Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Footballer of the Year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

The fact is it will be a tight race between McCarthy and Moran, the other two wont come into the equation.  It really is a 50/50 call.  But if you were a Tipperary player sitting down to pick one, its only human nature, if you are 50/50 to say hey McCarthy has won the All Ireland, Moran deserves something considering he is coming to end of a long career too
    Its not a dig at Moran its just a natural reaction and if you dispute that any emotion comes into that you are really naiive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Split voting is very likely to affects an election, when two people from the same county, political party or Best Actors nominees at Oscar time, get nominated in pairs, where there is only one other single nominee from the other team, party, film. It's only commons sense to realise that. The only people who know for sure the degree of it, are the voters themselves. Having an opinion on a match is one thing. Any keyboard warrior can have one of those. Noones opinion is of more value than anyone elses. Having vote in a silent ballot is something else entirely.

I do realise that it will affect some votes. I have already explained how and why. I also realise that it doesn't affect others, and again have explained how and why. It will affect a local councillor vote for example. It wont affect a countrywide poty vote.
    If the geniuses in charges of this years voting decided to come up with 4 nominees, then this year, there may be less chance of it. But it doesn't change the fact that in previous years, it may have been a factor, despite the hysterical outrage when Lee Keegans winning it last year comes up.

But how? What votes are being split? The Dublin player's vote? For starters why are they voting for a less deserving dub than a more deserving dub? Is there a split in the camp or something? Secondly, there are only 25 of them. So even if it were to split at the most extreme case of 12-13, which frankly isn't likely anyway, there are still 25 votes from every other county to be counted. It is actually idiotic. If the Dublin players had to vote for the Dublin poty they would vote for their best player, yet we are to believe that they start cheating the same guy out of it when it is a countrywide then. It is nonsense.
    The 2 Waterford lads nominated for this years Hurler of The Year, will probably split the Waterford vote, leaving the door wide open for Joe Canning to win it. Will he win it? Possibly. Will he deserve it? Possibly. Will he get it due to the sympathy factor of carrying Galway by himself for so long? Possibly. Will he get some votes purely for the point he hit at the end of the Tipp semi? Possibly? Will he get some votes for how he has carried himself in the aftermath of the win, especially with the Keadys? Possibly. Will he get zero votes from some Tipp lads, as they will never vote for anyone from Galway on point of principle? Possibly. Will some voters be affected by Joe Cannings media profile over the past 10 years? Did Gearoid McInerney's relatively low profile (by comparison) affect his chances of being nominated? Possibly. Are there other factors affecting the voting, that I know sweet eff all about? Very possibly. I just don't know. Noone here does. The only thing that we do know is that in elections, it is very possible that other factors may be at play when it comes to the voting, than who is the most deserving winner.

This stuff might be relevant if it were a public vote, but it isn't, it is players only. Players aren't as thick as you seem to think they are.
    I'm already on record as saying that AM would be a very deserving winner. I'm pretty sure I said the same thing last year about Lee Keegan. But anyone who thinks that no other factors are ever at play in these things, is just sticking their head in the sand and refusing to acknowledge reality, or human nature.

Other factors? Well who knows. But we are talking about specifically - split voting. There is no evidence to suggest that this is a factor, and all logic suggests it isn't.

kilns wrote: »
    The fact is it will be a tight race between McCarthy and Moran, the other two wont come into the equation. It really is a 50/50 call. But if you were a Tipperary player sitting down to pick one, its only human nature, if you are 50/50 to say hey McCarthy has won the All Ireland, Moran deserves something considering he is coming to end of a long career too
    Its not a dig at Moran its just a natural reaction and if you dispute that any emotion comes into that you are really naiive

No, the fact is the above is your justification for moran winning it, instead of having to admit that he won it on merit. Fanboy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

The fact is it will be a tight race between McCarthy and Moran, the other two wont come into the equation.  It really is a 50/50 call.  But if you were a Tipperary player sitting down to pick one, its only human nature, if you are 50/50 to say hey McCarthy has won the All Ireland, Moran deserves something considering he is coming to end of a long career too
    Its not a dig at Moran its just a natural reaction and if you dispute that any emotion comes into that you are really naiive

The whiff of begrudgery from you towards anyone not from Dublin is overpowering at this stage.
    If Moran wins be a man about it and accept it. No ifs, buts or maybes.

What is it about Dubliners wanting everything and not willing to give anything to the rest of the country?

