Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2017 Campaign

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

hardybuck wrote: »
    If you get promoted via an internal competition, you are also subject to a one year probation. However, it's slightly different that you get reverted to the grade you left if it doesn't work out.

I'm not sure what happens to internal candidates who are promoted via open competitions.

I know that but just what Conductor said is different to what I have seen happening, wondering are rules being bent or just ignored!

If you are a civil servant and are promoting on an open competition it is still 1 year probation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

AGC wrote: »
    I know that but just what Conductor said is different to what I have seen happening, wondering are rules being bent or just ignored!

If you are a civil servant and are promoting on an open competition it is still 1 year probation.

If you are getting any new position through internal promotion or via an open competition, you'll be doing a one year probation. It's one thing that Departments are really stringent on, and they've been focusing on a lot more on in recent years.

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether internal candidates coming through open competition get a new entrant probation contract, or the probation contract for established Civil Servants. Both last a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jnking

Hey - I'm in the early 30's on the AO panel but I'm also in the top 20 for the EO. (It never rains but it pours). PAS told me next stage for the EO - clearance - will be sought in the next couple of days. Naturally I would rather the AO role - even though the starting salary are pretty much the same.

Does anybody who has been through this know how long this clearance takes (I'm not a civil servant) and that if I get it rolling for the EO can they subsequently use it for the AO?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 irishguy2017

jnking wrote: »
    Hey - I'm in the early 30's on the AO panel but I'm also in the top 20 for the EO. (It never rains but it pours). PAS told me next stage for the EO - clearance - will be sought in the next couple of days. Naturally I would rather the AO role - even though the starting salary are pretty much the same.

Does anybody who has been through this know how long this clearance takes (I'm not a civil servant) and that if I get it rolling for the EO can they subsequently use it for the AO?

From what i can remember, when they received my health form it took about a week from then until I was assigned my dept.

If you are getting any new position through internal promotion or via an open competition, you'll be doing a one year probation. It's one thing that Departments are really stringent on, and they've been focusing on a lot more on in recent years.

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether internal candidates coming through open competition get a new entrant probation contract, or the probation contract for established Civil Servants. Both last a year.

Think you are missing my earlier point which was that it seems you need to be established at a grade 2 years to be entitled to an internal promotion, whereas I have seen this not being implemented at times.

I am currently on probabtion as an AO and if things didn’t go to plan I go back to my previous civil service role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 vicrox

Has anyone had their interview for the role of Economist for the IGEES. Mine is tomorrow and I’m sitting in CDG airport as we speak trying to prepare. What was it like? I would greatly appreciate your advice. Thank you in advance!!!

Has anyone had their interview for the role of Economist for the IGEES. Mine is tomorrow and I’m sitting in CDG airport as we speak trying to prepare. What was it like? I would greatly appreciate your advice. Thank you in advance!!!

A health form? I'm not at that stage they are doing Garda clearance - but I see in the CO comp this was taking months?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭argonaut

vicrox wrote: »

I've mine this afternoon too, best of luck to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

it seems you need to be established at a grade 2 years to be entitled to an internal promotion,

you need two years established service but it can be at any grade...not the grade you are in

this is why some people can go for promotion after they complete 1 year probation in current grade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HairyCabbage

Anymore people been placed?

Into the mid 30's on the panel....

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Sophia27

Does anyone know what the take home pay is? Presume it's not a big increase on EO. Thanks

They're on number 38 as of today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

They're on number 38 as of today

Will this pace continue or is there pent up demand from the end of last year?

quad_red wrote: »
    Will this pace continue or is there pent up demand from the end of last year?

No idea, but the pace seems to be slightly slower than last year anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭evancunny95

IGEES results out. 8th on OM decent chance?

IGEES results out. 8th on OM decent chance?

I’ve been placed at 30 OM. So yes you do have a decent chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

There's considerable pent up demand. I've heard there are some issues with dper sign offs though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Uriel. wrote: »
    There's considerable pent up demand. I've heard there are some issues with dper sign offs though.

Looks like there are several hundred new HEOs in the pipeline- several Departments seem to be giving up on AOs and going for HEOs instead- as DPER were refusing to sign off on all the requested AOs.

PAS has never been as busy as it is at the moment- the poor staff in there!

• Advertisement

Looks like there are several hundred new HEOs in the pipeline- several Departments seem to be giving up on AOs and going for HEOs instead- as DPER were refusing to sign off on all the requested AOs.

Any logic behind it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Any logic behind it?

No obvious reason- other than DPER being a lot easier on sanctioning HEOs than AOs (esp. for 'non-traditional' Departments)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

All of the AO training requirements are adding to the burden. Not saying that it's the primary reason but has an impact. Also longer term retention

All of the AO training requirements are adding to the burden. Not saying that it's the primary reason but has an impact. Also longer term retention

I am not surprised by this. I’ve been bombarded, on top of the graduate programme, with very regular talks I just find myself missing because I am in a non policy section I just expect my AP to tell me to F off

I don't understand this comment. Are you suggesting that more HEOs are being taken on because of training requirements?

Traditionally there wasn't that many AOs in the system at all, and only the central Departments took them. I would see this period as very much the exception to the norm.

I am not surprised by this. I’ve been bombarded, on top of the graduate programme, with very regular talks I just find myself missing because I am in a non policy section I just expect my AP to tell me to F off

You should be aiming to get into a policy section ASAP, and your manager should be aware that your grade is a development grade.

No idea, but the pace seems to be slightly slower than last year anyway

I don't think so at all. Panel is only live a month.

Departments only need DPER sanction for posts at PO and above.

There would normally be significantly more HEOs taken on because there are more HEO posts out there generally, even with the current mad frenzy for AO recruitment.

You should be aiming to get into a policy section ASAP, and your manager should be aware that your grade is a development grade.

No joy, probabtion and with vacancies still to be filled in section no hope for a while yet.

• Advertisement

No joy, probabtion and with vacancies still to be filled in section no hope for a while yet.

Keep the chin up and keep your eyes peeled.

Be prepared to take secondment opportunities if they arise.

Advertisement