Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Revolut physical card (normally €6)

Options

Comments

okidoki987 wrote: »
    You sure about that?
    I've never paid them a bean and they are not issued in ROI so not sure how they
    would have the need to?

With the 2016 budget, stamp duty is now the 12 cent you got get charged with each ATM withdrawal, up to a maximum of €5 per year. And yes you get charged it.

If you don't use the card for ATM withdrawals, you naturally won't pay stamp duty.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

You sure about that?
    I've never paid them a bean and they are not issued in ROI so not sure how they
    would have the need to?

If a ROI resident withdraws funds from a ROI ATM with an ATM or debit card, they are charged 12c (up to €2.50/€5 a year).

It doesn't matter if the card-issuer is based in ROI or not. Revolut complies with this obligation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

If I transfer my euro to another currency when I go to the ATM to take money out will it know where to take the money from? Or does it give options?

Jet Black wrote: »
    If I transfer my euro to another currency when I go to the ATM to take money out will it know where to take the money from? Or does it give options?

It's automatic. If you have enough of the currency you're withdrawing, it'll take from that. Otherwise, it'll take from your euro wallet if there's enough there. Failing that, it'll take from any other currency wallet that there's enough in.

If you don't have enough in any one currency wallet to cover the withdrawal, it'll fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

If you have signed up you can get a free card (the new Visa card they issue themselves) via this link:

https://revolut.typeform.com/to/ZGpswx

Signed up for this but support said that promo ended a while back so, who knows what'll happen!

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Rockin

Shlippery wrote: »
    Signed up for this but support said that promo ended a while back so, who knows what'll happen!

:pac:

Same, they didn't have a clue what I was talking about !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Got the below mail today.
    Didn't think I was one of their early customers either.
    Revolut launched in 2015 with a punchy mission: to change the face of banking forever.
    We’ve come a long way since sharing a tiny 6 person workspace in London. Fast forward to today, and we’re a team of over 300 strong with more than 1m customers across Europe!
    As our way of saying thanks for being one of our early customers, we wanted to provide you with a shiny, new contactless Revolut Visa card for free!
    You can even keep your old Revolut card linked to your account as a spare, just in case you need it.
    Simply hit the button below to order your free card today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I also got a free card today for being with them since the start. Nice touch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Didn't get the email but ordered through the link on post 385 seemed to go through successfully

• Registered Users Posts: 13,680 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I'm holding small but nice crypto profits on it without the hassle of wallets and exchanges.

Is the crypto aspect a good way to trade BitCoin or are you losing out much compared to the traditional ways of trading?

Just seems a lot easier to do it via the Revolut app than setting up something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭17togo

okidoki987 wrote:
    Had to do it last night for one of the offspring, free card when depositing €50.

I just signed up yesterday too but only had to deposit 10euro?! Did you sign up for a fancy premium card or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

No bog standard card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

No bog standard card.

When this deal originally came out they wanted me to deposit 100e. I left it and yesterday logged in only wanted 10e for the card

okidoki987 wrote:
    No bog standard card.

I think I remember they had autofilled 50euro in the box for deposits but I just changed it to 10. Sure you'll just be able to transfer it back again anyway I assume!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭cython

17togo wrote: »
    I think I remember they had autofilled 50euro in the box for deposits but I just changed it to 10. Sure you'll just be able to transfer it back again anyway I assume!

Don't think you can wire it out as such, but nothing stopping you just spending it from the card, obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

10 is the minimum deposit. I've messed up my conversions by a few euro and had to deposit the 10

cython wrote: »
    Don't think you can wire it out as such, but nothing stopping you just spending it from the card, obviously!

Yes, you can do transfers from Revolut to your, or anybody else's, bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭evostik

I'm going to New York shortly and was planning to convert some EUR to USD on the Revolut App and then withdraw cash using an ATM in the US rather than go to my local bank and get dollars before I travel. Will this work okay or am I missing something here?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

evostik wrote: »
    I'm going to New York shortly and was planning to convert some EUR to USD on the Revolut App and then withdraw cash using an ATM in the US rather than go to my local bank and get dollars before I travel. Will this work okay or am I missing something here?

Thanks.

When I went to New York a few months back I exchanged a set amount in the post office and then when I ran out which I had planned I just used the card to pay for items.

I wouldn't 100% rely on this card as it can have problems which happened a while back. It rarely happens though but if it did you would be stuck if you were to reply 100% on this card.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 coolbreeze72

Thanks.

That'll work. That's what I do when travelling to UK...convert from EUR to GBP in the App and withdraw or use the card to purchases items in the UK in GBP. I use this card almost daily in Ireland and UK and have rarely had any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

And the converting in advance bit isn't even necessary, just gets you a slightly better rate at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Thanks.

Note their ATM fair usage policy at https://www.revolut.com/ie/fairusage?lang=en
    Some discussion about it at https://community.revolut.com/t/fair-usage-atm-withdrawal-fees/7704

There is also a weekend surcharge of 0.5% if an FX conversion is required.

Plenty of discusion at https://community.revolut.com/c/travelling

And finally, some ATMs charge withdrawal fees. I use https://atmhero.net/countries/ but they don't cover the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭long_b

blobbie wrote: »
    Note their ATM fair usage policy at https://www.revolut.com/ie/fairusage?lang=en
    Some discussion about it at https://community.revolut.com/t/fair-usage-atm-withdrawal-fees/7704

There is also a weekend surcharge of 0.5% if an FX conversion is required.

Plenty of discusion at https://community.revolut.com/c/travelling

And finally, some ATMs charge withdrawal fees. I use https://atmhero.net/countries/ but they don't cover the US.

ATM withdrawals

Free ATM withdrawals up to £200/€200 per month.
    Anything over is charged 2%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I signed up in early Dec, but only today got around to adding the €10 and verifying my account. I have also requested a physical card. However I can't for the life of me see how to add more money now? I've had a look at the you tube video, but the options at the bottom of the screen for me are completely different... When I log in I have 'accounts, analytics, a pink circle with two arrows, cards and more'. I've tried all of them and can't see any top up (or exchange) option anywhere. If I go to the pink circle it gives the option to send money or request money, but I have to add friends. I just want to add more money from my own debit card!

mel.b wrote:
    I signed up in early Dec, but only today got around to adding the €10 and verifying my account. I have also requested a physical card. However I can't for the life of me see how to add more money now? I've had a look at the you tube video, but the options at the bottom of the screen for me are completely different... When I log in I have 'accounts, analytics, a pink circle with two arrows, cards and more'. I've tried all of them and can't see any top up (or exchange) option anywhere. If I go to the pink circle it gives the option to send money or request money, but I have to add friends. I just want to add more money from my own debit card!

On your main account screen is there not an option underneath your balance? A plus sign to top up and the two circular arrows to exchange.

17togo wrote: »
    On your main account screen is there not an option underneath your balance? A plus sign to top up and the two circular arrows to exchange.

Ahh, found it thanks, I had to pull the screen down to make it appear. Not very intuitive as there's not even a side slide bar visible that would make you think you need to pull the screen down.

long_b wrote: »
    ATM withdrawals

Free ATM withdrawals up to £200/€200 per month.
    Anything over is charged 2%

Just trying to work out if it actually works out cheaper to use the revolut card. I'm currently with pTSB and they charge a max of €11.43 for a foreign withdrawal. So $1000 would cost me €11.43 with pTSB and €20 with revolut. What's the difference in the interbank rates - would it be more than $9 on $1000? Does anyone have any examples? The last large foreign exchange i have on my bank account is from March and i can't get the historical rate data for then to compare with what rate the bank used.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

This might help give an idea on Mastercard rates. it has historical rates. Not the most user friendly but will give you an idea.

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/get-support/convert-currency.html

mel.b wrote: »
    Just trying to work out if it actually works out cheaper to use the revolut card. I'm currently with pTSB and they charge a max of €11.43 for a foreign withdrawal. So $1000 would cost me €11.43 with pTSB and €20 with revolut. What's the difference in the interbank rates - would it be more than $9 on $1000? Does anyone have any examples? The last large foreign exchange i have on my bank account is from March and i can't get the historical rate data for then to compare with what rate the bank used.

First of all, the Revolut charge is only for ATMs. Use your card at POS and you pay nothing on top of the interbank exchange rate.

And by my experience, the Revolut rate is about 0.5% better than the MasterCard rate.

So if PTSB only charge a maximum of €11.43 on top of the MasterCard rate on ATM withdrawals and if you've already used up your free monthly ATM allowance with Revolut, then an ATM withdrawal of greater than €760 IN ONE GO would be cheaper with PTSB.

But I doubt it's possible to withdraw that amount in one go with PTSB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Edit - sorry my mistake!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement