Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Maybe they just weren't good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

While David Moran is not completely to blame for today's loss, it is unfair to dismiss anyone criticising. He has done this repeatedly in clutch moments - stupid kicks, running into the tackle and general brain-dead decision making.

I appreciate his spectacular catches and his leadership capabilities over the years, but if he can't see by now that he should not be shooting, then it's time to hang up the boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Coybig_ wrote: »
    Way over the top criticism there. Not acceptable IMO. These are amateurs in testing times.

Not at all. He has cost Kerry massively in 3 massive games and will continue to do so. Gaining and keeping possession is fine, kicking and decision making for a man of his experience is shocking. That kick today wouldnt look out of place in a junior b game. His time is up hopefully.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    I wouldnt say that's Corks All Ireland. What I would say is that was one of kerrys worst performances..clueless..No leaders. Jack O Connor wouldn't have let that happen.

Its definitely their all Ireland. They might limp past Tipp but will be beaten out the gate against whoever they play after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Coybig_ wrote: »
    Way over the top criticism there. Not acceptable IMO. These are amateurs in testing times.

It was amateur alright. Even an U-12 player knows you keep possession and wait for an opportunity to score when keeping a 2 point lead in a knockout game. The most important game of our season to win. You don’t just decide to have a go from nowhere unless you’re chasing a win in the dying seconds. Absolutely terrible from Moran and that’s not over the top criticism, it’s the facts of this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Why did David Moran attempt that kick from nowhere when he had Seánie Shea unmarked alongside him. 2 points up and gifts the possession to Cork who go on to score. He’s very frustrating.

And he’s done it again. Two in a row now. If we lose this he’s got a lot of explaining to do.

Edit: game over. It’s on David Moran for me. Two pointless attempts at goal when we were under no pressure for a score. Ridiculous. See you all in 2021.

I agree with you totally, and isnt the first time he's been guilty of it in big games.
    For me he's too pedestrian, and simply for a man of his size, not strong enough around the middle of the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Brain dead stuff by Moran. Hold onto the ****ing ball instead of giving it away. Awful wides and free taking was very poor. Very frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭MFPM

What a result or Cork...Pat Spillane and Tomas O Se will be sick given their dismissiveness of Cork this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Its easy to blame Moran but you could also say that Clifford missed a couple of points and Seanie mouthing cost us another point, game should have been over by full time.

Its easy to blame Moran but you could also say that Clifford missed a couple of points and Seanie mouthing cost us another point, game should have been over by full time.

Clifford was very poor for the most part. Not sure why he didn't take the mark

Edit
    But he's still only young. Tommy Walsh and 8Moran should know better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

them lads will learn...... Moran should by now know better...

That's why I said despite the overall performance, Moran is to blame. Lads will have an off day but you need lads to keep their heads at vital moments and Moran shít the bed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Kerry were terrible today and their negative approach cost them..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭redarmy

kerryjack wrote: »
    I expect it to be over at half time.

Close

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Negative approach by Kerry with the intention of stopping Cork at all costs. Probably wont hear Spillane call it "puke football" but thats what it is.
    Players like Clifford, Moran, O Se deserve better from the sideline

Edgware wrote: »
    Negative approach by Kerry with the intention of stopping Cork at all costs. Probably wont hear Spillane call it "puke football" but thats what it is.
    Players like Clifford, Moran, O Se deserve better from the sideline

Moran was part of the problem. Needed a leader and he cost us. Again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

siblers wrote: »
    Brain dead stuff by Moran. Hold onto the ****ing ball instead of giving it away. Awful wides and free taking was very poor. Very frustrating
    Both teams were as bad. Kerry were trying Dublins tactics of holding possession and running down the clock but there is a risk with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

That's a gut punch

We have gone back since Fitzmaurice. No doubt.

13 laboured points in 90 minutes.

