Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision 2018

Options

Comments

LizT wrote: »
    Yes, there is someone wrong with slagging her off purely because of her looks. Some of the comments on this thread last night were disgusting.

While I agree entirely she did play the "poor fat girl with her issues card" in every interview I saw her in and that was very much to the fore in those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

I'm amazed people are surprised that some ludicrous quirky terrible song won ! The eurovision hasn't been a music competition in decades!
    Of course the odd good song still wins - but mostly it's the crazy political/sjw/pc trend that will win time and again.

I mean a few years ago a woman with a beard won it FOR ****S SAKE!!!! - and it was a terrible song, she won that cos she had a beard - end of.

I remember listening to Liveline years back when we sent Dustin and some guy was on and he had it spot on - he said something along the lines of :

The Eurovision is a JOKE ... and the only way to answer a JOKE is by sending a JOKE !!
    Why bother making an effort and sending a good song only to be beaten by some tranny in a dress with a feather sticking out her arse!!

Spot on really, Ireland had a good song last night - not saying they deserved to win, lots of countries had great songs (I think Germanys was really moving - about the kid who lost his dad ...) but the *****e* that won, really makes it time to just send a joke in future.

If Ireland wanna win it , don't care about the song, they can win it with My Lovely Horse (the accustic version) just send -

An obese transsexual lesbian that is white but "Identifies" as black.

GUARANTEED WIN -100%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Wow there have been some awful comments in here in the last few days. Sure, I really don't like the song and I thought the staging was crap but I'm not getting myself tied up in knots about it. Some people are taking this way too seriously.

I think the contest has been mostly good for the last number of years, maybe the songs that won weren't what I would've chosen but I don't pretend to know what the voting public are thinking in general. Ireland's entry did quite well this year with both the jury votes and public votes. I didn't think we were going to win and that's fine. Despite how clichéd it sounds, I do in fact think that taking part is what counts. It's a fun competition and I was super proud of Ryan and our entry this year. It's exciting when we get to take part but I don't watch it for Ireland, I watch coz it's ridiculous and I enjoy getting outraged by the silly acts. I can see why Netta won this year, the song is catchy and she's very different to anything that's been there before.

Thus ends my 2cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Send Dustin every year, eventually it will be so batty he would win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,212 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Send Dustin every year, eventually it will be so batty he would win it.
    He really wouldn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The disgraceful way their contestant was treated when she was singing should make them leave. Poor girl.

The little bollix that did it lives in London so hopefully be will get a few slaps when he gets back.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    The UK entry wasn't great but what happened to her during the performance was absolutely terrible. This was a new low and perhaps a sign of whats to come as the contest spirals out of control.
    It isnt a new thing a guy jumped on stage and skipped about last year before flashing his a#se.
    They really need to work on their security.

Netta would have been my winner, but hey she won the viewers vote and came 3rd in the jury vote so it is what it is.

It was amazing to see the massive difference in jury and public vote (e.g. sweden 2nd with jurry vs 23rd with public, or Ukraine 26th with Jury vs 7th with public).

Tbh i was more shocked that Austria won the jury vote, it wasnt a horrendous song but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Wow there have been some awful comments in here in the last few days. Sure, I really don't like the song and I thought the staging was crap but I'm not getting myself tied up in knots about it. Some people are taking this way too seriously.

I think the contest has been mostly good for the last number of years, maybe the songs that won weren't what I would've chosen but I don't pretend to know what the voting public are thinking in general. Ireland's entry did quite well this year with both the jury votes and public votes. I didn't think we were going to win and that's fine. Despite how clichéd it sounds, I do in fact think that taking part is what counts. It's a fun competition and I was super proud of Ryan and our entry this year. It's exciting when we get to take part but I don't watch it for Ireland, I watch coz it's ridiculous and I enjoy getting outraged by the silly acts. I can see why Netta won this year, the song is catchy and she's very different to anything that's been there before.

Thus ends my 2cents.

i dont watch it religiously so I dont know for sure, but surely there have been other Lady gaga rip offs at eurovision in the past?!

Originality wasnt there in abundance in fairness. Name of the game seems to be pick an artist and rip it off as much as is humanly possible e.g. Sweden was a Timberlake job, couple of Bon Jovis and Kid Rocks popped up, and an Ed Sheeran type thing in there for good measure. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,105 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

gmisk wrote: »
    It isnt a new thing a guy jumped on stage and skipped about last year before flashing his a#se.
    They really need to work on their security.

