Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Flying Fox wrote: »
    UK didn't actually come last, they finished above Finland and Portugal.
    Yeah I thought that as well. But the poster i was answering said they came last.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

The bookies odds for the ESC on the other hand is much more of a unpredictable minefield. It should not give an overall influence in how the public votes pan out to the countries in the end through the various stages of the competition because it is a subjective voting process. There could be people who were sly enough to place bets out there without giving an actual vote to the contest on the nights in question that aired on TV, radio & online. They could count as potential lost votes to countries for trying to win a place in the final or to win the overall competition. The only influence that really counts here to actually win the ESC is from the public through official votes by phone lines, text or the Eurovision App.

Ireland were 3rd favourite to win before the final even aired tonight through bookies odds. How could so many people here could be duped with that betting rubbish. It was obvious when the competition progressed overtime earlier tonight to allow Israel to become the winner for this year. Ireland's placing slid down the ranks to 16th position. That should not make any actual sense at all from a viewers point of view in how they watched Eurovision as it announced Israel as the winner for this year. It just baffles your mind. Placing bets on the ESC should not give an overall bearing to me in how the songs were placed for that year in the competition. This betting rubbish is completely irrelevant to me for Eurovision anyway until I officially vote with my texts to my favourite songs for that year.

a lot of patriotic betting along with a little controversy caused folks to get carried away and the bookies capitalised where ireland were concerned
    the odds on the uk were laughable and more so that folks backed them thinking they might get a sympathy vote because of what happened

as usual they were right with the top two in the betting filling the top two spots

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Disappointed Israel won, not because of any politics, I just thought the song was ****e

Think Ryan's performance seemed off, he sounded off key for a lot of the high notes particularly towards the end. Whether that affected the voting I'm not sure, I did like the song though and was happy to qualify.

Really enjoyed Germany, Lithuania and Austria, and would've liked one of those to win. Wasn't a big fan of the Cypriot song but enjoyed the performance for obvious reasons.

Overall a decent Eurovision. I still think 2014 was the best one in recent memory however.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I don't get how Ireland did decent this year but Ryan Dolan finished last 5 years ago, he was a better singer and had a better song though I suppose you would drive yourself mad if you tried to make sense of Eurovision.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Congrats to Israel for winning Eurovision. I didn't vote for Israel at all during this year's Eurovision. I guess hoards of people living around Europe & Australia were thinking that this song would win it on the night & luckily they were right. This result shows us the nature of how Eurovision actually works in reality. It is an unpredictable beast with how the public get to vote for the big prize. And that is competing against each other to host the ESC for at least one year in front of the public & the juries.

The bookies odds for the ESC on the other hand is much more of a unpredictable minefield. It should not give an overall influence in how the public votes pan out to the countries in the end through the various stages of the competition because it is a subjective voting process. There could be people who were sly enough to place bets out there without giving an actual vote to the contest on the nights in question that aired on TV, radio & online. They could count as potential lost votes to countries for trying to win a place in the final or to win the overall competition. The only influence that really counts here to actually win the ESC is from the public through official votes by phone lines, text or the Eurovision App.

Ireland were 3rd favourite to win before the final even aired tonight through bookies odds. How could so many people here could be duped with that betting rubbish. It was obvious when the competition progressed overtime earlier tonight to allow Israel to become the winner for this year. Ireland's placing slid down the ranks to 16th position. That should not make any actual sense at all from a viewers point of view in how they watched Eurovision as it announced Israel as the winner for this year. It just baffles your mind. Placing bets on the ESC should not give an overall bearing to me in how the songs were placed for that year in the competition. This betting rubbish is completely irrelevant to me for Eurovision anyway until I officially vote with my texts to my favourite songs for that year.

This bookies thing.

Why are people going on about them? Ireland were only 3rd favourites due to the market and people backed them. It is not a reflection of the real chances it's a market price that ensures the bookies make money.

