Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

kerryjack wrote: »
    Are you from Kerry there was a time in Kerry if a job stopped you from playing football you were in the wrong job. Plenty of people speaking out around the country looking for championship to be stopped maybe a few from Dublin that want to hold on to sam for a little while longer

I think the glaringly obvious problem here is who is going to pay for the whole team, managers, selectors, physio, nutrionist etc to stay in a hotel, for their food etc? And not to mention are they going to pay the wages of the players so that they can still pay their bills? Or do you expect the companies they work for to pay wages to staff who are gone for a month? Absolutely mental idea. Imagine thinking that holding onto the Sam Maguire was the main issue for some people in a time like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Are you from Kerry there was a time in Kerry if a job stopped you from playing football you were in the wrong job. Plenty of people speaking out around the country looking for championship to be stopped maybe a few from Dublin that want to hold on to sam for a little while longer

:pac: I am indeed. Your thinking is so backward you've shown that you're not to be taken seriously so I'll bow out of this little exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

siblers wrote: »
    If lads need to be staying in a hotel away from their friends and families to play Championship then it should just be cancelled.

Height of madness having lads drive up and down to Monaghan on their own

Did Peter Keane request same?It may be madness but it is certainly safe.

The alternative the required two 52 seater buses..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭siblers

seligehgit wrote: »
    Did Peter Keane request same?It may be madness but it is certainly safe.

The alternative the required two 52 seater buses..

The alternative was probably to cancel it. Not right having players and backroom staff travel that distance on their own.

Also, wouldn't the players be mixing as part of the game, warm up etc so not sure separating players was required. Can see why they should be separated from backroom staff alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Forge83 wrote: »
    Gavin White showed some blistering pace today. Back to his best and will be a massive player if championship goes ahead.
    Great to see Peter Crowley back and playing well.
    Any idea why no Jack Sherwood? Player of the county championship...
    Diarmuid O Connor turning into a complete midfielder. Moran played well but he would drive you mad with the same brain farts year on year, wild kicks at points and running into traffic too often. He needs to play the percentage plays better.
    I would say the same for Micheal Burns, very error prone.
    Jonathan Lyne and O Beagloaich come on and we fall apart defensively, I can’t for the life of me see what either of them offer at this level.
    Overall they seemed well drilled in their gameplay especially in the first half. Some of the players looked a lot stronger and better conditioned than previous seasons. Would be confident of beating Cork in Munster semi final based on today’s performance.

Have to say that's a good summary of Sunday. Some good points.

Negatives as you mention would be the management appearing to have a few "favourites" shall we say. Somebody said David Moran looked "in great shape" - thought the opposite myself. Good in the air as ever, but his legs aren't there. You could see it in the County championship and could see it Sunday.

We still have issues defensively. Foley, while decent Sunday, is still not tight or tough enough and apart from Morley and Crowley we really lack a physical edge back there. To see Begley coming on, who I class as a bit of a luxury player, when Graham O'Sullivan, Gavin Crowley and Shane Enright are on the bench and Conor McManus is causing havoc..I dunno. Sometimes you'd wonder are you watching a different game.

On the positive side, while it's horrible to watch at times at least there was a coherent plan without the ball instead of leaving the gaping holes in defence like last year at times. The counterattack game suits a lot of players we have like White (who looks in great shape), Tom O'Sullivan and Paul Murphy.
    Diarmuid O'Connor could turn into the midfield powerhouse we need. On track anyway.
    While Shane Ryan is still a relative novice, thank christ management got him in and gave him his chance unlike Fitzmaurice. His kickouts are decent, still need a bit of work but he is very good and confident with ball in hand and if we were without him you'd be far less confident.

I'd pay €5 to GAAGO for every minute David Clifford plays. He's such a joy to watch.

If we do get a championship, which is by no means certain, looking forward to seeing what sort of a team develops. Some decent options.

U20 game Saturday was a big disappointment with the poor second half. Can't be too hard on anyone with the awful preparation but I thought we died a death physically and tactically aswell. Excuses aside, the decision-making was shocking too often for players who've all played a lot of football in recent months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭conor05

Even though the end scoreline showed a loss by 14 points to Cork (Clare lost to Tipp by 10 points), I was very impressed with some of the young Kerry hurlers last night in the Munster under 20.

A good few of the Kerry starting team are only 18, some of them have 2 years left at this grade.

The standard of hurling will bring them on a tonne and I believe a few of them are going to 3rd level with the intention of playing Fitzgibbon cup, so another boost for Kerry hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Is kerry v Donegal match on tv tomorrow or is it on gaa go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Is kerry v Donegal match on tv tomorrow or is it on gaa go.

It’s on Eirsport afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Same team as vs Monaghan just announced. Probably changes tomorrow - Isn't there always.

Hopefully they'll pick up the 2 points with no collateral damage and claim the League title.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Mark O'Connor just about to start the AFL Grand Final with Geelong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Mark O'Connor just about to start the AFL Grand Final with Geelong.

Just put it on, Geelong up 42 to 39

Strange to watch a sport in the current environment with supporters at it

Looks pretty much over for them now, unlikely to get three goals in 9 minutes.

First time watching an AFL game. Not a sport I'd see myself getting into. Very little structure to it, like watching an old football game. Belt the ball up the pitch and hope your team mate wins it. Richmond seemed like a very intense team with Geelong struggling to get out of their half. Hard luck for Mark, hopefully he gets another crack at a final in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

dobman88 wrote: »
    First time watching an AFL game. Not a sport I'd see myself getting into. Very little structure to it, like watching an old football game. Belt the ball up the pitch and hope your team mate wins it. Richmond seemed like a very intense team with Geelong struggling to get out of their half. Hard luck for Mark, hopefully he gets another crack at a final in future.