Yeah but this guy made physical contact with the performer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

i dont watch it religiously so I dont know for sure, but surely there have been other Lady gaga rip offs at eurovision in the past?!

Originality wasnt there in abundance in fairness. Name of the game seems to be pick an artist and rip it off as much as is humanly possible e.g. Sweden was a Timberlake job, couple of Bon Jovis and Kid Rocks popped up, and an Ed Sheeran type thing in there for good measure. :D

I thought the Bulgarian one was the Sia/Lady Gaga rip off?

Of course there are quirky acts but I don't think Netta was ripping off Gaga or anyone else for that matter.

Just coz someone may sound like a certain performer doesn't mean it isn't a valid song. None of them were blatant rip offs that could be done for plagiarism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

Fair play Netta. Sher did what she needed to do to win. I thought israel pulled out of the Eurovision last year? Pity they didnt. Horrible nation.

It was an awful terrible song though. 2nd worst of the night behind the Hungarian screaming. And lets be honest, Fuego wasn't reallt that good either. A good dance routine from a hot woman is all it was.

FWIW, I called Austria to win on Tuesday. Head and shoulders above every other song in there. Denmark I loved too*. Slovenia, Finland and UK were all pretty decent as was Sweden. They are EV masters to be fair. And Moldova was definitely the most fun entry of the competition.

*Great tweet on Saturday night - "Pity the Danish singers will all be killed by the night king before the night is out".

Finally - was it only me or did one of Nettas handlers agressively push the Austrian dude away as she was going to the stage after her win was confirmed? Looked like the Austrian was going to congratulate her. Wonder was it because he is black?

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Yeah but this guy made physical contact with the performer.
    He didnt but he had plenty of time to which was my point.

Tbh if some of the songs sound similar to other songs out there its probably because some of them are wrote by the same people i.e. swedes!

I didnt think the Bulgarian song sounded like a rip off to me.

Germany literally ripped of Sia/David Guetta - titanium before though
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7pUKkSrXFY

The most lady gaga esque one for me was Finland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The last "good" winner to me was Emmelie de Forest with her 'Only Teardrops' song in 2013.

That was a rip off of another song.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,127 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Just in case you’ve forgotten, Moldova came tenth.

MOLDOVA.

Finished IN TENTH PLACE.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,105 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

gmisk wrote: »
    He didnt but he had plenty of time to which was my point.

Tbh if some of the songs sound similar to other songs out there its probably because some of them are wrote by the same people i.e. swedes!

I didnt think the Bulgarian song sounded like a rip off to me.

Germany literally ripped of Sia/David Guetta - titanium before though
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7pUKkSrXFY

The most lady gaga esque one for me was Finland.

He grabbed the mic out of her hand. Thats contact.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I thought the Bulgarian one was the Sia/Lady Gaga rip off?

Of course there are quirky acts but I don't think Netta was ripping off Gaga or anyone else for that matter.

Just coz someone may sound like a certain performer doesn't mean it isn't a valid song. None of them were blatant rip offs that could be done for plagiarism.

Call it what you will, there was enough of Gaga and other such acts to suggest that originality wasn't Netta's strong point as suggested. As someone mentioned a few pages back, those makey-up words she uses are very Gaga.

I agree there were more than 1 guilty of being a poor womans' gaga/rihanna etc. It's not exactly a big surprise either. I dont think anyone expects Eurovision to exhibit much else, which is a pity as a more credible European songwriting event would be good to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

sure gaga is a total rip off of madonna, what's the point ?

The point was made clear in the post i.e. someone praised Netta for her originality. I disagree that her song/act was original, although that is not to say that good music always has to be totally original.

The other point = the songs in Eurovision are almost without exception, absolute sh*t and I would like to see a more credible songwriting event become as much of a big thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

bot43 wrote: »
    Finally - was it only me or did one of Nettas handlers agressively push the Austrian dude away as she was going to the stage after her win was confirmed? Looked like the Austrian was going to congratulate her. Wonder was it because he is black?

