Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

2a5rsa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

thelad95 wrote: »
    More keyboard warriors knocking about and ‘free Palestinian idiots’ who probably don’t even have a passport such is their worldly knowledge!

Good one.....

In the time since there has been a movement through BDS that has brought the Palestine question to the fore. Gaza is an open air prison. If you protest for your right of return “to land that belongs to you by the way”, you will be shot in cold blood. Israel as a country has moved more to the right. The building of settlements on occupied lands has increased to a level that a Palestinian state is now no longer viable nor realistic.

That is just for starters. And by the way I have travelled all over the world and have educated myself in the process. Maybe you should too?

• Registered Users Posts: 72,127 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Jez it's the Eurovision, some would want to dial down the anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cagefactor

Kevcol wrote: »
    Anybody know the Swiss presenters name ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

leticia carvalho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

From the app, Audience votes for Ireland

Austria 4 points
    Germany 7 points
    Czech Republic 4 points
    Denmark 4 points
    Albania 7 points
    Netherlands 4 points
    Australia 8 points
    Spain 1 point
    UK 10 points
    Portugal 3 points
    Belgium 4 points
    Poland 2 points
    Romania 1 point
    San Marino 3 points

So we were never really in the running. Our public vote was
    12 - Lithuania
    10 - UK
    8 - Germany
    7 - Czech Republic
    6 - Israel
    5 - Cyprus
    4 - Estonia
    3 - Netherlands
    2- Denmark
    1 - Moldova

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

And the result of our semi final was
    1 - Israel
    2 - Cyprus
    3 - Czech Republic
    4 - Austria
    5 - Estonia
    6 - Ireland
    7 - Bulgaria
    8 - Albania
    9 - Lithuania
    10 - Finland
    11 - Azerbijian
    12 - Belgium
    13 - Switzerland
    14 - Greece
    15 - Armenia
    16- Belarus
    17 - Croatia
    18 - FYR Macedonia
    19 Iceland

So Ireland finished 6th in their semi-final and 16th in the grand final. Perfectly respectable placing, am happy to see us get our best finish since 2011. :)

Biggest disappointment for me was Portugal coming last; although I wasn't expecting a top ten finish it was my personal #1 song on the night and am really sad to see it go unappreciated. :( Biggest shock was France only coming in 13th, I really thought they were in with a shot. Also think Hungary deserved a much higher placing. On the flipside, I'm baffled as to how Denmark got such a high televote? And I'm still none the wiser about the appeal of Moldova. >_<;

With regards to Israel; this is a song contest at the end of the day, not a political contest. Israel wasn't my favourite on the night but it was in my top ten and I can't say it was an undeserving winner. It's a clever song in its own off-the-wall way, and while I feel bad for Cyrpus missing out on their first victory I have to say "Toy" is a better song than "Fuego" at the end of the day. I'm no fan of the Israeli government or the occupation of Palestine, but it's not as if Israel is the only EBU country guilty of human rights abuses: would we be talking about boycotting Eurovision if Russia/Belarus/Azerbaijan had qualified from the semis and won tonight? Hell, even if Israel nuked Palestine and Iran into sawdust they would still be far behind the UK in terms of historical human rights abuses, yet we'd all be more than happy to be in London next year if Surie had won! And so it should be, because Netta is no more responsible for her country's misdeeds than Surie is for hers! So I'm not onboard with this whole "boycott Eurovision next year" thing, even though I do think Netanyahu and his government are grade-A dickheads who need to be fúcked out of office asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

mailburner wrote: »
    remember those bookies who were going 10s on the uk
    their licence should be revoked

The bookies played top cynical mind games with the betting public by drastically dropping the odds for Ireland and the UK. They know well people love a bandwagon, especially when it comes to patriotism, so predicting that people would get sucked into betting on them when they felt their chances were hugely increasing (based on the odds drop) was top ploy.

gay Dancers or no gay dancers, stage invaders or not. Neither of them stood a chance really ever.

People just bought into the hype when they saw the odds dropping and a LOT of money was handed to the PP bank a/c over the last two days

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Spare a thought for Ryan guys, the world must be a very lonely place for him at the moment. An utterly disastrous showing.

From 3rd favourite to nowhere.

We're still proud of you Ryan, chin up chap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭corks finest

LizT wrote: »
    And the result of our semi final was
    1 - Israel
    2 - Cyprus
    3 - Czech Republic
    4 - Austria
    5 - Estonia
    6 - Ireland
    7 - Bulgaria
    8 - Albania
    9 - Lithuania
    10 - Finland
    11 - Azerbijian
    12 - Belgium
    13 - Switzerland
    14 - Greece
    15 - Armenia
    16- Belarus
    17 - Croatia
    18 - FYR Macedonia
    19 Iceland

Respectable though,good effort

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Spare a thought for Ryan guys, the world must be a very lonely place for him at the moment. An utterly disastrous showing.

