I haven't received anything recently.

Yes. A few days ago... perhaps you might contact the organisers?

There's also a link to the official list where you can find your name. Click here:
    https://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/plan-your-race/list-of-participants.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

cityrep wrote: »
    Yes. A few days ago... perhaps you might contact the organisers?

There's also a link to the official list where you can find your name. Click here:
    https://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/plan-your-race/list-of-participants.html

Thanks for that - I'm on the list, alright. Stomach did a wee somersault when I saw my bib number.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Thanks for that - I'm on the list, alright. Stomach did a wee somersault when I saw my bib number.

Thank Christ!!

• Advertisement

All ready for one of the last (if not last) long run this weekend.

The pope has put paid to my Phoenix Park run, so heading to Donadea to do the EOI 20 mile event. It will be good to run with others around for a change.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I did 23 today, 17 next week and then 10. Training went well, got loads of God solid long runs in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Dub13 wrote: »
    I did 23 today, 17 next week and then 10. Training went well, got loads of God solid long runs in.

Those God solid runs are always better than the good solid kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

OOnegative wrote: »
    Those God solid runs are always better than the good solid kind.

You will only get them this weekend with his holy father in town, back to normal runs next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 highlandcow

I ran an even split 3.08 there last year. For the first 10k the 3.15 pacers were well in front of me. I wouldn't trust the pacers there for a second. I also think the size of the race means that there are people of all paces scattered around the start area despite the strict organisation. People going at around 4 hour pace after a few K. Also, while I'm being picky....the water stations for the first half are mental. Despite all those gripes I would run it again in a heartbeat great race.

Everyone receive their Start card?

How can you tell your allocated pen/wave from the card?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

from race booklet, page 36

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Yeah got mine, looking forward to it now I just hope it gets a bit cooler.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Yeah got mine, looking forward to it now I just hope it gets a bit cooler.
    aye, really looking forward to this one as so much good stuff said about it, and of course nothing wrong with German beer, food and frauleins.  Weather has cooled right over here in London, so fingers crossed with an early start, we don't have anything more than mid to high teens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mdlb

Training for me has been a bit of a disaster for this one.. from hitting an injury that laid me up for 6 weeks mid program to life just generally getting in the way..☹️ I just haven’t managed to get the mileage in that I needed to☹️

Had great ideas of a sub 3:20/3:15 but now looking like sub 4:00 is more realistic...
    Can’t all go to plan I guess!

Advertisement