Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

We're all agreed the reason we didn't come last was because of the two lads dancing in the background, so next year we need less singing and have a big gay orgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

How did Israel fare with the Irish public vote

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Mr_Man2121

How did Israel fare with the Irish public vote

6 points

https://eurovisionworld.com/eurovision/2018

Somebody earlier posted the lyrics to the Israeli entry in the context of "how can this garbage win? '... A woman singing about being strong surely beats a man singing about his feelings or his mammy everytime..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

We're all agreed the reason we didn't come last was because of the two lads dancing in the background, so next year we need less singing and have a big gay orgy.

ImportantNewAfricanelephant-max-1mb.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭dubrov

I wouldn't say this years entry was hated in any sense of the word. In fact PP cynically latched on to the "positive" vibes once we progressed and manipulated the public into thinking the song was in with a chance by drastically reducing the odds to brainwash people into thinking it had a chance of winning, ensuring they could boost their bank a/c massively at the expense of naive, bandwagon betters

PP don't set the odds at will. They move their odds in line with the betting . The reason why the odds fell at PP and all other bookies is that a load of people bet on Ireland to win.

dubrov wrote: »
    PP don't set the odds at will. They move their odds in line with the betting . The reason why the odds fell at PP and all other bookies is that a load of people bet on Ireland to win.

There are a host of reasons why bookies will set their odds, mathematical laying is just one of them. Sports are very different to events like the Eurovision or novelty bets etc. They manipulate the odds in line with public emotions. They gauge patriotism, hope, and media mood.

They obviously were bang on with Israel and Cyprus in the betting stakes.
    They knew their chances were very high so kept the odds low so as to put casual gamblers off. I mean how many casual gamblers (who make up the majority of Eurovision bets) are going to take a "no value for money" price

They needed to cover themselves thereon. They are savvy and use marketing propaganda campaigns and social media to sway emotions.

Even in sports betting, especially online, they will heavily market very unlikely winning bets, making them look appealing, even likely and good value for backers and steer clear of marketing likely results.

6 - 8/1 was perfect price to suck the betting public in. It surprised the public into thinking Ireland had a good chance but also represented a price that casual betters would take. And even if Ireland did finish within the first 6 (which the bookies were paying out on, and wasn't exactly completely unlikely, all the each way bets would merely pay out is what you put on and maybe a small fraction more)
    The odds basically dropped overnight.

Same with the UK, they latched on to the concept that viewers would be sucked into believing Surie would get a huge sympathy vote now, which UK social media was obsessed with and dropped the odds accordingly, again to market this gamble. People saw the UK price drop hugely and jumped on the bandwagon.

It wasn't about offsetting probability of winning, it was more about luring people in to false sense of thinking/speculating.

Just read this thread, the amount of people who panic gambled on Ireland because their price dropped and jumped on the bandwagon or felt hard done by/shocked that we didn't do better because the bookies made us 3rd/4th favourites is hilarious!
    Many of these said Ireland didn't have a chance until they saw the odds dropping!
    Would they have backed Ireland at 200/1 (very unlikely................ "oh look at the price, they don't have a chance") But the same people backed the performance, even though it was the exact same performance based on "wow, look at the price dropping, we must be in with a great chance"

Paddy Power's and other Irish/UK Betting main market is aimed at UK/Ireland so they will target that market rather than say French public.

There are a host of reasons why bookies will set their odds, mathematical laying is just one of them. Sports are very different to events like the Eurovision or novelty bets etc. They manipulate the odds in line with public emotions. They gauge patriotism, hope, and media mood.

They obviously were bang on with Israel and Cyprus in the betting stakes.
    They knew their chances were very high so kept the odds low so as to put casual gamblers off. I mean how many casual gamblers (who make up the majority of Eurovision bets) are going to take a "no value for money" price

They needed to cover themselves thereon. They are savvy and use marketing propaganda campaigns and social media to sway emotions.

