Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Revolut physical card (normally €6)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

TheChizler wrote: »
    It's treated as a normal purchase.

Yeah mine was definitely treated as a normal purchase. It's great if you are stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Alpha Centauri

Would you have more protection using your credit card to make a purchase than the revoult card?

if the goods dont arrive etc a credit card Co. can do a charge back

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Did a couple of Euro top ups today and the amount deducted from the debit card was greater than the top up amount . On €50.00 the fee was .64 cents . Anyone else seeing this ?

Edit: just checked and a top up using the same card on the 18th Jan had no fee. If memory serves there was an app update so might be worth checking your top ups just in case.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Tony wrote: »
    Did a couple of Euro top ups today and the amount deducted from the debit card was greater than the top up amount . On €50.00 the fee was .64 cents . Anyone else seeing this ?

Edit: just checked and a top up using the same card on the 18th Jan had no fee. If memory serves there was an app update so might be worth checking your top ups just in case.

Was it a personal or commercial card you used?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

There are some post in the community that make it look like Revolut has an issue determining the card correctly (there should not be a charge on consumer cards issued in the EEA).

If you got charged a fee and you used a consumer card issued in the EEA (with exception of Switzerland) than go to support so that can investigate it and do a refund.

If you used a commercial card or a card issued outside the EEA then you are charged a fee now on debit card transactions. Since the PSD2 last week they can do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Are you using a credit card rather than a debit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

No longer charging a fee on EU credit cards since PSD2.

Its the same card I've been using for years. No fees before the 18th Jan fees today on the 22nd . tried a top up with a N26 card and no fee on that.

Quackster wrote: »
    Was it a personal or commercial card you used?

Debit card

Its the same card I've been using for years. No fees before the 18th Jan fees today on the 22nd . tried a top up with a N26 card and no fee on that.

Contact support, most likely they have problems classifying your card correctly.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info. I've just checked the card profile in the app and its showing as a debit card. Perhaps it seeing it incorrectly as you suggest.

There are some post in the community that make it look like Revolut has an issue determining the card correctly (there should not be a charge on consumer cards issued in the EEA).

If you got charged a fee and you used a consumer card issued in the EEA (with exception of Switzerland) than go to support so that can investigate it and do a refund.

If you used a commercial card or a card issued outside the EEA then you are charged a fee now on debit card transactions. Since the PSD2 last week they can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭SteM

I topped up from my debt card this afternoon with no extra charges.

I'm onto support now, it does seem to be a card recognition issue.

Which bank?

So that others might have a look and are prepared until it's fixed.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

From the Revolut updated terms for PSD2 since 13th January:

Please note that if you top up with a card that has not been issued within the EEA (e.g. a US based card) or you top up with a commercial card then we may charge a small fee just to cover our costs.

It no longer matters whether a card is a credit or debit card, but rather whether it's a personal or a commercial EEA-issued card (or a non-EEA-issued card).

Which bank?

So that others might have a look and are prepared until it's fixed.

BOI, thanks again for your help

Indeed that seems to be the case . Fees are pretty steep so anyone who was previously using a commercial card to top up should maybe think about bank transfers either direct to revolut or via N26 or Fire perhaps. Fire is 10c per transaction.

Quackster wrote: »
    It no longer matters whether a card is a credit or debit card, but rather whether it's a personal or a commercial .

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

Apologies, could someone clarify the following for me if possible to ensure I understand clearly the scope of the free card:

-Free to top up by bank transfer
    -Unlimited use at point of sale or anywhere you pay by MasterCard, no fees for this ever
    -If exceed €200 ATM withdrawals per month then incur charges, under €200 is free
    -Both point of sale and ATM withdrawals incur 0.5% to 1.0% charge from midnight Friday until Monday morning when backs reopen?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

flugel wrote: »
    Apologies, could someone clarify the following for me if possible to ensure I understand clearly the scope of the free card:

-Free to top up by bank transfer
    -Unlimited use at point of sale or anywhere you pay by MasterCard, no fees for this ever
    -If exceed €200 ATM withdrawals per month then incur charges, under €200 is free
    -Both point of sale and ATM withdrawals incur 0.5% to 1.0% charge from midnight Friday until Monday morning when backs reopen?

Where did you see these charges? the last one is new to me, I’ve never been charges extra on transactions over the weekend.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Where did you see these charges? the last one is new to me, I’ve never been charges extra on transactions over the weekend.

https://community.revolut.com/t/weekend-exchange-rate-surcharge-clarification/4483

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Is that a reference to the currency conversion surcharge? If so it only applies when converting currency on the fly at weekends, not when taking directly from a balance.

Is that a reference to the currency conversion surcharge? If so it only applies when converting currency on the fly at weekends, not when taking directly from a balance.

I may be confusing everyone!

So you can both have a balance in Euros and spend on the fly and be subject to the above weekend charges

Or

Convert balance to dollars when going to America and have no charges while spending from this dollars balance unless take out more than $200 from ATM in the one month?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭cuculainn

just to clarify something further,

i got my revolut card and to activate i had to use it with the pin for the first time.

i used it to pay for lunch one day.

the lunch cost 18.65 but 19.24 came off the card.
    at the time the guy new it was a UK card as it changed the cost to sterling

is this normal?

thanks and apologies if this is a dumb question. also this was on a friday morning so not the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

cuculainn wrote: »
    just to clarify something further,

i got my revolut card and to activate i had to use it with the pin for the first time.

i used it to pay for lunch one day.

the lunch cost 18.65 but 19.24 came off the card.
    at the time the guy new it was a UK card as it changed the cost to sterling

is this normal?

thanks and apologies if this is a dumb question. also this was on a friday morning so not the weekend

If you let a retailer charge you in anything but the local currency then the exchange rate is done by them/their bank rather than your card provider and you can expect to be overcharged in comparison to the Revolut/interbank rate.

Even when using a regular credit/debit card you will be charged more by accepting a retailer's kind offer to charge you in your own currency.

Always pay in local currency.

flugel wrote: »
    I may be confusing everyone!

So you can both have a balance in Euros and spend on the fly and be subject to the above weekend charges

Or

Convert balance to dollars when going to America and have no charges while spending from this dollars balance unless take out more than $200 from ATM in the one month?
    You will only be subject to currency conversion charges if you convert currency at the weekend. If you have enough in your Euro balance and your card is charged in Euro you won't be charged anything. If you spend in USD and this requires you to convert your Euro balance then at weekends you will be charged that surcharge.

If you know you will be spending in a different currency at the weekend it is best to convert in advance.

The ATM charge is separate and is applied once you go above €200 whether you convert or not.

If you know you will be spending in a different currency at the weekend it is best to convert in advance.

Cheers, this clears it up for me. I was unaware that you could change currencies in advance, thought it always came off the original balance which would be euros.

Sounds like it is worth getting so if holidaying outside eurozone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

What Android phones does the revolut app work with? What is the difference between the credit card and debit card option?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Cape Clear wrote: »
    What Android phones does the revolut app work with? What is the difference between the credit card and debit card option?

I'm pretty sure it works with them all or just ones in the last number of years. I have not had a android phone yet it didn't work with.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

If you mean attached to my Paypal account, then yeah. I haven’t set it up as a way of transferring funds from my Paypal account to my Revolut card though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

sugarman wrote: »
    Has anyone got Revolut working with PayPal?

Yes it’s working with PayPal okay for me and gives a better conversion rate obviously, but sometimes the card gets frozen when trying to spend £500 plus which can be a pain
    Revolut message pops up
    Card frozen due to large transaction

The internet isn’t for everyone

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement