Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All quiet on the Korean peninsula, but is Spain about to erupt?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

bear1 wrote: »
    300000 out of over 7 million citizens is a majority for you? Riiight

I’m sorry did you have the count for the small number of pro independence who attended yesterday? I’d say about 5000 at most! You do the maths!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Very random pic of the guys who were in Barcelona today supporting the union with Spain :pac:

Ah there is always a couple of idiots on both sides! Most that I have seen interviewed have been normal rational Catalans looking to remain part of Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I find it amusing that the leftist types in Irish politics give out murder about the US and allies interfering in the affairs of other countries and yet when something like this happens (in a region they evidently know very little about) they are more than happy to interfere themselves and tell us all what we should think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I’m sorry did you have the count for the small number of pro independence who attended yesterday? I’d say about 5000 at most! You do the maths!

Right. More ****e.
    Are all those people that demonstrated from Catalonia?

I find it amusing that the leftist types in Irish politics give out murder about the US and allies interfering in the affairs of other countries and yet when something like this happens (in a region they evidently know very little about) they are more than happy to interfere themselves and tell us all what we should think.

Hardly, what's the point in discussing it if when people have opposing opinions it's classed as being leftist?
    I think quite a few of us said that the vote shouldn't have gone ahead but also said the Spanish police were wrong to have been so heavy handed.
    It's completely different to what the US is capable of doing seeing it's past record isn't great.
    Both Madrid and Barcelona are responsible for the crap they are in.
    But Madrid screwed themselves with their handling of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Hardly, what's the point in discussing it if when people have opposing opinions it's classed as being leftist?
    I think quite a few of us said that the vote shouldn't have gone ahead but also said the Spanish police were wrong to have been so heavy handed.
    It's completely different to what the US is capable of doing seeing it's past record isn't great.

Catalonian government has screwed themselves by calling an illegal referendum, leaving it in the hands of volunteers and reversing 40 years of autonomous government by handing the keys back to Madrid all within the space of one month.

How do you know that 1000's of those people weren't fresh off a bus from Madrid and other parts of Spain?
    A gathering on the streets today is pretty clear evidence according to some :pac:

As opposed to the illegal referendum which is what you are basing your argument for Catalonian independence on???

Catalonian government has screwed themselves by calling an illegal referendum, leaving it in the hands of volunteers and reversing 40 years of autonomous government by handing the keys back to Madrid all within the space of one month.

Madrid has already stated that they will be giving control back once the elections are done.
    It's not in Madrid's interests to stay there as it would cause more problems than it solves.

How is that pretty clear? A referendum is the clearest indication but as we all know, that was not allowed as it was deemed to be not legal and the voters were battered off the streets.

Catalonians are well within their rights to have a referendum but that bill needs to go through Catalonian parliament first! Nobody is preventing the Catalonians from holding the referendum but it has to be constitutional.

This clinging to the excuse of police battering people off the streets is just flogged to death at this stage. This happened in a few isolated parts of Catalonia, the vast majority of places passed off without incident.

You have no other arguments other than

1. Phoney referendum results
    2. Police brutality
    3. Rinse repeat

Right. More ****e.
    Are all those people that demonstrated from Catalonia?

Interesting how you question the numbers in the pro unity demonstration yesterday but in the breath will cite the phoney referendum last month as a mandate for Catalonian independence.

• Advertisement

Interesting how you question the numbers in the pro unity demonstration yesterday but in the breath will cite the phoney referendum last month as a mandate for Catalonian independence.

How did I? I've already said numerous times that the referendum wasn't binding.
    I questioned the posters use that 300k of people in a region of over 7 million results in a majority.

How did I? I've already said numerous times that the referendum wasn't binding.
    I questioned the posters use that 300k of people in a region of over 7 million results in a majority.

It's a pity you wouldn't question your own assertions that Catalonia should be an independent country because outside the excuses of the phoney referendum and police brutality, you don't have an argument.

What other reason can you cite for Catalonia to be an independent country? Name just one.

It's a pity you wouldn't question your own assertions that Catalonia should be an independent country because outside the excuses of the phoney referendum and police brutality, you don't have an argument.

What other reason can you cite for Catalonia to be an independent country? Name just one.

I think you might be confusing me with someone else.
    I neither said they should be a separate country or a part of Spain.
    What they should do is engage in dialogue with Madrid.
    Complete a proper legally binding vote and all everyone in the region the possibility to give a voice to their opinions.
    The Catalan government along with Madrid should spell out what a yes or no vote will mean so the public have all the info needed to make a choice.
    If they vote yes then Madrid should respect that and begin the process of separation.

I think you might be confusing me with someone else.
    I neither said they should be a separate country or a part of Spain.
    What they should do is engage in dialogue with Madrid.
    Complete a proper legally binding vote and all everyone in the region the possibility to give a voice to their opinions.
    The Catalan government along with Madrid should spell out what a yes or no vote will mean so the public have all the info needed to make a choice.
    If they vote yes then Madrid should respect that and begin the process of separation.

We've been over this numerous times. This is all spelled out in the Spanish constitution which 90% of the people of Catalonia voted for.

What happened over the past four weeks was an attempted coup by a hardline minority who made an unilateral declaration of independence. How would you expect any other European government to respond???

We've been over this numerous times. This is all spelled out in the Spanish constitution which 90% of the people of Catalonia voted for.

What happened over the past four weeks was an attempted coup by a hardline minority who made an unilateral declaration of independence. How would you expect any other European government to respond???

