Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2017 Campaign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 foggyflies

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Revenue run their own competitions. For good reason. Any Revenue grade is a a grade, if not two sometimes, above the rest of the service; in my experience.

Revenue do take people from open competitions from time to time. It's a lot less common but it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Revenue run their own competitions. For good reason. Any Revenue grade is a a grade, if not two sometimes, above the rest of the service; in my experience.

In the past revenue had specific grades, tax officer/ higher tax officer/ inspector of taxes etc. These have all been amalgamated now though and the grades are identical to the wider civil service ones

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

So Revenue are a cut above the rest of the Civil Service? i.e. an AO/HEO in Revenue equates to an AP or PO in other offices or departments?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

rostalof wrote: »
    So Revenue are a cut above the rest of the Civil Service? i.e. an AO/HEO in Revenue equates to an AP or PO in other offices or departments?

Of course not.
    However- in many Divisions- despite them being general service grades- there would be an expectation that you'd do the professional exams- and your work and personal development would be set out specifically towards this end.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

Of course not.
    However- in many Divisions- despite them being general service grades- there would be an expectation that you'd do the professional exams- and your work and personal development would be set out specifically towards this end.

My comment was a little tongue in cheek. I've been in two divisions in Revenue and I'm well aware of the requirements regarding professional exams and qualifications. But if "any Revenue grade is a a grade, if not two sometimes, above the rest of the service", I'm asking for an extra increment or two tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Bella1978

Regarding the Local Government part of this competition. I had my interview a couple of weeks ago - I forgot to ask when the results would be out. Did anyone else ask?

Also anyone know what number they are on now for the AOs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

In the past revenue had specific grades, tax officer/ higher tax officer/ inspector of taxes etc. These have all been amalgamated now though and the grades are identical to the wider civil service ones

Very aware of that. Identical grades on pay. But far more required of a candidate and subsequently as an employee; per grade. No comparison. That's all I'm saying. From experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Very aware of that. Identical grades on pay. But far more required of a candidate and subsequently as an employee; per grade. No comparison. That's all I'm saying. From experience.

Depends entirely on the role. Lots of customer service roles etc that are identical to those found elsewhere in the service imo.

Would agree on audit though, a tough gig for the grades it’s typically pitched at, Plus the knowledge abilities and quals are generally beyond comparative positions found elsewhere, again imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

They've pushed on the general AO panel. In late nineties now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 irishguy2017

quad_red wrote: »
    They've pushed on the general AO panel. In late nineties now.

Did they say what number they were on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

Does anyone have a rough idea how many people were placed on the panel? Just wondering when / if they'll run a second round.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Mac0783 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a rough idea how many people were placed on the panel? Just wondering when / if they'll run a second round.

Also- how many were called in the first batch to Stage 2?
    I'm guessing someone @ 870 in order of merit @ Stage 1- is hoping for hell to freeze over.......? :(

Also- how many were called in the first batch to Stage 2?
    I'm guessing someone @ 870 in order of merit @ Stage 1- is hoping for hell to freeze over.......? :(

They called up to 223 on the order of merit to stage 2, which amounted to 260 candidates they said

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

They called up to 223 on the order of merit to stage 2, which amounted to 260 candidates they said

I think it was up to 123 on the order of merit? which was 260 candidates, do we know that the highest number is on the panel? anyone want to tell us? could we assume 50% of people interviewed made the panel or would it be higher on average?

Mac0783 wrote: »
    I think it was up to 123 on the order of merit? which was 260 candidates, do we know that the highest number is on the panel? anyone want to tell us? could we assume 50% of people interviewed made the panel or would it be higher on average?

No they said 123 initially which was a mistake and they sent a message to everyones messageboard to say that it was meant to be 223 on the order of merit.

baba87 wrote: »
    Has anyone else received this correction message? I didn't. But I was outside the 123/223 threshold.

Just curious as I'm ranked 261 in the order of merit (Although I've seen at least two other people on this thread say they are ranked 261 also :confused:). I feel a little bit more optimistic they might get down that far if 223=260 people rather 123=260 people.

Hi Baba,

The correction message was as follows:
    Graduate Opportunities in the Civil Service - Administrative Officer 2017

Campaign Id: xxxxx

Candidate Id:xxxxx

Dear xxxxx

Further to the message sent yesterday evening, please note we are calling up to 223 on order of merit not 123 as previously confirmed.

Kind regards

• Registered Users Posts: 30 baba87

Hi Baba,

The correction message was as follows:

Good to know, cheers!

Anyone hear from PAS this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bella1978

Yes, I was in the middle 80s. I was offered Dublin and have turned it down.

Has anyone heard anything from the Local Government Panel yet - regarding results - I interviewed for it over four weeks ago.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Peaches91

The AO panel is in the late 90s now

• Advertisement

Peaches91 wrote: »
    The AO panel is in the late 90s now

they haven't really moved since last monday then so unfortunately

Am in clearance and have been given an indication of the Dept I’ll be assigned to.

Been told discussions re start dates etc won’t happen until I complete clearance, the Dept is formally assigned and the HR in the Dept contact me.

Interesting times.

And interesting seeing where the poll is at

http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/geiqfj/ao-campaign-201718/view/pdezxy

Am in clearance and have been given an indication of the Dept I’ll be assigned to.

Been told discussions re start dates etc won’t happen until I complete clearance, the Dept is formally assigned and the HR in the Dept contact me.

Interesting times.

And interesting seeing where the poll is at

http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/geiqfj/ao-campaign-201718/view/pdezxy

What number were you on the panel?

What number were you on the panel?

mid nineties

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭evancunny95

@IGEES panel, I thought on the first form we filled in at the start of the process it was stated that any assignment would be in Dublin and therefore we didnt have to put anything down location wise? I ask as I've just gotten off the phone to Department of Foreign Affairs who mentioned for the first time that I will probably be based in Limerick. That was the first I heard of even potentially being placed outside Dublin but do correct me if Im wrong. Limerick would be a massive ask for me, I could commute from my home to Dublin city but to Limerick is impossible and then that leaves moving to Limerick and all that entails. 

Any advice would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jhdrum

@IGEES panel, I thought on the first form we filled in at the start of the process it was stated that any assignment would be in Dublin and therefore we didnt have to put anything down location wise? I ask as I've just gotten off the phone to Department of Foreign Affairs who mentioned for the first time that I will probably be based in Limerick. That was the first I heard of even potentially being placed outside Dublin but do correct me if Im wrong. Limerick would be a massive ask for me, I could commute from my home to Dublin city but to Limerick is impossible and then that leaves moving to Limerick and all that entails. 

That's very unreasonable, to land that on you at this late stage. Probably best to ask them if it is possible to work out of a Dublin office, even if the rest of the team is based in Limerick. Might also be useful to ring PER and ask to speak to the IGEES section, to see if there is anything they could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭evancunny95

jhdrum wrote: »

That's very unreasonable, to land that on you at this late stage. Probably best to ask them if it is possible to work out of a Dublin office, even if the rest of the team is based in Limerick. Might also be useful to ring PER and ask to speak to the IGEES section, to see if there is anything they could do.
    Thanks Jhdrum, yeah I thought it was a bit much myself. No inclination at all over the last few months that any of the roles were outside Dublin. Will wait for Department to get back to me to confirm where Ill be placed, but yeah I thought it strange that this was the first I heard of it. Hopefully PER will be understanding if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Chocolate Teapot

I got offered dublin a while back and turned it down. Thought I was out of the competition but am happy to say I have been appointed as an AO in my own department. So hopefully others who turned down Dublin will get some good news re regional positions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭CMR23

Hi there, does anyone know when and if they will call another round for interviews? I placed, but not very well 800- I am curious as to how last year went and what the initial number of merit was that they called onto the next stages....thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Sarahlaois

I got offered dublin a while back and turned it down. Thought I was out of the competition but am happy to say I have been appointed as an AO in my own department. So hopefully others who turned down Dublin will get some good news re regional positions :)
    Hi ChocolateTeapot, Congrats on your assignment. What county did you get appointed to, if you don’t mind saying?

Advertisement