Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Revolut physical card (normally €6)

Options
  • 06-10-2017 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if other people have gotten this email also:

"Great news, we’re officially launching a Revolut office in Ireland, and to celebrate we’re offering our mighty Irish users their first card for free!
    You and your friends and family can order a free card today and save €6. Act now, we’re offering 10,000 cards on a first-come, first-serve basis. Head to the Cards section in the app to order yours now."

Note: in order to do you you may need to delete your existing card and order a new physical one. Your balance isn't affected.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

fjon wrote: »
    I'm sure other people have gotten this email also:

"Great news, we’re officially launching a Revolut office in Ireland, and to celebrate we’re offering our mighty Irish users their first card for free!
    You and your friends and family can order a free card today and save €6. Act now, we’re offering 10,000 cards on a first-come, first-serve basis. Head to the Cards section in the app to order yours now."

Only free for revolut premium customers. I got the same email, very misleading.

EDIT: See below comments, you need to remove virtual card, then you can get the physical card for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Only free for revolut premium customers. I got the same email, very misleading.

That's very sneaky, it doesn't mention Premium anywhere. How did you find this out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭bromley52

It 's free. Just delete your existing virtual card and order a new one. You font have to be a premium account holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

bromley52 wrote: »
    It 's free. Just delete your existing virtual card and order a new one. You font have to be a premium account holder.

Will you lose the balance on your existing virtual card?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭KrakityJones

Just ordered and can confirm it works by deleting existing card and ordering a new one (I've only a standard account), and balance isn't affected.

Excellent stuff, thanks OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

fjon wrote: »
    Will you lose the balance on your existing virtual card?

No, just done that there.

Good BA, I had one of their super old, non-contactless cards and never upgraded as I couldn't be arsed due to the €6 fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭long_b

These attract the yearly charge for ising a credit card, yes?

Can I lob one of these onto my Amazon UK account and use it to pay for everything in GBP?

long_b wrote: »

they're not a credit card. they are a pre-paid debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

How will deleting your existing card work if you have a payment waiting to go through on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

No, just done that there.

Good BA, I had one of their super old, non-contactless cards and never upgraded as I couldn't be arsed due to the €6 fee.

You removed your card? If I do it says it can’t be undone

Confused!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Would this work for new users...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭long_b

they're not a credit card. they are a pre-paid debit card.

True, thanks.
    So.. you still have to pay the Government charge on the card or no?

Confused!

your account and card are linked but your balance is on your account.

you delete the card (make sure you don't have any payments coming through). then you order a new card and when you're ordering, select the standard card, then there's three delivery options, two of them are free, one is for a standard card and the second is for premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,625 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    How will deleting your existing card work if you have a payment waiting to go through on it?

It obviously will not work

True, thanks.

I haven't before, but they were technically a British card. Now that they're moving to Ireland though who knows? But it won't be the Credit card €30 charge though it'll be the debit one of a fee on usage up to €5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

You pay a fee on any type of bank card it's 10€ for the privilege.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Confused!

That's right. Permanently delete your old card and then add a new physical card. I have just done this to replace my old non-contactless card (with less than 12 months validity remaining) with a new contactless one and can confirm it's completely free.

TallGlass wrote: »
    You pay a fee on any type of bank card it's 10€ for the privilege.

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/debit-card-charges-in-budget-2016.html
    The annual total ATM charge of 12c per transaction will be capped at €2.50 for a basic ATM card and €5 for debit cards.

If you have a full debit card – you would need to do 42 ATM transactions to run up annual stamp duty charges of €5 – if you go over that you will still only be charged €5 by the government. Anyone who withdraws cash from an ATM less than 41 times a year will end up paying less in stamp duty than under the old system .

Full debit card here is - I assume - a card that you use at a Point of Sale and an ATM, which is what Revolut give you except you pre-load funds on to it instead of it being tied to a bank (which they are in the process of becoming).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭bromley52

Can I lob one of these onto my Amazon UK account and use it to pay for everything in GBP?

Yes

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I got the e-mail but what am I missing here? I got a free card when I first signed up for Revolut, what's different about this one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Quackster wrote: »
    That's right. Permanently delete your old card and then add a new physical card. I have just done this to replace my old non-contactless card (with less than 12 months validity remaining) with a new contactless one and can confirm it's completely free.

Ah got it, so it’s not a spare then :) just a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

True, thanks.

You pay stamp duty on ATM withdrawals up to a 10er I think. I takes like 12c per withdrawal. But I never use mine for ATM withdrawals in Ireland and I don't think there is any other way for them to charge me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

Grabbed a new contactless card to replace my old non-contactless one!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

What's the advantage of this over a normal debit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭finno

Ah got it, so it’s not a spare then :) just a replacement

I deleted my card now when i click on new card its asking for a 10 euro top up first before getting a new card.:confused:

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I got the e-mail but what am I missing here? I got a free card when I first signed up for Revolut, what's different about this one?

The difference is the email is telling you to tell your friends. You can get yourself a free card (specifically if you have their older non-contactless card) if you delete your card and re-order a new one.

boardie100 wrote: »
    What's the advantage of this over a normal debit card?

https://revolut.com/ie/

tells you the benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Just set up a new account there and then had to Top up account by €10 to get free card and it's worked...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well I just ordered one. Will be handy for my trip to New York. Only problem it says my expected delivery date is the day I fly out. Hopefully I get it before then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Had one of the old original cards that was sans-contactless. Deleted and re-ordered.

Happy out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement