Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Footballer of the Year

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

blanch152 wrote: »
    I agree fully with you, and that means I can understand Moran getting player of the year, being singularly outstanding, but that means Dublin should be picking up 9 or 10 All-Stars, yet the same people who want Moran to win will also be pushing 7 or 8 Mayomen for All-Stars.

All stars tend to go to singularly outstanding players also tbh. Although the press tend to try to keep people happy with some selections by keeping to certain quotas of players allowed from each county based on where they finished, so I don't tend to put too much value in it personally.

For the record, name your 10 Dublin all stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,149 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

All stars tend to go to singularly outstanding players also tbh. Although the press tend to try to keep people happy with some selections by keeping to certain quotas of players allowed from each county based on where they finished, so I don't tend to put too much value in it personally.

For the record, name your 10 Dublin all stars.

I never said that there should be 10 Dublin All-Stars.

What I am saying is that if Moran is so good to be deserving of POTY, yet Mayo lost two Championship matches, had a poor League and only beat one Division 1 team in the Championship, then few of their other players can have been outstanding enough to get All-Stars, meaning those who call for Moran to win POTY should also be calling for only 3-4 Mayo All-Stars. That could mean up to 10 Dublin All-Stars. That is the logic of Moran for POTY.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Is there a reason we can't discuss the All Ireland final, or the All ireland championship, in the week after the final, in a GAA forum? Championship/match thread closed for cleanup since Monday

blanch152 wrote: »
    I never said that there should be 10 Dublin All-Stars.

What I am saying is that if Moran is so good to be deserving of POTY, yet Mayo lost two Championship matches, had a poor League and only beat one Division 1 team in the Championship, then few of their other players can have been outstanding enough to get All-Stars, meaning those who call for Moran to win POTY should also be calling for only 3-4 Mayo All-Stars. That could mean up to 10 Dublin All-Stars. That is the logic of Moran for POTY.

You said that if the all stars were given out to singularly outstanding players, then Dublin would get 9-10.

Well the all stars are in fact given out to singularly outstanding players, and always have been... A solid team player would rarely if ever get the award over the guy who won the team a couple of games for example, even if they had more ability in general.

So Im just wondering who the 10 players actually are who made singularly outstanding contributions for Dublin that outweigh all other candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭corny

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Is there a reason we can't discuss the All Ireland final, or the All ireland championship, in the week after the final, in a GAA forum? Championship/match thread closed for cleanup since Monday

The same posters are completely derailing every thread. The match thread would just be another one corrupted.

• Advertisement

There is something very sad about a county winning 3 in a row, and so many of their fans consumed with knocking the team that they beat, rather than going out and enjoying the thing.

There is such a thing as a good winner...

I think Charlie the Clown redmond is the worst of them. He has spent the whole week moaning about Keegan to anybody that would listen, after Dublin wining the All Ireland last year he did the same with O'Connor. Not a word out of him about any of the Dublin discretion's, he doesn't have a clue what balance is but somehow the Hearld hire him as a journalist. He would want to learn a bit of grace something the current Dublin players or manager could teach him.

This all from a player who cheated by playing on in a game after he was sent of. He is an All star Hypocrite if there was ever one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I think Charlie the Clown redmond is the worst of them. He has spent the whole week moaning about Keegan to anybody that would listen, after Dublin wining the All Ireland last year he did the same with O'Connor. Not a word out of him about any of the Dublin discretion's, he doesn't have a clue what balance is but somehow the Hearld hire him as a journalist. He would want to learn a bit of grace something the current Dublin players or manager could teach him.

This all from a player who cheated by playing on in a game after he was sent of. He is an All star Hypocrite if there was ever one.

Agreed. Its like there's a competition in Dublin to see who can be the biggest whinger this week!

The funniest thing is mayomaffia, there's been far more and prolonged moaning coming out of Dublin than from Mayo.

Most Mayo people have already moved on and are looking forward and this seems to p*ss many Dubs off!

Its time for Dubs to move forward too!

The celebrations have been fairly muted in Dublin by the way from what I can see.

Ah well that is obvious to anyone with any bit of cop on. The man is a parody of himself. Im half expecting him to announce that he is the man behind Waterford Whispers, and it is all an elaborate rouse.. In all seriousness, any player who refuses to go off after being sent off, should be shunned completely as far as Im concerned. You couldn't show any more disrespect for the game if you tried.

Im more talking about the fans on here. Some, not all obviously, but the impression you get is that Dublin gaa is the medium they use to vent their disdain for people from down the country, rather than any great interest in the sport. When you consider we are all from the same island, and only a few hours drive apart at most, you would wonder how they have managed to build up this notion that we are so different to one another. It's actually quite depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

Agreed. Its like there's a competition in Dublin to see who can be the biggest whinger this week!

The funniest thing is mayomaffia, there's been far more and prolonged moaning coming out of Dublin than from Mayo.

Most Mayo people have already moved on and are looking forward and this seems to p*ss many Dubs off!

Its time for Dubs to move forward too!

Hmmmmmmmm you only posted this less than a hour ago:p

It comes down to resources.
    Everything is loaded in Dublins favour, whereas everything is loaded against most other counties, particularly rural counties.
    Most young professionals work in cities, particularly Dublin. They attend college in cities. Collective training with their own counties becomes a nightmare.
    No county has a shirt sponsorship deal like AIGs with Dublin. No county has the same spend on player development, on coaches for young players. No county has the same number of young players.
    The odds are heavily against all but a few counties.

Two things amaze me.
    1. Give that all the odds are stacked against most counties, its amazing so many different counties have won AIs and managed to stay competitive up until recently.
    2. Given the huge advantages Dublin have, its amazing they haven't won every single AI in the last 100 years. Just why Dublin was so relatively average up until recently is frankly bizarre. It would be akin to Celtic or Real Madrid being a mid table side who occasionally challenged for the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

MOD

The topic of this thread is "Footballer of the Year".

The last few posts are an indication that the thread will descend into the usual spat that has occurred across a number of threads since Sunday. This will either result in the thread being closed or those posters that continually drag the thread off topic will be carded - the choice is yours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

ciarang85 wrote: »
    Hmmmmmmmm you only posted this less than a hour ago:p

Twas a general post replying to someone else.

Re the topic.
    I don't know why they nominate players at all. Just let the players vote for who they want to vote for, then publish the figures at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The slightly odd thing about Player of the Year is that its based really on just 2 or 3 games.

That is to say - you have provincial final; QF;SF and Final.

Normally you can only really be a contender if you get to the SF at least.

And you'd want to have a strong showing in 2 or 3 games - if your county wins the AI.

Or you'd want to be an absolute colossus in 1 or 2 games - if your county gets to the SF (e.g. Dan Shanahan when he won).

Its not much to go on.......

For example, the games I saw this year - a player that really stood out for me was Rory Beggan; really impressive - but he's not even nominated for an all-star because his team didnt do well enough. But he had an excellent league, was very good against Carlow, against Dublin.

Advertisement