Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Revolut physical card (normally €6)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭long_b

Push notification issue

There is currently an issue affecting push notification delivery for Android users. We’re currently working hard to fix it and expect to have it resolved by the middle of next week. In the meantime please be aware that you won’t receive push notifications for transactions. We’re really sorry for any inconvenience caused!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

If you have signed up you can get a free card (the new Visa card they issue themselves) via this link:

https://revolut.typeform.com/to/ZGpswx
    Shlippery wrote: »
    Signed up for this but support said that promo ended a while back so, who knows what'll happen!

:pac:
    Rockin wrote: »
    Same, they didn't have a clue what I was talking about !
    NATLOR wrote: »
    Didn't get the email but ordered through the link on post 385 seemed to go through successfully

I tried this too last week and all seemed fine but I've not heard a thing since and no new card has appeared in the app. Looks like they mean it when they say, "If you did not receive a notification or e-mail from us, you will not qualify for this offer."

Did this link work for anyone that didn't get "invited"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭jones

If you have signed up you can get a free card (the new Visa card they issue themselves) via this link:

Anyone get the free card? I originally ordered a card a year ago and it never showed up. Reordered using the link last week so let's see if it turns up

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Guys is the crypto feature only available to premium members for the foreseeable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Guys is the crypto feature only available to premium members for the foreseeable?

Or, get three referrals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sylvanb

Used my revolut card to prepay for a hotel in New York a couple of weeks ago. Stayed there last week, the check in person never asked me for a credit card in case of other charges. Only noticed after a day that there was two amounts pending on the card. I queried this with reception - because I was not asked for a card at check-in , they pre-authorised the Revolut card.

I raised this with Revolut support, they said the merchant had 7-10 days to reject. I liaised with the hotel to get the payments rejected but that did not seem to have any impact despite the hotel saying the payments had been rejected.

As of today, the first amount to be returned was the second transaction (January 1st) which happened today while the first transaction still is listed as pending (December 30th).

I was lucky that I had cash and a credit card as backup but lesson learnt for the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Rockin

I tried this too last week and all seemed fine but I've not heard a thing since and no new card has appeared in the app. Looks like they mean it when they say, "If you did not receive a notification or e-mail from us, you will not qualify for this offer."

Did this link work for anyone that didn't get "invited"?

Nope. don't think we are getting any cards :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

sylvanb wrote: »
    Used my revolut card to prepay for a hotel in New York a couple of weeks ago. Stayed there last week, the check in person never asked me for a credit card in case of other charges. Only noticed after a day that there was two amounts pending on the card. I queried this with reception - because I was not asked for a card at check-in , they pre-authorised the Revolut card.

I raised this with Revolut support, they said the merchant had 7-10 days to reject. I liaised with the hotel to get the payments rejected but that did not seem to have any impact despite the hotel saying the payments had been rejected.

As of today, the first amount to be returned was the second transaction (January 1st) which happened today while the first transaction still is listed as pending (December 30th).

I was lucky that I had cash and a credit card as backup but lesson learnt for the next time.

This happened to me as well in November last year. Used to the revolut card to book a hotel online, the day we arrive the hotel scans the card again. There are two transactions for the same amount from the hotel pending on the app. After about 10 business days, the first transaction is approved and the second reverted back.

It's a nightmare especially if you don't have to funds to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

This happened to me as well in November last year. Used to the revolut card to book a hotel online, the day we arrive the hotel scans the card again. There are two transactions for the same amount from the hotel pending on the app. After about 10 business days, the first transaction is approved and the second reverted back.

It's a nightmare especially if you don't have to funds to spare.

This isn't a Revolut specific issue, it is the way pre-authorisation is handled with all debit cards, the difference is you see in realtime what is happening with the Revolut app. Also as you only tent to load the card up as needed it has a bigger effect. With a credit card this all happens in the background and all the customer should see is the completed charge.

It is better to use a credit card for pre-auth at hotel check-ins. You have to know the way the hotel is charging, some just take the full price at booking, some pre-auth and some don't charge at all, particularly with cancellable bookings.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 pepe silvia

Rockin wrote: »
    Nope. don't think we are getting any cards :P

I've the app downloaded and it says deposit 10 euro to get the card, will I not get the card then even if I do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

You will of course - the Mastercard version. We were talking about a second Visa based card they were doing a trial run with by invite only. A few of us tried to register for that card with no luck [and no surprise]. It was a targetted promotion we got the link for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Popped over to the uk recently and the card was so easy to use
    Only problem I had was when I booked the ferry by card online, turned up to board and the fella said the payment bounced, I had €2k transferred on the card so I know it wasn’t bounced because of lack of funds
    Messaged Revolut and they said stenaline had 10 days to collect the money so not their issue
    Luckily I had cash to cover the amount

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

You will of course - the Mastercard version. We were talking about a second Visa based card they were doing a trial run with by invite only. A few of us tried to register for that card with no luck [and no surprise]. It was a targetted promotion we got the link for.

I, like many others here, got the Visa card before Christmas when I signed up for the trial, despite the fact I didn't get an invite.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Is there a benefit to having the Visa over the Mastercard?
    I signed up recently, topped up by €10 and ordered a physical Mastercard through the link, didn't deduct anything so I assume it's free. Expected delivery isn't until the end of this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mollymac57

Ive a Revolut Euro account with a physical MasterCard. Does anyone know if I can directly lodge US Dollars that I’ve in a Moneycorp account into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

mollymac57 wrote: »
    Ive a Revolut Euro account with a physical MasterCard. Does anyone know if I can directly lodge US Dollars that I’ve in a Moneycorp account into it?

For USD loads via bank transfer at present you need to pay into a common account with a reference number and the sender account needs to be in your name.

So if that Moneycorp account shows your name as the sender you can load your Revolut account with it. If it does not show your name as sender than you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Before Christmas, I was in Hungary, card was so handy to use, made my life so easy.

Now in USA for a month, half way at the moment, used the card everywhere, only thing is Costco don't take MasterCard, no big deal once I knew that. Hired a car this morning using it, no issues, himself has one too, and we are burning them up!

Great bargain for us, thanks for the recommendation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I just topped up by a small amount from my credit card (I normally use my debit card) and I wasn't charged the normal fee? I topped up by credit card once before and got charged, which is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭thejaguar

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    Before Christmas, I was in Hungary, card was so handy to use, made my life so easy.

Now in USA for a month, half way at the moment, used the card everywhere, only thing is Costco don't take MasterCard, no big deal once I knew that. Hired a car this morning using it, no issues, himself has one too, and we are burning them up!

This might be a stupid question, but I'm planning on doing the same thing soon so I'm interested. My question is - do you just load up money from your Irish bank account and then spend away in the US (or UK in my case)?
    And ultimately win on the improved FX rates?

Is it that simple?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

thejaguar wrote: »
    This might be a stupid question, but I'm planning on doing the same thing soon so I'm interested. My question is - do you just load up money from your Irish bank account and then spend away in the US (or UK in my case)?

Is it that simple?

Yes it’s that simple

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement

Galadriel wrote: »
    I just topped up by a small amount from my credit card (I normally use my debit card) and I wasn't charged the normal fee? I topped up by credit card once before and got charged, which is right.

Credit (and debit) card surcharges on consumer cards have just been abolished throughout the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Quackster wrote: »
    Credit (and debit) card surcharges on consumer cards have just been abolished throughout the EU.

I'm kinda slow so what you are saying is I can top up my Revolut account with my credit card and it is the same as if I topped it up with my debit?

I'm kinda slow so what you are saying is I can top up my Revolut account with my credit card and it is the same as if I topped it up with my debit?

Yeah, they can't charge extra for topping up by credit card any more. However, they could remove the option of topping up by credit card if they wished to.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mollymac57

For USD loads via bank transfer at present you need to pay into a common account with a reference number and the sender account needs to be in your name.

So if that Moneycorp account shows your name as the sender you can load your Revolut account with it. If it does not show your name as sender than you can't.

Thanks YGGR. My MC account is in my own name but when I rang the MC helpline I was told they didn’t think it was possible. It would be great if I could do this transfer. Would Revolut be able to talk me through it in simple terms? Their help is good but sometimes you are waiting a while for a reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

thejaguar wrote: »

Is it that simple?

What I do is just use the app, load up on euro, then transfer it to us $, once home I use it in £ stg for Amazon, it's so easy,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭cletus

What I do is just use the app, load up on euro, then transfer it to us $, once home I use it in £ stg for Amazon, it's so easy,

Its even easier than that, out on the amount you want, make a purchase in whatever currency you want, and it will automatically take it from the at currency, it if you don't have enough there, from the wallet with enough to cover the cost. I don't even bother converting any more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Quackster wrote: »
    Yeah, they can't charge extra for topping up by credit card any more. However, they could remove the option of topping up by credit card if they wished to.

I’d be surprised if when topping up by credit card (if it’s even possible) that the transfer wouldn’t be treated as a cash advance by credit card issuer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I’d be surprised if when topping up by credit card (if it’s even possible) that the transfer wouldn’t be treated as a cash advance by credit card issuer.
    It's treated as a normal purchase.

TheChizler wrote: »

Nice way to avoid higher interest charges so :)
    Bet they close this down.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »

Nice way to avoid higher interest charges so :)
    Bet they close this down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement