Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Revolut physical card (normally €6)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I am back from New York a week or two and everything worked fine thankfully when I was there.

I just seen the post where there is a issue. Not good if it was your only means of paying for an item.

don't have revolut be the only means necessary for paying for something. what I do is I apple pay money over (it's instant) and buy it. if revolut gets decline I just make the purchase on a credit mastercard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

don't have revolut be the only means necessary for paying for something. what I do is I apple pay money over (it's instant) and buy it. if revolut gets decline I just make the purchase on a credit mastercard.

I know. I'm just back from New York and had cash and had planned to use the revolut card when the cash was gone which I did and it worked out perfect. But I also have a credit card and another debit card but I didn't want to use those as they charge extra so the revolut card came in handy, but yes if there was a problem with revolut like they had yesterday I would just use either of those other cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Got new card. Contactless does not work. I can’t seem to enable it in the app. It’s greyed out. Any suggestions? Waiting on support to get back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Got new card. Contactless does not work. I can’t seem to enable it in the app. It’s greyed out. Any suggestions? Waiting on support to get back.

I think I saw mentioned that you have to use the card once

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

You have to make a purchase via chip and pin or possibly an atm withdrawal, not certain on the atm way though, before you can select contactless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Aquos76 wrote: »
    You have to make a purchase via chip and pin or possibly an atm withdrawal, not certain on the atm way though, before you can select contactless

I've never made a cash withdrawal and use contactless so must be another type of transaction )or any one from a number of types of transactions)

Fanny **** wrote: »
    I've never made a cash withdrawal and use contactless so must be another type of transaction )or any one from a number of types of transactions)

Yes, that why I said I wasn’t sure it an atm withdrawal was one of the method that was accepted as a transaction, just because you don’t have any, that doesn’t mean it isn’t. I never claimed that one needed to do a cash withdrawal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Needs to be activated using chip and pin same as any new card

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Needs to be activated using chip and pin same as any new card

Thats good! Stops the postman tapping revolut letters to buy his/her coffee int he mornings. :) (Online transactions seem to work without activation mind you)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

msmx5 wrote: »
    (Online transactions seem to work without activation mind you)
    Makes sense as the virtual card is the primary card. The physical card is just a clone of an already active card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Cudders

Quick question, Have one of these and travelling to the UK at the end of the month for a weekend. Am I better off loading this card with a couple of hundred and using over there or should I change my money into phyiscal sterling before going?

Just wondering if theres any benefit thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Cudders wrote: »
    Am I better off loading this card with a couple of hundred and using over there or should I change my money into phyiscal sterling before going?
    The entire point of the card is that you get a better rate when you use it than converting say with your bank or the post office. Use the card. If you need physical sterling withdraw it at an ATM over there with Revolut and you'll still get the benefit of the card. There's a 2% charge for cash over £200 (double check my figures) but you'll still be getting a better rate than your bank will give you.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Cudders

TheChizler wrote: »
    The entire point of the card is that you get a better rate when you use it than converting say with your bank or the post office. Use the card. If you need physical sterling withdraw it at an ATM over there with Revolut and you'll still get the benefit of the card. There's a 2% charge for cash over £200 (double check my figures) but you'll still be getting a better rate than your bank will give you.

Sounds good so thanks for the help

Deedsie wrote: »
    Just FYI another use for the revolut card.

I added my revolut card to paypal. Was making a sterling ebay purchase, transferred the euro equivalent to my revolut card. Exchanged it to sterling and then bought the ebay item through paypal with the revolut card.

No exchange rate except whatever revolut charge.

That’s the purpose of Revolut isn’t it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

Are free cards still being issued?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

mac.in wrote: »

5557 left

mac.in wrote: »

Quicker to check Revolut website than post here surely ?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭VeryRapidSkoda

when you go to your profile, there is a linkt o invite friends to revolut. click on that and then you will be given a referral code. just tap on that and you can share it with whomever you wish without having to add all your contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

OK so installed the app and applied for an account (sent photos etc) got verified, so looks like i am good to go (their customer service is so good btw)

I needed to have funds in my account to order a card and virtual card, so got the IBAN and BIC from the revolut account I just set up and sent SEPA payment from my BOI account into my new Revolut account.

Any idea how long such transfer take?

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

In my case - one day (from my BoI Current AC to them)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Just installed the app and went through setup process. All it's telling me now is I'm in a waiting list and there is 447 people in front of me. What exactly am I waiting for?

In my case - one day (from my BoI Current AC to them)

Do u get a notification on the app when monies received?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Quicker to check Revolut website than post here surely ?
    Thanks. Didn't know that. Saw the website and still 5000 odd cards to be issued for free. :)

Do u get a notification on the app when monies received?

Monies arrived. All Good!

card ordered and account topped up again to spending level :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Monies arrived. All Good!

card ordered and account topped up again to spending level :D

Debit card top up is free and instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Morby

How long are people waiting to get these cards? I ordered one today, I don't suppose there's any chance in hell I'd get one Friday is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Hard to know. I got mine in two days but my wife was waiting a week for hers.

Morby wrote: »
    How long are people waiting to get these cards? I ordered one today, I don't suppose there's any chance in hell I'd get one Friday is there?

I ordered my replacement on a Saturday and had it by the following Wednesday I think, so that was 2 days assuming it was only sent out on the following Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Morby

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I ordered my replacement on a Saturday and had it by the following Wednesday I think, so that was 2 days assuming it was only sent out on the following Monday.

Wow, that's excellent, very efficient service. I won't give up hope just yet so, thanks! :)

• Advertisement

Morby wrote: »

Mine arrived in 4 working days, only coming from London

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement