Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All quiet on the Korean peninsula, but is Spain about to erupt?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭bilston

timthumbni wrote: »
    Is that something to be welcomed though??? It reminds me a bit of the film rollerball (the original 70s one) where world cities played each other but it was really just a corporate money scam. A bit like football now come to think of it.

Going way OT but no I wouldn't welcome it.

Going back on topic (or closer to it), would Barcelona (and Espanyol) be kicked out? Real Madrid need Barcelona, maybe not as much as Barcelona needs La Liga but they still need them. But then aren't Real Madrid tied into the Spanish establishment? Maybe they'll say feck 'em. As a football fan it's definitely an interesting by product of the whole crisis.

Sinn Fein recognize it which is basically a red alert that it really is BS and unlawful and the Spanish government is actually right. Thank you Sinn Fein.
    Fortunately, sinn fein isn't a government so have no authority to recognise the breakaway state.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

bilston wrote: »
    Going way OT but no I wouldn't welcome it.

Going back on topic (or closer to it), would Barcelona (and Espanyol) be kicked out? Real Madrid need Barcelona, maybe not as much as Barcelona needs La Liga but they still need them. But then aren't Real Madrid tied into the Spanish establishment? Maybe they'll say feck 'em. As a football fan it's definitely an interesting by product of the whole crisis.

Real are definitely pure Spanish. Then again Espanyol are also seen as the pro Spanish side in Catalonia. As opposed to Barcelona that are definitely pro Catalan independence. It’s interesting. If the split occurs (which I’m still very doubtful about) then I cannot see Barca remaining in the Spanish league. Jaysus and I thought Scotland was complicated.....

any evidence that it's lefties supporting catalan independence rather then a mix of people with over-all differing political views?

complete and utter nonsense. sinn fein's support has no baring on the validity of the catalan struggle. spain stopped being in the right when it beat people off the streets for taking part in democracy.
    The fact that you are a far leftie and you support "the Catalan struggle" gives support to his theory :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Fortunately, sinn fein isn't a government so have no authority to recognise the breakaway state.

they will one day be in government hopefully so their recognition of the new republic still means a lot to the people there.
    The fact that you are a far leftie and you support "the Catalan struggle" gives support to his theory

it doesn't as i'm not a far leftie nor anything near it. i'm not even left wing but centrist.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

i'm not even left wing but centrist.

Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Corporatism is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

timthumbni wrote: »
    I’ve read many opinions that Barcelona fc are too big to get rid of as money talks. I think that the Spanish will tell them to F off personally as if the split happens then I could imagine crowd trouble too.

A super league will happen I agree. This may speed it up I suppose. It would be pretty hypocritical of Barcelona to stay in the Spanish league anyway tbh. I’ve heard talk of them joining the French league maybe too.

The Spanish government don't run the Spanish fa??

Spanish FA has shown little interest in getting involved politically,due to not wanting to upset other regions

Leaving uefa to decide whether barca can participate in la liga??

The problem with Catalonia is that it's full of Catalans.

The problem with Catalonia is that it's full of Catalans.
    I would imagine that Catalans make up only about 50% of the population, most of the rest are from other parts of Spain plus a large population from outside of Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

do they want the French part of Catalonia to be part of their new Utopia or are they not bothered with them because all it's really about is them thinking they prop up the rest of Spain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

I would imagine that Catalans make up only about 50% of the population, most of the rest are from other parts of Spain plus a large population from outside of Spain.

100% of the citizens of Catalonia are Spanish!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

many of the citizens, the majority, disagree.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Even the ones in France?

Give us some statistics to back this up?

You must be our in-house Catalonia expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Spanish government saying puigedemont can stand for the elections on December 21st..
    Bit strange to give him this option considering they are filing rebellion charges against him.

Pretty much everything that everyone thinks about these issues comes from either the news or the people they know. My extended family in Crimea were out celebrating when it went back to Russia, and my friends from Barcelona can't believe what's happening around them.

There's really no point in getting involved and I'm happy to see this thread dying after the declaration of independence. It's not a humanitarian crisis and Catalans enjoy a high standard of living . If they think this will make their day-to-day lives better, then fair enough.. I just don't have or understand that level of regionalism or nationalism.

Their passports would tend to suggest otherwise

Even the ones in France?

What part of Spain is that?

What part of Spain is that?

...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Pretty much everything that everyone thinks about these issues comes from either the news or the people they know. My extended family in Crimea were out celebrating when it went back to Russia, and my friends from Barcelona can't believe what's happening around them.

There's really no point in getting involved and I'm happy to see this thread dying after the declaration of independence. It's not a humanitarian crisis and Catalans enjoy a high standard of living . If they think this will make their day-to-day lives better, then fair enough.. I just don't have or understand that level of regionalism or nationalism.

It's an odd one, because it's not as if they are being persecuted by the Spanish govt or treated as second class citizens, they have the same rights as everyone else and as you say enjoy a high standard of living. When push comes to shove how far would the people of Catalonia actually be prepared to go to fight for their independence?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Very true in my experience AbG. All too often the media - and even with the best journalistic will and integrity in the world - only scratch the surface, or see the obvious, like any other passersby.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

bilston wrote: »
    When push comes to shove how far would the people of Catalonia actually be prepared to go to fight for their independence?

I do think this is a worrying comment....they shouldn't have to fight for something...if they vote for it??

Let them hold a proper and binding poll...no need for violence from anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I do think this is a worrying comment....they shouldn't have to fight for something...if they vote for it??

Wonder what would have happened here in 1916 if we'd taken the peaceful path?

Would a majority of Irish people have voted for independence, Pre/during the Rising?

Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

LordSutch wrote: »

Would a majority of Irish people have voted for independence, Pre/during the Rising?

Probably not.

1918 elections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

1918 elections

The 1918 elections were post-Rising, post executions .....

Probably not.

We had circa 40 years of a peaceful path/home rule party before that and it lead to a dead end/foot dragging by westminister and slaughter of thousands upon thousands of Irish In ww1 cheered on by the home rule party??

1918 elections swept SF to power and rest as they say is history

All the Catalonian government needs to do to call a referendum is pass a bill in their own parliament. It's that simple but they couldn't even get a majority of votes in their own parliament so they called a referendum anyway, the the constitutional court stepped in and said the it was an illegal vote, the Catalonian government handed the vote over to a group of volunteers to organise and the pro Spanish side stayed home because why would participate in an illegal referendum that was organised by an avid group of pro independence volunteers?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The 1918 elections were post-Rising, post executions .....

It was always demonstrated that 1916 was not supported by the majority of Irish people. It was only the stupidity of the British that pushed Irish people to supporting independence.

Look at Spain, they are 100 years behind Britain in how it deals with independence!

• Advertisement

All the Catalonian government needs to do to call a referendum is pass a bill in their own parliament. It's that simple but they couldn't even get a majority of votes in their own parliament so they called a referendum anyway, the the constitutional court stepped in and said the it was an illegal vote, the Catalonian government handed the vote over to a group of volunteers to organise and the pro Spanish side stayed home because why would participate in an illegal referendum that was organised by an avid group of pro independence volunteers?

I know this??

Hence why I said,have a binding referendum and be done with it

There's no value to be got by forcing them to stay if they don't want to?

Advertisement