Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Marathon - 2018

Options
  • 18-10-2017 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭

Registration for the lottery opened today for anyone interested in having a chance of running this next year.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

In as well. What are the chances on this one..? I hear good but never seen numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Better than 50/50 I thought?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Better than 50/50 I thought?

Hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Im in too, my dream marathon.

I thought I read in the old thread that its about 30%? Could be wrong

Edit: From having a look online it does seem to be around 50%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

I've entered the lottery as well, 50/50 is not bad at all. Have entered in the ballot for London the last two years and the odds on that so much tougher it seemed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Entered too, fingers crossed.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Hopefully will be happy in November. I think it's around €300/€400 to go through an agency for this one either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Have registered too! Would be my first marathon!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

How realistic would it be to do Berlin and then prepare sufficiently for Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Phoebas wrote: »
    How realistic would it be to do Berlin and then prepare sufficiently for Dublin?

I depends on what you want from them... If you are targeting a time you could race Berlin and all going well, recover and tip around Dublin(providing you have experience and mileage behind you)..

Racing both would be risky enough IMO. Some people could pull it off but it's something you would probably know well before hand if you are that type of runner to pull it off...

I wouldn't jog Berlin and race Dublin, it wouldn't be playing to particular events strengths.... Personally, I'd feel it a wasted opportunity for a PB in Berlin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

Phoebas wrote: »

Did both 2.56 berlin and Dublin 2.58. Did very little I'm between, 5 mile recovery runs 1 5k race to wake my legs up and a 13 mile long run.

I actually enjoyed Dublin more.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think there is an extra week between the races next year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I have entered as a "fast runner" as they call it, the cut off time for my age cat over 60 was a very tight 3.25. I managed to run 3.24.16 in Dublin, talk about cutting it tight !!. I dont know if it will be good enough to get in. Bloody expensive marathon, €108 entry, €6 timing chip rental, and if you want a finisher tee shirt its another €30. Total of €144.................Does Angela Merkel not know that I only work part time !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 G1raff3

Entered the ballot for this one, fairly expensive if i get lucky but hoping for a nice pb and a sneaky weekend away. Anyone know how difficult accommodation is around that time?

I have entered as a "fast runner" as they call it, the cut off time for my age cat over 60 was a very tight 3.25. I managed to run 3.24.16 in Dublin, talk about cutting it tight !!. I dont know if it will be good enough to get in. Bloody expensive marathon, €108 entry, €6 timing chip rental, and if you want a finisher tee shirt its another €30. Total of €144.................Does Angela Merkel not know that I only work part time !!!!

Not all that expensive for a marathon major is it?? €114 including chip rental (you cheapskate :D ) ...

In seriousness though, I do realise the cost impact for a part time worker.... If I was in that position I probably wouldn't have the balls to enter :D:D

G1raff3 wrote: »
    Entered the ballot for this one, fairly expensive if i get lucky but hoping for a nice pb and a sneaky weekend away. Anyone know how difficult accommodation is around that time?

Found accommodation fine, cheaper than home... Book early enough and shop around via bookming.com and marebandb ect.....
    Transport very good so dont be worried to much about location once you have access to U or S band.....

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

Is it not gauranteed entry once you meet the "fast runner" qualifying time?
    I'm considering it for next year and have a fast runner qualifying time according to this page below. Does anyone know when the cut off is for applying in this case?
    https://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/faq/my-registration/how-to-participate-2018.html

G1raff3 wrote: »

An abundance of accommodation all good, and it doesn't really matter where just a case of jumping on public transport and it takes you to start line.

Berlin is cheap compared to the American majors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Don't know where you're getting that 3.25 qualifying time from. AFAIK there's only two 'fast runner' qualifying times - <2:45 or <2:55 for aged 45 and up (male), and <3.00 or <3.20 for 45 and up (female)

There's no 'if I get in' either. You have the time, you're in. Otherwise, you're in the lottery.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

davedanon wrote: »
    Don't know where you're getting that 3.25 qualifying time from. AFAIK there's only two 'fast runner' qualifying times - <2:45 or <2:55 for aged 45 and up (male), and <3.00 or <3.20 for 45 and up (female)

There's no 'if I get in' either. You have the time, you're in. Otherwise, you're in the lottery.

https://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/plan-your-race/registration-2018.html

Male Runners: Age 18 to 44 (age group 2000 to 1974): under 2:45 hours – Male Runners Age 45 to 59 (age group 1973 to 1959): under 2:55 hours – Male Runners Age 60 and up (age group 1958 und older): under 3:25 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

adrian522 wrote: »
    https://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/plan-your-race/registration-2018.html

Male Runners: Age 18 to 44 (age group 2000 to 1974): under 2:45 hours – Male Runners Age 45 to 59 (age group 1973 to 1959): under 2:55 hours – Male Runners Age 60 and up (age group 1958 und older): under 3:25 hours

Ah. They've changed the rules. I stand corrected. Then I reckon the man is in for sure. Good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Ah. They've changed the rules. I stand corrected. Then I reckon the man is in for sure. Good stuff.

I'm not sure how they operate this one, do they take the quicker times first and keep going towards 3.25 until they fill the quota, similar to the way they do it in Boston. I dont have many seconds to spare !!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

From the website:
    Male Runners: Age 18 to 44 (age group 2000 to 1974): under 2:45 hours – Male Runners Age 45 to 59 (age group 1973 to 1959): under 2:55 hours –
    Male Runners Age 60 and up (age group 1958 und older): under 3:25 hours
    Female Runners: Age 18 to 44 (age group 2000 to 1974): under 3:00 hours – Female Runners Age 45 to 59 (age group 1973 to 1959): under 3:20 hours – Female Runners Age 60 and up (age group 1958 und older): under 4:10 hours

Entry is guaranteed, but cut-off for registration is 12pm CET tomorrow (Wednesday).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

The missus told me she'd fancy a trip to Berlin. Who am I to argue ... :) Would be my second major if the lottery works out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The missus told me she'd fancy a trip to Berlin. Who am I to argue ... :) Would be my second major if the lottery works out

Aye same here. I like to see Berlin and so would the kids:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I've thrown them some money, let's see what happens!

After swearing I would stay away from it next year, I've decided to go for the lotto again.

Unfinished business, feel like I left a good few minutes after me last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

I'm thinking of applying too before the cut-off tomorrow. What's the course profile like compared to Dublin? Fast and flat? Might it be still a wee bit warm in mid September ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I'm thinking of applying too before the cut-off tomorrow. What's the course profile like compared to Dublin? Fast and flat? Might it be still a wee bit warm in mid September ?

There's a reason why every marathon world record is being set in Berlin these days.

Advertisement