Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

That's perfectly fair, and I understand that the recent incidents on the Gaza border, with the IDF shooting Palestinian protestors as if they were no more than clay pigeons, certainly leaves a very sour taste. What I have an issue with is people assigning the mindset of "Palestinians are subhumans who deserve to be shot" to be representative of 8 million+ Israeli people, when Israel is a complicated country with a very fractured political system that has multiple diverse opinions.

Basically:
    Fúck Netanyahu and Likud.
    Fúck Hamas.
    Fúck right-wing idolisation of Israel.
    Fúck ongoing settlements by Israel of Palestinian land.
    Fúck those who conflate legitimate criticism of the Israeli government as being anti-semitic.
    Fúck those who call for the destruction of Israel with zero regard for its ordinary citizens.
    Fúck those who see the Israel-Palestine conflict as a black and white issue where you have to be completely pro-one side and anti-the other side without recognising the many grey areas in between.
    Fúck anything other than a peaceful two-state solution.....

.....so yeah, this is a non-political song contest right? :pac::P

ukraine same as a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

RobertKK wrote: »
    11 countries were given extra security at the Eurovision as they were worried about an ISIS attack.
    So what happened to poor girl from UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Lol just go to bed.
    No, l'm too upset at the moment to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Spare a thought for Ryan guys, the world must be a very lonely place for him at the moment. An utterly disastrous showing.

From 3rd favourite to nowhere.

We're still proud of you Ryan, chin up chap.
    Getting a bit emotional now folks.

What in Jaysus name went wrong?

We're all very upset here at that showing.
    I feel like punching the door. So upset at the moment.

Spare a thought for Marty also, you could tell from the tremor in his voice that the man was broken inside.
    No, l'm too upset at the moment to sleep.

Firmly established you are taking the pi$$ now I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Irish song was a gimmick for gay brigade, without the 2 boys it would have been near last.

As for Kermit's girlfriend give me a break#me three

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

agreed.

And in fairness to Ireland tonight, at least we went there with a crafted song and not just some gimmick-ridden track dependent on production.

We're at our lowest when we're sending dustin the turkey or jedward in there as if to say "if you cant beat em, join em".

As bad as Eurovision is, Ireland have always won it with melodic songs and we should always stick to this value. I'd rather see us finish last with a well crafted acoustic tune than see us win the thing by bowing down to some stupid trend set by countries with a terrible taste for gimmicky cheese.

It shouldn't come to any surprise that I loathe Israel's song as I tend to hate a lot of "popular" things and I consider all the rubbish overrated as fck. To me, the real dark age of music came from late 2015 onwards. 2014 and 2015 were very meh but 2016..... my god was atrocious. 2016 is my personal least favourite year in a lot of cases and I hope to not see a year like it again though I don't hold my breath.

Denmark's 2011 entry is still my favourite Eurovision song of the 2010s so far.

Irish song was a gimmick for gay brigade, without the 2 boys it would have been near last.

So are you saying if Irelands song had a guy and a girl dancing they would have fared worse in the voting ?. Strange I think it may have fared better myself. Also why so much emphasis on the backing dancers anyway. It's supposed to be a song competition. ?

how did finland finish second last..
    I give up trying to figure out this :o

So are you saying if Irelands song had a guy and a girl dancing they would have fared worse in the voting ?. Strange I think it may have fared better myself. Also why so much emphasis on the backing dancers anyway. It's supposed to be a song competition. ?

there's little doubt there it would have finished lower if it even qualified
    I doubt anyone would agree otherwise

its the eurovision

Undoubtedly it would have done worse, any man that was talked to in audience was gay.

• Advertisement

mailburner wrote: »

its the eurovision
    So the song and singer wernt good enough to get through on their own. Is that what your saying??? To a song competition ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I thought of that after my last post actually.

It's weird because the song itself has nothing to do with the dance. The song is about a break up, but the dance shows two blokes mad into each other.

The dance was a bit gimmicky but the song itself wasn't.

It was like they wrote a song and then thought "sh*t, we need some sort of bandwagon here , lets get two lads holding hands while we sing".

Undoubtedly it would have done worse, any man that was talked to in audience was gay.
    But surely all the voters wernt gay as well? Or were they?

So the song and singer wernt good enough to get through on their own. Is that what your saying??? To a song competition ?

I'm saying the song would have done well to qualify and would have finished lower

he's well able to sing

come on now, its the eurovision
    have you never watched the eurovision before or are your trolling?

its more than a song competiton obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cagefactor

Australia got the lowest public vote. Mind boggling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭mistersifter

yes, it should be about the song. but regardless of the gender of the dancers - how did the love story of the dance reflect the song? It didnt really, which would suggest that they just wanted to put the gay lads in there dancing. Why not have the two gay fellas battering each other to reflect the song?!

you said we'd be together til we died - so take that ya bastard --- whack*!

its the eurovision

Not a big follower of Eurovision but even I know to won it now it's more than just the song

• Registered Users Posts: 54,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Our song was just too tame. Nice little number, but no oomph, pizazz or energy...

walshb wrote: »
    Our song was just too tame. Nice little number, but no oomph, pizazz or energy...
    agreed
    it had very little going for it

who's going to even remember that song in 3 months?
    instantly forgettable for me

but saying that probably better than some of our more recent efforts

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

cagefactor wrote: »
    Australia got the lowest public vote. Mind boggling

The public vote is dominated by the kind of music fans that made the Crazy Frog song number one in the charts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

but saying that probably better than some of our more recent efforts

I mean, not much competition there :P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

not a fan of it either but I agree with that 100%

I liked the danish song..the moldovan song on the other hand...well anyone could have wrote that song..sounded the same and hundreds of other eurovosion or just euro songs with no melody or nothing really going for it that i can hear

portugese song was pleasant but forgettable for me, baffled by the how well the austrian act did in the jury vote

I hated our song, we did well and can have no complaints but the uk song I didn't like at all or the swedish song

so obviously austria winning the jury vote shocked me but moldova and especially italy doing so well in the televote a bigger shock
    I'm listening to the italian song and I'm wondering how that could be in anyones top three :confused:

I went for Denmark at big odds, thought the song was catchy, the singer never helped the cause though..
    My kids told me Israel all the way, unfortunately, they were right..
    Thats the 2 I backed..

