Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Who cares if any of that happened or not? He's home now chilling.

Nobody is forcing you to buy his book or read it, relax.

Tbf, most people want to know the truth.
    Not bs lies

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

deco nate wrote: »
    Not bs lies

they got the truth. they refuse to believe it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Every thread relating to Ibrahim or anything Islamic is littered with disproportionate and irrational fear-mongering. The Kew Tour has stated that Germany will be an Islamic State by 2040 and Ireland will be an Islamic State in 100 years from now.

*That's complete irrational nonsense, just like most of the views expressed in this thread.

Does anyone want to show me evidence Ibrahim is plotting a crime in the future?

He seems to want to write a book and make a few quid, not go out and murder people. SMH.

* You know you have to include yourself in that as a contributor to the thread - you know that?

For example what has Las Vegas got to do with your daft "Islamaphobic" theory ?

The poster has a right to his personal views of the future whatever they are.

Perhaps you believe in your own vision of the future. Don't know if you do or don't - that's not any ones business tbh to rubbish one way or another. If we are debating that fair enough - if not it is just divisive and nasty

Do you want someone to go trawling through your history you? No?

There are may be some here that may believe your opinions are complete irrational nonsense*

I don't agree with your views either but I'm not going to launch a general attack on you because of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Not bs lies

The truth is he was arrested, charged, tried for a crime and acquitted.

He seems keen on writing books, maybe doing a film and making a few bob for himself, I don't know why you're so worried about it. If he's spoofing and exaggerating in his book he won't be the first to embellish things to sell a few extra copies!

The truth is he was arrested, charged, tried for a crime and acquitted.

He seems keen on writing books, maybe doing a film and making a few bob for himself, I don't know why you're so worried about it. If he's spoofing and exaggerating in his book he won't be the first to embellish things to sell a few extra copies!

You asked"who cares "
    I replied that most people want to know the answers to the comment you quoted. But you are good at taking things out of context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Who cares if any of that happened or not

Says it all really

gozunda wrote: »
    For example what has Las Vegas got to do with your daft "Islamaphobic" theory ?

The point is there's a hugely disproportionate reaction to Ibrahim coming home and it's fully related to his religion - as you can easily see from the different reactions to violence when committed by someone of the Islamic faith and someone not of Islamic faith.

I wasn't "attacking" anyone for their beliefs or posts, I was pointing out the irrational fear is based on religion. I've nothing to fear from Ibrahim until I see evidence he's a danger to anybody. I've seen none.

This made me laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

A few of us know the truth.

And several are believing any old lie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

I don't know why you're so worried about it. !

Though it would seem you're quite happy to turn a blind eye to those who support the homophobic and misogynist Muslim Brotherhood, there are those such as I who will in no way ignore this unacceptable intolerance.

I don't believe Mr Halawa is a threat, nor have I ever made such a claim, nevertheless for as long as he chooses to be in the public eye I refuse to shy away from calling him out as the liar Friday's interview has proven him to be.

• Advertisement

The point is there's a hugely disproportionate reaction to Ibrahim coming home and it's fully related to his religion - as you can easily see from the different reactions to violence when committed by someone of the Islamic faith and someone not of Islamic faith.

I wasn't "attacking" anyone for their beliefs or posts, I was pointing out the irrational fear is based on religion. I've nothing to fear from Ibrahim until I see evidence he's a danger to anybody. I've seen none.

Well, it looked like an attack to myself.....

You asked"who cares "
    I replied that most people want to know the answers to the comment you quoted. But you are good at taking things out of context.

Why do you care what he endured in prison or why he was there in the first place? It's ancient history. People grow and change their views. Look at Maajid Nawaz, he once had extremist views, got locked up in Egypt and now goes around calling for reform of Islam.

Surely you should only care what Ibrahim says and does now. He's seemingly focused on good old-fashioned traditional western capitalism! Making a few quid doing a book.

Why do you care what he endured in prison or why he was there in the first place? It's ancient history. People grow and change their views. Look at Maajid Nawaz, he once had extremist views, got locked up in Egypt and now goes around calling for reform of Islam.

