Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Footballer of the Year

Options

Comments

ArielAtom wrote: »
    McCarthy wasnt on the radar? Ah lad come out of the fog....you must of been too focused on the Saturday qualifiers throughout the summer...McCarthy was the most consistent player through out every game in the Championship, and just happened to then put in an epic second half in an all Ireland final to get his team over the line....against a team by looking at some of the comments on this thread, consisted off half a dozen contenders for POTY...

Well i'm not sure Mcloughlin would call this dangerous tackle by McCarthy epic, another for the blind Charlie Redmond.
    download.jpg

fscEye85TzxphgdHm9cR0vZ8oWJg5VENGUMxSNwGYgOrcwZWHn-FWCombQEWKid6LhYQ=s85

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seligehgit wrote:
    So it's Moran,Mannion and another Dublin player(take your pick as it's a long list) with none of this nonsense about split votes.

It's not nonsense though seligehgit,

If it's Boyle and Moran vs McCarthy Moran will have less chance than if it is
    Moran vs McCarthy or Mannion it works both ways imo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Stoner wrote: »

But Stoner all three nominees irrespective of their county allegiance are voted upon by their peers so presumably those voting will vote for any one of the candidates on their merits.The fact that is likely to be two Dublin players should make no difference if for example there is a groundswell of support nationwide for James McCarthy as the standout candidate.

I really don't think division of the county allegiances and ratio of same should make any difference?Respect your right to disagree.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

seligehgit wrote: »
    But Stoner all three nominees irrespective of their county allegiance are voted upon by their peers so presumably those voting will vote for any one of the candidates on their merits.The fact that is likely to be two Dublin players should make no difference if for example there is a groundswell of support nationwide for James McCarthy as the standout candidate.

I really don't think division of the county allegiances and ratio of same should make any difference?Respect your right to disagree.;)

I think if it's one from a County it makes that groundswell easier to happen and be bought into. Two players from a single county does, in a strange way weaken both of there cases as people might vote one or the other. E.g. So if 50% think Dublin were the best team they played 25% might go Mccarthy and 25% Con. If 50% people say Mayo were the story of the championship then Moran might get 80% of that vote etc.

Players like most people get pulled along by the media. I think the Mayo story lends itself well to Moran winning it and he, along with a few if the Dublin lads if they win would be well deserving.

It doesn't always have to be one or the other (general point btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,225 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Evidence that people feel bad for mayo.. Not a lot else.
    Colm parkinson stated that he felt bad for Cluxton pre 2011. Cluxton never won poty in that time though, so feeling bad for someone is not proof that they will deliberately rob a more deserving candidate of their accolade. In fact if cluxton were to win it this year, it would arguably be the first heart ruling head poty award that the players have voted for.

No, Keegan last year was the heart ruling the head, nobody thought Mayo would come back from that defeat and there was an awful lot of sympathy for him and them. With Moran likely to retire, that sympathy will continue.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the POTY go regularly to one of the gallant losers over the next few years if Moran gets it this year as it becomes seen as a consolation prize for missing out on an All-Ireland medal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Barlett

blanch152 wrote: »
    No, Keegan last year was the heart ruling the head, nobody thought Mayo would come back from that defeat and there was an awful lot of sympathy for him and them. With Moran likely to retire, that sympathy will continue.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the POTY go regularly to one of the gallant losers over the next few years if Moran gets it this year as it becomes seen as a consolation prize for missing out on an All-Ireland medal.

Sure how do you know? What's the point even nominating POTY if only one from the champions wins? If you are nominated to win it then surely you must've had a good enough season that it's acceptable you could win it.

Barlett wrote: »
    Sure how do you know? What's the point even nominating POTY if only one from the champions wins? If you are nominated to win it then surely you must've had a good enough season that it's acceptable you could win it.

Bernard Brogan won his on sympathy, as did Lee Keegan, it isn't a consistent trend but Andy Moran would make it two-in-a-row and if Dublin keep winning, a trend may well develop.

At the end of the day, it is only a POTY award, it is nothing compared to an All-Ireland medal so I won't be losing sleep over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If there is a standout player of the year then that player will win it, same as it ever was. The only time you see players getting the "legacy" awards is when there isn't really a standout candidate and so such narratives are used to pick from a bunch of players who were all of a similar level.

This year for example, did Moran give performances for the ages? Was he some unstoppable juggernaut that tore his way through defence after defence?
    No, he wasn't, but then neither was anybody else. And he was at least as good as anybody else so the extra few percent from the pity votes won't really do any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭squrm

Cluxton, Clarke, McCarthy and Moran.

This will be fun..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Cluxton?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No Geaney

Certain individuals have just had their corn flakes ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Clarke should get it for the laugh

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

squrm wrote:
    Cluxton, Clarke, McCarthy and Moran.

Good that it's 2 from each now though.
    Will be a better reward for whomever wins it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

ArielAtom wrote: »
    McCarthy wasnt on the radar? Ah lad come out of the fog....you must of been too focused on the Saturday qualifiers throughout the summer...McCarthy was the most consistent player through out every game in the Championship, and just happened to then put in an epic second half in an all Ireland final to get his team over the line....against a team by looking at some of the comments on this thread, consisted off half a dozen contenders for POTY...

