Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2017 Campaign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Chocolate Teapot

Sarahlaois wrote: »
    Hi ChocolateTeapot, Congrats on your assignment. What county did you get appointed to, if you don’t mind saying?

Pm sent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Colli_Flower86

So what exactly happens when your place on the panel (post interview) is reached? What are the steps from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

So what exactly happens when your place on the panel (post interview) is reached? What are the steps from there?

You get a call from PAS asking do you still want to proceed. They'll call at least one of your referees and you'll get an email from the Garda vetting unit. You get an email a few days later from the Garda Vetting unit stating that a disclosure has been made to PAS.

Then you get a formal offer and notification of the department you're being assigned to with the contact details of the someone from HR in that dept. You then deal with them to sort out contracts, payroll details and start dates.

Thanks quad_red!

I’m 111 on the OOM and just missed the call. Tried to call back but couldn’t get through to anyone so I replied to the email instead. I’m so nervous/excited about what comes next.

Do you get to choose which reference they contact, or do they at all tell you which it will be? Just cos it’s been so long since I applied that it would be nice to forewarn my references that they’ll be getting a call.

Thanks quad_red!

I’m 111 on the OOM and just missed the call. Tried to call back but couldn’t get through to anyone so I replied to the email instead. I’m so nervous/excited about what comes next.

Do you get to choose which reference they contact, or do they at all tell you which it will be? Just cos it’s been so long since I applied that it would be nice to forewarn my references that they’ll be getting a call.

No, I didn't get a choice but they told me which one they were going to call so I was able to give them a heads up.

Re the garda vetting - you have to put down all the places you've lived. And if there is any mistake they resend the link and you lose all the info and have to re-enter everything in again.

So I highly recommend writing it all out in a document first and copying and pasting it in.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice! How long does the eVetting usually take? I read somewhere that it can be up to 12 weeks.

Thanks for the advice! How long does the eVetting usually take? I read somewhere that it can be up to 12 weeks.

Mine took a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭billyhead

Does anyone know what the dress code would be for an AO working in the Dept of Finance. One of my friends is due to start working their in a few weeks. Would it be smart casual (trousers, shirt and jumper) or professional (suit)?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

billyhead wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the dress code would be for an AO working in the Dept of Finance. One of my friends is due to start working their in a few weeks. Would it be smart casual (trousers, shirt and jumper) or professional (suit)?

It depends on the section- in general it would be smart casual for normal wear- and a suit for meetings/external customers........ It depends though- its better to dress up on day 1 and over do it- rather than assume you can dress down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Finance might be a bit more buttoned-up. In my Dept I started with a suit, and do that for meetings, etc, but vary between shirt and jeans/khakis and t-shirt and jeans otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

If you have suits, wear them.

If you don't, get a few trousers and shirts and a ties.

Things will be a little more informal over summer as it'll be getting warmer, that could be a good time to stock up on formal wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks folks. So suit for 1st day and shirt, tie and trousers after unless attending meetings with delegates in which case a suit is required again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Thanks folks. So suit for 1st day and shirt, tie and trousers after unless attending meetings with delegates in which case a suit is required again.

No, in my opinion wear a suit if you have one. That can be worn casually without a tie on days when you're not attending meetings.

Definitely don't go more casual than shirt and formal trousers, unless its a Friday in which case you could go with more casual slacks - again provided you're not attending meetings.

An AO should always be prepared to be called into the Minister or Secretary General at short notice.

I admit I do keep an emergency shirt and suit jacket hanging up at all times, and a pair of appropriate shoes in a desk drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭evancunny95

I admit I do keep an emergency shirt and suit jacket hanging up at all times, and a pair of appropriate shoes in a desk drawer.
    Really! Ok so definitely best option is to play it safe for the first while with full suit. I will be in the evaluation and audit unit in Iveagh House so was not sure if that was a bit more casual or formal but was going to go with the suit on the first day regardless but glad this has been cleared up!

Yeah, to be honest it doesn't hurt to go formal first and relax later. I work mostly on policy in a section that's very much off doing its own things, so unless I'm attending meetings/events I'm at my desk all day and don't have any high-level / external contact outside of email. Your mileage may well vary, and it's good practice to manage perceptions at the outset. I've been here a year, passed my probation, and people know I can go full formal at short notice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I agree with managing perceptions at the outset, though, ultimately, you will be judged primarily on the work you produce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Has anybody here been appointed as an AO who was previously a serving civil servant?

I’ve just been informed I’m due a small pay rise and then no increment until 2022!!

This means not only will I not gain from this promotion, I’ll lose thousands of euros compared to where I would have been on my original EO Scale.

I’m furious here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Has anybody here been appointed as an AO who was previously a serving civil servant?

I’ve just been informed I’m due a small pay rise and then no increment until 2022!!

This means not only will I not gain from this promotion, I’ll lose thousands of euros compared to where I would have been on my original EO Scale.

I’m furious here

Was it in writing? Maybe a typo?

I was a serving civil servant and got a small increase straight away and then after 6 months I went onto next scale which wasn’t much but after a year is my first main increment.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Woopsey

I’m furious here

Yep. Would have had to marktime in till the scale caught up with me. Decided not to take it but I was a new HEO so an easier decision.

Heard the same from others.

• Advertisement

I just had a look at my contract and I started on an ‘off point scale’ so I went to one of the main points on pay scale after 6 months and a year from that date will be my increment date going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I’m furious here

"marking time" it would seem - to ensaure you do not lose money upon promotion

this applies where, as you are currently earning more than the 1st point of AO you start higher up the AO scale but then must "mark time" until you can get increments again

the flip side is that you are earning three increments more than other new
    AOs

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Chocolate Teapot

I'm on an off point scale too but I had no idea that future increments could be frozen for years. Did you get any clarification on this Halloween Jack? Starting to get worried!

Riskymove wrote: »
    "marking time" it would seem - to ensaure you do not lose money upon promotion

this applies where, as you are currently earning more than the 1st point of AO you start higher up the AO scale but then must "mark time" until you can get increments again

the flip side is that you are earning three increments more than other new
    AOs

I was earning more than the first scale of AO when I was appointed but didn’t have to do this?

AGC wrote: »
    I was earning more than the first scale of AO when I was appointed but didn’t have to do this?

? did you mean EO?

I think it is being closely enforced these days with chnages like peoplepoint etc

? did you mean EO?

I think it is being closely enforced these days with chnages like peoplepoint etc

This seems to be the case. The rule was always there but was not applied by individual departments so typically you would mark time for a short while as in the case above.

It means I will lose thousands over the next 4 years on taking an AO position, ie more responsibility etc.

I was appointed EO on an open competition and only marked time for a few months.

Not sure what to do to be honest. If it is not rectified I will have to revert to EO and apply for the next internal HEO.

Very disappointing.

If I find out that others have not had to mark time in a similar fashion I will seek to challenge by whatever means at my disposal

? did you mean EO?

No AO, I was an EO and when appointed AO I was on more than the 1st point on AO scale.

Does that mean I should be marking time?

It’s clear in my contract when my increment is due.

No AO, I was an EO and when appointed AO I was on more than the 1st point on AO scale.

sorry I confused your post with Halloween Jack's posts

• Advertisement

Does that mean I should be marking time?

It’s clear in my contract when my increment is due.

it depends

what point of AO scale did you start on?

Advertisement