Bookies are much bigger in Ireland and UK than the rest of Europe so I don't th ink people in other countries thought Ireland were the 3rd favourites.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I thought the dancers did well but the Irish song itself was extremely poor. The UK only marginally better. Like the rest of Ireland and the UK I was routing for Lithuania. It must have just suited people's tastes in this part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

The most disappointing Eurovision I've ever watched in terms of song quality.

The only two songs that stood out for me were Spain and Denmark.

Spain were absolutely robbed though - how did that song only come 23d? I thought it was the obvious winner, so I clearly have no idea anymore. I used to be pretty good at calling who would win or do well, but none of the songs that were voted into the top spots were even on my radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Yeah yeah fire

Christ Twitter HATES Isreal!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

This was a classic example of the disconnect between eurovision of the old system and the new system. Austria was actually a song and Israel was a performance. One won the jury vote where the actual song is taken into account and the other won based on promotion, performance and platform.

I'll be listening to the former in future. It's a gem. Israel as an entry was grand but to win is an embarrassment. But that's what happens when you let the public vote. Wasn't it introduced to stop the block voting? That still happens but in the long run the best sing typically won out. Now the public can vote up to twenty times for a song so it's lucrative and will stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

There's only one good thing to be said for the Eurovision....it's over!

AAAAAAnnd you don't have to watch it if you don't like it.
    But that's a detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

cagefactor wrote: »
    leticia carvalho

Are you sure?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPvUGXulCaX/?hl=en

Looks nothing like them :pac:

Guess what song is stuck in my head this morning?

I know
    I know what you must be thinking
    That we are
    Powerless to change things
    But don't, don't give up
    'Cause we got love

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Next years Eurovision will be an interesting one to watch.

It will give the looney left something to do as well for the next 12 months telling us we should boycott the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

mailburner wrote:
    buy why? I find this pretty sad even though I didn't like the song

It is quite pathetic isn't it.

I agree with the rest of the post though

I doubt any SJW's will rush up on stage next year, you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of the IDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Italy - last all night on the jury vote, and end up finishing 5th

Moldova - finished 10th!!

As a weird Italian (one who doesn't have the "they should win because they're Italian" mentality), I'm usually extremely critical of Italian acts at the EV - more often than not they're plainly embarrassing. These guys, however, had a good song with an actual message, It's surprising they've been last in the jury vote.

Yeah, it could be argued the song "rides an emotional wave", as it's inspired by the Manchester terror attack.

But then this pile of cow manure wins it:
    Bodhran wrote: »
    Lyrics of TOY
    English (Original)
    Look at me, I'm a beautiful creature
    I don’t care about your modern-time preachers
    Welcome boys, too much noise, I will teach you
    Pam pam pa hoo, Turram pam pa hoo

Hey, I think you forgot how to play
    My teddy bear's running away
    The Barbie got something to say: Hey! Hey! Hey!
    Hey! My "Simon says" leave me alone
    I'm taking my Pikachu home
    You're stupid just like your smart phone

Wonder woman, don't you ever forget
    You're divine and he's about to regret
    His baka-bakum, bak-bak bakumbai…

I’m not your toy
    You stupid boy
    I'll take you down
    I'll make you watch me
    Dancing with my dolls
    On the MadaBaka Beat
    Not your toy!

A-A-A-Ani Lo buba!
    Don't you go and play with me boy!
    A-A-A-Ani Lo buba!
    Don't you go and play… Shake!
    Kulului, Kulului, Ah, wedding bells ringing
    Kulului, Kulului, Ah, money man bling-bling
    I don't care about your 'stefa', baby
    Pam pam pa hoo, Turram pam pa hoo

Wonder woman, don't you ever forget
    You're divine and he's about to regret
    His baka-bakum…bak-bak bakumbai…

I’m not your toy
    You stupid boy
    I'll take you down
    I'll make you watch me
    Dancing with my dolls
    On the MadaBaka Beat
    Not your toy

I don't care where this song comes from or who sings it - this is utter sh1t, period. It just rides the horse of the "PC theme of the week".

Try_harder wrote: »
    Guess what song is stuck in my head this morning?