Even in sports betting, especially online, they will heavily market very unlikely winning bets, making them look appealing, even likely and good value for backers and steer clear of marketing likely results.

6 - 8/1 was perfect price to suck the betting public in. It surprised the public into thinking Ireland had a good chance but also represented a price that casual betters would take. And even if Ireland did finish within the first 6 (which the bookies were paying out on, and wasn't exactly completely unlikely, all the each way bets would merely pay out is what you put on and maybe a small fraction more)
    The odds basically dropped overnight.

Same with the UK, they latched on to the concept that viewers would be sucked into believing Surie would get a huge sympathy vote now, which UK social media was obsessed with and dropped the odds accordingly, again to market this gamble. People saw the UK price drop hugely and jumped on the bandwagon.

It wasn't about offsetting probability of winning, it was more about luring people in to false sense of thinking/speculating.

Just read this thread, the amount of people who panic gambled on Ireland because their price dropped and jumped on the bandwagon or felt hard done by/shocked that we didn't do better because the bookies made us 3rd/4th favourites is hilarious!
    Many of these said Ireland didn't have a chance until they saw the odds dropping!
    Would they have backed Ireland at 200/1 (very unlikely................ "oh look at the price, they don't have a chance") But the same people backed the performance, even though it was the exact same performance based on "wow, look at the price dropping, we must be in with a great chance"

Paddy Power's and other Irish/UK Betting main market is aimed at UK/Ireland so they will target that market rather than say French public.

I know this is off topic but the above is mostly nonsense.
    I don't know where you got most of the above but you have clearly never run a bookmakers before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Ryan goes to Hollywood

Welcome to the PleasureDome

dubrov wrote: »
    I know this is off topic but the above is mostly nonsense.
    I don't know where you got most of the above but you have clearly never run a bookmakers before.

It isn't nonsense. Couldn't be more obvious that this is what materialised with the Irish and UK entries. I am not talking about the likes of sports betting

If you are ignorant to how bookmakers market bets, you are very naive (if we are going down the insulting route)

I suppose you have!

• Advertisement

Guys! Relax! All this bickering is making my hangover worse!

Play nice! Fuego!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The last "good" winner to me was Emmelie de Forest with her 'Only Teardrops' song in 2013.

Good song all right.

Overheard ‪Young lad on the train (about 10) discussing Eurovision ‬
    ‪-The Jury thing is a scam‬
    ‪-Cyprus nearly one cos yer wan was half naked! 😂‬

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

People across the pond are saying they should leave the competition, they say the same thing every year and then arrive back the following one.

The beeb wont drop it, it provides so much content for their platforms every May

It isn't nonsense. Couldn't be more obvious that this is what materialised with the Irish and UK entries. I am not talking about the likes of sports betting

If you are ignorant to how bookmakers market bets, you are very naive (if we are going down the insulting route)

I suppose you have!

I didn't mean to insult, just didn't agree.
    Anyway, this isn't the right forum to argue this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,127 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Really enjoyed last night’s show...and the thread too.

:)

Again, fair play to Ryan and SuRie - great performances, despite certain ‘protests’!

The Lord mayor of dublin has a sudden interest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

EPAndlee wrote: »
    I wonder do other countries hate and criticise their own song entry every year as much as the Irish do

Churning out piss poor dirge every year for 20 years does tend to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,105 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I burned my house down last night after Israel won. Well I tried but my more sensible wife stopped me.:D

However, I'll offer up my very honest and afterwards opinion on this years Eurovision. Ireland didn't deserve to win so I've no probs there. Lots of better songs. The UK entry wasn't great but what happened to her during the performance was absolutely terrible. This was a new low and perhaps a sign of whats to come as the contest spirals out of control.