The fact is it will be a tight race between McCarthy and Moran, the other two wont come into the equation.  It really is a 50/50 call.  But if you were a Tipperary player sitting down to pick one, its only human nature, if you are 50/50 to say hey McCarthy has won the All Ireland, Moran deserves something considering he is coming to end of a long career too
    Its not a dig at Moran its just a natural reaction and if you dispute that any emotion comes into that you are really naiive

No, the fact is the above is your justification for moran winning it, instead of having to admit that he won it on merit. Fanboy stuff.
    That sentence doesnt really make sense but whatever.
    I have no issue if Andy Moran wins it, I am a fan of his, I think he is an excellent and very intelligent player, but that does not alter the fact he has not been head and shoulders above everyone else this year.  In fact the last player that was, was probably James ODonogue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

Reading the comments on this forum....i cant wait till we stick it to Mayo again next year...all these defeats have made their supporters bitter and delusional, one lad is actually contradicting himself the more he posts! I know Mayo are losers, but now their bitter losers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

But if you were a Tipperary player sitting down to pick one, its only human nature, if you are 50/50 to say hey McCarthy has won the All Ireland, Moran deserves something considering he is coming to end of a long career too

From the past 10 years 8/10 POTY were from the All Ireland winning team.

Maybe some players will vote with sympathy but I can't see it influencing the vast majority of inter county players.

I just hope that IF Andy wins, we don't see a load of Dublin fans disregarding the achievement as a consolation prize.

I think you are fighting a losing battle.
    Begrudgery towards everyone not from Dublin seems ingrained in some people at this stage.
    They are unwilling to concede that any player is better than a Dublin player.

Like I said earlier, the idea that Stephen "kick it 5 yards to the corner back" Cluxton should win it over Andy Moran is laughable.
    As for split voting, Mayo also have two players in the running, something conveniently overlooked.

Let's see what other excuses and conspiracy theories they come up with!

I have no issue if Andy Moran wins it, I am a fan of his, I think he is an excellent and very intelligent player, but that does not alter the fact he has not been head and shoulders above everyone else this year. In fact the last player that was, was probably James ODonogue

He doesn't need to be head and shoulders ahead, he just needs to be ahead, and he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

I just hope that IF Andy wins, we don't see a load of Dublin fans disregarding the achievement as a consolation prize.

The same way people are disregarding this Dublin teams all ireland success and the 3 in a row?

• Advertisement

The whiff of begrudgery from you towards anyone not from Dublin is overpowering at this stage.

What is it about Dubliners wanting everything and not willing to give anything to the rest of the country?
    If you have read previous and later posts who will notice I am fan of Moran and the Mayo team in general for their heart and fight.  Its more a select few Mayo supporters (no names mentioned) who refuse to accept that anything Dublin related may be superior to Mayo.  I get it that there has to be some sort of bitterness over the last few years but I think most fans have balanced opinions and arguments which seem to be lacking in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Winners mentality.

Do whatever it takes.

What we have we hold.

Nice guys finish last.

Take your pick really. :D

Reading the comments on this forum....i cant wait till we stick it to Mayo again next year...all these defeats have made their supporters bitter and delusional, one lad is actually contradicting himself the more he posts! I know Mayo are losers, but now their bitter losers!!

Not bitter and delusional enough to believe split voting only affects Dublin but not Mayo nominees.

If nothing else, Dublin supporters make me laugh.

Mayoaremagic is one fan on one forum. He does not represent the 130,000+ people of Mayo who treat the game and players with respect.

Your comments are rude and disrespectful. The Mayo players owe their county nothing, and we are extremely proud of them.

I have no issue if Andy Moran wins it, I am a fan of his, I think he is an excellent and very intelligent player, but that does not alter the fact he has not been head and shoulders above everyone else this year.  In fact the last player that was, was probably James ODonogue

He doesn't need to be head and shoulders ahead, he just needs to be ahead, and he is.
    In your opinion and others opinion not and people forward arguments which you refuse to even acknowledge

The same way people are disregarding this Dublin teams all ireland success and the 3 in a row?

Two posts, neither about Footballer of the year.

Say hello to ignore!

Mayoaremagic is one fan on one forum. He does not represent the 130,000+ people of Mayo who treat the game and players with respect.

Your comments are rude and disrespectful. The Mayo players owe their county nothing, and we are extremely proud of them.

He has no interest in discussing footballer of the year and is only interested in winding up Mayo supporters. Probably best to do like me and put him on ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,966 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Of course there will be Dub fans queuing up to disregard it. The ones that come out with 'one kick ruling a player' out.

They will not be happy until Dublin are crowned greatest team in the galaxy or some such. :)

Of course there is bias on both sides Shurimgreat.  The fact you slagged off Stephen kick it 5 yards Cluxton just shows that you suffer from the same complex

No one can disregard it. It is a fantastic achievement.

The articles/ comments/ forums after the game are still dominated by Mayo and Duiblin fans trying to out do each other.

Keegan's GPS V Eoin O'Gara's hand in Boyle's face

Clarke V Cluxton

Moran V McCarthy

We are very similar. There is nothing between us. But if Mayo had won, I certainly wouldn't be fighting pointless arguments online. I would ignore it all and enjoy the victory.