Surely you should only care what Ibrahim says and does now. He's seemingly focused on good old-fashioned traditional western capitalism! Making a few quid doing a book.
    What are you on about?! It's not " ancient history".
    It's about lies and truth.

You keep deflecting an attacking posters.

Jog on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Though it would seem you're quite happy to turn a blind eye to those who support the homophobic and misogynist Muslim Brotherhood, there are those such as I who will in no way ignore this unacceptable intolerance.

off you go to egypt then. nobody here supports the mb. there is a difference between support and recognising a party to be democratically elected even if we don't agree with them.
    I don't believe Mr Halawa is a threat, nor have I ever made such a claim, nevertheless for as long as he chooses to be in the public eye I refuse to shy away from calling him out as the liar Friday's interview has proven him to be.

friday's interview didn't prove anything.
    lets say we were to believe the idea that he did tell a few lies then so what? hardly the end of the world.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

First Up wrote: »
    Does that mean Zig and Zag are the official national puppets?

The LLS's longevity gives it a certain position in Irish society but there is nothing official about it.

Oh Jehovah, I'm out of this thread - this is just descending into farce. :rolleyes:

off you go to egypt then. nobody here supports the mb. there is a difference between support and recognising a party to be democratically elected even if we don't agree with them.

lets say we were to believe the idea that he did tell a few lies then so what? hardly the end of the world.

You are right, just the end of the road.

It's about lies and truth.

Truth = Acquitted of all crimes.

I find it hilarious why anything else is relevant here. He had his day in court and he's home now so it literally doesn't matter what he did, what he felt, what he thought in the past.

If it does come out in the wash that he went to Egypt deliberately to kick up a stink and cause trouble, then what? He was already acquitted, he won't be going back to be tried again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

nobody here supports the mb.

Typically ludicrous statement, educate yourself on Clonskeagh Mosque, I have zero intention of conversing with you any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,738 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It undermines his entire story and his credibility... if he's willing to "tell a few lies" on national TV, how do we know what parts of the story are true - if any?

As I said earlier on, the entire performance seemed carefully scripted and designed to evoke the maximum amount of sympathy for him, with emphasis on the narrative of him being just in the wrong place, at the wrong time and still wanting to be a humanitarian despite it all.

But his body language didn't support his story, nor did his delivery. Those too suggested that there was more to the story than he was telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

There seems to be a lot of goalpost shifting going on. When my suspicions were first raised about this case, the narrative from the Halawa supporters was that he was on his annual holiday to Egypt and innocently stumbled upon the protests. He was in no way involved in the protests or the MB. He was shot, was tortured, was on hunger strike, had a heart condition, had weeks to live. Anyone who questioned this version of events was labelled a racist.

Piece by piece, that version of events has been torn apart. The goalposts have now shifted and the new line is - he wasn't convicted of any offence. The thing is, that is not we have been querying. Same way we haven't really been saying that he burnt his passport.

• Advertisement

Truth = Acquitted of all crimes.

I find it hilarious why anything else is relevant here. He had his day in court and he's home now so it literally doesn't matter what he did, what he felt, what he thought in the past.

If it does come out in the wash that he went to Egypt deliberately to kick up a stink and cause trouble, then what? He was already acquitted, he won't be going back to be tried again.

*I find it hilarious why anything else is relevant here.*
    Because lies, if the family had been truthful this thread would have died.
    But bs comments/statements by the family, And some posters on here. Keeps people wanting to know the real truth.
    That's all, just stop with the lies.

*awaits the deflection posts*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I like the part where he said he was gonna go to ibiza he he.as if daddy would have let him.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Not bs lies

My view is he's a fairly "out there" Muslim whose family and mosque brethren hold far different ideas about how a society should be run than I (and the majority of people in this society do).

My own big gripe is how the media, politicians and pressure groups swallowed a pack of mistruths from the Halawa family with no critical investigation of the facts at hand and passed off a troubling broad story as a virtuous narrow narrative.
    The sisters were able to push their agenda unquestioned onto the media.
    The detractors to Halawa line were (and are) branded racist loonies.

To bring the vast majority of investigative journalism in Ireland's media to this is an appalling vista.
    I don't blame the Halawa sisters or the young skip Ib. You'd only expect them to do what they did and in fairness they've done a cracking job of it: getting their foolish brother out of prison.

