Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All quiet on the Korean peninsula, but is Spain about to erupt?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

the catalans want to be free. they are entitled to be free.

So do the people of Munster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

doesn't matter, I wasn't living here at the time, but the Irish still voted yes the second time, we can only blame ourselves

They were never going to take no for an answer,welcome to the world of dubious EU democracy....lads let's pretend that didn't happen and vote again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

"Vote yes for jobs"....will we ever forget Sarkozy "the Irish must vote again"...imagine an Irish politician saying that after the result of a French referendum.

It's no less moronic than some of the tripe regularly directed at the EU, from straightened bananas to 'Mumbai Mix'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

So if I understand correctly, the president of Catalonia is no longer the president and hence no being paid a salary and I assume is now wanted for crimes against the state.
    I'm guessing he is facing a long prison sentence if the Spanish look for it.
    Must be under serious stress.

It's no less moronic than some of the tripe regularly directed at the EU, from straightened bananas to 'Mumbai Mix'.

In fairness they make up some ridiculous overkill regulations that justifies them having their overpaid jobs...wonder what happens when they run out of stuff to regulate...what about God..have they regulated him yet,anyways I'm off to have an EU regulated dump

• Advertisement

In fairness they make up some ridiculous overkill regulations that justifies them having their overpaid jobs...wonder what happens when they run out of stuff to regulate...what about God..have they regulated him yet,anyways I'm off to have an EU regulated dump

Anything in specific you're thinking of?

Anything in specific you're thinking of?

The new TPD directive\regulations on vaping products for a start,it's pure North Korean stuff...they come up with some bizarre s**t

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10076201/EU-drops-olive-oil-jug-ban-after-public-outcry.html

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Yeah sure didn't we vote against these so called rules, only to be told to do it again until we voted yes. That's some fine EU democracy right there..

no . we were given concessions on the original treaty meaning it was effectively a new treaty, meaning a second referendum was required by law. you should have voted no again
    "Vote yes for jobs"....will we ever forget Sarkozy "the Irish must vote again"...imagine an Irish politician saying that after the result of a French referendum.

if you fell for it that's your fault. i voted no the first and second time.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

no . we were given concessions on the original treaty meaning it was effectively a new treaty, meaning a second referendum was required by law. you should have voted no again

if you fell for it that's your fault. i voted no the first and second time.

I didn't fall for it and anyone I spoke to didn't fall for it(I've yet to find one person who voted yes),infact people were quite annoyed at being asked to vote again and the EU literally pissing on our shoes,and dangling the incentive of job creation like a carrot on a stick..bunch of scumbags really

The new TPD directive\regulations on vaping products for a start,it's pure North Korean stuff...they come up with some bizarre s**t

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10076201/EU-drops-olive-oil-jug-ban-after-public-outcry.html

To be fair the latter example was one which ended in a climbdown, not exactly a bad outcome and a decent demonstration of accountability.

As for the TPD directive, to be fair it's hardly the first time a government thought to intervene in the Tobacco market, nor even the first time they did so with somewhat byzantine results that don't appear to have much function.

I suppose my wider point is a bit of a riposte to the idea which seems to permeate English society that the EU is some kind of dictatorial monster responsible for every misery people encounter in their lives.

• Advertisement

To be fair the latter example was one which ended in a climbdown, not exactly a bad outcome and a decent demonstration of accountability.

As for the TPD directive, to be fair it's hardly the first time a government thought to intervene in the Tobacco market, nor even the first time they did so with somewhat byzantine results that don't appear to have much function.

I suppose my wider point is a bit of a riposte to the idea which seems to permeate English society that the EU is some kind of dictatorial monster responsible for every misery people encounter in their lives.

To be honest that type of micromanaging people's lives would drive anyone nuts,hence it gets hit with the dictatorship label

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

bear1 wrote: »
    So if I understand correctly, the president of Catalonia is no longer the president and hence no being paid a salary and I assume is now wanted for crimes against the state.
    I'm guessing he is facing a long prison sentence if the Spanish look for it.
    Must be under serious stress.

A conviction for Sedition carries a 10 year term in Spain

Make Barcelona the capital. Everyone click "Find and Replace: Spain > Catalan"

Congratulations Catalan. You're the most successful new country ever gaining an enormous amount of territory in your first week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Sedition - there's a word I didn't think I'd be hearing in relation to a Western European country this century. Strange days folks.