Lol all the betting meant was a lot of stupid people parted with there money.

I'm sure he's doing grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

With regards to Israel; this is a song contest at the end of the day, not a political contest. Israel wasn't my favourite on the night but it was in my top ten and I can't say it was an undeserving winner. It's a clever song in its own off-the-wall way, and while I feel bad for Cyrpus missing out on their first victory I have to say "Toy" is a better song than "Fuego" at the end of the day. I'm no fan of the Israeli government or the occupation of Palestine, but it's not as if Israel is the only EBU country guilty of human rights abuses: would we be talking about boycotting Eurovision if Russia/Belarus/Azerbaijan had qualified from the semis and won tonight? Hell, even if Israel nuked Palestine and Iran into sawdust they would still be far behind the UK in terms of historical human rights abuses, yet we'd all be more than happy to be in London next year if Surie had won! And so it should be, because Netta is no more responsible for her country's misdeeds than Surie is for hers! So I'm not onboard with this whole "boycott Eurovision next year" thing, even though I do think Netanyahu and his government are grade-A dickheads who need to be fúcked out of office asap.

I'm torn between agreeing with you, and not quite being able to.
    I'm normally well able to forget about politics, but it did bother me to vote for Netta even though I thought she was the obvious winner.
    Good for her as a person anyway, and deserved from a Eurovision strictly song contest point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Are you for real? He done far better than anyone would have thought going into this week.

And I doubt he was stupid enough to get sucked ito the cynical bookie odds hype like so many.

I would say he is as high as a kite right now.

"Lonely place" :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

LizT wrote: »
    From the app, Audience votes for Ireland

Austria 4 points
    Germany 7 points
    Czech Republic 4 points
    Denmark 4 points
    Albania 7 points
    Netherlands 4 points
    Australia 8 points
    Spain 1 point
    UK 10 points
    Portugal 3 points
    Belgium 4 points
    Poland 2 points
    Romania 1 point
    San Marino 3 points

So we were never really in the running. Our public vote was
    12 - Lithuania
    10 - UK
    8 - Germany
    7 - Czech Republic
    6 - Israel
    5 - Cyprus
    4 - Estonia
    3 - Netherlands
    2- Denmark
    1 - Moldova

Clearly showing that immigrants vote for their home country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭mistersifter

With regards to Israel; this is a song contest at the end of the day, not a political contest. Israel wasn't my favourite on the night but it was in my top ten and I can't say it was an undeserving winner. It's a clever song in its own off-the-wall way .

A clever little gimmick with the chicken thing and weird noises maybe, but that will get old very fast. It's novelty songwriting. Dustin the turkey gear.

The actual lyrics are not great, not that eurovision songs tend to be good in that way. But thematically it's at its most annoying. The whole hating on men thing is just boring at this stage if you ask me. "look at me i'm an independent woman and Im having a great laugh with the girls so screw you for cheating on me" (give it a rest, will ya, ya sound desperate)

Also, it has no melody to speak of and this is probably the most important factor in songwriting if you ask me.

Not a good song.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

The bookies played top cynical mind games with the betting public by drastically dropping the odds for Ireland and the UK. They know well people love a bandwagon, especially when it comes to patriotism, so predicting that people would get sucked into betting on them when they felt their chances were hugely increasing (based on the odds drop) was top ploy.

gay Dancers or no gay dancers, stage invaders or not. Neither of them stood a chance really ever.

People just bought into the hype when they saw the odds dropping and a LOT of money was handed to the PP bank a/c over the last two days

spot on, long time betting myself so have seen it all and have been sucked in myself in the early days
    the odds on both the uk and ireland were hilarious, too many folks just don't bet with their heads but what casual bettor does I suppose
    I pointed it out here that israel were as short as evens a couple of weeks back and were 13/2 after the semis, that was value if nothing else and the song was different even though I wasnt a fan I thought it would do well.
    i lost a few quid on estonia, germany at 33s cost me a top three place by two points but at least i got a few quid off israel
    we were odds on to be in the top five this morning (1.73) I wanted to lay us but after qualifying and eurov being eurov you just never know

saying that I was telling everyone we wouldn't even qualify

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

We should pull out of this junkfest. Referendum on repeal of the Eurovision anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

He did great sure, there's a lot of us out here who don't pay heed in any shape or form to odds or bets or whatnots, so whatever he got he got, and fair play to him, the composer, and the dancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

So the three highest public votes we received were 10 from the UK, 8 from Australia and 7 from Germany, you’d nearly swear there is a large Irish expat community who are voting for their home country... oh wait..

However, Albania giving us 7 is bizarre!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

Seems the days of Eurovision being about the best song or performance on the night are confined to history. I mean ffs does everything nowadays have to carry some kind of political statement. Estonia/Germany/Norway/Austria/Sweden, even Czech Republic's songs would have won if it were really about the actual song and not feminism/#metoo/Palestine/LBGTQ.