But the notion of journalism today rightly questioning the gender pay gap, homophobia, sexual harassment and yet championing this clusterf...doesn't square easily. Particularly when Comment peices in those papers are the same people championing Ibrahamin and his family.

I hope the bloke does well in life, maybe he and his family will appreciate the generousity shown to them by a Zapone, Gorman and Vradkar and maybe, just maybe, their mosque might stop thinking gay people should be killed because of how they live their lives.

Back to your post Deco: the truth is known about him, his family and his mosque. If the Irish media won't print it it's hardly worth looking for the Halawas to admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

i can't stream the video from the Late Late show for some reason (I have only seen the Youtube clips). Does anyone know how they ended up at the protest? Was that covered in the interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

222233 wrote: »
    i can't stream the video from the Late Late show for some reason (I have only seen the Youtube clips). Does anyone know how they ended up at the protest? Was that covered in the interview?

He said some rambling story about going to the cinema and hanging out with his friends then he came upon the protest in the square and decided to take part.

I'm open to correction but from memory that's what he said. He emphasised that he wasn't a political person and that he didn't know much about Egyptian politics.

Tubs played a clip of him on stage addressing the rally also.

smurgen wrote: »
    I like the part where he said he was gonna go to ibiza he he.as if daddy would have let him.

I don't think that would have been a problem. It's the sisters who wouldn't have been allowed to go.

Odhinn wrote: »
    I'm islamophibic and admit as much when i've been asked in real everyday life i explained my fears and like to stress i don't hate the people,just the religion.i do however think less of people that follow the islamic faith simply because of it's ridiculousness and any critical thinking person aught to regard it as ridiculous.it's slightly above scientology and on a par below christianity for me on the scales of ridiculousness.

An honest man, fair play.

So do you have any issue with what i said in my post? The content of my post? It took me time to put together.i think.amd hope i articulated myself enough in it.

humberklog wrote: »
    My view is he's a fairly "out there" Muslim whose family and mosque brethren hold far different ideas about how a society should be run than I (and the majority of people in this society do).

My own big gripe is how the media, politicians and pressure groups swallowed a pack of mistruths from the Halawa family with no critical investigation of the facts at hand and passed off a troubling broad story as a virtuous narrow narrative.

To bring the vast majority of investigative journalism in Ireland's media to this is an appalling vista.
    I don't blame the Halawa sisters or the young skip Ib. You'd only expect them to do what they did and in fairness they've done a cracking job of it: getting their foolish brother out of prison.

But the notion of journalism today rightly questioning the gender pay gap, homophobia, sexual harassment and yet championing this clusterf...doesn't square easily. Particularly when Comment prices in those papers are the same people championing Ibrahamin and his family.

I hope the bloke does well in life, maybe he and his family will appreciate the generousity shown to them by a Zapone, Gorman and Vradkar and maybe, just maybe, there mosque might stop thinking gay people should be killed because of how they live their lives.

Back to your post Deco: the truth is known about him, his family and his mosque. If the Irish media won't print it it's hardly worth looking for the Halawas to admit it.

Great post! But as you know my post was aimed at the people still denying /deflecting that is plain to see

Odhinn wrote: »
    I'm islamophibic and admit as much when i've been asked in real everyday life i explained my fears and like to stress i don't hate the people,just the religion.i do however think less of people that follow the islamic faith simply because of it's ridiculousness and any critical thinking person aught to regard it as ridiculous.it's slightly above scientology and on a par below christianity for me on the scales of ridiculousness.

An honest man, fair play.

So do you have any issue with what i said in my post? The content of my post? It took me time to put together.i think and hope i articulated myself enough in it.

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »

But the notion of journalism today rightly questioning the gender pay gap, homophobia, sexual harassment and yet championing this clusterf...doesn't square easily. Particularly when Comment prices in those papers are the same people championing Ibrahamin and his family.

I hope the bloke does well in life, maybe he and his family will appreciate the generousity shown to them by a Zapone, Gorman and Vradkar and maybe, just maybe, there mosque might stop thinking gay people should be killed because of how they live their lives.

Excellent post, and pretty much sums up my sentiments too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement