Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2017 Campaign

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Uriel. wrote: »
    Wouldn't call them a long shot as such, obviously there's a number of factors and variables, but high performers who are smart about interview approaches will do well and there's substantial promotion opportunities in recent times. Most departments have a range of grade competitions every year.

This is certainly the case. There are a number of ways to get promoted, including by open competition, which, for some, may not be such an imposition. As you say, once at the interview stage, much of it comes down to approach and other personal qualities, as in most cases in the working world.
    I was under the impression that pay increments were yearly?

Indeed. They are yearly until you reach the very top end of your grade's scale, in which case they require some additional years of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 vicrox

Let me know if you got my PM mate. Hopefully my messages arent going blank again:(

Nope, i didn't get your pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Sophia27

Got the call from clearance and really disappointed to have to turn it down. Not in a position to travel to Dublin for work at the moment. Does anyone know when the next HEO campaign might come around?! Thanks

For anyone in the job do you like it? I know it’s a more policy focused role and curious to know what it’s like day to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Sophia27 wrote: »
    Got the call from clearance and really disappointed to have to turn it down. Not in a position to travel to Dublin for work at the moment. Does anyone know when the next HEO campaign might come around?! Thanks

For anyone in the job do you like it? I know it’s a more policy focused role and curious to know what it’s like day to day.

Sorry to hear that, Sophia.

But you’ve laid the groundwork for the next competition you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tarpedo

Do you mind me asking what number you were if this was for the ao panel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Sharon2017

Is anyone on the local government campaign? I have an upcoming interview and don't know what to expect. I don't even know if this is a final stage interview or will there be something with the local authority potentially after this stage. Anyone with ANY info on this would appreciate it as this competition is quite vague compared to the others

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Chocolate Teapot

Sharon2017 wrote: »
    Is anyone on the local government campaign? I have an upcoming interview and don't know what to expect. I don't even know if this is a final stage interview or will there be something with the local authority potentially after this stage. Anyone with ANY info on this would appreciate it as this competition is quite vague compared to the others

I did the local govt competition three years ago when it ran last but I'm not sure if they've changed the process since then. I did two interviews but only because I selected two different regions. The interviews for the southern region took place in cork coco offices and the Dublin/eastern region interviews took place in fingal coco. They may have streamlined it now so you don't have to go for different interviews for the different regions, as it was a bit of a waste considering the interviews were so similar. They are very much the standard competency based interviews. It would be advisable to also do research on local authorities in Ireland, the LGMA website has some good resources and you can find a lot by just googling. Be prepared to talk about the specific stream you applied for too, as I remember they asked quite a bit on that. That was my experience but things may have changed. I thoroughly enjoyed my time on the local govt graduate programme but left early as I got the EO in the CS which is permanent while this was only a two year contract (I think it may have been extended to three). Good luck!

I did the local govt competition three years ago when it ran last but I'm not sure if they've changed the process since then. I did two interviews but only because I selected two different regions. The interviews for the southern region took place in cork coco offices and the Dublin/eastern region interviews took place in fingal coco. They may have streamlined it now so you don't have to go for different interviews for the different regions, as it was a bit of a waste considering the interviews were so similar. They are very much the standard competency based interviews. It would be advisable to also do research on local authorities in Ireland, the LGMA website has some good resources and you can find a lot by just googling. Be prepared to talk about the specific stream you applied for too, as I remember they asked quite a bit on that. That was my experience but things may have changed. I thoroughly enjoyed my time on the local govt graduate programme but left early as I got the EO in the CS which is permanent while this was only a two year contract (I think it may have been extended to three). Good luck!

Thanks so much for this helpful information! I think it has changed somewhat now as my interview is at PAS in Chapter though I had selected Southern region as my number one choice and the Eastern one too. I wonder if this is just an initial screening interview with a potential second interview with the local authority also or if they've replaced the lcoal authority interview with the PAS screening. If its just basic competency interview like the clerical one I can handle that !

Do you recall at all how many might have been hired during your campaign? The campaign is so vague that I don't even know what to expect.

Thanks so much for this helpful information! I think it has changed somewhat now as my interview is at PAS in Chapter though I had selected Southern region as my number one choice and the Eastern one too. I wonder if this is just an initial screening interview with a potential second interview with the local authority also or if they've replaced the lcoal authority interview with the PAS screening. If its just basic competency interview like the clerical one I can handle that !

Do you recall at all how many might have been hired during your campaign? The campaign is so vague that I don't even know what to expect.

I would imagine you will only have one interview, really can't imagine them having two, especially when the AOs had one interview and they are supposed to be more or less an equivalent level. There was quite a large intake, I can't remember exactly how many but the conference room in Croke park where we had our induction was pretty full!

I would imagine you will only have one interview, really can't imagine them having two, especially when the AOs had one interview and they are supposed to be more or less an equivalent level. There was quite a large intake, I can't remember exactly how many but the conference room in Croke park where we had our induction was pretty full!

Oh that's promising enough. I am around 120 on the OOM nationally for all the schemes overall at the moment so hopefully I will have a good chance provided the interview goes okay as I believe there are around 150 jobs going this time. I presume that'll switch to a regional OOM eventually. I have applied for 4 of the skill areas although I'm not certain I qualify for all of them but hopefully it would give me a better chance.

Last question if you don't mind! How long did it take for them to get the ball rolling and start making offers after your interview?

• Advertisement

Oh that's promising enough. I am around 120 on the OOM nationally for all the schemes overall at the moment so hopefully I will have a good chance provided the interview goes okay. I presume that'll switch to a regional OOM eventually. I have applied for 4 of the skill areas although I'm not certain I qualify for all of them but hopefully it would give me a better chance.

Last question if you don't mind! How long did it take for them to get the ball rolling and start making offers after your interview?

I did the interviews in the middle of March, got an offer in early/mid April and started around the 13th May for induction in Croke Park :)

I did the interviews in the middle of March, got an offer in early/mid April and started around the 13th May for induction in Croke Park :)

Oh not too bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HairyCabbage

Tarpedo wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what number you were if this was for the ao panel?

I'm wondering where they're at too, has anyone contacted them recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Sophia27

I'm wondering where they're at too, has anyone contacted them recently?

I would say they are at around 60 now

• Registered Users Posts: 30 minalaury

66 on Wed

Anybody heard from PAS this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭argonaut

Anyone who got IGEES heard anything from a department yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭evancunny95

argonaut wrote: »
    Nope. I presume we are waiting for a phone call or is it an email or letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jhdrum

argonaut wrote: »

Technically, we are all assigned to DPER and thereafter seconded at its discretion to other departments; so probably won’t hear from PAS exactly where being assigned

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

jhdrum wrote: »
    Technically, we are all assigned to DPER and thereafter seconded at its discretion to other departments; so probably won’t hear from PAS exactly where being assigned

Not anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 chimchiminee

What has the general timeframe between getting the call to say your place on the panel has been reached, to the completion of the clearance process and assignment, to the first day in the job been for anyone who has been placed so far? 😊

Things seem to have slowed down on the panel lately. Has anybody heard anything in the last week and a half?

I rang them last week and was told In the 60s but they didnt give me an exact number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Peaches91

I spoke to them this morning and was told they were on 66, I asked if it was at a standstill because it was posted that they were on 66 nearly 2 weeks ago and the person told me they expect movement this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I'd expect at least 5 appointments in March

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Uriel. wrote: »
    I'd expect at least 5 appointments in March

You're being quite precise. I'm guessing you have the inside track on something coming down the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

You're being quite precise. I'm guessing you have the inside track on something coming down the line?

There's 5 Fridays in March, albeit one's an off day.
    ;)

In my dept there's talk of internal and possibly an interdepartmental HEO comp coming up soon. I know that AOs are not eligible to apply for HEO comps, but if you are on the AO panel and waiting to be placed at the time the HEO comp can you apply? So if you're an EO at the time of application but an AO by the time the interview comes around? Really want the AO but just in case I get offered somewhere too far away it would be good to have another option!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,643 ✭✭✭billyhead

In my dept there's talk of internal and possibly an interdepartmental HEO comp coming up soon. I know that AOs are not eligible to apply for HEO comps, but if you are on the AO panel and waiting to be placed at the time the HEO comp can you apply? So if you're an EO at the time of application but an AO by the time the interview comes around? Really want the AO but just in case I get offered somewhere too far away it would be good to have another option!

Theres already an Interdepartmental HEO comp in progress. The next one wont be advertised for about another year and a half. I know Revenue and DSP are undergoing an Internal competition for HEO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

billyhead wrote: »
    I know Revenue and DSP are undergoing an Internal competition for HEO.

Ditto Ag - who are also for the first time- holding an Interdepartmental HEO and HEO ICT competition under license from PAS, at the moment. Not sure what stage in the competition processes they're at.

Advertisement