Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All quiet on the Korean peninsula, but is Spain about to erupt?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Barcelona FC will walk the new league every year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

If Spain did send in the army and it create rioting and it escalates to the brink of civil war, would the eu be in their right to send in a peacekeepping force to stop both sides? Or is the eu powerless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

bear1 wrote: »
    If Spain did send in the army and it create rioting and it escalates to the brink of civil war, would the eu be in their right to send in a peacekeepping force to stop both sides? Or is the eu powerless?

UN or Swiss (as go betweens) would get involved before the EU would.

I presume they have declared a border?

Floki wrote: »
    UN or Swiss (as go betweens) would get involved before the EU would.

I presume they have declared a border?

Tusk has in a way subtly told Madrid not to go in heavy handed.

Rajoy has announced that the Catalan government has been dissolved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭bilston

there will be only 1 reason for spain to send in the army, and that is to crush and put down the independance movement by force. that is why the catalans would have to stand up and defend. if there is bloodshed, it will be spain's fault.

Crush who? What military force do Catalonia have?

bilston wrote: »
    Crush who? What military force do Catalonia have?

I suppose the only thing they have are 17k local police officers but how many of them would dare engage in battle let alone which government they belong to.
    But Spain has it's own police stationed there so... tricky.
    Both parties have played the big dick game and both are now into the unknown but with Rajoy being backed by his government and major world leaders I imagine he will come out of this a very popular man.

So.. the Gambia have stated that they are recognising Catalonia as a new country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Wrecking my head this is... if they want to start this bullsh*t, the EU should threaten not to let them anywhere near membership and impose trade sanctions on them. I thought we were beyond all this nationalist rubbish in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,755 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Wrecking my head this is... if they want to start this bullsh*t, the EU should threaten not to let them anywhere near membership and impose trade sanctions on them. I thought we were beyond all this nationalist rubbish in 2017.

Think about what you just wrote...

There's your answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the catalans want to be free. they are entitled to be free.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

And yet the EU wants us to think of ourselves as "Europeans" first and foremost..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Start this bull****? What, self determination??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

bear1 wrote: »
    So.. the Gambia have stated that they are recognising Catalonia as a new country.

And Guy Verhofstadt has not....

https://twitter.com/GuyVerhofstadt/status/923981922736451589

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Think about what you just wrote...

There's your answer.

Whoosh, over my head... I don't get what my answer is?

Verhofstadt is a creepy federalist fanatic who makes a hypocrite of himself regularly...if it was somewhere else in the world being denied self determination he would be frothing at the mouth

Guy is the most pro EU guy out there, of course he doesn't agree with this. Breaking up a country in Europe in this day and age. Seems ridiculous to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Verhofstadt is a creepy federalist fanatic who makes a hypocrite of himself regularly...if it was somewhere else in the world being denied self determination he would be frothing at the mouth

Ukraine being a good example...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,755 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Whoosh, over my head... I don't get what my answer is?

An increasing number of people in these countries are tired of having the EU impose rules, harsh austerity, and immigration policies (to name just a few of the bigger issues) that they didn't ask for - all in the name of enriching Germany no matter the cost to their own countries.

The way the Banking Crisis and then the Immigration issue has been handled - effectively bully-boy tactics imposed on the smaller nations - doesn't sit well with the people who end up paying for it and living with the adverse consequences.

It's also why there has been a significant rise in extremist parties and parties whose platform is based on restoring sovereignty.

The bit I highlighted for you, and the attitude it conveys, is exactly why this is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    An increasing number of people in these countries are tired of having the EU impose rules, harsh austerity, and immigration policies (to name just a few of the bigger issues) that they didn't ask for - all in the name of enriching Germany no matter the cost to their own countries.

The way the Banking Crisis and then the Immigration issue has been handled - effectively bully-boy tactics imposed on the smaller nations - doesn't sit well with the people who end up paying for it and living with the adverse consequences.

It's also why there has been a significant rise in extremist parties and parties whose platform is based on restoring sovereignty.

The bit I highlighted for you, and the attitude it conveys, is exactly why this is happening.

hold on. the EU is far from perfect but these countries voted for these rules. the EU doesn't impose anything on anyone. individual countries are responsible for their actions.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

hold on. the EU is far from perfect but these countries voted for these rules. the EU doesn't impose anything on anyone. individual countries are responsible for their actions.

Are you pro EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

This is a little different to the issue of Scotland, which some have compared it to, and also to Ukraine.
    Scotland sought permission from the UK Government to hold a referendum. Crimea and Catalonia did not. That is one of the many genuine reasons why the rest of the EU won't recognise it, however it is also the most convenient one to publicly use as well.

In the case of Crimea, the EU couldn't possibly be seen to take the side of Russia over Ukraine. Even though Crimea is all but certainty does want to be part of Russia.

In the case of Catalonia, the EU can't possibly be seen as taking the side of Catalonia over Spain. Even though it appears the majority of Catalonians wish to be independent of Spain.

With Scotland, given the UK Govt gave permission, to side against idenendence would also be to side against the UK. And, given Brexit implications, the EU probably couln't give two shítes any more anyway.

All of the above is incredibly frustrating to me because I do believe in the right of a people to self-determination and if that is what they want, then it is what they should get. It should be a peaceful secession but it should only be allowed after a Spanish-endorsed, properly-run referendum which allows everyone to vote to be sure of the wish of the people.

But, of course, the rest of Spain doesn't want to allow this because of the region's massive contribution to their GDP, and so the impasse.

Well if this goes ahead I think Dublin should declare independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Well if this goes ahead I think Dublin should declare independence.

Surely Cork is the more likely candidate for that nonsense :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Surely Cork is the more likely candidate for that nonsense :pac:

They don't support the rest of the country

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Yeah sure didn't we vote against these so called rules, only to be told to do it again until we voted yes. That's some fine EU democracy right there..

We still voted yes though

We still voted yes though

"Vote yes for jobs"....will we ever forget Sarkozy "the Irish must vote again"...imagine an Irish politician saying that after the result of a French referendum.

"Vote yes for jobs"....will we ever forget Sarkozy "the Irish must vote again"...imagine an Irish politician saying that after the result of a French referendum.

doesn't matter, I wasn't living here at the time, but the Irish still voted yes the second time, we can only blame ourselves

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement