Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Jesus christ that team is a big gamble. Have to at this stage I suppose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mahony0509 wrote: »

I think its the right thing to do. Shake it up and limerick will find it harder to plan against us, having options from the bench will also be a factor.
    With a game under our belt we really need to start quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Would love if Darragh Fitz was given a go at wing forward. Might as well given the team that lines out is a gamble. Huge game for everyone, including Meyler.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

There's always a balance between being daring and gambling excessively. Sunday will tell a lot but this seems to be serious gambling by Cork..

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Fixture

The Cork Senior Hurling team to play Limerick in the Munster Hurling Championship has been announced.

1. Anthony Nash - Kanturk

2. Sean O' Donoghue - Inniscarra

3. Eoin Cadogan - Douglas

4. Niall O' Leary - Castlelyons

5. Robert Downey - Glen Rovers

6. Mark Ellis - Millstreet

7. Mark Coleman - Blarney

8. Bill Cooper - Youghal

9. Darragh Fitzgibbon - Charleville

10. Daniel Kearney - Sarsfields

11. Seamus Harnedy - St Itas (Captain)

12. Luke Meade - Newcestown

13. Conor Lehane - Midleton

14. Patrick Horgan - Glen Rovers

15. Aidan Walsh - Kanturk

16. Patrick Collins - Ballinhassig

17. Stephen McDonnell - Glen Rovers

18. Damien Cahalane - St Finbarrs

19. Tim O' Mahony - Newtownshandrum

20. Christopher Joyce - Na Piarsaigh

21. Ger Millerick - Fr O' Neills

22. Robbie O' Flynn - Erins Own

23. Shane Kingston - Douglas

24. Alan Cadogan - Douglas

25. Declan Dalton - Fr O' Neills

26. Jack O' Connor - Sarsfields.

Good to see radical changes were made but it’s a big gamble. Harsh on Kingston in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

Fixture wrote: »
    The Cork Senior Hurling team to play Limerick in the Munster Hurling Championship has been announced.

1. Anthony Nash - Kanturk

2. Sean O' Donoghue - Inniscarra

3. Eoin Cadogan - Douglas

4. Niall O' Leary - Castlelyons

5. Robert Downey - Glen Rovers

6. Mark Ellis - Millstreet

7. Mark Coleman - Blarney

8. Bill Cooper - Youghal

9. Darragh Fitzgibbon - Charleville

10. Daniel Kearney - Sarsfields

11. Seamus Harnedy - St Itas (Captain)

12. Luke Meade - Newcestown

13. Conor Lehane - Midleton

14. Patrick Horgan - Glen Rovers

15. Aidan Walsh - Kanturk

16. Patrick Collins - Ballinhassig

17. Stephen McDonnell - Glen Rovers

18. Damien Cahalane - St Finbarrs

19. Tim O' Mahony - Newtownshandrum

20. Christopher Joyce - Na Piarsaigh

21. Ger Millerick - Fr O' Neills

22. Robbie O' Flynn - Erins Own

23. Shane Kingston - Douglas

24. Alan Cadogan - Douglas

25. Declan Dalton - Fr O' Neills

26. Jack O' Connor - Sarsfields.

Good to see radical changes were made but it’s a big gamble. Harsh on Kingston in particular.
    His ankle must not be right

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Mahony0509 wrote: »

If we get lashed by limerick it will be seen as a mistake, but if Cork win or run Limerick close it'll be seen as a masterstroke. It's a fine line between a genius and gob****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭The White Feather

My 2 cents on last weeks match as we look forward to tomorrows match...

I thought a few things went wrong for us early on. Losing Bill Cooper right before throw in was bound to affect us. I was hoping we could keep things on lockdown for the first 10 mins at least until we settled. We got the first point and promptly gave away a goal after 3 mins. This just gives Tipp a foothold in enemy territory and puts on on the backfoot when we were at home. I don't think we got ahead for the rest of the game.

Cork seem to be having awful starts for the last few years. If its not the first half, its the second half. We either give away goals or go 10 mins without scoring anything.

Then we have the defence which one minute seems like lessons have been learned and its very solid. Next thing we have a Tipp forward in loads of space with no defender in sight. Baffling to me how this happens at this level. Teams will always get goals against you but giving them freedom in our own back line is outrageous.