Not by force.
    They should have let them vote as the result would still be illegal and not waste time and resources in causing pain and anger.
    You seem determined to go off on a tangent or twist what people are saying, my post was quite fair for both sides so all your ????? and general attitude is pointless.
    We don't need to agree on anything, besides the fact I don't particularly care of your view point but if we are going to discuss this issue then we can debate normally.

Not by force.
    They should have let them vote as the result would still be illegal and not waste time and resources in causing pain and anger.
    You seem determined to go off on a tangent or twist what people are saying, my post was quite fair for both sides so all your ????? and general attitude are pointless.
    We don't need to agree on anything, besides the fact I don't particularly care of your view point but if we are going to discuss this issue then we can debate normally.

If you're going to discuss the issue then at least base it in facts rather than try and cloud it with emotions by using buzz words like anger, fear, oppression, police brutality. You just won't let go of this police brutality, where were you in June when police in Hamburg injured 500 G20 protesters. Were those people also being oppressed?

Why should the central government have allowed them to vote? What about the other half of Catalonia that wants to remain part of Spain, if the referendum have be allowed to proceed would they not have a legitimate argument against their government as to why are you allowing a minority of people call an unconstitutional referendum and trying to break up the country of Spain? The central government have an obligation to protect the rights of all the citizens of Spain and not to bow down to a noisy minority who are attempting a coup!

If you're going to discuss the issue then at least base it in facts rather than try and cloud it with emotions by using buzz words like anger, fear, oppression, police brutality.

Why should the central government have allowed them to vote? What about the other half of Catalonia that wants to remain part of Spain, if the referendum have be allowed to proceed would they not have a legitimate argument against their government as to why are you allowing a minority of people call an unconstitutional referendum and trying to break up the country of Spain? The central government have an obligation to protect the rights of all the citizens of Spain and not to bow down to a noisy minority who are attempting a coup!

Jesus, re-read what I wrote and stop going off on tangents. It's tiring.
    Also, where do you see me using words such as police brutality and oppression?
    You seem to be getting offended at this whole thing.

Jesus, re-read what I wrote and stop going off on tangents. It's tiring.
    Also, where do you see me using words such as police brutality and oppression?
    You seem to be getting offended at this whole thing.

There is nothing there other than virtue signalling about police violence.

There is nothing there other than virtue signalling about police violence.

Good lad, then we have nothing more to discuss.

Good lad, then we have nothing more to discuss.

Another pro independence advocate bows out of the debate because they've been hit with too many truth bombs

4g4if4H.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I take it plans for the Munster secession referendum are on track? Tensions with the rest of the country are at boiling point.

Im waiting to be bussed in as we speak

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Pretty much this. Can anyone point to me that the majority of Catalans want independence?

Another pro independence advocate bows out of the debate because they've been hit with too many truth bombs

4g4if4H.gif

Are you being deliberately stupid? How am I pro independence?
    Twice at least now I've told you my view points.
    So you can talk as much nonsense as you want about bowing out or being pro independent.
    Bombs? Hahaahabah

Pretty much this. Can anyone point to me that the majority of Catalans want independence?

That's been requested for the last 50 pages both on this thread and others. Nobody can come up with an answer without reverting to the illegal referendum or mentioning something about police violence as if it was isolated to the people of Catalonia.

Are you being deliberately stupid? How am I pro independence?
    Twice at least now I've told you my view points.
    So you can talk as much nonsense as you want about bowing out or being pro independent.
    Bombs? Hahaahabah

So what exactly are you contributing to the thread other than how there should be world peace and how everybody needs to get along aka stating the obvious?

That's been requested for the last 50 pages both on this thread and others. Nobody can come up with an answer without reverting to the illegal referendum or mentioning something about police violence as if it was isolated to the people of Catalonia.

But you yourself were saying the vote wasn't legal, So what revert are you both looking for?
    Before you twist this around, I'm aware the vote was illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

What are they going to do? Throw a pan of paella out the window? No comparison with N Korea imo.

So what exactly are you contributing to the thread other than how there should be world peace and how everybody needs to get along aka stating the obvious?

Must I contribute to the thread to be a part of it?
    Apologies oh wise one.
    My contribution was merely my opinion on what both sides should have done.
    Your contribution appears to be one of being obtuse or of twisting posters meanings to suit your own argument.
    I mentioned that both sides were wrong, I mentioned Madrid shouldn't have been so forceful, I mentioned the vote was illegal and that Barcelona should have gone down the legal route to have the correct results and procedure in place.
    Yet, you somehow manage to change all that to mean I want world peace or that I can't handle the "bombs"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Some just see it as a left wing movement (which isn't exactly the case), so they go with it without knowing any of the facts. Most of us here don't have much of a clue about the whole history of Spain and the Catalan region.

• Advertisement

Must I contribute to the thread to be a part of it?
    Apologies oh wise one.
    My contribution was merely my opinion on what both sides should have done.
    Your contribution appears to be one of being obtuse or of twisting posters meanings to suit your own argument.
    I mentioned that both sides were wrong, I mentioned Madrid shouldn't have been so forceful, I mentioned the vote was illegal and that Barcelona should have gone down the legal route to have the correct results and procedure in place.
    Yet, you somehow manage to change all that to mean I want world peace or that I can't handle the "bombs"

I definitely think that was too many truth bombs for you to handle in one morning.

Advertisement