Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

keane2097 wrote: »
    I don't think Cork are too bad actually. Decent forward line, good at winning possession around the middle and loads of pace and endeavor in the backs. They've been crying out for some decent organisation for years, maybe they're starting to get it together. It's beyond belief that they wouldn't have 20 footballers in the county as good as anywhere else.

Problem in Cork is getting the best footballers fit and focused on one sport only. It’s slowly dawning that at the top level you can only commit to one sport. A lot of young talent coming through. Conditions didn’t suit us ether today. Physically not as strong and running game impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I definitely would not be getting rid of Keane. I give him another year. However today was not a good day at the office. It hard to know where you could have changed team selection. From your the way SOB played when he came on it obvious he was not good enough to start.

We missed Adrian Spillane or a player like him to cover ground and do the right thing with the ball. If we had started Killian Spillane I not sure Buckley would have offered the same cool head coming on.
    Not sure why neither O'Donoghue or Geaney were an option on the Bench At times you need an old head on days like this.

Denis Moran made some horrible shot selections in extra time as well as getting turned over as well. It not the first time and I have taken him off instead of Jack Barry. I not sure was Jeane half worried about penalties at that stage bringing on Paudie Clifford

Conditions were horrible I know it the same for both teams but the conditions probably did not suit the way we were set up. I watching the fine day they had above in Connaught for the Mayo/Roscommon match.

Finally Cork are much better that people think. I can see Cian O'Neill's fingerprint on them. He a superb trainer. Cork were running and moving well even in extra time. We were not. Cork stayed in the game. Cork may struggle against Tipperary but should have enough to beat them. But they will give whatever team comes out of Connuaght a right game of it. They could well make the Final.

Slava Ukrainii

I definitely would not be getting rid of Keane. I give him another year. However today was not a good day at the office. It hard to know where you could have changed team selection. From your the way SOB played when he came on it obvious he was not good enough to start.

We missed Adrian Spillane or a player like him to cover ground and do the right thing with the ball. If we had started Killian Spillane I not sure Buckley would have offered the same cool head coming on.
    Not sure why neither O'Donoghue or Geaney were an option on the Bench At times you need an old head on days like this.

Denis Moran made some horrible shot selections in extra time as well as getting turned over as well. It not the first time and I have taken him off instead of Jack Barry. I not sure was Jeane half worried about penalties at that stage bringing on Paudie Clifford

Conditions were horrible I know it the same for both teams but the conditions probably did not suit the way we were set up. I watching the fine day they had above in Connaught for the Mayo/Roscommon match.

Finally Cork are much better that people think. I can see Cian O'Neill's fingerprint on them. He a superb trainer. Cork were running and moving well even in extra time. We were not. Cork stayed in the game. Cork may struggle against Tipperary but should have enough to beat them. But they will give whatever team comes out of Connuaght a right game of it. They could well make the Final.

Cork will never fear Mayo or Galway provided they get over Tipp which on form and players they should. Croke park on a reasonable day should suit their running game too. Anyway as for Kerry it was a 50/50 game and they got caught in the end. It happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭Rosita

lawred2 wrote: »
    I'd like groups of four/five followed by knockouts to the end..

You must be a big fan of the Super 8s then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Cork will never fear Mayo or Galway provided they get over Tipp which on form and players they should. Croke park on a reasonable day should suit their running game too. Anyway as for Kerry it was a 50/50 game and they got caught in the end. It happens.

They will most certainly fear either side. What evidence is there to suggest they would be favourites against either side?

Wouldn’t say it was a 50/50 game at all. Kerry threw it away with poor wides and silly decisions. Cork very lucky to win. Taking it to penalties would have been lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,397 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Cork were very good at recycling the ball. The way they held the ball for the equaliser at the end of the second half and for the goal was something Kerry seem incapable of doing.

Although it was never a free for the equaliser, least they got in a position to win a free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Keane has serious questions to answer... No. 1 why was Donnie Buckley removed... it is well known our defense is brutal.. Buckley would have helped improve that dept.... next this rubbish about him having a good relationship with players annoys me... Jim Gavin Brian Cody Jack o’connor Had or have tense relationships with players.... Keane doesn’t have the same air of authority about him compared to lads I mentioned... what is he saying to players... they don’t seem to know what they are supposed to do out on the field... I watched Waterford hurlers last weekend.. won no champ game since 2017 all-ire semi final.. they have Liam Cahill who seems to be a very single minded guy and his team played like they all knew there roles etc... we don’t have that.. Keane should stay out of the media as much as possible... what was the purpose of that video with himself and Clifford... not once have I seen a video like that by the lads I mentioned earlier... he’s there to prepare a football team end of story.. He at least needs to explain himself and how he is going to improve things next year before he gets the job...

I said this last year that I was really worried that we would not see the kind of return at senior we had hoped for from our 5-in-a-row minor teams... 14 & 15 we had Mark o’connor Lording it in midfield.. 16 & 17 Sean Shea and Clifford won them all Ireland’s by themselves and Paul Walsh in 18... My point is 1 or. 2 players on each of those teams carried the team... and I wonder if many of the rest of those teams will develop into top class players... Sean Shea and Clifford will not win us games by themselves at senior level...

I think Cork who were for the most part the 2nd best team in the country when we won those minor titles could get more players from those teams than we will

FourFourFM wrote: »
    They will most certainly fear either side. What evidence is there to suggest they would be favourites against either side?

Wouldn’t say it was a 50/50 game at all. Kerry threw it away with poor wides and silly decisions. Cork very lucky to win. Taking it to penalties would have been lucky.

Why would they fear them? Respect them yes which is totally different. Cork kept coming back at them as well though. I think conditions didn’t suit cork at all. A lot of young lads physically yet to fully develop. The game they play is a running possession game which was not possible today. It was level after 70 and 1 down after 90. The dubs have Kerry spooked and constantly changing their game plan.

siblers wrote: »
    Cork were very good at recycling the ball. The way they held the ball for the equaliser at the end of the second half and for the goal was something Kerry seem incapable of doing.

Although it was never a free for the equaliser, least they got in a position to win a free

Never a free for the equaliser? It was a stupid tackle around the neck. White dived in rather than keeping his feet.

Never a free for the equaliser? It was a stupid tackle around the neck. White dived in rather than keeping his feet.

He went down looking for the free. Thought it was minimal contact

• Advertisement

He went down looking for the free. Thought it was minimal contact

Not one Kerry player objected. Irrelevant the contact if you tackle like that. Particularly silly when they had him surrounded anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Not one Kerry player objected. Irrelevant the contact if you tackle like that. Particularly silly when they had him surrounded anyway.

Paul Murphy did

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭munster87

The ref had a poor game. Poor for both sides. The conditions didn’t help him but from the start he was much too keen to blow for the slightest of touches.

Paul Murphy did

It was a definite free. Anyway enjoy the hurling lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

munster87 wrote: »
    The ref had a poor game. Poor for both sides. The conditions didn’t help him but from the start he was much too keen to blow for the slightest of touches.

When Tipp won yesterday I was worried about the ref. When the biblical rain came I had the 1999 feeling all over again.

The black cards were bad enough. The Cork number 4 and number 8 had at least 10 fouls between them and didn't even get a yellow!

The end of the first half of extra time and bringing in that 'free' will puzzle me for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭munster87

BPKS wrote: »
    When Tipp won yesterday I was worried about the ref. When the biblical rain came I had the 1999 feeling all over again.

The black cards were bad enough. The Cork number 4 and number 8 had at least 10 fouls between them and didn't even get a yellow!

The end of the first half of extra time and bringing in that 'free' will puzzle me for a long time.

I suppose he could possibly have given a black card for ‘sledging’ too when he took the free off Cork in the first half of normal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

We can certainly complain about certain decisions but it’s straw clutching to blame the ref for that loss. Kerry had it in hand during ET and allowed the sucker punch. Great effort by Cork, we should congratulate them and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Not only a Munster title thrown away but All Ireland also with how vulnerable Dublin was for this championship.

Complacency is a killer lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Not only a Munster title thrown away but All Ireland also with how vulnerable Dublin was for this championship.

Kerry were not beating Dublin on today’s evidence

Can't see anyone beating Dublin. Donegal maybe but definitely not Mayo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Terrible defending of the high ball by Tommy for the goal, but then again why was he there, silly tactic oh ya put the former AFL man on the AFL player, he'll sort him out.. No, put an actual authentic defender in the box ffs

At least we have an aerially dominant goalkeeper though /s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Unless Moran was explicitly told to hoof the ball down the pitch then I don't think you can blame Keane for that. I Think those mistakes can't be coached out of Moran at this stage. It's ingrained in his game

It's Keane's choice whether to pick Moran or not.