It's seriously ****e

I dont know how many games I have watched this year and teams have been caught on the hop with the playing of the anthem :D

Will take a while for this defensive system to bed in, but all seems fairly ponderous so far.

All change since the water break, a lot quicker with the possession now, and the scores duly follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Marc o Se was some player but he’s a fair weak pundit. Nothing insightful or anything interesting in what he says. Never seems sure of himself

Could do with a few tips off his brother who’s the best by a mile these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

keane2097 wrote: »
    It's seriously ****e

I've been watching Geelong all year and it's an enjoyable game when it's played well (like Football I guess).

It was wet in Brisbane this morning and the quality was fairly low not unlike our own Final in 2015.

Geelong have a few lads that are similar to Kerry footballers. Gary Ablett like Gooch, Tom Hawkins like Star. I was gutted for them.

As for our own men. An easy win in the end. We should be in nice form for the Cork game.

Brosnan is a brilliant addition to the forward line.

The intensity in the tackling from the forwards was brilliant as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

benji79 wrote: »
    Marc o Se was some player but he’s a fair weak pundit. Nothing insightful or anything interesting in what he says. Never seems sure of himself

Could do with a few tips off his brother who’s the best by a mile these days!

At least he wasn't as bad as Rory Kavanagh moaning about the ref giving two textbook black cards for trips with the hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

A good win, nice to see peter crowley back playing well and looks in good shape. I don't know is there a place for David Moran on this kerry team I think he slows it up, he tries to take too much with the ball, a bit too nice as well not a dirty stroke in him, a unit that size should be roughing it up a bit. We have the best forwards in the country no doubt about that, hopefully they can bring sam home for Christmas and Brighten up a right bad year.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

A good win, nice to see peter crowley back playing well and looks in good shape. I don't know is there a place for David Moran on this kerry team I think he slows it up, he tries to take too much with the ball, a bit too nice as well not a dirty stroke in him, a unit that size should be roughing it up a bit. We have the best forwards in the country no doubt about that, hopefully they can bring sam home for Christmas and Brighten up a right bad year.

100%. If Jack Barry gets back to any kind of form it’s looking like a Barry/D O Connor midfield pairing with Moran for impact off the bench.
    Very little high ball being kicked to midfield these days for Moran to dominate. He’s not agile enough anymore to create space for direct pass kick outs.
    Is there anything to be said for using Sean O Shea at midfield? I think we have strong enough replacement forwards to soak up the loss of a few scores for the benefits he would give at midfield.
    Still a bit unsure of what Peter’s plan for Ronan Buckley is...as he’s not a championship level wing forward in reality.

Forge83 wrote: »
    100%. If Jack Barry gets back to any kind of form it’s looking like a Barry/D O Connor midfield pairing with Moran for impact off the bench.
    Very little high ball being kicked to midfield these days for Moran to dominate. He’s not agile enough anymore to create space for direct pass kick outs.
    Is there anything to be said for using Sean O Shea at midfield? I think we have strong enough replacement forwards to soak up the loss of a few scores for the benefits he would give at midfield.
    Still a bit unsure of what Peter’s plan for Ronan Buckley is...as he’s not a championship level wing forward in reality.

Donaghy made the same point about SOS in an interview with the examiner a couple of weeks ago. Made the argument about kick outs being more possession based now and Seanie being good enough and fit enough to create space and have the direct pass in his locker that other players dont have.

I'd say with Ronan Buckley, hes a work horse and with Kerry's defensive set up hes in there for that reason. Flooding men behind the ball to break quickly. You have to have lads that want to do that and work hard and he fits the bill. He wont be expected to be coming up with scores, look at the array of talent we have for that. I think he will do well for Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

dobman88 wrote: »
    Donaghy made the same point about SOS in an interview with the examiner a couple of weeks ago. Made the argument about kick outs being more possession based now and Seanie being good enough and fit enough to create space and have the direct pass in his locker that other players dont have.

I'd say with Ronan Buckley, hes a work horse and with Kerry's defensive set up hes in there for that reason. Flooding men behind the ball to break quickly. You have to have lads that want to do that and work hard and he fits the bill. He wont be expected to be coming up with scores, look at the array of talent we have for that. I think he will do well for Kerry

Donaghy was Putting Sean Shea into midfield to facilitate Paudie Clifford at 11... now is not the time to try out this experiment... next years league can be used for that

Donaghy was Putting Sean Shea into midfield to facilitate Paudie Clifford at 11... now is not the time to try out this experiment... next years league can be used for that

Yeah, that's why I didnt mention it. Personally, I don't think Paudie will have what it takes to step up to county level. His fitness for a start is questionable at best and his commitment doesnt seem like 100%. Hopefully he will prove me wrong if hes given a chance but I just dont see it working for him.

Does anyone have anything on Paul Geaney? Is he injured or just been left off the panel this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭cms88

Was there any more updates from the county board re streams? I know they had offered season ticket holders the Intermediate and Junior games for free but with them not happening what's the story?

Fairly comfortable win for the hurlers today, but Meath are the weakest team in the group, and Westmeath away will be a fairly stiff test.

Tough first half in Mullingar, Westmeath up 0-10 to 1-06
    We started the better of the two teams, but Westmeath made a change half way through and the change seemed to settle them a bit,

Shane Conway has got all our scores so far

• Advertisement

All over, great win for Kerry,
    2-19 to 0-14 it finished

Conway the main man up front with 1-12,

Advertisement