Sedition - there's a word I didn't think I'd be hearing in relation to a Western European country this century. Strange days folks.

It's the online era of customised content.. A lot of the political stuff we're seeing now can be traced back to people constantly being fed what they've shown some interest in.

Brexit / Trump / (Stupid) conspiracies / Nationalism / ISIS / etc.

Sure these motivations always existed, and similar things always happened, but people are more and more convinced that broad issues affect them more than they do, and they can't separate their own lives from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Department Of Foreign Affairs says Ireland does not recognise Catalan Independence!

Link:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1028/915881-spanish-state-prosecutor-filing-rebellion-charges/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It's well past time Dublin seceded from the rest of Ireland, and Dublin 4 could then secede from Dublin. I am laughing at all the lefties supporting Catalonia, when the main reason they want to secede is to not have to share their wealth with the rest of poorer Spain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I've spent a lot of time in French Catalonia. Where does that come into this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

What do those lazy good for nothing basques and eta think of all this carry on?

timthumbni wrote: »
    What do those lazy good for nothing basques and eta think of all this carry on?

They'll probably wait and see how it pans out, it could be absolutely disastrous for the Catalans

• Advertisement

The most important aspect of this whole scenario is what will happen to the mighty Barcelona FC if the Catalans do go it alone?

The most important aspect of this whole scenario is what will happen to the mighty Barcelona FC if the Catalans do go it alone?

Well if I was Spanish I wouldn't want them playing in my league, I can't see what options they'd have unless they wait until some European Super League is formed, which will probably happen eventually. That club practically defines the region. I don't think the Catalans have thought this whole thing through...

Well if I was Spanish I wouldn't want them playing in my league, I can't see what options they'd have unless they wait until some European Super League is formed, which will probably happen eventually. That club practically defines the region. I don't think the Catalans have thought this whole thing through...

I’ve read many opinions that Barcelona fc are too big to get rid of as money talks. I think that the Spanish will tell them to F off personally as if the split happens then I could imagine crowd trouble too.

A super league will happen I agree. This may speed it up I suppose. It would be pretty hypocritical of Barcelona to stay in the Spanish league anyway tbh. I’ve heard talk of them joining the French league maybe too.

I’ve read many opinions that Barcelona fc are too big to get rid of as money talks. I think that the Spanish will tell them to F off personally as if the split happens then I could imagine crowd trouble too.

A super league will happen I agree. This may speed it up I suppose. It would be pretty hypocritical of Barcelona to stay in the Spanish league anyway tbh. I’ve heard talk of them joining the French league maybe too.

I doubt the French would support them in this either. The bureaucracy it would cause for France as they border with them.

I doubt the French would support them in this either. The bureaucracy it would cause for France as they border with them.

Money talks though and it would certainly boost the French league. You are right with the bureaucracy though. I suppose the whole basque thing might stop the French from being involved too.

Barcelona are welcome to join the Irish league if they wish. A freezing cold December match against Linfield maybe would test the calalan giants and mr messi.

Money talks though and it would certainly boost the French league. You are right with the bureaucracy though. I suppose the whole basque thing might stop the French from being involved too.

Barcelona are welcome to join the Irish league if they wish. A freezing cold December match against Linfield maybe would test the calalan giants and mr messi.

No lets bring them to the LOI, we might actually fill Dalymount for a change, super Bohs would play them off the park :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Sinn Fein recognize it which is basically a red alert that it really is BS and unlawful and the Spanish government is actually right. Thank you Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭bilston

It could set the wheels in motion for a European Super League.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

hmmm wrote: »
    It's well past time Dublin seceded from the rest of Ireland, and Dublin 4 could then secede from Dublin. I am laughing at all the lefties supporting Catalonia, when the main reason they want to secede is to not have to share their wealth with the rest of poorer Spain.

any evidence that it's lefties supporting catalan independence rather then a mix of people with over-all differing political views?
    Sinn Fein recognize it which is basically a red alert that it really is BS and unlawful and the Spanish government is actually right. Thank you Sinn Fein.

complete and utter nonsense. sinn fein's support has no baring on the validity of the catalan struggle. spain stopped being in the right when it beat people off the streets for taking part in democracy.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    It could set the wheels in motion for a European Super League.

Is that something to be welcomed though??? It reminds me a bit of the film rollerball (the original 70s one) where world cities played each other but it was really just a corporate money scam. A bit like football now come to think of it.

Advertisement