Well i'm not sure Mcloughlin would call this dangerous tackle by McCarthy epic, another for the blind Charlie Redmond.
    download.jpg

fscEye85TzxphgdHm9cR0vZ8oWJg5VENGUMxSNwGYgOrcwZWHn-FWCombQEWKid6LhYQ=s85
    You have quoted me. I did not post the original of the quoted post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Surprised Con O'Callaghan hasn't got more attention. I think because he's going to win ypoty they've left him out. MOTM vs Kildare, magic performance against Tyrone, great goal again Mayo and although he didn't score afterwards he retained back really well and was still one of our best forwards. He's probably scored the two best goals of the season, in the SF and F all Ireland games. If he was 25 years old I feel like he'd have at least been nominated for poty.

I've always been a big McCarthy fan but have to say I was a little surprised when his name was so actively mentioned. The more I think about it the more I realise he's been very good I suppose. Wouldn't begrudge him or Moran

Surprised Con O'Callaghan hasn't got more attention. I think because he's going to win ypoty they've left him out. MOTM vs Kildare, magic performance against Tyrone, great goal again Mayo and although he didn't score afterwards he retained back really well and was still one of our best forwards. He's probably scored the two best goals of the season, in the SF and F all Ireland games. If he was 25 years old I feel like he'd have at least been nominated for poty.

It was an excellent goal v Tyrone. The goal in the final was only after a massive overtravel, Twice!. Nobody is going to catch you if the ref lets you run 20 yards with one hop of the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkMMxm-DfAE

It was an excellent goal v Tyrone. The goal in the final was only after a massive overtravel, Twice!. Nobody is going to catch you if the ref lets you run 20 yards with one hop of the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkMMxm-DfAE

7 steps, by your own videos admission. The 4 steps rule isn't and has never been enforced, players get away with 6-8 steps several times a game. If you tried to track the number of times players weren't called up for 6-8 steps in your average game you'd lose count very soon.

kilns wrote: »
    Clarke should get it for the laugh

They are really making a mockery of it now. Kicks away the All-Ireland and is nominated for POTY.

Andy Moran took 7 steps for Lee Keegans goal, so I guess both goals were illegal so

Andy Moran took 7 steps for Lee Keegans goal, so I guess both goals were illegal so

You could probably cancel half of the scores from Sunday if we were seriously enforcing the 4 steps rule.

• Advertisement

That just shows you up as a liar kilns, he didn't take 7 steps, but you already knew that. You need to watch the video again for Keegans goal(perfectly legal), unlike O'Callaghans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfipsyLllLA

That just shows you up as a liar kilns, he didn't take 7 steps, but you already knew that You need to watch the video again for Keegans goal(perfectly legal).

Are you serious??  or just cant count
    Andy Moran from the moment he caught the ball to the moment he handpassed it took 7 steps.

Andy Moran from the moment he caught the ball to the moment he handpassed it took 7 steps.

He must have awful small steps :rolleyes:

That just shows you up as a liar kilns, he didn't take 7 steps, but you already knew that You need to watch the video again for Keegans goal(perfectly legal).

The rule is not enforced strictly but dont go moaning about O'Callaghans goal, if Mayos goal was technically illegal also

He must have awful small steps :rolleyes:
    It doesnt matter if they are long strides or small strides a step is a step and he took 7, God you cant even admit that. There is no hope for you

Andy Moran also took about 9 steps before kicking his first point.

If we want to get pedantic about rules, Dublin should have had another free at the end after Clarke's kick-out went over the sideline as the Mayo players didn't retreat the 13m.

It doesnt matter if they are long strides or small strides a step is a step and he took 7, God you cant even admit that. There is no hope for you

You may want to slow it down for yourself :eek:. Your imagining things now.

Do you know what a step is, should I get the dictionary out for you
    Continue in your dillusional world there.
    As others have stated the rule is not strictly enforced

• Registered Users Posts: 66,968 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They are really making a mockery of it now. Kicks away the All-Ireland and is nominated for POTY.

Had Dublin lost Cluxton would be taking a lot of the blame on the day. He was awful in the first half and Mayo should have been a lot further ahead. That they were not had nothing to do with Cluxton.

Is his nomination a mockery too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Stoner wrote: »

It is nonsense actually. The thing is voted on by the players, for the players. They don't vote on a per county basis, they vote for the player.
    Let's take your example there. Moran has been better than boyle, so why would people start voting for boyle; the outsider, simply because he is from mayo, rather than Moran or McCarthy?

What you describe is relevant in local elections where people vote for a guy from their area, because they want someone from their area as a councillor so they can get their road fixed, with who it is not really that important. If two guys run, they split the vote in the area and the guy from the neighbouring area, who is the only guy running from there, gets in ahead of the two of them. It isn't applicable for poty because the parameters are completely different - nobody is voting for someone based on where they are from. Like whose vote is getting split in your above example? The mayo players? They only get about 25 votes anyway, same as every other county. Fair enough all the dubs would probably vote for McCarthy, but that is hardly an example of split voting. Id imagine most of the mayo lads would vote for moran anyway. Plus there are 800-odd votes from neurtal counties to be factored in, which would completely overpower any difference in the Mayo-Dublin players vote. So what votes are getting split?

Advertisement