There was an argument over on Instagram about this, it looked like a push to me but others were saying he just left his hand on him to acknowledge the fact the Austrian was congratulating her.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Netta jumped on the girl power bandwagon uprising but what about the 'stupid boy' lyrics?
    Can you imagine if their entry was a male singer and he was singing 'you stupid girl'.
    Imagine the backlash from the feminist brigade!

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

MOLDOVA.

Finished IN TENTH PLACE.

Prefer Moldova to winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,749 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Is it safe to come back yet? :eek: Few delayed thoughts on Saturday night

This year proved to be as unpredictable as many of us had anticipated, primarily the huge discrepancies between the jury and public vote. Austria winning the jury vote was a huge shock and thoroughly undeserved, imo. I mean it was a nice enough song that plodded along, but I'd have put it low top ten at the very most. When the juries ridiculously put Sweden in second place I feared we were heading back to Sweden again, so naturally I was thrilled when they got their worst televote scores in many years.

Australia coming bottom of the televote was a big shock. The staging was poor and the vocals not the best, but for it to come rock bottom was harsh. Being in the middle of a very busy second half probably didn't help, and I'd guess some songs simply cancelled each other out. I think it's a bit early to speculate as to whether viewers are becoming less happy about Australia's continued presence in the competition, or whether some are pissed off that they were essentially lied to about Australia being a "guest" in the competition. However it's certainly clear that the novelty has worn off.

I'm disappointed but not shocked about Ireland's placing, I did allow myself to caught up in the hype a little. I think we deserved low top ten, certainly ahead of the likes of Moldova, but I can't complain too much. A reasonable effort from RTE this year, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if it's another 5 years before we make the final again.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

MOLDOVA.

Finished IN TENTH PLACE.

Still singing that song so I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

I thought Moldova was absolutely brilliant. Not worth the win, but top 5 for certain. It was a fun little show and catchy. Miles better than the winner thats for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I actually missed the stage invasion the other night - looked away for about 10 seconds. :rolleyes:

Rewatching it, SuRie looks scared when she is doing the clapping and could you blame her? The stage invader is wearing a backpack. She must have been internally ****ting it. Poor girl.

And also, Marty Whelan takes the whole thing faaarrr to seriously. I watched on RTÉ rather than BBC as my husband didn't want to watch so I was viewing it via RTÉ Live on my phone. Constant griping about political voting. Snide comments about other acts. Relax Marty!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Bulgaria must be disappointed with their placing after all their efforts and the crazy hype they initially delivered, but I think it was simply a case of them trying too hard this year. Plus the image of Equinox was all wrong, and five on stage was too many. I think if they simplify their approach they'll be back as contenders in 2019.

Very disappointed for France, crazy to think they didn't even better Alma's placing! Overall not too surprised though, the song wasn't as good live, they didn't bring the message and above all else the song is a grower. It took me a solid two months of listening before I grew to love it.

To conclude! Hugely surprised at Italy's televote score, after 25 songs it sounded like a mumbled mess to me. Ireland and Britain evidently agreed, as both were among the few to give it zero in the televote :D Thrilled for the Czech Republic, a country that generally seems pretty indifferent to Eurovision, I hope Mikolas gets props from the Czech press. Lastly, felt very sad for SuRie, it was clear to see how much of a fright she got. I hope it didn't ruin her experience overall, she's been a great ambassador for the UK, just let down by a nice, but uninspired song.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

To conclude! Hugely surprised at Italy's televote score, after 25 songs it sounded like a mumbled mess to me. Ireland and Britain evidently agreed, as both were among the few to give it zero in the televote :D Thrilled for the Czech Republic, a country that generally seems pretty indifferent to Eurovision, I hope Mikolas gets props from the Czech press. Lastly, felt very sad for SuRie, it was clear to see how much of a fright she got. I hope it didn't ruin her experience overall, she's been a great ambassador for the UK, just let down by a nice, but uninspired song.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that about Italy.

Really was the worst song and performance on the night, the type of song nobody would be surprised came last. But to actually finish ahead of Sweden, Czech Rep, Norway, Moldova? Crazy.
    Overall apart from the results, I thought it was a really good Eurovision this year. Some cracking songs and performances across multiple genres on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What was the thing with the two male dancers for Ireland. It looked very silly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

What was the thing with the two male dancers for Ireland. It looked very silly.

I have to agree. The song just seemed like a backdrop to the dancing when it should be front and centre.

Advertisement