Now as for the winner....I was on here last night slagging Netta off and I have no regrets. Is there really something wrong with slagging her off for her weight, looks and performance and those fooking eyeballs rolling around in her head? I don't think so. Then the song. It was absolute muck. I couldn't give a fiddlers that it was an Israeli winner. My gripe was with the song. performer and presentation. I can see why it won, but that just sums up the voting public across Europe, who treat this contest as a joke with a lot of seriously fooked up musical taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Bodhran wrote: »
    Lyrics of TOY
    English (Original)
    Look at me, I'm a beautiful creature
    I don’t care about your modern-time preachers
    Welcome boys, too much noise, I will teach you
    Pam pam pa hoo, Turram pam pa hoo

Hey, I think you forgot how to play
    My teddy bear's running away
    The Barbie got something to say: Hey! Hey! Hey!
    Hey! My "Simon says" leave me alone
    I'm taking my Pikachu home
    You're stupid just like your smart phone

Wonder woman, don't you ever forget
    You're divine and he's about to regret
    His baka-bakum, bak-bak bakumbai…

I’m not your toy
    You stupid boy
    I'll take you down
    I'll make you watch me
    Dancing with my dolls
    On the MadaBaka Beat
    Not your toy!

A-A-A-Ani Lo buba!
    Don't you go and play with me boy!
    A-A-A-Ani Lo buba!
    Don't you go and play… Shake!
    Kulului, Kulului, Ah, wedding bells ringing
    Kulului, Kulului, Ah, money man bling-bling
    I don't care about your 'stefa', baby
    Pam pam pa hoo, Turram pam pa hoo

Wonder woman, don't you ever forget
    You're divine and he's about to regret
    His baka-bakum…bak-bak bakumbai…

I’m not your toy
    You stupid boy
    I'll take you down
    I'll make you watch me
    Dancing with my dolls
    On the MadaBaka Beat
    Not your toy

Misandric filth, with some autistic chicken sounds thrown in .

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cagefactor

cinnamony wrote: »
    Are you sure?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPvUGXulCaX/?hl=en

Looks nothing like them :pac:

Definately her. She must have had some enhancements lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,127 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Remember the good ole days when the UK and Ireland would give each other twelve points every year?

:D

Remember the good ole days when the UK and Ireland would give each other twelve points every year?

:D

12 & 8 morelike :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Next year let's try a pop/dance song with a catchy chorus and an odd ball lunatic preforming it. It's not like we've anything to lose

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Next year let's try a pop/dance song with a catchy chorus and an odd ball lunatic preforming it. It's not like we've anything to lose

We have Dana anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

People across the pond are saying they should leave the competition, they say the same thing every year and then arrive back the following one.
    The disgraceful way their contestant was treated when she was singing should make them leave. Poor girl.

Should have been stopped right there and allowed to go again at the end.

EDIT: Seems was was in fact given the option to sing again and declined.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I burned my house down last night after Israel won. Well I tried but my more sensible wife stopped me.:D

However, I'll offer up my very honest and afterwards opinion on this years Eurovision. Ireland didn't deserve to win so I've no probs there. Lots of better songs. The UK entry wasn't great but what happened to her during the performance was absolutely terrible. This was a new low and perhaps a sign of whats to come as the contest spirals out of control.

Now as for the winner....I was on here last night slagging Netta off and I have no regrets. Is there really something wrong with slagging her off for her weight, looks and performance and those fooking eyeballs rolling around in her head? I don't think so. Then the song. It was absolute muck. I couldn't give a fiddlers that it was an Israeli winner. My gripe was with the song. performer and presentation. I can see why it won, but that just sums up the voting public across Europe, who treat this contest as a joke with a lot of seriously fooked up musical taste.

Yes, there is someone wrong with slagging her off purely because of her looks. Some of the comments on this thread last night were disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Jaysus, there's some level of misogyny from posters. Not everyone complaining, mind, I fully get a lot of people don't like the song and the style of music.

But the attacks on her looks? Wow. Horrid and toxic.

See ya next year.

But it's fine for her to spew her misandric bile ?

Advertisement