Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,748 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Um. He was acquitted in a court of law. So yeah we have a pretty clear idea he should be treated as such.

He was acquitted and released following direct intervention by Irish Government officials with the Egyptian counterparts.

As I said last night, good for him... but the story he told on Friday night seems at odds with what we do know/have seen of the video footage, the translation of the speech he made, and the specifics of why he was out there in the first place.

His interview did nothing to address that. It came across as a nervous and carefully scripted effort to paint him as a naive young boy caught up in something he didn't fully understand, whereas if he'd properly addressed the questions (as opposed to deflecting and dismissing people as 'haters') it would have served him much better and satisfied most people - and yes they have a right to know given the apparently extraordinary efforts to secure his release, and the determined media campaign around it.

But what's done is done. Hopefully now he puts his freedom to good use and we never hear about him again except for more positive reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I reckon the media establishment will let this one sink away.They know at this stage that they've lost this one. That they couldn't convince the regular Joe that he and the sisters weren't spoofers.

People just don't like being lied to

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

with his web site that looks like it was made in 1995.

Please stop with the infantile sniping and address the issues at hand.

Humphrys has repeatedly asked for people to point out any inaccuracies on his website.

Other than idiotic jibes like the quote above, the silence from his critics is very telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Humphrys has repeatedly asked for people to point out any inaccuracies on his website.

Other than idiotic jibes like the quote above, the silence from his critics is very telling.

He'd rather point out that irrelevant "fact" (he deals in facts only, remember?) rather than admit that Ibrahim was caught out lying on national television with his whole "can't close my hand" thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dreamliner

You actually believe him? The writer appears to not even know the difference between ISIS and the MB, he has a very clear agenda with his writing and I could pull him up on many things, but you may as well be talking to a wall cos he will always find a way to justify what he has written regardless of how untrue it is.

• Advertisement

dreamliner wrote: »
    You actually believe him? The writer appears to not even know the difference between ISIS and the MB, he has a very clear agenda with his writing and I could pull him up on many things, but you may as well be talking to a wall cos he will always find a way to justify what he has written regardless of how untrue it is.

From reading his website I disagree with your analysis, but Isis and the MB are certainly on the same spectrum when it comes to extreme Islamism.

Isis and the MB are certainly on the same spectrum when it comes to extreme Islamism.

Right well looks like I should go back to bed

Stop trying to derail the thread.

Please address the issues at hand.

Regarding humphrys I am not defending him, he's more than capable himself.

But he wants people to point out any inaccuracies on his website so I would implore you to do that if you can find inaccuracies.

Stop trying to derail the thread.

Please address the issues at hand.

Regarding humphrys I am not defending him, he's more than capable himself.

But he wants people to point out any inaccuracies on his website so I would implore you to do that if you can find inaccuracies.

I have no need or desire to derail the thread.

You mentioned this "writer" who very clearly has a major axe to grind as though he is some sort of Robert Fisk and I called you up on one major thing he has muddled up and you didn't like it.

Is there even a need for this thread anymore?

The lad is out and free ... what more is there to be discussed?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

with his web site that looks like it was made in 1995.

And you are a scion of deep knowledge and good taste? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You mentioned this "writer" who very clearly has a major axe to grind as though he is some sort of Robert Fisk and I called you up on one major thing he has muddled up and you didn't like it.

I suspect you know all this but I will address your point.

Lots of people are interested in this case.

They suspect they have not and are not being told the full truth of what occurred.

There was an absolutely unprecedented effort by the Irish govt to free him.

The minister for foreign affairs said Upwards of 25,000 diplomatic hours went into this case. As an aside, the costs associated with this must have been eye watering.

The Clonskeagh mosque is associated with the MB. The leader of the mosque (ibrahims dad) is reportedly one of the main MB sheikhs in Europe.

There's a huge public interest in this case.

On his return there was the unsettling incident of strident roaring and screaming of allah Akbar in Dublin airport by his supporters.

Ibrahims appearance on the late late has served only to create further uncertainty and suspicion about what occurred.