• Advertisement

My question is for those who say Andy Moran was so great, apart from the first game against Kerry when was he this amazing unstoppable player?
    In all the championship games he was MOM once and that was the first Kerry game

Begrudgery towards everyone not from Dublin seems ingrained in some people at this stage.

Like I said earlier, the idea that Stephen "kick it 5 yards to the corner back" Cluxton should win it over Andy Moran is laughable.
    As for split voting, Mayo also have two players in the running, something conveniently overlooked.

To be honest man, the battle is long won. Split voting for the POTY has been 100% debunked for any objective poster, moran is the front-runner and deservingly so for any objective poster.
    Just because 2-3 biased lads cant bring themselves to admit they are wrong and instead try to bring everything into a p*ssing match, respond with straw man arguments or bring up the poster's county etc etc makes little difference in the bigger picture. Im fully aware those lads wont admit they are wrong, but it isn't them Im posting for. It is to highlight how unfair they are and how little they actually follow gaa. Dublin have far too many Dublin gaa fans, rather than gaa fans, this thread shows it. They have good fans too, but it is just a shame that they stay silent when these lads to put out a bad image of their county.

To be honest man, the battle is long won. Split voting for the POTY has been 100% debunked for any objective poster, moran is the front-runner and deservingly so for any objective poster.
    Just because 2-3 biased lads cant bring themselves to admit they are wrong and instead try to bring everything into a p*ssing match, respond with straw man arguments or bring up the poster's county etc etc makes little difference in the bigger picture. Im fully aware those lads wont admit they are wrong, but it isn't them Im posting for. It is to highlight how unfair they are and how little they actually follow gaa. Dublin have far too many Dublin gaa fans, rather than gaa fans, this thread shows it. They have good fans too, but it is just a shame that they stay silent when these lads to put out a bad image of their county.
    Its the likes of you who give Mayo fans a bad name.  No doubt you were blaming "Dublin Joe" after the game too?
    And from some of your posts it seems your knowledge of football is quite limited and is blinded by a red and green tint and its not a coincidence that threads usually get locked when you get involved in debates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

FFS!
    There are two nominated from Mayo and two nominated from Dublin.
    So why should split voting impact Dublin but not Mayo?
    This is getting ridiculous.

At the end of the day, people will vote for who they think is the best footballer.

That is the crux of the matter.

My question is for those who say Andy Moran was so great, apart from the first game against Kerry when was he this amazing unstoppable player?

3-24 all from play this year. What do you want from a corner forward? Scores.
    I could argue what stand out moments did James McCarthy have this year?

Apart from the final, what games did he shine above others?

3-24 all from play this year. What do you want from a corner forward? Scores.
    I could argue what stand out moments did James McCarthy have this year?

Apart from the final, what games did he shine above others?
    3-24 is a great haul. He outscored Con OCallaghan by 1-4  with 4 games more played.
    Thats the point I am making, Andy Moran had his huge game against Kerry and McCarthy had his in the final.  Thats why its a 50/50 call, There should be no complaints from anyone if either won the award

Its the likes of you who give Mayo fans a bad name. No doubt you were blaming "Dublin Joe" after the game too?
    And from some of your posts it seems your knowledge of football is quite limited and is blinded by a red and green tint and its not a coincidence that threads usually get locked when you get involved in debates.

Why are you putting words in my mouth? Never mentioned Dublin Joe or any other Joe.
    Address the points put to you for once and maybe less of the grandstanding.

Its the likes of you who give Mayo fans a bad name.  No doubt you were blaming "Dublin Joe" after the game too?

Why are you putting words in my mouth? Never mentioned Dublin Joe or any other Joe.
    Address the points put to you for once and maybe less of the grandstanding.
    What points are they?

BTW good to know you dont have an issue with the referee from the final, who did a decent job all things considered
    When you say Andy Moran was top class all year and deserves POTY, why did he only get MOM on one game?  James McCarthy was consistently good this year and got MOM once too.  So that makes them neck and neck in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

squrm wrote: »
    Ehh...... you think?!

Cluxton has been sitting at home staring at the wall, wondering what might have been... oh, and contemplating his 5 All Irelands, ten Leinsters and four national leagues... 'tis a hard life for young Stephen. Must do better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

What points are they?

BTW good to know you dont have an issue with the referee from the final, who did a decent job all things considered
    When you say Andy Moran was top class all year and deserves POTY, why did he only get MOM on one game?  James McCarthy was consistently good this year and got MOM once too.  So that makes them neck and neck in my book.

He done a decent job? He should have sent off O Gara in the first half also.

Did you watch any football this year apart from the Dubs? Moran was a factor in every game he player. McCarthy stood out in the AI Final and had a decent year beforehand.

McCarthy wasnt even a factor in POTY before last Sunday, and had Rock missed that free, it would probably have went to Barrett who was immense for 70 minutes, not 35

Advertisement