I know
    I know what you must be thinking
    That we are
    Powerless to change things
    But don't, don't give up
    'Cause we got love

I'm still amazed it was bottom of the televote. I do think the staging could have been better and all that stomping was possibly a bit off putting. Still deserved to be much higher though.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭LennieB

The most disappointing Eurovision I've ever watched in terms of song quality.

The only two songs that stood out for me were Spain and Denmark.

Spain were absolutely robbed though - how did that song only come 23d? I thought it was the obvious winner, so I clearly have no idea anymore. I used to be pretty good at calling who would win or do well, but none of the songs that were voted into the top spots were even on my radar.

Same here, I voted for Spain as was one that really stood out for me, surprised it didn't do better - I said it last night but I think the clip they play during the playback of all the songs during the voting has a big influence on the public vote - the clip they played of Israel was the only catchy part of the song , rest of song was terrible and e.g. Lithuania they played the very end of the song which was strange as it didn't represent the song at all.

Can we all laugh at those that hyped Ireland as a possible contender- esp the Indo

• Advertisement

There hasn't been a good winner IMO since Lordi back in 2006.

It's all gone PC these days with boring acts trying to be "inclusive" and having a "message".

It's meant to be light hearted entertainment, not a political forum.

It's all gone PC these days with boring acts trying to be "inclusive" and having a "message".

1944 was far from PC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

What a crap winning song.

Ireland's song was better for me. The song was in my head all week.

I've no issue with the way the Israel woman dressed but I'm surprised the cultural appropriation idiots haven't moaned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Twitter hates anything against their agenda. Can't be happy for the girl because he clothes were "Japanese" and because she is from Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

NDWC wrote: »
    Disappointed Israel won, not because of any politics, I just thought the song was ****e

Think Ryan's performance seemed off, he sounded off key for a lot of the high notes particularly towards the end. Whether that affected the voting I'm not sure, I did like the song though and was happy to qualify.

Really enjoyed Germany, Lithuania and Austria, and would've liked one of those to win. Wasn't a big fan of the Cypriot song but enjoyed the performance for obvious reasons.

Overall a decent Eurovision. I still think 2014 was the best one in recent memory however.

How can a tiny island like Cyprus with a fifth of the population of Ireland put out a singer with a strong beautiful voice and a stage routine second to none while year in year out Ireland churn out mediocre and pathetic singers and stage routines.
    Listening to O’Shaughnessy last night was listening to a sick tomcat whining at midnight. Unprofessional dirge. Exactly the same story for 20 years. Dervish, Jedwar, Dustin. Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The last "good" winner to me was Emmelie de Forest with her 'Only Teardrops' song in 2013.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yeah wasn't it great to see girl from UK who was terrorised on the stage coming last. Glad you enjoyed it pal.
    #BlameBrexit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

"Twitter" loved Israel's entry until it won. Social media hates a winner or generally anything positive. I am not saying the song is in any way commendable, but I said on this very forum the minute I heard it, it would be a winner. I knew well it would attract huge attention and votes. Obviously it is ridiculous but sometimes people buy into ridiculous.

The people on twitter are the very people who hyped up the song and talked about it, made it viral and ensured votes, many of the "twitter population" indeed voting for it.

But once the score is settled, the aftermath kicks in.

The begrudgery. A lot of people hated it from day one but without twitter and other social media like FB and youtube, the song wouldn't have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I wonder do other countries hate and criticise their own song entry every year as much as the Irish do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

EPAndlee wrote: »
    I wonder do other countries hate and criticise their own song entry every year as much as the Irish do

I wouldn't say this years entry was hated in any sense of the word. In fact PP cynically latched on to the "positive" vibes once we progressed and manipulated the public into thinking the song was in with a chance by drastically reducing the odds to brainwash people into thinking it had a chance of winning, ensuring they could boost their bank a/c massively at the expense of naive, bandwagon betters

But no, we generally take the competition far too seriously given our "rich history" in it.

People don't seem to realise the competition has completely evolved. So either roll with it or not.

Advertisement