I thought the ref gave loads of 50/50s to them in the first half and that happens in games. Sometimes they might go our way.No real problem with that as that's the way he saw it. The free count was in Corks favour but I jut think thats because Tipp were fouling a lot. Theres no reason that the count should be equal. The second half though he had a few baffling calls such as Horgan held and Coleman tripped.Duignan on commentary saying that he threw the ball so it was a free the other way was funny to me. He was throwing the ball out to balance it with the hurley as he is running. If he is tripped, he can't balance it so then it looks like he just threw it.

But Ref Smef, as in we didn't do our own job. I have never seen Cork so sloppy with their passing. The amount of simple passes that went wayward was astonishing. Then we had Nash pucking the ball out to a Tipp player who promptly returns it over the bar. I think that happened a couple of times. Though in his defence he saved a penalty but that looked to be mis-hit but he still had to save it.

I think if Cork hadn't been so bad with the passing we would have won even with the ref. Horgan was playing a stormer as usual. I wasn't impressed with Tipp as even with our incredibly sloppy play they were never fully in the clear until the end.

A repeat of bad passing and that no urgency of the Tipp game will definitely see us getting beaten tomorrow. We cannot afford it against Limerick. It's funny as I think Limerick peaked too soon in a sense. I mean I thought they wouldn't win the All Ireland last year but would win this year and go on to dominate it for a few years. They dominated the league and thats why i think they peaked too soon. Although if you are Limerick why wouldn't you want to win every game after winning the All Ireland and keep things going! So I may be talking through my @ss but its just a gut feeling of them peaking before their true time. No real evidence to back that one up!! :pac:

Meyler was too slow making changes as well. We were huffing and puffing and things were not going our way. I thought he should have used his subs quicker.He put on Walsh with 10 mins left and then Dalton at the 65th min.

Walsh needs a big game tomorrow or pull him off at half time. Thats what I would be thinking anyway. He needs to impose himself in this game as he is a big fella and thats why I think he may be playing. He can do it but games seem to pass him by. He is good at breaking the ball and competing in the air when he wants to and this is what we need.He has the potential to be a man of the match but also non existent so he is a frustrating player.

Niall O'Leary really impressed me the last day. He got a free given against him for no reason at one stage but he also gave away the penalty. It looked like a great tackle originally but was a clear penalty. These are the kind of things that on another day we night have got away with. Of course in a sense we still did, as Nash saved the mis-hit penalty!

I think Meyler was right in making a few changes for this game. Last week was just not good enough and you have to be thinking if I don't do it on the pitch, I will be replaced, not that I will get another go next week. Joyce had a poor game last week in particular.

This game will be incredibly tough and very hard to predict. Away from home means we need to get stuck in straight away and get a foothold. Hopefully similar to Tipp getting an early goal. The good thing is the pressure is on Limerick which should suit us at least.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Interesting article.....

Today is an auspicious one for Cork GAA - the 100th year anniversary of the first outing for the famous Blood & Bandages Jersey.

Up until May 18th, 1919, Cork teams had played in blue and saffron jerseys bearing a large yellow "C".

But in the spring of 1919 the Cork GAA offices in Cook Street were raided by occupying British forces - the jerseys were stolen and never returned.

With games coming up and and a set of jerseys needed Cork GAA turned to the Fr O’Leary Total Abstinence Hall team - which had recently amalgamated with St Finbarrs
    and as result had a set of kit that was surplus to requirements.

Those were the famous red and white colours — marked with an TA, or total abstinence, logo (Cork fans have remained famously averse to strong drink ever since)

The hurlers and footballers played Waterford in a double header on May 18th 1919 in Dungarvan and the colours haven't changed since.

* In 2016, to mark the centenary on the 1916 rising, the Cork hurlers wore a replica of original blue and saffron jersey in a national league game.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Fixture

If they were taking O Mahony out of centre back, I’d have thought he’s worth place in a half forward line that can’t win puckouts

Walsh and Downey played v limerick in league, so maybe they were always intended to start to suit the opposition. Height of Downey certainty suits his opponent. Harsh on Kingston to lose out rather than Meade, but it’s a different role I suppose

We have good options on the bench - hopefully we are still in the match when they’re introduced

• Advertisement

Half time in the Munster Minor Hurling Championship

Limerick 0-9 Cork 1-5

Munster Minor Hurling Championship Result

Limerick 0-19 Cork 1-16

Darragh Flynn with a long range leveled it at the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭topnotch

Canning causes hoggie to miss with his ****e talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Seadin

Looks like the ref has got few decisions wrong in this game as well for Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

:)

Lisha wrote: »
    :)

I hope it lasts !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭eigrod

Aidan Walsh having a storming 2nd half

eigrod wrote: »
    Aidan Walsh having a storming 2nd half

Unreal :) my son is delighted with them

Fantastic performance by Cork.
    A massive ask to go to the home of the All Ireland Champions, following an abject performance last week and win, but that's exactly what they did.
    We got stuck into them from the first whistle. Kearney with 4 points stood tall. Fitzgibbon ran and ran and ran. Coleman outstanding. Aidan Walsh showed a few posters in this thread what he can bring to the team. Alan Cadogan brought a freshness to the fowards when he came on so early. Hoggie had a few bad wides but showed himself to be the top class foward he is with the very well taken goal.

Eoin Cadigan MOTM

Take a bow John Meyler.

So many positives from the game.

Cork 1-26 v limerick 1-19

GTFI

• Registered Users Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭eigrod

There’s Frank on the sideline. He hasn’t gone away you know :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Seadin

Delighted for Aidan Walsh. He was immense. Got alot of unfair criticism. He was a nusinance to Limerick today. Great performance by Cork. They were unlucky last year against Limerick not having a bench to finish the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Eoin Cadogan MOTM, bullied the full forward all game.

What a result.

I have never seen Cork so sloppy with their passing. The amount of simple passes that went wayward was astonishing.

A repeat of bad passing and that no urgency of the Tipp game will definitely see us getting beaten tomorrow.

Walsh needs a big game tomorrow or pull him off at half time. Thats what I would be thinking anyway. He needs to impose himself in this game as he is a big fella and thats why I think he may be playing. He can do it but games seem to pass him by. He is good at breaking the ball and competing in the air when he wants to and this is what we need.He has the potential to be a man of the match but also non existent so he is a frustrating player.

These were my ciomments before the match and about last week.Huge difference this week with the passing and general play. Passes going to hand and everything was smoother.

Walsh had a great game. He was put in there to break up possession and he worked his socks off. The defence was outstanding. Brilliantly marshalled by Cadogan.Way more solid.

The limerick goal was brilliant and there was nothing we could have done about it. Sometimes you cannot stop great play.

Lehane going off was a massive blow again just like Cooper last week but Cadogan was great when he came on. Great to see him back on the pitch.

So many great displays today and we definitely needed them. Fitzgibbon,Kearney, Harnedy, both Cadogans,Coleman... the list could go on and on. Hoggie missed a few but never gives up and keeps scoring. Always knows the right thing to do.

Dalton pinging over 2 points when he came on made a difference too. Just when we looked to be hanging for a bit and they were coming back he came on and scored.Kingston looking very lively too.

I thought Meyler used the bench much better today.

Great to get that win. Going to Limerick and getting a win was a daunting task but we set out our stall much better this week. Way more physical and way better passing!

Corcaigh Abú!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭votecounts

Great Result Today

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭GeordieRebel

Great win and performance. A lot of lads really stepped up under pressure. Niall O’Leary looks a tremendous addition. Lehane will struggle to start the next game if fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Great win today!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Well done lads better than us all over the field in the second half

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Last year was last year.Limerick won the all Ireland.They deserved the all Ireland end of story.We haven't heard the last of them yet.But i felt that we were ready to prove a point today, and we did.And this is one in the eye for Anthony Daly.He was talking during the week in the examiner, stirring the pot about supposed trouble in the Cork camp, and that Limerick would beat us and end our season.Well Anthony Daly got his answer today.When will people learn, that you can never write off Cork.;)

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Ah now in fairness Anthony Daly would never strike me as a shut stirrer, unlike his previous manager in Clare..He was just giving an honest opinion that was warranted after last weeks display.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

For me Cooper was outstanding today, Joyce done good too when he came on...Ellis had a great showing too...we need to push on now, tear the Deise apart,(clocking up scores looks important) which won't be easy, they are hurting and did not become a bad team since McGrath left,and I fancy them to beat Limerick. Clare will be a dark horse and going to Ennis won't be easy....getting out of Limerick was a fecken nightmare after the game, almost half eight when I passed the commons !!!!

Advertisement