Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2017 Campaign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 irishguy2017

hardybuck wrote: »
    I don't think so at all. Panel is only live a month.

Well actually if you look at the panel this time last year they had contacted up to number 50, if not above and it was live for the same amount of time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Well actually if you look at the panel this time last year they had contacted up to number 50, if not above and it was live for the same amount of time!!

They could contact 20 people tomorrow and balance that up.

In 2016, the panel lasted until mid summer, so the demand for AOs in early 2017 was huge.

To counteract that, they brought in a larger panel in 2017, and were able to recruit into September/October I think. Therefore the initial demand won't be as severe.

Nothing to see here basically.

They could contact 20 people tomorrow and balance that up.

In 2016, the panel lasted until mid summer, so the demand for AOs in early 2017 was huge.

To counteract that, they brought in a larger panel in 2017, and were able to recruit into September/October I think. Therefore the initial demand won't be as severe.

Nothing to see here basically.

They could also contact 2, nobody knows!! But as I said it is slightly lower down the panel from last year, which was the point I was trying to make.

They could also contact 2, nobody knows!! But as I said it is slightly lower down the panel from last year, which was the point I was trying to make.

Based on information from boards?

Based on information from boards?

Yes

• Advertisement

Yes

The information here is quite hit and miss, and I wouldn't rely on it. We're splitting hairs though because we don't actually know where they're at as of now.

This year should be much like the last, subject to the candidate mix and their behaviour. How many of them are civil servants already, what part of the country are they from etc etc.

The actual data will emerge over time.

The information here is quite hit and miss, and I wouldn't rely on it. We're splitting hairs though because we don't actually know where they're at as of now.

This year should be much like the last, subject to the candidate mix and their behaviour. How many of them are civil servants already, what part of the country are they from etc etc.

The actual data will emerge over time.

I agree it's hit and miss but that's what the vast majority of people are on here for, taking and giving any information possible. But as of this morning PAS said they were on number 38, take that information as hit or miss as you like.

I agree it's hit and miss but that's what the vast majority of people are on here for, taking and giving any information possible. But as of this morning PAS said they were on number 38, take that information as hit or miss as you like.

I will. Because it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Departments only need DPER sanction for posts at PO and above.

There would normally be significantly more HEOs taken on because there are more HEO posts out there generally, even with the current mad frenzy for AO recruitment.

As a matter of interest - is a stated policy that more AO's should be taken on board now?

quad_red wrote: »
    As a matter of interest - is a stated policy that more AO's should be taken on board now?

No. It's a case of demand coming from individual Departments.

• Advertisement

No. It's a case of demand coming from individual Departments.

Thanks, Hardybuck.

Would you say the AOs being hired are largely filling existing AO/policy positions are AOs being put into places/sections where they haven't been before?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Thanks, Hardybuck.

Would you say the AOs being hired are largely filling existing AO/policy positions are AOs being put into places/sections where they haven't been before?

A mixture of both. I know of one large CS body that had no AOs until November 2017. The total now stands at three, as far as I can tell.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    A mixture of both. I know of one large CS body that had no AOs until November 2017. The total now stands at three, as far as I can tell.

Thanks Ravelleman (and apologies for poorly written post on the go).

That’s really interesting. And this CS body you mentioned - are the new AO’s sitting together as a new policy unit or are they separated into different areas?

Thanks, Hardybuck.

I think there is probably a mix.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Thanks Ravelleman (and apologies for poorly written post on the go).

That’s really interesting. And this CS body you mentioned - are the new AO’s sitting together as a new policy unit or are they separated into different areas?

The AOs happen to sit in close proximity to one another but work in different areas. Not all AOs are in policy roles - that really depends on the department. The range of tasks is quite diverse and this can change from project to project.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭evancunny95

Just wondering what the average age of an AO would be roughly. They advertise the position as a graduate job but the AOs I know are a good few years older than me and graduated years ago. The term graduate role seems quite a loose one then in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Just wondering what the average age of an AO would be roughly. They advertise the position as a graduate job but the AOs I know are a good few years older than me and graduated years ago. The term graduate role seems quite a loose one then in that case.

the phrase relates to the fact that you require a degree. Givne the recent crash a lot of people took any job going which has meant that a range of people have come in as AOs

The recovery has led to a change again and it seems many are the more usual recent graduates or exisiting civil servants with a degree.

As you can now enter the civil service up to PO level many AOs are moving upwards after only a short time. This level fo turnover is porbbaly with us for a couple of years yet as the recovery continues.

It is a graduate role only insofar as you must have a degree in order to apply and don't necessarily need to have any work experience. In reality, many AOs would have some postgraduate qualifications and/or work experience as well, but this is by no means always the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lilt

Once they ask for Garda clearance and current employer reference does this mean it's safe to say it to your manager or hang tough for a letter? Does anyone know how many IGEES people were placed last year? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭evancunny95

lilt wrote: »
    Once they ask for Garda clearance and current employer reference does this mean it's safe to say it to your manager or hang tough for a letter? Does anyone know how many IGEES people were placed last year? Thanks
    I think I read somewhere 10, dont quote me on that though but I believe I saw it on some PAS graduate presentation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jhdrum

Jeez, I hope so, I already have said, I'm 13 and am in clearance

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tarpedo

Any word on where they are this week?

if you email clearance@publicjobs.ie and ask where on the panel they are, they should let you know

if you email clearance@publicjobs.ie and ask where on the panel they are, they should let you know

A friend called them and they said they were up to 50 on the order of merit on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tarpedo

A friend called them and they said they were up to 50 on the order of merit on Monday.

I just got an email there saying they are on 55 as of today

They’re rightly motoring through them. At this pace I’ll be up by March.

Decisions, decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bella1978

Hi, has anyone heard anything about the local government comp which ran alongside this one. I believe they said they were holding interviews mid Feb - seems like people should be notified by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Bobby04

Being at Garda clearance stage indicates that someone has a position to offer you, but it is still no guarantee that you will pass that clearance! People have failed that stage much to their surprise and horror and often through no fault of their own, so I wouldn't quite crap on the boss's desk at that stage!!

Hi folks,

A quick question about hours.

The booklet says 43 hrs 15 mins per week. Does that incl a lunch hour?

Otherwise that’s 9am to 630pm every day for 30k pa.

That’s surely not right?

Quad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭argonaut

Hi folks,

A quick question about hours.

The booklet says 43 hrs 15 mins per week. Does that incl a lunch hour?

Otherwise that’s 9am to 630pm every day for 30k pa.

That’s surely not right?

Quad

I believe it does include lunch.

Advertisement