If he doesnt feel that he can coach issues out of his game & he doesnt feel he can trust him on certain things then he's obviously not a particularly good coach & he shouldnt pick Moran.

If he picks Moran, knowing that he hasnt been able to do the above, then he is taking a big gamble which has backfired massively.

Management can be like high stakes poker and if you take a big risk & f*ck it up then you're out

mystic86 wrote: »
    Terrible defending of the high ball by Tommy for the goal, but then again why was he there, silly tactic oh ya put the former AFL man on the AFL player, he'll sort him out.. No, put an actual authentic defender in the box ffs

And Tommy coming off a club season whereby at the end of it he was lucky to still be getting in the KOR side

• Registered Users Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

mystic86 wrote: »

While Shane Ryan should have done a bit better to smother the ball, I would not blame him for not coming out to try to help the defender, one up from Keane and the ball would be in the back of the net. I be more concerned that one or two two of the other defenders did not try to get under that ball it was in the air for 4-5 seconds and it was obvious in which direction it was going the presumption it was going wide was not good enough. However after 90 minutes bodies and minds switch iff

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

While Shane Ryan should have done a bit better to smother the ball, I would not blame him for not coming out to try to help the defender, one up from Keane and the ball would be in the back of the net. I be more concerned that one or two two of the other defenders did not try to get under that ball it was in the air for 4-5 seconds and it was obvious in which direction it was going the presumption it was going wide was not good enough. However after 90 minutes bodies and minds switch iff

To be fair none of our defenders are capable in the air, none of them! Tommy Walsh was the most capable of taking a high ball, he just came up against a guy more capable. He also got a push in the back which wasn’t called.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

munster87 wrote: »
    I suppose he could possibly have given a black card for ‘sledging’ too when he took the free off Cork in the first half of normal time.

He reversed the call due to sledging. Therefore he should have black carded at least one Cork player and could have carded two. Also David Morans black card was not a black card. Ref was terrible for both teams but made some terrible decisions against Kerry with the two issues above and Sean Powter free which was a dive.

Forge83 wrote: »
    He reversed the call due to sledging. Therefore he should have black carded at least one Cork player and could have carded two. Also David Morans black card was not a black card. Ref was terrible for both teams but made some terrible decisions against Kerry with the two issues above and Sean Powter free which was a dive.

If we were to make a list of people whose terrible decisions helped lead to a Kerry loss the ref would be low enough down it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

What a strange game, I have never seen a Kerry team play like that, ok we played defensively against Donegal in 2014 but yesterday was another level altogether, played with fear, which brought mistakes, bad decision making on the field and off the field,

The most we were up in the game was two points, anytime we did go up by two points, there was no drive in the team to push on and get a third point and try and kill the game off, I think if we did push on Cork's heads would have dropped.

Instead we played a dangerous game of "what we have we hold" and Cork caught us in the end

I think Tomas O Se hit the nail on the head last night saying that " we looked like a team getting ready for a game that isnt coming now"

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭the descent

I wouldn't be blaming Moran for the loss. He made mistakes in the last few mins of extra time but he won a serious amount of ball during the game, and he won at least one free that got us a score from carrying into contact which many have criticised him over. I agree he shouldn't be shooting, particularly when he has forwards he can pass to, but to blame him for the loss or saying he's not inter-county standard is ridiculous imo.

Clifford missed 2 very kickable frees, didn't take that mark which should have been another score. There were numerous balls spilled in contact or from poor passing. Granted the conditions were awful and that can't be dismissed, but Kerry had plenty chances to win the game and each time they passed it up. A lot of players that looked in great form ended up having poor games. It's a tough one to puzzle out.

I also think it's premature to call for Keane's head at this stage. Probably got the tactics wrong yesterday but Kerry looked great in the previous two games and anything can happen in a one-off. Disappointing, but well done to Cork - they were great. And it's good for Kerry going forward to have competition in Munster.

• Advertisement

Probably got the tactics wrong? Probably?

Jesus Christ! Did you watch the game?

Advertisement