Says it all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Kerry had plenty of opportunities to win this game. Numerous uncharacteristic misses both from placed balls and from play and some really poor game management towards the end from guys who have enough miles on the clock to know better.

Tactics puzzling from the outset. We went out to defend, we didn't set up to win the game.

Fair play to Cork, they rode their luck, kept in there punching to the bitter end. Good luck to them in the final.

That's a gut punch

We have gone back since Fitzmaurice. No doubt.

13 laboured points in 90 minutes.

Says it all

Lets not lose the run of ourselves here. It was an off day from 1-15 and just a bad day for it to happen. Things are far better than they were at the end of the EF era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Edgware wrote: »
    Both teams were as bad. Kerry were trying Dublins tactics of holding possession and running down the clock but there is a risk with that.

And thats fine. But you dont see the dubs give possession back in that situation with hail mary attempts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

dobman88 wrote: »
    Lets not lose the run of ourselves here. It was an off day from 1-15 and just a bad day for it to happen. Things are far better than they were at the end of the EF era.

Are they really? Take Clifford aside would many get into the Dublin team?

thesultan wrote: »
    Are they really?

Yes. 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

Peter Keane got this game completely wrong. If I’m an opposing team and I see Begley and Buckley playing wing forward I would gain confidence straight away. Cork knew then they had no wing forwards to defend against and could concentrate on pinning White and Murphy back which they did well. Outside of his black card Buckley played well as a utility player but as I’ve said before I don’t think these types of players will win you All Irelands and as shown today not even a Munster semi. Begley just gives away frees, he must have something over Peter Keane for him to get the start today.

David Clifford scored the best point I’ve ever seen today. You know the one.

I’ve posted before here about David Moran. The man is a headless chicken and not a leader, never has been. A phenomenal midfielder who can dictate a game with fielding, passing, strength etc but as soon as the pressure is on he crumbles time and time again. He has cost us All Irelands and alongside Peter Keane cost us today’s game. Thank you for everything David but please consider retiring.

Spillane was excellent when he came on. Our best player today.

The conditions were awful so was never going to be high scoring but theres something wrong with their inability to see out games. It's like they need a two score lead to be safe.

One point up with a minute to play. You should send it into the corner where there is a runner or keep possession. Then to leave Walsh on his own on the edge of the box for the final kick. It's awful game management.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Easily one of the worst championship performances I’ve seen Kerry have in my lifetime.

I’ve long been a defender of Moran but his decision making was woeful today & that’s prob the end of him.

We were so rubbish it’s hard to put into words and I also think that should be the end of Keane, he had a whole game & extra time to try change something and he wasn’t able. Guy seems in over his head.

A team completely devoid of leadership or direction

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

thesultan wrote: »
    Are they really? Take Clifford aside would many get into the Dublin team?

How many from most counties wud get on the Dublin team. Can't use that as a barometer

Easily one of the worst championship performances I’ve seen Kerry have in my lifetime.

I’ve long been a defender of Moran but his decision making was woeful today & that’s prob the end of him.

We were so rubbish it’s hard to put into words and I also think that should be the end of Keane, he had a whole game & extra time to try change something and he wasn’t able. Guy seems in over his head.

A team completely devoid of leadership or direction

I'd give Keane another full season at least. He didn't do himself any favours today but needs more time. If its the same carry on next season then would probably be time for him to go

How many from most counties wud get on the Dublin team. Can't use that as a barometer

Sean O'Shea probably would. Killin Spillane and Daea Moynihan probably would in a year or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭wonga77

Ive nothing to add that has been said really. Surprisingly defensive and Keane must take a share of the blame. No leadership whatsoever around the middle when things got tough, oh how we needed a Declan Sullivan type player to get on the ball and kill the game. Moran doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes at all. I don't think I've ever seen Cliffrd take as many wrong options as he did either. Its a tough defeat but will stand to the younger lads, i get the feeling they took their eye off the ball here

Advertisement