Getting a bit emotional now folks.

What in Jaysus name went wrong?

We're all very upset here at that showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

11 countries were given extra security at the Eurovision as they were worried about an ISIS attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

A clever little gimmick with the chicken thing and weird noises maybe, but that will get old very fast. It's novelty songwriting. Dustin the turkey gear.

The actual lyrics are not great, not that eurovision songs tend to be good in that way. But thematically it's at its most annoying. The whole hating on men thing is just boring at this stage if you ask me. "look at me i'm an independent woman and Im having a great laugh with the girls so screw you for cheating on me" (give it a rest, will ya, ya sound desperate)

Also, it has no melody to speak of and this is probably the most important factor in songwriting if you ask me.

Not a good song.

Unfortunately, a lot of songs tend to lack melody these days. :(

It's all about screaming your head off or talking into a mic, autotuning your voice completely to rhythmic music with no life to it.

I'm torn between agreeing with you, and not quite being able to.
    I'm normally well able to forget about politics, but it did bother me to vote for Netta even though I thought she was the obvious winner.
    Good for her as a person anyway, and deserved from a Eurovision strictly song contest point of view.

That's perfectly fair, and I understand that the recent incidents on the Gaza border, with the IDF shooting Palestinian protestors as if they were no more than clay pigeons, certainly leaves a very sour taste. What I have an issue with is people assigning the mindset of "Palestinians are subhumans who deserve to be shot" to be representative of 8 million+ Israeli people, when Israel is a complicated country with a very fractured political system that has multiple diverse opinions.

Basically:
    Fúck Netanyahu and Likud.
    Fúck Hamas.
    Fúck right-wing idolisation of Israel.
    Fúck ongoing settlements by Israel of Palestinian land.
    Fúck those who conflate legitimate criticism of the Israeli government as being anti-semitic.
    Fúck those who call for the destruction of Israel with zero regard for its ordinary citizens.
    Fúck those who see the Israel-Palestine conflict as a black and white issue where you have to be completely pro-one side and anti-the other side without recognising the many grey areas in between.
    Fúck anything other than a peaceful two-state solution.....

.....so yeah, this is a non-political song contest right? :pac::P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

I remember when eurovision was about a good singer with a good song entering the competition. Public would have 3 favourites and always loved who won. No underhanded tactics. No choreographers looking for fame. No political agendas. No PCBRIGADE influencers. No block voting ignoring singers from certain countries. No lgbtqwxyz activists either. I used to enjoy it in the olden days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭mistersifter

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Unfortunately, a lot of songs tend to lack melody these days. :(

It's all about screaming your head off or talking into a mic, autotuning your voice completely to rhythmic music with no life to it.

agreed.

And in fairness to Ireland tonight, at least we went there with a crafted song and not just some gimmick-ridden track dependent on production.

We're at our lowest when we're sending dustin the turkey or jedward in there as if to say "if you cant beat em, join em".

As bad as Eurovision is, Ireland have always won it with melodic songs and we should always stick to this value. I'd rather see us finish last with a well crafted acoustic tune than see us win the thing by bowing down to some stupid trend set by countries with a terrible taste for gimmicky cheese.

I feel like punching the door. So upset at the moment.

Spare a thought for Marty also, you could tell from the tremor in his voice that the man was broken inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

So Ireland finished 6th in their semi-final and 16th in the grand final. Perfectly respectable placing, am happy to see us get our best finish since 2011. :)

Biggest disappointment for me was Portugal coming last; although I wasn't expecting a top ten finish it was my personal #1 song on the night and am really sad to see it go unappreciated. :( Biggest shock was France only coming in 13th, I really thought they were in with a shot. Also think Hungary deserved a much higher placing. On the flipside, I'm baffled as to how Denmark got such a high televote? And I'm still none the wiser about the appeal of Moldova. >_<;

With regards to Israel; this is a song contest at the end of the day, not a political contest. Israel wasn't my favourite on the night but it was in my top ten and I can't say it was an undeserving winner. It's a clever song in its own off-the-wall way, and while I feel bad for Cyrpus missing out on their first victory I have to say "Toy" is a better song than "Fuego" at the end of the day..

not a fan of it either but I agree with that 100%

I liked the danish song..the moldovan song on the other hand...well anyone could have wrote that song..sounded the same and hundreds of other eurovosion or just euro songs with no melody or nothing really going for it that i can hear

portugese song was pleasant but forgettable for me, baffled by the how well the austrian act did in the jury vote

I hated our song, we did well and can have no complaints but the uk song I didn't like at all or the swedish song

so obviously austria winning the jury vote shocked me but moldova and especially italy doing so well in the televote a bigger shock
    I'm listening to the italian song and I'm wondering how that could be in anyones top three :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I feel like punching the door. So upset at the moment.

Spare a thought for Marty also, you could tell from the tremor in his voice that the man was broken inside.

Lol just go to bed.

Advertisement