Sweden, I thought was so poor, how it ended out in front after the jury vote, is beyond belief.

Love seeing the Uk coming last but I thought their song not too bad and if had been sang by scandanavian country, would have done a lot better..

Here's something interesting: despite winning the televote tonight, Israel only came 4th in the televote in Tuesday night's semi-final! :eek: Cyprus won that televote, with Czech Republic coming 2nd and Estonia finishing 3rd. I guess a lot of viewers in countries in Semi-Final 2, who couldn't vote for Israel then, voted for them in the final.

Incidentally, Ireland came 6th with the televoters and 7th 8th with the juries in the semi-final, giving a 6th place finish overall.

If it was 100% televoting, Greece (10th) would have made the final over Albania (11th).
    If it was 100% juries, then Belgium (9th) and Switzerland (10th) would have qualified over Lithuania (11th) and Finland (15th!)

For Semi Final 2, a 100% televote would have seen Poland (10th) qualify over The Netherlands (12th).
    A 100% jury vote would have made a big difference to the final: Malta (5th), Latvia (6th) and Romania (8th) would all have qualified ahead of Serbia (11th), Denmark (12th) and Hungary (13th).

Denmark actually won the televote in Semi-2 (for reasons beyond my comprehension) though Norway won it overall (also for reasons beyond my comprehension!because Alexander Rybak)

I'm saying the song would have done well to qualify and would have finished lower

he's well able to sing

come on now, its the eurovision
    have you never watched the eurovision before or are your trolling?

its more than a song competiton obviously
    Not trolling. Obviously watched eurovision before numerous times. But always thought it was a about a singer singing a good song to win. Not about backing dancers and choreographers. Thanks for explaining. Didn't realise the backing dancers sexual preferences pushed the song through the semi finals. Thanks so much for up date.

raiders11 wrote: »
    not a fan of it either but I agree with that 100%

I liked the danish song..the moldovan song on the other hand...well anyone could have wrote that song..sounded the same and hundreds of other eurovosion or just euro songs with no melody or nothing really going for it that i can hear

portugese song was pleasant but forgettable for me, baffled by the how well the austrian act did in the jury vote

I hated our song, we did well and can have no complaints but the uk song I didn't like at all or the swedish song

so obviously austria winning the jury vote shocked me but moldova and especially italy doing so well in the televote a bigger shock
    I'm listening to the italian song and I'm wondering how that could be in anyones top three :confused:

I went for Denmark at big odds, thought the song was catchy, the singer never helped the cause though..
    Thats the 2 I backed..

Sweden, I thought was so poor, how it ended out in front after the jury vote, is beyond belief.

Love seeing the Uk coming last but I thought their song not too bad and if had been sang by scandanavian country, would have done a lot better..
    Yeah wasn't it great to see girl from UK who was terrorised on the stage coming last. Glad you enjoyed it pal.

Not trolling. Obviously watched eurovision before numerous times. But always thought it was a about a singer singing a good song to win. Not about backing dancers and choreographers. Thanks for explaining. Didn't realise the backing dancers sexual preferences pushed the song through the semi finals. Thanks so much for up date.

it used to be about the song and nothing else
    its more political nowadays, i'm sure you know this but your post sounds very condescending anyways

UK didn't actually come last, they finished above Finland and Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Congrats to Israel for winning Eurovision. I didn't vote for Israel at all during this year's Eurovision. I guess hoards of people living around Europe & Australia were thinking that this song would win it on the night & luckily they were right. This result shows us the nature of how Eurovision actually works in reality. It is an unpredictable beast with how the public get to vote for the big prize. And that is competing against each other to host the ESC for at least one year in front of the public & the juries.

The bookies odds for the ESC on the other hand is much more of a unpredictable minefield. It should not give an overall influence in how the public votes pan out to the countries in the end through the various stages of the competition because it is a subjective voting process. There could be people who were sly enough to place bets out there without giving an actual vote to the contest on the nights in question that aired on TV, radio & online. They could count as potential lost votes to countries for trying to win a place in the final or to win the overall competition. The only influence that really counts here to actually win the ESC is from the public through official votes by phone lines, text or the Eurovision App.

Ireland were 3rd favourite to win before the final even aired tonight through bookies odds. How could so many people here could be duped with that betting rubbish. It was obvious when the competition progressed overtime earlier tonight to allow Israel to become the winner for this year. Ireland's placing slid down the ranks to 16th position. That should not make any actual sense at all from a viewers point of view in how they watched Eurovision as it announced Israel as the winner for this year. It just baffles your mind. Placing bets on the ESC should not give an overall bearing to me in how the songs were placed for that year in the competition. This betting rubbish is completely irrelevant to me for Eurovision anyway until I officially vote with my texts to my favourite songs for that year.

raiders11 wrote: »
    Thats the 2 I backed..

buy why?
    I find this pretty sad even though I didn't like the song
    Yeah wasn't it great to see girl from UK who was terrorised on the stage coming last. Glad you enjoyed it pal.

doubt that had anything to do with it tbh or maybe I'm wrong
    some here still hate the english and just can't help themselves :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

There's only one good thing to be said for the Eurovision....it's over!

Advertisement