I don't understand why some people are seeking to shut down discussion and investigation into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

He's in here as the user humprys. Why not pull him up? He's responded to a few people already.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭humphrys

Please "pull me up" on many things. I would love to be corrected with new facts. Go for it.

You could start by justifying your ridiculous claim that I confuse MB and IS.

They suspect they have not and are not being told the full truth of what occurred.

The minister for foreign affairs said Upwards of 25,000 diplomatic hours went into this case. As an aside, the costs associated with this must have been eye watering.

The Clonskeagh mosque is associated with the MB. The leader of the mosque (ibrahims dad) is reportedly one of the main MB clerics in Europe.

Ibrahims appearance on the late late has only served to create further uncertainty and suspicion about what occurred.

I don't understand why some people are seeking to shut down discussion and investigation into it.

Out of interest, have you ever been to Clonskeagh or met the guy?

I have, so has our own Taoiseach ... funny how neither of us were slaughtered considering we don't conform to the views you're saying he has. In fact I went as a group of over 20 infidels, and women included too ... he didn't reach for his sword would you believe, in fact he looked delighted and treated us as honourable guests of his mosque. We were fed too ... that must have been to sweeten us up, was it MB funded I wonder? ... the bleedin terrorists!

Sit behind your laptop screaming 'terrorist' and mud slinging as much as you want but it's rather silly at this stage to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The Clonskeagh mosque is associated with the MB. The leader of the mosque (ibrahims dad) is reportedly one of the main MB clerics in Europe.

On his return there was the unsettling incident of strident roaring and screaming of allah Akbar in Dublin airport by his supporters.

Ibrahims appearance on the late late has served only to create further uncertainty and suspicion about what occurred.

You do realise that that phrase means God is good and is used by all arabic speaking muslims.

It's not just something for terrorists.

Just because terrorists have used it during their attacks does not mean it belongs to them and should also be associated with terrorist acts.

As for Halawa, he was unconvincing on the LLS on Friday. He's not telling the full truth about he ended up in Egypt and front and centre of the protest but this does not make him a terrorist as many here state. He's at worst a political activist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Isis and the MB are certainly on the same spectrum when it comes to extreme Islamism.

You disagree?

One believes homosexuality to be an abhorrent sickness and that women should be subjugated... The other is
    ISIS.

Out of interest, have you ever been to Clonskeagh or met the guy?

I have, so has our own Taoiseach ... funny how neither of us were slaughtered considering we don't conform to the views you're saying he has. In fact I went as a group of over 20 infidels, and women included too ... he didn't reach for his sword would you believe, in fact he looked delighted and treated us as honourable guests of his mosque. We were fed too ... that must have been to sweeten us up, was it MB funded I wonder? ... the bleedin terrorists!

Sit behind your laptop screaming 'terrorist' and mud slinging as much as you want but it's rather silly at this stage to be honest.

Quite frankly, personal anecdotes about your pleasant trip to the clonskeagh mosque add nothing to the debate at hand.

You disagree?

One believes homosexuality to be an abhorrent sickness and that women should be subjagated... The other is
    ISIS.

Who is the first group you descibe? Sounds like the RCC! Right let's round up all its followers the b***ards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

humphrys wrote: »
    Please "pull me up" on many things. I would love to be corrected with new facts. Go for it.

You could start by justifying your ridiculous claim that I confuse MB and IS.

Ah the good doctor is back. Baited into posting on after hours, on boards.ie once again. Champion of the far-right in Ireland and the israeli embassy. A true hero.

Should you not be more concerned about trying to cover your tracks by deleting your tweets from over the past few years? You’ve still missed a few.

What is your opinion on the Incitement to Hatred Act 1989 and the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, 1997? Do you understand where the line is or are you going to keep going?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

MOD
    This thread has been closed previously due to constant bickering. It went away for a bit, but now it seems to be back.

If the record isn't changed, there will be bans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,748 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just a question..

You said previously if I recall that you are a childhood friend of IH from school but haven't spoken to him since he left for Egypt.

Has this changed? Because if not, then really you know no more than the rest of us at this stage? I get that you're a (former?) friend of his, but surely you're not blind to how badly the interview on Friday has been received in general, not just on Boards.ie

It doesn't add up for many people and no-one likes being taken as a fool.

You disagree?

One believes homosexuality to be an abhorrent sickness and that women should be subjagated... The other is
    ISIS.

Who is the first group you descibe? Sounds like the RCC! Right let's round up all its followers the b***ards!

You are no different than the three other posters on this thread who express similar values, when asked a difficult question which you have no answer for, you enter the Catholic church into the discussion.

It's tiresome, disingenious, and does nothing to further the debate.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Just a question..

You said previously if I recall that you are a childhood friend of IH from school but haven't spoken to him since he left for Egypt.

Has this changed? Because if not, then really you know no more than the rest of us at this stage? I get that you're a (former?) friend of his, but surely you're not blind to how badly the interview on Friday has been received in general, not just on Boards.ie

It doesn't add up for many people and no-one likes being taken as a fool.

Nothing wrong with a question, yes we went to the same primary school but went our separate ways for secondary ... we maintained contact though and sharing of study notes for the leaving cert etc.

I would hope to meet up with him over the next few months after the dust settles, it's a bit hectic for him at the moment with lots of msgs etc so I'm standing back for now.

I have said everything else as to what occurred at the time and haven't really got much else to add I'm afraid.

You are no different than the three other posters on this thread who express similar values, when asked a difficult question which you have no answer for, you enter the Catholic church into the discussion.

It's tiresome, disingenious, and does nothing to further the debate.

Well I do apologise but it strikes me as rather (extremely!) hypocritical to berate one group of people over one thing, call for their ban and label them as terrorists over their belief system, but at the same time have a silent acceptance for what the dominant belief system of this Island is when it isn't entirely different regarding the points you raised about the MB (about homosexuality and women).

murpho999 wrote: »
    You do realise that that phrase means God is good and is used by all arabic speaking muslims.

You do realise that the swastika is an ancient Hindu symbol, however if one were to visit Auschwitz with a T-shirt bearing said symbol it would be interpreted as deeply inappropriate would it not?

Similarly, young Walter Mitty's followers should acknowledge that to shout Allah Akbar in a western airport is also grossly inappropriate and indeed displays a deep contempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You do realise that the swastika is an ancient Hindu symbol, however if one were to visit Auschwitz with a T-shirt bearing said symbol it would be interpreted as deeply inappropriate would it not?

Similarly, young Walter Mitty's followers should acknowledge that to shout Allah Akbar in a western airport is also grossly inappropriate and indeed displays a deep contempt.

Seriously what a comparison.

Allahu Akbar is not an offensive or inappropriate term. It's a completely normal phrase to moslems that is used on many occasions from the birth of a child to prayer, weddings etc.

Really should not mean that people who say it are associated with terrorists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

3,600 posts of drivel with not one credible post of why any of us need to worry about Ibrahim committing crimes in the future.

If he wants to write a book or go on a social justice crusade, leave him to it, why does it bother you what he does? He's a danger to nobody.

Because so far, he has done it at huge expense to the rest of us, in both public resources and public money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

To attempt to link the atrocities carried out by Nazism with the excited thanking of God by an innocent man on his arrival home after 4 years in prison is frankly disgusting.

Well I do apologise but it strikes me as rather (extremely!) hypocritical to berate one group of people over one thing, call for their ban and label them as terrorists over their belief system,

Point to one single post on this thread the describes all Muslims as terrorists.

Quote one single post that calls for their ban.

Your argument is incredibly disingenuous, are you seriously making the claim that because our nation is predominantly Catholic, we have no right to protest homophobia and misogyny?

Tell me, on your little visit to Clonskeagh, were you allowed access the mosque through its admittedly rather splendid front entrance, or were you only permitted to walk round to its rather less attractive backdoor which those pesky women folk must use to enter the mosque? If there was a single Catholic Church on this island practicing such backward segregation they would be rightly called up on it, what is your reason to be so submissive of such misogyny?

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Seriously what a comparison.

I believe it's a perfectly understandable analogy, you disagree, that's no problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement