Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision 2018

Options
1154155156157158160»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭farmerwifelet

I think Ireland were looking to show how progressive we are by having two male dancers and the the whole controversy that went with it. but to be honest Ryan sounded very hoarse trying to hit the high notes and looked very smug. was an average song.

Surie did well but her song wasn;t that great either. i have to say the netherlands was one i enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

How can we support a Eurovision in Israel considering that they are doing to the Palestinian people. I thought Eurovision was about Unity and Equality? Israel goes against everything Eurovision stands for.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

miocicmma wrote: »
    How can we support a Eurovision in Israel considering that they are doing to the Palestinian people. I thought Eurovision was about Unity and Equality? Israel goes against everything Eurovision stands for.

Well the argument is that politics should be left out of it, but yeah I agree with you. Don't think it was posted on the thread but the lord mayor of Dublin has called for a boycott, whilst a petition calling for an Icelandic boycott has attracted 16,000 signatures. Now I don't expect that these will make one blind bit of difference, but at least someone is speaking up. It would've been interesting to see if Eurovision occurred a week later than it did whether or not Israel would still have won.

Of course, the final say on where it's held lies with the EBU, so if they deem Jerusalem unsafe and Israel refuse to host it elsewhere than we may not be heading to Israel at all next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I would also be in favour of a boycott. Charlie McGettigan, who was part of Ireland's Eurovision winner in 1994, has also called for one:
    McGettigan, who won the Eurovision for Ireland in 1994 with Paul Harrington and the song Rock 'n' Roll Kids, told Joe Duffy on RTRadio 1 that he thinks Ireland should boycott the event if it is not held in another country, or cancelled altogether.

"I think they need to make a decision, but if they don’t, I think we need to make the decision not to go," McGettigan said on Liveline on Tuesday.

"It was dreadful yesterday (Monday) seeing Netanyahu and the Trumps celebrating while people are dead."

Duffy asked whether such a statement would make a difference, pointing to photos of crowds welcoming Eurovision winner Netta home in Tel Aviv.

"I suppose life goes on," said McGettigan, adding that "it's a chance for the whole of Europe who are involved in Eurovision to make a statement and sort of say, 'Look, we don't agree with this'."

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2018/0516/963838-charlie-mcgettigan-calls-for-eurovision-boycott/

I don't think future generations will look back kindly on countries throwing a big knees-up and 'having the craic' when Palestinians are being mistreated and slaughtered. To go is to condone Israel's behaviour.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

miocicmma wrote: »
    How can we support a Eurovision in Israel considering that they are doing to the Palestinian people.

Like they've done for Australia in recent years, the EBU should invite Palestine to enter next year. (although it would seem odd having a country in the Middle East in a European singing competition... oh..)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

Our beloved Marija from Macedonia didn't leave Eurovision empty handed -- she won our hearts AND the Barabara Dex Award. Not a surprise really. :P
    http://wiwibloggs.com/2018/05/20/barbara-dex-award-2018-f-y-r-macedonias-eye-cue-win-eurovisions-worst-dressed/223426/

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

Our beloved Marija from Macedonia didn't leave Eurovision empty handed -- she won our hearts AND the Barabara Dex Award. Not a surprise really. :P
    http://wiwibloggs.com/2018/05/20/barbara-dex-award-2018-f-y-r-macedonias-eye-cue-win-eurovisions-worst-dressed/223426/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

What does the winner get?
    I dont think she will get much !

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Quiko09

Think Ukraine should have won or at least done better.
    1st song of the night was not in his favor.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭skepticalme

Israel manipulated a poll on journal.ie on the question 'Should Ireland boycott the eurovision' which begs the question
    Could Israel have cheated Eurovision

https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/could-israel-have-cheated-eurovision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,669 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

2019 thread here. Mods feel free to close this one.

Advertisement